Welcome to MSG Kevin Durant

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger0330

Legend
Now that we missed on Zion the KD signing looms as the most important signing in franchise history. Knicks fans already tasted what it's like to miss out on LeBron and get an Amare. Mills and Perry better not blow this and not sign a guy that most say is a sure thing to come to the Knicks. I keep hearing 90% chance he comes which is way better than the 14% chance to get Zion.

Just read a Newsday article that said that at the Combine more executives were talking about KD to the Knicks being a done deal than about the upcoming draft.

tiger0330

Legend
Just read a Newsday article that said that at the Combine more executives were talking about KD to the Knicks being a done deal than about the upcoming draft.
I think the Warriors playing well without him seals the deal he leaves GS. If he knows where his next destination is, it's great for the Knicks because it will mean he'll sign early in FA. If it was me I'd try to keep Dolan out of it but I don't see him not at least getting minimally involved when your talking about the kind of dough they're going to have to pay KD.

I posted give me both Dray and Iggy that combined aren't making what Kyrie wants rather than Kyrie. Dray is a warrior no pun intended, putting that Dubs team on his back since KD went down. Mills and Perry need to find a guy like Dray rather than Kyrie.

tiger0330

Legend
I think the Warriors playing well without him seals the deal he leaves GS. If he knows where his next destination is, it's great for the Knicks because it will mean he'll sign early in FA. If it was me I'd try to keep Dolan out of it but I don't see him not at least getting minimally involved when your talking about the kind of dough they're going to have to pay KD.

I posted give me both Dray and Iggy that combined aren't making what Kyrie wants rather than Kyrie. Dray is a warrior no pun intended, putting that Dubs team on his back since KD went down. Mills and Perry need to find a guy like Dray rather than Kyrie.
Rich Kleiman told the WSJ that KD has not made a decision on his free agency yet with Mark Stein saying the Clippers are are a real threat to sign KD. Looks like this is going to be like his last FA where he did his due diligence meeting with several teams he was interested in before going to the Warriors.

Rich Kleiman told the WSJ that KD has not made a decision on his free agency yet with Mark Stein saying the Clippers are are a real threat to sign KD. Looks like this is going to be like his last FA where he did his due diligence meeting with several teams he was interested in before going to the Warriors.

I think the PR machines have been in full effect to try to make people think first that the Nets have a shot at Durant and now that the Clippers have a shot at Durant.

Nets would need to let Russell go and find someone to take Crabbe to have a 2nd max spot. Clippers would have to find someone to take Gallo.

I?m pretty sure Durant is not going somewhere without another max contract player.

I?ll bet that this is the media trying to create more stories by rumoring KD wants to go more places. These idiots get a lot of views by saying ?oh yeah, sources say Durant will consider the Clippers?. We?ll find out the truth very soon.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I think the PR machines have been in full effect to try to make people think first that the Nets have a shot at Durant and now that the Clippers have a shot at Durant.

Nets would need to let Russell go and find someone to take Crabbe to have a 2nd max spot. Clippers would have to find someone to take Gallo.

I’m pretty sure Durant is not going somewhere without another max contract player.

I’ll bet that this is the media trying to create more stories by rumoring KD wants to go more places. These idiots get a lot of views by saying “oh yeah, sources say Durant will consider the Clippers”. We’ll find out the truth very soon.
The Knicks are obviously in the best position to sign KD and another star to build a team around but I was hoping we could avoid the FA foreplay that occurred the last time he was a FA with the conversation that OKC could give him the biggest contract, him meeting the Celtics in the Hamptons, meeting the Warriors in SF. I would be a lot happier if he was like PG, throwing a party to celebrate signing with OKC on the first day of his FA.

The Knicks are obviously in the best position to sign KD and another star to build a team around but I was hoping we could avoid the FA foreplay that occurred the last time he was a FA with the conversation that OKC could give him the biggest contract, him meeting the Celtics in the Hamptons, meeting the Warriors in SF. I would be a lot happier if he was like PG, throwing a party to celebrate signing with OKC on the first day of his FA.

Totally agree. If this becomes an open competition for signing KD, we will lose, like we always have in the past. The narrative for months that got us all excited was that this was a ?done deal?. Secret meetings and endorsement deals already ready. If none of that turns out to be true, expect us to not sign anyone in free agency this year. I continue to believe though that where there?s smoke, there?s fire with those reports.

mafra

Legend
Seems like this is damage control. Right after report surfaces that KD to MSG is a done deal, now these stories pop up about Nets and Clippers and whatnot?

