gt.png

DET.gif
at.png
NYK.gif

(40-41) -- (17-64)

VenueTVTIME
Madison Square Garden, New York, NYMSG8:00 PM EST

Game Preview

The Detroit Pistons still control their own playoff destiny heading into the regular-season finale -- but they're not making it easy on themselves.

Leading the Charlotte Hornets by one game for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, the Pistons can lock up a postseason berth with a win against the lowly Knicks in New York on Wednesday.

Detroit seemed like a playoff lock less than two weeks ago but a four-game losing streak put the Pistons in a precarious situation. They were on the verge of a total collapse on Tuesday against the depleted Memphis Grizzlies, who dressed only 10 players, but rallied for a 100-93 home victory.

Detroit (40-41) was down 22 points in the first half and 15 entering the fourth quarter. But the Pistons outscored the Grizzlies 36-14 in the final 12 minutes.

"Getting into the playoffs is not easy," Pistons coach Dwane Casey told the media after the game. "We can talk about it, promote it, we can wish it but it's not easy. It takes a special approach, a special attitude, a special togetherness to get there."

The Pistons can also qualify with a Charlotte loss to Orlando on Wednesday but they'd rather take care of their own business.

Casey used a small lineup out of desperation in the comeback on Tuesday. He went with center Andre Drummond and four guards.

"I was looking for something that might work and it did," he said. "There's no mystery or magic wand. It's called hard play. Those guys scrapped. We gave up some rebounds in some size situations but I thought the energy that group brought changed the game."

Detroit had to go without All-Star forward Blake Griffin most of the second half. Limited by a sore left knee, Griffin scored a season-low five points in 18 minutes. His status for Wednesday's game is questionable.

The Knicks (17-64) are assured of finishing with the league's worst record and have the best shot at winning the draft lottery.

Injuries have piled up and New York will once again play with a short bench on Wednesday. Frank Ntilikina (groin), Allonzo Trier (calf), Kadeem Allen (concussion), Noah Vonleh (ankle), Emmanuel Mudiay (shoulder), Mario Hezonja (illness) and Lance Thomas (personal) didn't play against Chicago on Tuesday.

Nonetheless, the Knicks still managed to defeat the Bulls 96-86 behind 25 points from guard Dennis Smith Jr.

The biggest development in recent games had been the play of Hezonja, who was a late scratch. Moved into a playmaker role due to point guard injuries, Hezonja is delivering some of his best performances this season. He's averaging 25 points and seven assists in three games this month.

Hezonja will become a free agent after the season and hopes the Knicks want him back.

"My second family is in this organization," he told the New York Post, adding he has "just wonderful relationships with everybody in the organization. The city embraced me. I just love playing here. We all know where I want to be."

Smith was acquired by the Knicks this winter in the blockbuster deal that shipped Kristaps Porzingis to Dallas. He's played some of his best games this season against Detroit. In three outings, he's averaging 25 points and 6.3 assists.

The Pistons have won the first three meetings with the Knicks by an average of 12.3 points. Griffin is averaging 28.3 points against New York this season.

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

Thanks, Rady.

Well, we made it. Game #82. If NBA seasons were bodily functions, this season would be the world?s loudest fart noise. Things can only get better from here. You have to believe that as a Knicks fan.

tiger0330

Legend
Fiz ought to play his best guys in a game that has playoff implications for 3 teams. I want to see DJ, Mario coming off the bench and not Hicks or Garrett like Fiz did yesterday, play hard and try to eliminate the Pistons and notch our 18th win tonight.

Kiyaman

Legend
Big Thanks for all the season Game-Threads Rady .... You da Man !!!

The Detroit Pistons head coach Gentry are coaching tonight for a .500 season .. hopefully, for us Knick Fans this will be Fizdale last game coaching the Knicks !!!

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks for the game thread Rady. We got a game thread in for all 82 games I believe.

Knicks not putting up the fight I wanted to see. BG is out and the Pistons still have a big lead after 1.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks getting killed 65-41 at the half. Fiz is fortunate that he got to play the Bulls over the last 10 otherwise he would have the worst franchise record.

Got killed in the 1st half.

It?s interesting to me to think that given the uncertainty of free agency and the possibility of a big splash trade, there is literally no one on our roster who I would guarantee will be wearing a Knicks roster on opening day of next season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Half-Time score 65 - 41 Pistons
The Pistons center/PG .. Drummond & Jackson took complete control over the first half

tiger0330

Legend
They're talking about Zion and Drummond and the fact that they weigh the same despite Drum being 5 inches taller. I read an interesting fact about Zion is he only wears a size 11 shoe, that's a size shoe that you find guys who are average height wearing.

Kiyaman

Legend
They're talking about Zion and Drummond and the fact that they weigh the same despite Drum being 5 inches taller. I read an interesting fact about Zion is he only wears a size 11 shoe, that's a size shoe that you find guys who are average height wearing.

