home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Miami HeatNew York Knicks
No injuries to reportFrank Ntilikina - Sore groin (OUT)
-Allonzo Trier - Strained left calf (OUT)
-Noah Vonleh - Sprained right ankle (OUT)
--
-

Game Preview

The Miami Heat, whose comeback win on Thursday landed them in playoff position -- for the moment at least -- hit the road on Saturday to play the New York Knicks, who have the worst record in the NBA at 14-61.

The Knicks are playing out the string this season as they dream of a summer bonanza in which they could potentially draft a difference-maker such as Zion Williamson, Ja Morant or RJ Barrett, and sign free agents such as Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving or Kemba Walker.

Meanwhile, with less than two weeks remaining in the regular season, there are five teams closely bunched in the Eastern Conference playoff race -- the Detroit Pistons, Brooklyn Nets, Orlando Magic, Charlotte Hornets and the Heat.

Only three of those squads will make the postseason, and the Heat (37-38) looked determined to qualify on Thursday, rallying to defeat the Dallas Mavericks 105-99.

Point guard Goran Dragic, starting his first game since Dec. 10 in a season slowed by a knee injury, had a rare triple-double on Thursday -- just the second of his career -- posting 23 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists.

He and Mavs rookie shooting guard Luka Doncic -- the only two current NBA players from Slovenia -- were supported by an estimated 2,500 fans from their home country who traveled to Miami for the game.

"It felt like we were in (Slovenian capital) Ljubljana," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said.

It remains to be seen if Dragic can carry the spirit he felt on Thursday throughout the rest of the season.

Of Miami's 75 games this season, Dragic has played just 29. His previous low in terms of games played was 55 in his rookie season of 2008-2009.

His per-game numbers are also in decline. He averaged 20.3 points and 5.8 assists in 2016-2017 but slipped to 17.3 points and 4.8 assists last season and 14.2 points and 4.3 assists in 2018-19.

Dragic, who turns 33 in May, had looked particularly bad in the three games before Thursday, combining to score just 11 points on 4-for-24 shooting.

But then starting guard Josh Richardson (left heel) landed on the injury report, where he joined point guard Justise Winslow (right thigh) and wing Rodney McGruder (left knee).

The Heat -- desperate to make the playoffs in the final season of retiring legend Dwyane Wade -- turned to Dragic for help, and he saved them.

The Knicks, coached by ex-Heat assistant David Fizdale, have dropped 13 of their past 14 games. They are 0-4 on their current homestand, including a 117-92 loss to the Toronto Raptors on Thursday.

All four of New York's losses in this home stretch were by at least 20 points.

One bright spot on Thursday was rookie center Mitchell Robinson, a second-round steal who came off the bench to score 19 points, grab 21 rebounds and block two shots in 31 minutes.

He became the first Knicks rookie to log 19-and-21 since Willis Reed in 1965.

Robinson made 8 of 12 field goals and 3 of 6 free throws while grabbing nine offensive rebounds.

"I knew how close I was," said Robinson, who was trying to reach the 20-20 milestone. "But my arms got tired."

The Knicks also got good news when rookie first-round pick Kevin Knox returned from a sprained ankle and former Mavs first-round point guard Dennis Smith came back after missing six games due to a back injury.

However, neither player looked good. Knox made 3 of 10 shots for nine points. Smith made 2 of 11 shots for seven points.

"The back is still sore," Fizdale said of Smith. "But he wants to go."

In the end, it was yet another loss for the Knicks, who have missed the playoffs for the sixth straight season, doing so with five different head coaches.

The last time the Knicks won at least one playoff series in consecutive seasons was in 2000.

"We don't play to lose," Knicks guard Emmanuel Mudiay said. "You get frustrated with the losing, but you stick with the positives."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Looks like Fiz wants to stick it to his homie Spoelstra and play spoiler to his playoff hopes. The boys start out fast, 7-9 from the field 19-18 Heat middle of the 1st.

tiger0330

Legend
I've been saying Fiz needed to be tougher and Breen saying he's doing that but did he have to wait until the end to do it.

MRob consistently makes plays that just make your jaw drop. Perimeter steal, off balance pass in traffic to Mudiay, and then throws down the alley oop on the other end. Basket didn?t count, but still.

tiger0330

Legend
Sensational alley oop Mud to MRob, didn't count because of a foul but the rook seems to be able to catch everything, wasn't a perfect pass. I expect Fiz to make him a key part of the offense next season with plays designed around him.

tiger0330

Legend
Strong first for the boys 60% shooting, 8 dimes they lead by 4 33-29. That tongue lashing Fiz gave them seems to have lit a fire under them.

Broadway

All Star
Robinson is showing something, I like the kid...Knox otoh is really frustrating to watch as much opportunity as he gets

jimkcchief88

All Star
Group suckage my gawd this season can?t wnd fast enough. These guys have only scored 4 points so far and the 4th. Game here for the taking and...dot having an awful night. KK is looking like a rookie...no one playing well. SMH

tiger0330

Legend
Too much to ask that a team that struggles to score like the Knicks could score against a good defensive team like the Heat. Perry I think cleans house so do superstars want to come to the Knicks when they dont know who their teammates will be.

Just read that we have officially clinched a bottom 3 record and a 14% chance of the #1 overall pick (highest percentage possible). If we go 2 - 4 or worse over our last 6 games, we will be guaranteed worst record in the NBA and a top 5 pick, even if Suns lose out (which it now looks like they are trying to do).