Road to RJ

mafra

Legend
As it was already noted on these boards by Htr10, in 1984 the big prize (Olajuwon) went first, followed by stud Sam Bowie, then a lanky SG from ACC named MJ went third.

With reports that MEM are zeroing in on Ja.... NYK poised to take RJ with the third pick in the 2019 NBA draft.

This time last year, Barrett was the projected number 1 pick. His talent did not disappoint.... he was just overshadowed by the more dynamic presence of Zion.... but on the court, their stats were almost identical....

This isn?t to suggest I prefer RJ to Zion, bc the intangibles Zion brings is a generational thing. But on the court, NYK will be getting a worthy number 1 stud, who would be top choice most years.

If KD and another max signs with NY, and we blend in RJ with Knox, Trier, MRob, DSJ... this kid might be our Scottie Pippen!

To those who have said in other threads that they are worried/expecting Memphis to take Barrett at #2, ESPN literally has a story up that says "Grizz Make it Known That They'd Pick Morant":

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26757427/grizz-make-known-pick-morant

The story says that the Memphis front office has made it known that they are taking Ja Morant at #2 after New Orleans takes Zion at #1. No gamesmanship here.

RJ Barrett is going to be a Knick with the #3 pick. Story says that our front office will listen to offers for the #3 pick and work out other top 10 prospects, but I feel like that is just our front office trying to be "professional".

I'm excited about Barrett. He has his flaws, but he is going to be the most talented, most NBA ready player that we have drafted since Patrick Ewing.

tiger0330

Legend
He's good. Word is Griz have communicated that Ja will be their guy allowing them to trade Mike Conley. Knicks fans will be happy with him unlike Nits who was a stretch to take at 8. RJ is a legit 3 and when its all said and done may have a better career than Zion we hope.

mafra

Legend
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...-on-draft-decision-they-wont-get-to-make/amp/

The 6-foot-7 Barrett scored more points (860) this season than any freshman in ACC history ? the only player from a Power 5 conference to score at least 13 points in every contest he played. He also can play three positions.

While Knicks fans are disappointed about not landing Williamson, the franchise beat the odds. There was a 59.8% chance of the franchise falling to No. 4 or 5.

?There?s definitely a tier in this draft and the Knicks fell on the good side of it,?? one NBA scouting director said.

Barrett, a Toronto-area native, used to play pickup as a young boy in New York after his father, Rowan, played for St. John?s. Rowan went on to a professional basketball career overseas.

His son RJ is known as a terrific penetrator with a sweet perimeter shot, though his 3-point percentage at Duke was a disappointing 30.8.

?We?d go to see family and take him out to the blacktop,? Rowan told Slam recently. ?I went to school in New York, so I?d just travel to Harlem and Coney Island. I had an understanding of what that was and how important it was for him. The city game isn?t a lot of jump shots. It?s a lot of going to the rim. Figuring out how to get to the the rim. No one calls fouls. All the trash talk, the chatter. Can you play while someone is talking to you? Don?t look over to the side. Daddy can?t help you. So we?d take him there in the summer and it was great for his development in terms of toughness. He learned the European way and then he played in Brooklyn.??

The Knicks could also trade down a notch or two and take premier defender Virginia swingman D?Andre Hunter, who is not showing up to this week?s NBA combine likely due to a draft guarantee. The Knicks are looking to add defenders this season.

If the Knicks reach their summer dreams, a new starting lineup could feature Kyrie Irving at point guard, Barrett at shooting guard, Kevin Knox at small forward, Kevin Durant at power forward and Mitchell Robinson at center.

The lottery also cleared up their future Dallas draft picks. With Dallas not moving into the top 5, the Knicks will likely have the 2021 and 2023 Mavericks? first-rounders instead of 2022 and 2024. Those are assets likely to be offered to the Pelicans in a package for Davis.

Mills and Perry have declined to meet with the local media for two straight days.

He's good. Word is Griz have communicated that Ja will be their guy allowing them to trade Mike Conley. Knicks fans will be happy with him unlike Nits who was a stretch to take at 8. RJ is a legit 3 and when its all said and done may have a better career than Zion we hope.

You were the one poster on here not afraid to question Zion's role in the NBA. As you have said before, one big advantage RJ will have over Zion is that RJ will be a natural position fit in the NBA at either the 2 or the 3 given his size at 6'7" 200 pounds and his style of play.

Zion is an otherworldly talent, but New Orleans will have to figure out the NBA fit for him when he is also 6'7" but weighs 284 pounds (!!!). Dude is definitely not a guard and probably not a wing in the NBA. He's also not the same kind of player as Lebron because he's not a ballhandler/facilitator (2 assists per game in college). Zion will probably need to be Charles Barkley and give up height every night against opposing PFs.

