Welcome to MSG Kevin Durant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classic Knicks scenario. If we don?t sign Durant, the media will report ?Idiot Knicks Lose Out on Durant?. If we do sign Durant, the media will report ?Idiot Knicks Sign Durant?.

tiger0330

Legend
Classic Knicks scenario. If we don’t sign Durant, the media will report “Idiot Knicks Lose Out on Durant”. If we do sign Durant, the media will report “Idiot Knicks Sign Durant”.
I'm with that unnamed NBA talent evaluator that said by the 4th year of his contract we're likely to be saying "When does he come off the cap". Curry, Stat, Melo, McD, Starbury, Houston, let some other team play with fire we're tired of getting burnt should be Mills motto.

mafra

Legend
Age 32-33-34-35 seasons for KD. What will he be like those final 4 years?

Does it matter?

We have a roster full of young pups who would benefit tremendously from being around KD.

Durant is 7-feet tall with enormous wingspan. I believe he?ll still score at will at 34-35... especially from the outside. 3-pointers will rain down from the rafters.

Do we even have a choice?

If NY don?t sign anybody this season... not much available the next summer.

Tough call. Can?t fault them either way... but it?s not like we need cap space anyway. Nobody takes our money.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Durant FA rumors during the regular season, I thought were our front-office advertisement rumors to give Knicks fans hope, the Knicks did start TANKING early having 6-14 record in 20 games .. I wasn't sure or certain a (healthy) super-star Durant would have selected the Knicks in his FA offseason. The past 5 offseasons the Knicks couldnt get a decent role-player FA to sign on.
Then again, I wasnt sure or certain we were gonna get RJ Barrett with the 3rd pick.
Getting RJ Barrett type of skills & hustle on the Knicks team does say we should have been the team to make the trade for the Memphis Grizz star PG Conley to mentor RJ Barrett's guard skills in the backcourt in his rookie season.
The point I'm making are Perry need to focus on getting one or two complimentary-players through our low cap trade or through FA market a veteran PG and PF that will help advance RJ Barrett's 2-Way performance n growth the next two to four seasons.
Durant should be off the Knicks FA list due to injury .. Kyrie's off the list do to Locker-room rumors .. Kemba's off the list do to being a shoot-first PG.

I'm with that unnamed NBA talent evaluator that said by the 4th year of his contract we're likely to be saying "When does he come off the cap". Curry, Stat, Melo, McD, Starbury, Houston, let some other team play with fire we're tired of getting burnt should be Mills motto.

Ironically, Kyrie Irving and Brooklyn may be the one thing that could help us avoid this scenario.

mafra

Legend
Would be funny if NYK target DLo right off the bat, while Nets fool around with Kyrie... Knicks sign KD and DLo, Irving goes to Lakers and Nets back to be terrible.

mafra

Legend
NBA insider Ric Bucher was a guest on The Herd with Colin Cowherd, and he reported Durant prefers to sign with the Knicks. Additionally, Bucher said that Durant and Kyrie Irving have “met a couple of times” since Durant’s calf strain injury and also met following Durant’s surgery for his ruptured Achilles.

My understanding is that they’ve been talking about potentially playing together for years since playing on the national team together,” Bucher said.

He has so many ties to the Knicks organization. He’s the godfather of Royal Ivey’s daughter, a Texas alum, and a former teammate at OKC. Those guys are really good friends and he’s still an assistant coach with the Knicks. There is even a report that DeAndre Jordan, who played for the Knicks last year and is close with KD, could add fodder.”

I just keep running the scenarios of what would happen if we signed Durant and Kyrie. We use all our cap space for the next 4 seasons. We?re not a contender next season, hell we might not even be a playoff team. We just get **** on all season by the media and we end up with likely a mid 1st round pick.

We either sign nobody or just sign injured Durant. Expectations remain low. Our young guys play. We likely get a high 1st round pick.

If Durant and Kyrie are a package, let Brooklyn do it and get laughed at when they barely make the playoffs next season.

