Game thread: New York Knicks vs Denver Nuggets 7:30 3/22/2019 [Game #73]

mafra

Legend
Nits looks like the same player pre-injury, too much to expect that a guy coming off a 2 months layoff is all of a sudden going to show you enough in a few games to make a determination about his future. Best the Knicks can hope for in the remaining games is to showcase him in the hope someone thinks he has enough potential to offer a first round pick for him. I for one don't have much faith in a guy that should have had massive improvement because he's 20 in his second year as a pro.

Bruce Bowen didn?t crack the 5 ppg mark until his age 28 season.

tiger0330

Legend
Bruce Bowen didn?t crack the 5 ppg mark until his age 28 season.
The Knicks are not waiting on Ntilikina until he's 28. He has the summer and training camp to make the front office and coaching staff say "Ntilikina has really improved over the summer". Knicks have until the day before the season opener to pick up his 4th yr option but I think the decision has been made to move on from him before then.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks are not waiting on Ntilikina until he's 28. He has the summer and training camp to make the front office and coaching staff say "Ntilikina has really improved over the summer". Knicks have until the day before the season opener to pick up his 4th yr option but I think the decision has been made to move on from him before then.

I get the sense the organization has already given up on him; perhaps they did so right after drafting him. Dolan said Phil was fired right after making the selection, in part for taking Frank.

Perry, Fiz, Mills, Dolan all seem ambivalent to Nits, which makes you wonder why he wasn?t dealt when they had the chance.

Why was Fiz adamant about coaching up Mudiay but not so much Frank?

I agree that we aren?t waiting another 8 years for Frank... we probably are done with him already.

But, would it surprise me for Frank to end up in a SA situation, develop a consistent 3, while moving the ball and playing solid defense, and being a cog in some championship machine? No, not really.

The kid is coachable, only 20/21, and wants to make the right play. There?s something in there, but this .org won?t polish it out of him.

tiger0330

Legend
I get the sense the organization has already given up on him; perhaps they did so right after drafting him. Dolan said Phil was fired right after making the selection, in part for taking Frank.

Perry, Fiz, Mills, Dolan all seem ambivalent to Nits, which makes you wonder why he wasn’t dealt when they had the chance.

Why was Fiz adamant about coaching up Mudiay but not so much Frank?

I agree that we aren’t waiting another 8 years for Frank... we probably are done with him already.

But, would it surprise me for Frank to end up in a SA situation, develop a consistent 3, while moving the ball and playing solid defense, and being a cog in some championship machine? No, not really.

The kid is coachable, only 20/21, and wants to make the right play. There’s something in there, but this .org won’t polish it out of him.

I watched the Rox/Spurs and I was thinking maybe we could talk them into trading either Forbes or White for Nits given how much they like Euros there and Murray coming back next year. I'm sure Pop could develop Frank more than the Knicks could/would.

Broadway

All Star
Even tho Frank wasn’t the main PG while on the floor, he still had a 5:0 assists:turnover ratio (to Mudiay’s 4:3).

Frank also posted best +/- of the game...

Did you know that Mudiay best Knits in most stats this season, practically dead even on Ast/TO ratio? This is what his apologists have been doing all yr bouncing stat-to-stat trying to justify his ability to be held on to. Anyone can google the season as a whole instead of cherry picking games and stats within a game which would eventually lead one to no mans land

+/- is a garbage stat we've been there done that this season already. Kevin Knox is by far the worst on the team collectively and Trier/Dotson are also amongst the worst on the team

I will say last half of the 4th qrt Mudiay wasn't good AT ALL besides his ball movement, but if Mr. GINGER could ever play more than a month of basketball without getting a hangnail maybe just maybe we wouldn't be relying on Mudiay so much. With that being said without Mudiay's play for 3qrts we would have got blown out by the Clippers today

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I prefer a guy shooting 1-6 for 5 than a guy chucking 20 shots to reach 19 points.

With guys like DSJ and Knox, you need guys like Knits and MRob. Somebody has to pass and play defense.

While I’m not buying stock in Knits/Knox future... I understand they’re both young. At least for Frank, he seems to want to
Be a team player and he does have an NBA skill — defensive prowess.

This doesn’t mean I wouldn’t trade him tomorrow...

You must can stand Knox then oh and btw this would fall under the PPS stat...did you know Mudiay is towards the upper half on the team in PPS?

Did you know all of Knox, DSJ, Knits, Dotson are all below him? Maf if you'd like a link to look up team stats in depth I can drop a good site to do so

Broadway

All Star
Nits looks like the same player pre-injury, too much to expect that a guy coming off a 2 months layoff is all of a sudden going to show you enough in a few games to make a determination about his future. Best the Knicks can hope for in the remaining games is to showcase him in the hope someone thinks he has enough potential to offer a first round pick for him. I for one don't have much faith in a guy that should have had massive improvement because he's 20 in his second year as a pro.