Would I take Zion over RJ? In a second. There are definitely some things with RJ that will make life easier though.

tiger0330

Legend
You were the one poster on here not afraid to question Zion's role in the NBA. As you have said before, one big advantage RJ will have over Zion is that RJ will be a natural position fit in the NBA at either the 2 or the 3 given his size at 6'7" 200 pounds and his style of play.

Zion is an otherworldly talent, but New Orleans will have to figure out the NBA fit for him when he is also 6'7" but weighs 284 pounds (!!!). Dude is definitely not a guard and probably not a wing in the NBA. He's also not the same kind of player as Lebron because he's not a ballhandler/facilitator (2 assists per game in college). Zion will probably need to be Charles Barkley and give up height every night against opposing PFs.

Would I take Zion over RJ? In a second. There are definitely some things with RJ that will make life easier though.

Nice analysis of Zion htr10. Just reading a Washington Post article on Zion and the writers title was. He's not going to be a 3 and D out of the gate but he should have an immediate impact on the defensive side of the ball. Looking to see if he can maintain that incredible efficiency near the basket against bigger players.

Zion Williamson is made for the NBA but his impact might not be immediate

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend

I dont believe the Grizz will select JA before Barrett .. I wouldn't count those chickens yet !!!

mafra

Legend
I believe RJ sacrificed his game more at Duke. His offensive game (when there?s more space) is made for NBA life. Zion is a throwback interior behemoth in an analytic era.

Barrett the most ferocious dunker at Duke since Grant Hill, other than Zion (of course).

Zion more of a natural leader. Both were tenacious on defense but ZW the more prolific shot-blocker. Zion just possesses this energy and magnetism that is rare....

But... with that said, RJ is in a better spot. Simple as that. If... IF.... IF.... KD and a max body come to MSG.... RJ can develop like Kawhi did in SA. Be third or fourth or fifth option and let KD and gang carry the load. Be groomed and ready to take over the lead dawg role down the line.

DSJ-Trier-RJ-Knox-Robinson a nice young core. Toss in 6 first rounders next 4 years.... O man... things are looking up.

Irving
Knox
RJ
KD
Robinson

mafra

Legend
Forbes

Make no mistake, Barrett is an elite NBA prospect. At this time last year, he was the clear-cut No. 1 prospect in his class, well ahead of Williamson. Heading into the 2018-19 season, he was the more heralded Duke freshman. As ESPN?s Jay Bilas proclaimed on the telecast Tuesday night, Barrett is a player ?worthy of a No. 1 overall pick. A year ago, he was the presumptive No. 1 pick? in the 2019 draft.

When discussing Barrett, it?s important to highlight the fact that he?s been a winner wherever he?s been. As a 17-year old, he led Team Canada to their first gold medal at the FIBA U19 World Championships. He was named MVP of the tournament after exploding for 38 points (on 12-of-24 shooting) and 13 rebounds in a victory over Team USA (featuring Carsen Edwards, PJ Washington, Cam Reddish and Kevin Huerter). Then, after winning MVP at the Basketball Without Borders Global Camp, he led his high school team to a National Championship as a senior. While Duke didn?t win the NCAA crown last season, they did win the ACC Tournament.

When examining the individual skills Barrett brings to the table, we have to first focus on scoring. This kid can get buckets in bunches. He averaged 22.6 points per game as a freshman this past season. His 860 total points were the most by any freshman in the ACC over the last 25 years, and the second most by any Duke player in a single season in the school?s history (behind only J.J. Redick as a senior in 2005-06). In fact, according to Basketball-Reference, the only other freshman to pour in more than 850 points since 1992 all played in the Big 12: Kevin Durant (2006-07), Michael Beasley (2007-08) and Trae Young (2017-18).

Barrett, who was named USA Today?s National Player of the Year, was also remarkably consistent throughout the year. He never missed a game, fouled out only once, and was the only player in the country to score at least 13 points in every game this season. Part of his offensive success stems from the fact that he attacks the basket and gets to the free-throw stripe persistently. His 224 FT attempts led the ACC, and matched the same number of free throws a young James Harden attempted as a freshman at Arizona State in 2007-08.

Yet, Barrett is not solely a scorer. He dished out 4.3 assists per game, which ranked fifth overall in the ACC. He had 11 assists (a Duke freshman record) in their win over Virginia Tech in Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament. Barrett also averaged an impressive 7.6 rebounds per game. That?s a higher rebounding average than first-round forward prospects such as Grant Williams of Tennessee and P.J. Washington of Kentucky.

Sum it all up, and it?s undeniable that Barrett brings a versatile, well-round game with him to the next level. Consider this: Barrett is the first player in NCAA Division 1 history to tally at least 850 points, 250 rebounds, 150 assists and 50 made 3-pointers in a single season.