Stephen A Smith throwing around some potentially interesting information on ESPN this morning. He says this morning that multiple sources texted him that Dolan asked our front office to go through Durant?s medical information with a fine tooth comb before offering him a max contract.

SAS then says, how does that info about Dolan leak out? He speculates that KD?s camp leaks that info. Extremely reasonable request from Dolan, but maybe the narrative, because it?s Dolan, becomes negative about him and the Knicks because we?re the Knicks. We do due diligence and it looks like we?re being unreasonable. Chance for members of Durant?s camp who want Brooklyn or Clippers or GS to sway him in that direction.

tiger0330

Legend
One option is off the table, KD picking up his option and using the year to rehab and becoming a FA next year. He's an UFA now and also still in NY discussing FA with his manager.

This latest Durant news makes sense given SAS?s leak this morning about Dolan requesting full medical info. Knicks definitely seem at or near the front of the line, maybe even ahead of GS.

We need a free agency thread. Things going to start popping off in a few days.

If you are Durant and his agent, no doubt you are looking to setup a sign and trade to get that 5th year and extra 57 million. GS would gladly do this if they are going to lose Durant anyway since this would get them players and/or picks.

This could come down to out of Knicks, Nets, and Clippers, who is willing to do this?

I bet if all 3 say yes, Durant comes to the Knicks. If Knicks say no, no doubt Nets would do it.

This situation actually kind of sucks for us, now that I work through it. Lock in 5 years and 220+ million to get a guy in his 30s with a recently torn Achilles and give up assets in the process. Sigh.

tiger0330

Legend
If you are Durant and his agent, no doubt you are looking to setup a sign and trade to get that 5th year and extra 57 million. GS would gladly do this if they are going to lose Durant anyway since this would get them players and/or picks.

This could come down to out of Knicks, Nets, and Clippers, who is willing to do this?

I bet if all 3 say yes, Durant comes to the Knicks. If Knicks say no, no doubt Nets would do it.

This situation actually kind of sucks for us, now that I work through it. Lock in 5 years and 220+ million to get a guy in his 30s with a recently torn Achilles and give up assets in the process. Sigh.
Under the new CBA, the only way a player can get that added year is to sign with his original team. Only way for KD to get an additional year with the Knicks is for GS to sign him to that 5 yr deal, have some kind of hand shake agreement with KD to trade him in the coming season after the moratorium is lifted on trading signed FA's. It's what Windhorst called a delayed SnT, way too complicated.

tiger0330

Legend
I guess there are ways for KD to have control of where he wants to go if he decides he wants the supermax and the added year, he could put in trade clause approving trades that would block a trade to any team he doesn't want to go to, trading players to match salary wouldn't be a problem for the Knicks since they could just absorb his salary into cap space but now you're talking about a KD that the Knicks would be paying 60M in the 5th yr of his contract at 36 yrs old. Do the Knicks really want him that badly?

mafra

Legend
GSW a class org. If they re-sign both KD and KT that?s almost 1.6 nil in taxes, no?

I think KD would trust them but I think KD is cool with the 4, especially given new team is paying 25% of contract for no KD on court

Being reported that Knicks expect to have meetings with Durant and Kawhi before then moving on to meeting with 2nd tier free agents.

No mention of Kyrie. I?m fine with that. Sounds like he is heading to Brooklyn.

Not sure the validity of this, but it is being reported that the Clippers and 76ers are going to back off their intended pursuit of Durant in free agency. I think the 76ers are kidding themselves that they were even in contention for Durant, but as far as the Clippers, that would be a big deal. Seems like Durant will almost certainly either stay with GS or go to NYC to either the Knicks or Nets.

On a separate note, Boston is suddenly the favorites to land Kemba Walker. That seems hard to believe, but if that is the case, that would be a big coup for Boston to lose Kyrie and replace him with Kemba, even if they are also losing Horford.

tiger0330

Legend
Add Kanter along with Perkins as ex-teammates that thought he would be a Knick and now think he'll be a a Net. Vegas odds makers also.have the Nets as the favorite to sign him. Means nothing of course and maybe not the worse thing we don't sign him for all the reasons I've said in my previous posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.