Actually if we buy the bill of goods that was sold to us concerning Knits he has far more experience as a professional right? Isn't this the get when talking about overseas prospects who play professionally or is this an oversell. Luka has looked better than advertised and many doubted him to be rated such a high prospect...he's younger too. Knits doesn't even look like rotation player at times

mafra

Legend
You must can stand Knox then oh and btw this would fall under the PPS stat...did you know Mudiay is towards the upper half on the team in PPS?

Did you know all of Knox, DSJ, Knits, Dotson are all below him? Maf if you'd like a link to look up team stats in depth I can drop a good site to do so

Always appreciate a good link.

I?m not ?felling it? for either Knox or Knits. The only thing they have going for them is they are young and both possess a viable NBA skill set. Nits can defend and Knox can score.

I give them both a pass, a bit, bc the organization is a complete disaster. I mean, I wonder what their growth looks like if they can play reserve next 3 years, if Kyrie, KD, and Zion arrive.

If you ask me, personally, I trade Knox and Knits for Ja Murrant.

To me, I go back to musicians... lots of folks can be in tune and make music, but if you lack that magnetism... there ain?t a star in there.

Nits and Knox are limited bc they lack that competitive ferver... that utter disdain for failure. To me, they?re just talented guys who are content playing in the NBA. If that doesn?t change, they?re nothing more than a dime a dozen gents, who may possibly post a career year but nothing more.

Broadway

All Star
Always appreciate a good link.

I’m not “felling it” for either Knox or Knits. The only thing they have going for them is they are young and both possess a viable NBA skill set. Nits can defend and Knox can score.

I give them both a pass, a bit, bc the organization is a complete disaster. I mean, I wonder what their growth looks like if they can play reserve next 3 years, if Kyrie, KD, and Zion arrive.

If you ask me, personally, I trade Knox and Knits for Ja Murrant.

To me, I go back to musicians... lots of folks can be in tune and make music, but if you lack that magnetism... there ain’t a star in there.

Nits and Knox are limited bc they lack that competitive ferver... that utter disdain for failure. To me, they’re just talented guys who are content playing in the NBA. If that doesn’t change, they’re nothing more than a dime a dozen gents, who may possibly post a career year but nothing more.

Ja is the real deal. I haven't spoke on him much but I did say a while back he's so good we just may have to consider drafting a guard again. He has the IT factor the desire not to make it, or be be good, not even great...but possibly one of the best ever.

Knox and Knits motors are low and quite frankly both are limited. Whatever upgrade we may acquire via free agency or draft most player are going to look good playing alongside them so that isn't saying much. Yeah some players might appear to be better fits playing with others but with Elite Talent this can be overstated at times

Take for instance Brandon Ingram played some of his best ball this season when Lebron was out of the lineup or resting, he struggled early in the season with him. Hart looked much better last yr without Lebron. Tatum and Brown took a step back this yr for the Celtics playing more games with Kyrie and Hayward. James Harden went absolutely ape without CP3...it really just depends and there has to be good balance between players improving on their own and "coaching"

Rebecca Harlow said Mudiay and Hezonja are some of the hardest working Knicks on the team players thought to be the true tankers but when both were out via DNPs and injury this team was still losing games at an alarming rate. There was plenty time for others to step up their game, it never happened.

Important to keep in mind that even with the worst record, we have a 60% chance of picking 4th or 5th and a 40% chance of a top 3 pick. At this point, Zion is the obvious #1 and Ja is the obvious #2. We can only hope that we get a top 2 pick, against the odds, to even have a shot at Ja.

If we do get a top 2 pick and we don?t take Zion or Ja, I give up with this franchise. I really hope that we would not pass on a potential superstar guard because of our current roster makeup or the potential results of free agency.

mafra

Legend
RJ and White May not be on the same ?WOW? level as the other two, but this may be like the Blake G draft... he was a good pick, but so were Harden and Westbrook.

Anything outside the top 4 is a crap shoot, and I?m not even sure White is the 4th best prospect... but he looks good to me.

tiger0330

Legend
RJ and White May not be on the same “WOW” level as the other two, but this may be like the Blake G draft... he was a good pick, but so were Harden and Westbrook.

Anything outside the top 4 is a crap shoot, and I’m not even sure White is the 4th best prospect... but he looks good to me.

If Coby is the best the Knicks get, this draft will be a bust. We've got enough help at the guard position, I don't think Coby is anymore of a game changer than DSJ or Mudiay.