They don?t want it to be a tampering issue.

tiger0330

Legend
A factor I haven't heard anyone discuss is the Clippers ownership and front office including Doc. Ballmer is an owner but a huge fan of bball, I remember him when he was president of Microsoft, hell of a speaker and salesman, he could sell the Clips to KD better than Dolan can sell the Knicks. Doc one of the great coaches in the game, Fiz can't shine his shoes imo. If I'm a player and have to make a decision based on the owner, front office and coach, I sign with the Clips over the Knicks. KD also owns a home in LA.
Now Kendrick Perkins an ex-team mate and friend of KD thinks he'll show interest in the Clips because of Doc and the Clips organization. He might also like their roster a little better since they gave the Warriors as much of a battle as any team they faced in the playoffs. Mills better not screw this up.

Last edited:
Now Kendrick Perkins an ex-team mate and friend of KD thinks he'll show interest in the Clips because of Doc and the Clips organization. He might also like their roster a little better since they gave the Warriors as much of a battle as any team they faced in the playoffs. Mills better not screw this up.

Kendrick Perkins is trying to make a 2nd career out of talking about Kevin Durant. In the end of April, he was telling the world about how OKC did a bad job with Durant and that Durant didn't leave because of Westbrook. A couple weeks ago, he was saying that Durant should go "home" to D.C. and play with the Wizards. Now he's making a case that Durant should go to the Clippers.

As an aside, not getting Durant in free agency will be a disappointment after this build-up, but we'd be losing something that we never had. We can still build around potential future stars MRob and RJ, hopefully with development of DSJ (who is still only 21-years-old) and Knox, not to mention 6 1st round picks in the next 4 years. Plus, if we don't get Durant, people can shut up about us for another year. If people are going to talk this much **** about us before he even signs here, imaging how bad it is going to be if Durant and Kyrie come here and we don't ever win anything.

Brian Windhorst said on Pardon the Interruption that his sense is that no front office in the league is confident about being able to sign Durant and that any team that does sign Durant will expect Durant to then call the shots as far further roster moves. If Durant wants Kyrie, the Knicks will sign Kyrie. If Durant goes somewhere that doesn't have the cap space for a 2nd max deal and he still wants Kyrie, then that team is going to be expected to make that cap space to sign Kyrie. If Durant comes to the Knicks and he wants them to trade for AD instead of keeping RJ, the Knicks will then trade for AD.

tiger0330

Legend
Windhorst exaggerates just a touch I think. I don't remember him being involved in player moves to that extent in OKC or GS in contrast to LeBron who was always asking for help. I do believe he has no idea where he wants to go, Knicks are going to have to blow his socks off with his presentation. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be the most expensive, glitziest presentation a team makes but some intangible like Durant feeling Perry and Mills really know what they're doing.

Argument made in favor of KD going to the Clippers is that then he can take on GS and beat them. What would he need to do that? They are saying also sign Kawhi. Clippers would need to use assets to clear more space to do it, but it?s possible. Good luck to KD if he stays in the West and they can?t build a team better than GS.

ESPN now trying to push the narrative that KD going to the Knicks is falling by the wayside and might never have been real.

My take? The media makes **** up and then mocks fans for believing the **** they make up.

My feeling is that either KD has been a ?done deal? to the Knicks behind the scenes for months or it?s not happening. If the Knicks need to win a free agency pitch competition, it won?t happen because of the current state of the franchise.

Stephen A. Smith says the Knicks are still the overwhelming favorites for Durant.

He is also saying that KD?s choice will determine other free agent destinations. If KD wants Kyrie with the Knicks, he comes to the Knicks. Otherwise, Kyrie will end up in Brooklyn or LA. Kemba?s team next season could similarly hinge on KD?s decision.

Only guy who seems to be outside the effect of KD?s free agency? Kawhi.

mafra

Legend
LAC, like Brooklyn, are second fiddle orgs in their own city... and both were playoff teams this season.

Knicks have MSG and are awful. Ergo, winning iWork NYK elevates KD?s status, in an historic sense, higher than those other options.

Personally, he should prefer KL to KI

Kiyaman

Legend
Is it me, or should Knicks fans be getting nervous bout signing Durant in the off-season, especially if Durant does not play in the first game of the FINALS. A calf strain injury shouldn't keep a player out after 2 weeks of rest.
It seems like GS or his agent is trying to protect KD by calling the injury a calf strain .. it looked more like an achilles injury to me.
The way he looked down at the back of his leg when he was running back up the court, looked like a typical achilles injury.
Most athletes who suffered the same injury have said as much. If you go back and look at the film, KD grabbed at his achilles not his calf ???