Zion comparison are the same as Charles Barkley in Auburn ..

Kiyaman

Legend
4 minute remaining in the Knicks final game of the season the score are 111 -71 .. 40 pt Piston LEAD
FIRE Fizdale !!!

mafra

Legend
4 minute remaining in the Knicks final game of the season the score are 111 -71 .. 40 pt Piston LEAD
FIRE Fizdale !!!

And this was a meaningful game for DET. Would've been nice if we played with heart and tried to end their season.

mafra

Legend
Zion comparison are the same as Charles Barkley in Auburn ..

While the flags are there physically, one needs to also concede what the advantages are... reading into those numbers.

1) Does the weight impact the vertical leap? Not at all. So while it may derail him eventually, it doesn?t negate fact he can jump higher than mostly anybody.. by far... and can land and jump again even higher.

2) Aside from indicating height, what?s the advantage having size 22 or 11 sneaker? He can still leap above the trees.... and even if only 6?5?, be a physical specimen in the paint. The flip side here is that the small feet means he is more nimble, agile, versatile, moves well laterally, and swift footed. Glides like a guard, with a quick first step.

Zion glides on the court. Covers ground, plays with an energy that borders on ferociousness at times. He?s graceful and can beat you with power, quickness, grace coordination.

He?s a smart, coachable, passionate, intelligent human being. He possesses the intangibles, a man truly defined as grace under pressure.

So while the weight and measurable concern you, the sum of the parts is greater than the whole here.

He needs to improve his dribbling and jumper. But he can pass and defend...and if he?s a Barkley, or LJ, then it?s a HR.

Unfortunately, Mavs will win lottery and we?ll be forced to endure Doncic, KP, and Zion for a decade

mafra

Legend
Problem is... this could be another Blake Griffin. Forced to take Blake bc of freakish athleticism but then Westbrook and Harden get drafted

tiger0330

Legend
While the flags are there physically, one needs to also concede what the advantages are... reading into those numbers.

1) Does the weight impact the vertical leap? Not at all. So while it may derail him eventually, it doesn?t negate fact he can jump higher than mostly anybody.. by far... and can land and jump again even higher.

2) Aside from indicating height, what?s the advantage having size 22 or 11 sneaker? He can still leap above the trees.... and even if only 6?5?, be a physical specimen in the paint. The flip side here is that the small feet means he is more nimble, agile, versatile, moves well laterally, and swift footed. Glides like a guard, with a quick first step.

Zion glides on the court. Covers ground, plays with an energy that borders on ferociousness at times. He?s graceful and can beat you with power, quickness, grace coordination.

He?s a smart, coachable, passionate, intelligent human being. He possesses the intangibles, a man truly defined as grace under pressure.

So while the weight and measurable concern you, the sum of the parts is greater than the whole here.

He needs to improve his dribbling and jumper. But he can pass and defend...and if he?s a Barkley, or LJ, then it?s a HR.

Unfortunately, Mavs will win lottery and we?ll be forced to endure Doncic, KP, and Zion for a decade
The Mavs pick goes to ATL unless it falls in the top 5. They would have to be extraordinarily lucky just to get a top 5 pick with their record. That would be the ultimate crusher to the Knicks if they somehow wound up with the first pick after the league revamped the rules, though I bet teams that have the 9th worst record like they have have a better chance this year to get the top pick than last year.

Getting a big name like KD is crucial when we've struggled to attract FAs here, Dolan full of hope more than anything when he says we've had conversations with a lot of players, of course he has when you have got 70M in cap space. Agents aren't going to rule out any team that can pay their clients 190M contracts.

tiger0330

Legend
Here are the final lottery odds. Don't ignore the Hawks who have a better than 10pct chance to land Zion and will likely wind up with the Mavs pick in the 6-10 range.

2019 NBA Draft Position Odds

SEEDNO. 1 (%)TOP 4 (%)
1. Knicks14.052.1
T2. Suns14.052.1
T2. Cavaliers14.052.1
4. Bulls12.548.1
5. Hawks10.542.1
6. Wizards9.037.2
T7. Grizzlies*6.026.2
T7. Pelicans6.026.2
T7. Mavericks*6.026.2
10. Wolves3.013.9
11. Lakers2.09.4
T12. Hornets1.04.7
T12. Heat1.04.7
T12. Kings*1.04.7

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Problem is... this could be another Blake Griffin. Forced to take Blake bc of freakish athleticism but then Westbrook and Harden get drafted

You're speaking in terms of talent comparisons not necessarily of draft yr correct? Blake and Harden were in the draft after Westbrook. I agree with you, I do not feel Zion is a for sure talent that will best everyone in his draft class. Barrett and Ja will be great in their own right