home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksHouston Rockets
Frank Ntilikina - Sore groin (OUT)Trevon Duval - G League- Two Way (OUT)
Dennis Smith Jr. - Sore lower back (OUT)Vince Edwards - G League ? Two Way (OUT)
Noah Vonleh - Sprained right ankle (OUT) Isaiah Hartenstein (G League ? Assignment)
Allonzo Trier - Strained left calf (OUT)-
Kadeem Allen - Concussion (OUT)-

Game Preview

Over two months ago, the Houston Rockets needed all 61 of James Harden's points to eke past the New York Knicks.

With three games remaining before the postseason, the Rockets hope they will not need that many points from Harden Friday night when they host the league-worst Knicks.

The Rockets (51-28) enter Friday in third place in the Western Conference with four straight wins and 18 wins in their last 21 games since Feb. 21. Houston is a 1 1/2 games behind second-place Denver, a half-game up on fourth-place Portland and 2 1/2 ahead of fifth-place Utah.

While the Rockets are hosting the Knicks, they will be monitoring the out-of-town scoreboard, as Denver hosts Portland and Utah hosts Sacramento.

They will hope to be doing so after taking care of business, rather than holding on for a 114-110 win over the league's worst team. That was the outcome of Houston's last game against the Knicks on Jan. 23, when Harden posted a career high and tied the record held by Kobe Bryant for the most points by an opposing player at Madison Square Garden.

In the last meeting, Harden hit two go-ahead free throws with 30 seconds remaining and a game-sealing dunk with 3.8 left. He shot 17 of 38 and played 40 minutes. Since then, Harden has played 40 minutes or more six times, but he has played under 40 in seven straight games.

On Wednesday, Harden scored 31 points in 30 minutes, and the Rockets cruised to a 135-103 win over the Los Angeles Clippers. It was Houston's fourth straight double-digit win and the 11th by double digits since the All-Star break.

"It's the best we've played, and it's the right time," Harden said

The Rockets hope to get similar showings from Chris Paul, who scored 29 points against his old team, his second-highest total of the season. Clint Capela added 24 points and 15 rebounds.

"(Chris) is dialed in, and James, too," Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni said after his team shot 53.4 percent and hit 18 3-pointers. "When they play like that, it's pretty tough to lose. We played unbelievably."

The Rockets have won the last six meetings with the Knicks and 25 of the last 27. They are trying to sweep the season series for the 12th time in 14 seasons, facing an opponent whose 15-63 record is 2 1/2 games ahead of Phoenix for the league's worst.

New York must win three of its final four games to avoid matching the worst record in team history, set during the 2014-15 season. The Knicks head to Houston on an eight-game road losing streak and with 15 losses in their last 17 games, since getting consecutive home wins over San Antonio and Orlando on Feb. 24-26.

New York broke a six-game losing streak by beating Chicago on Monday but took a 114-100 loss in Orlando on Wednesday night.

Despite the double-digit loss, Knicks coach David Fizdale was somewhat pleased with how his team responded and is hoping for more of that Friday.

"I was really happy with the way we came in here and played," Fizdale said. "We're playing these games like they're playoff games for us. We gave ourselves a chance, we just didn't finish it off."

Mario Hezonja scored 29 points and was in the starting lineup because Fizdale promised him he would start in Orlando, against his former team. Hezonja likely will come off the bench Friday as Fizdale goes back to starting Luke Kornet, who scored 41 points across the previous two games.

The Knicks played Wednesday's game without rookie Allonzo Trier (strained left calf), Dennis Smith Jr. (back), Noah Vonleh (sprained left ankle) and Kadeem Allen (concussion). All four players may be out again on Friday.

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .... Do I got this right?
None of the Knicks PG on the roster want to play for Fizdale tonight vs two of the NBA Top PG CP3 & Harden.
I did want to see ex-Knick Shumpert shut-down Mudiay, I watch Shumpert shut down DSJ early this season in a Mavs vs Kings game.