Is it me, or should Knicks fans be getting nervous bout signing Durant in the off-season, especially if Durant does not play in the first game of the FINALS. A calf strain injury shouldn't keep a player out after 2 weeks of rest.
It seems like GS or his agent is trying to protect KD by calling the injury a calf strain .. it looked more like an achilles injury to me.
The way he looked down at the back of his leg when he was running back up the court, looked like a typical achilles injury.
Most athletes who suffered the same injury have said as much. If you go back and look at the film, KD grabbed at his achilles not his calf ???

Durant with a torn Achilles would still be the best player on our team.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer

I don't think the Knicks are stupid to sign a player of that caliber without knowing for sure what is going on. KD and his agent will try to hide it if it is more serious to protect their interests, but is this something that you can hide from a team when they are acquiring you?

the other question, if it is achilles, what does that mean? how long to recover from that?

tiger0330

Legend
You have an NBA player that is selling two homes, one in the city he plays in and one in a city he's rumored to be interested in going to and also buys a home in the city he's also rumored to be playing in, what team do you think said player is going to be playing for, I doubt it's the Nets.

Kevin Durant recently purchased a house in New York, per Bleacher Report's Ric Bucher. Not only has Durant purchased a New York home, but his current Bay Area house is up for sale, Bucher reported on The Colin Cowherd Show. Bucher offered a caveat that a number of Warriors players are selling their homes, including Steph Curry, to be closer to the new arena.
The house in the bay area is up for sale and he has purchased a place in New York. And I believe it is New York City, I was told New York. Keep in mind, when it comes to selling the place in the Bay Area, everybody is selling their place in the Bay Area because they need to move from the East Bay to the peninsula. Steph is selling his house and actually moving close to someone I know with a golf simulator as part of the house...Now, it is interesting timing that KD is not only putting his house up for sale in the Bay Area, but that he is also purchasing a place in New York. The reason that I don't immediately jump to 'Oh, that's it. It's done [Durant signing with the Knicks],' is because when you have the wherewithal and the money that KD has and you are from the East Coast. It is reasonable to think that he might be buying a place in New York just to have a place in New York.
It is the latest in a season full of rumors linking Durant to the Knicks. The longer Durant is sidelined during the NBA finals, we can expect the rumors to get even louder. Keep in mind, many NBA players have multiple homes and often in cities where they do not plan on playing during their career. However, as Bucher pointed out, the timing is a bit curious with free agency beginning in a little over a month.
According to San Francisco Gate, Durant is also selling his Malibu, California oceanfront property. Durant purchased the home in April 2018 for $12.05 million and is selling it with an initial list price of $13.495 million.
If Durant's Bay Area house is indeed for sale, it is a little curious given The Undefeated reported KD would be closer to the new arena than his current commute to Oracle Arena.
Kevin Durant's free-agent decision looms large for Golden State. He has made it clear that he doesn't know what he'll do next summer. But if the two-time Finals MVP decides to stay with the Warriors, his commute would actually become easier. Durant's condo in San Francisco is not a far drive from where the new arena is being built.
In fact, KD is the only player on the current roster living in San Francisco.
Durant went on to detail why he chose to live in San Francisco over Oakland or some of the other possible Bay Area locations.
"I wanted to be in the big city and mix it up a little bit," Durant explained to The Undefeated in December 2018. "It's close to the [Bay] Bridge and the practice facility and arena [in Oakland]. I wanted to try it out. I've never lived in a big city before by myself. I wanted to learn more about the flow of the city...I just like the vibe. It's chill. Relaxing. There is not too much going on, but there is still a lot going on. People are pretty cool, open and diverse...San Francisco is one of those cities that is always going to be booming. There is always going to be growth in the city. I guess you can call me a 'millennial' living there now. It puts a different perspective on life."

tiger0330

Legend
You have an NBA player that is selling two homes, one in the city he plays in and one in a city he's rumored to be interested in going to and also buys a home in the city he's also rumored to be playing in, what team do you think said player is going to be playing for, I doubt it's the Nets.
More home buying news affecting FA. Kawhi reported buying property in Toronto perhaps pre-saging his re-signing with the Raps, Doc also seemed a little desperate praising the guy so much that he got hit with a big fine for tampering by the league.

I'd expect the Clips to put on the full court press for KD now that Kawhi looks to remain with the Raps.

Status
Not open for further replies.