Tonight its all on our 2nd season SG Dotson to run the point tonight .. I really wish we had Mark Jackson as our head-coach so we could get our guard rotation straight in one or two seasons.
All our guards & forwards look to have a shoot-first performance under Fizdale's coaching throughout this past season.
Passing the ball 3 or more times before the shot has to be a crime in Fizdale's offensive coaching.
And Fizdale's offensive coaching has made Mudiay's performance look like a shoot-first dribble-dribble poor passing-skills PG throughout this past season. And some fans says Mudiay improve .. as if they did not watch several times how Mudiay on a fast-break take the ball to the hoop having two or three defenders on him for the miss shot.

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks, Rady.

Hezonja starting at PG because literally everyone else is hurt.
LOL That should last for about 1 qtr of play before we see Garrett in at PG. Hoping Mario doesn't set some kind of record for most turnovers in a qtr tonight.

Kiyaman

Legend
How much will Harden score tonight? 50? 60? 80?
Oh wow! I forgot we have a healthy rookie MitchRob, who like to block 3-ball-shots "BlockParty"

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
LOL That should last for about 1 qtr of play before we see Garrett in at PG. Hoping Mario doesn't set some kind of record for most turnovers in a qtr tonight.

Yep .. CP3 is a thief, and Harden sly hand will cause Mario several turnovers .. plus Shump's defense LMAO

tiger0330

Legend
What do u say .... 9 min remaining in the 2nd Qtr. and the score read 17-43 Roc ????
Went to the kitchen for a snack and came back with the Rox now leading 57-31 4 mins left in the 2nd. Dolan should thank the Knicks fans every day instead of banning them for telling him to sell the team, Rox may win the NBA championship this year but look at all the empty seats on the arena. Mills and Perry making their pitch for season ticket sales, they better come through in a big way, Knicks fans should bail on the Knicks if they don't, it's only a 20 min subway ride from MSG to Barclay's.

tiger0330

Legend
40 pt 2nd qtr for the ROX puts the boys in a big hole. 72-43 at the half. This lineup won't have a chance even against that GLeague Bulls team ensuring the worst record in the NBA and team history.

To the bitter end with this team. Getting destroyed tonight. No doubt that this team figured out the tanking strategy that eluded this franchise in recent years. NBA worst record and guaranteed top 5 pick is a lock.

mafra

Legend
Down 40! Hey now... At least there?s no final week win steak to drop us from KAT to KP.

Come on lottery balls! Ping me to the moon...

Losing by 30+ points, but Hezonja did rack up a triple double. Kind of impressive when your team hasn?t even scored 80 points.

Now guaranteed at least a tie of worst record in the NBA. One more loss out of our final 3 and we are guaranteed sole possession of worst record.

mafra

Legend
Just crazy to think you can have worst record and end up with 85% chance of not getting top pick.

Last year, odds were 74% you don?t get it....

Still, either way, at 14% or 25%... either it?s meant to happen or it isn?t.

Just crazy to think you can have worst record and end up with 85% chance of not getting top pick.

Last year, odds were 74% you don?t get it....

Still, either way, at 14% or 25%... either it?s meant to happen or it isn?t.

I think that if the odds of getting the number 1 pick were higher, it would have been a lot harder for us to get the worst record. We?re going to secure it with at most 67 losses. No doubt there are teams that would have been happy to post 70+ losses if it meant a 25% chance at Zion.

tiger0330

Legend
May 14 can't come soon enough. Maybe the most important date in team history if Zion is that once in a generation talent everyone says he is. I don't see anyone passing on him not even the Suns who are desperate for a PG like Ja.

Kiyaman

Legend
At the end of the 3rd quarter the Houston Rockets scored 103 points compared to the Knicks 64 points (Poor Offense/Defense!)!
After last night game the Knicks need to .. Shut it Down .. Fire the head-coach, and coaching-staff .. And let all the players that played a part in the Knicks 25% 3-ball shooting in the last 20 games know they will not be a Knick next season.

Knick Fans are tired of waiting on the LOTTERY instead of the post-season games at the end of the regular season the past 5 seasons !!!