Are there flaws in his game? Of course. His jumper can be flat at times, and he needs to improve his shooting stroke, as evidenced by the fact that he shot 30.8% from downtown and 66.5% from the charity stripe. While Barrett can be a solid defender for stretches when he locks in on that end of the floor, he was not always as focused as he should be defensively.

Still, it should be pointed out that he?s one of the youngest players in the draft at just 18 years. (Crazy as it sounds, Barrett was born in June of 2000. For Knicks fans that want to feel old, he wasn?t even born when Allan Houston beat Miami at the buzzer, prompting a Knicks run to the Finals in 1999). Barrett hasn?t even started scratching the surface of his God-given talent. In addition to youth being on his side, Barrett has a prototypical frame and physique for an NBA shooting guard/small forward. If you were creating an NBA wing in a lab somewhere, you?d probably have the settings fixed at 6-foot-7 with a 6-10 wingspan, which are Barrett?s exact measurements.

mafra

Legend
Knicks will be able to always have a natural scorer on the floor with KD and KI.... Knox and RJ... 18 and 19 year old kids.... then, when KD window shuts... in 3-5 years... this dynamic duo will be ready to step up.... 23 and 24 yr old men.
Toss in DSJ... talent is there... they just need coaching and work ethic.

I?m pumped we got top 3!

Zion would?ve been great. We?ll see him in NY in 5 years.

mafra

Legend
This article states that RJ would be top pick in every draft since AD (2012) except for 2015 (KaT). And nYk getting him third!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/05/16/rj-barrett-is-nba-draft-godsend-knicks-fans-didnt-want-shades-of-wade/amp/

Kiya is making me paranoid how he keeps saying Memphis is going to take RJ in a surprise move and screw us.

tiger0330

Legend
Kiya is making me paranoid how he keeps saying Memphis is going to take RJ in a surprise move and screw us.

Could happen, Knicks were not set on Knox last season until he destroyed Miles Bridges in a 3 on 3 workout. They have MC for 3 more years so the need at PG isn't dire so I could see them changing their mind and selecting a guy that was projected to be the #1 pick this draft. I'm a little skeptical as to why the Griz would show their hand so early, does it help them trade Conley?

Could happen, Knicks were not set on Knox last season until he destroyed Miles Bridges in a 3 on 3 workout. They have MC for 3 more years so the need at PG isn't dire so I could see them changing their mind and selecting a guy that was projected to be the #1 pick this draft. I'm a little skeptical as to why the Griz would show their hand so early, does it help them trade Conley?

If anything, it does the opposite. Makes other teams think they can get Conley more easily because they are drafting his replacement.

mafra

Legend
When I look at Barrett, I see shades of Paul Pierce and Dwyane Wade in his game ? and I see shades of Baker Mayfield in his swagger and competitiveness (everything you read and see with Barrett is that he?s a ferocious competitor). If you think the Wade comparison is too lofty, consider:
Player A: 22.6 points, 7.6 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 45.4 FG%, 30.8 3P%

Player B: 21.5 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 50.1 FG%, 31.8 3P%

Player A is Barrett ? at age 18 at Duke.

Player B is Wade ? at age 20-21 at Marquette.

Sure, these are college stats and all that, but as The Athletic?s Sam Vecenie pointed out, Barrett is ?the first high-major player to average 22 points, seven rebounds and four assists ? and he did it as an 18-year-old freshman who re-classified into the 2018 recruiting class.? Frankly, that?s outrageous.

mafra

Legend
? Steve Nash (Barrett?s godfather): ?He?s incredible. It?s hard to believe he?s only 18 years old. Really his skill is he?s a fantastic passer. His size, at that position, it?s hard to compare. At 6-7, to handle the ball and pass like that is a skill that translates even more so in the NBA.?

Kiyaman

Legend

Back in December/January, we all were saying Zion & Barrett were gonna be the first and 2nd pick of the draft .. nothing change since then. Unless Dolan/Mills pay $$$ Memphis to not select Barrett at the 2nd pick.

The 2-Way performance the 18 yr old Barrett showed throughout his season with Duke are he has the capability to take all Knox & Mario minute at SF, all Dotson & Trier minute at SG, and all Frank, DSJr, and Muddy minute at the point. Barrett has the potential to be a great 2-Way point-forward.
Memphis has an upcoming super-star in 2nd season PF Jaren Jackson Jr., why not add a upcoming super-star SF Barrett in the lineup to tandem with Jaren Jackson Jr. the next 4 to 6 years.

mafra

Legend
Some NBA teams, according to Marc Berman, feel RJ is going to have better career (than Zion). He says most feel RJ should be second but conceded some believe while Barrett is safer bet, Ja has higher ceiling.

Look, I want RJ over Ja... I hope he falls to third.... I really hope MEM has their hearts set in Murant, but the pre draft process may sway their minds.

If we get RJ I am stoked!!!

mafra

Legend
Asked what he feels he needs to do to improve at the next level, he kept it simple:

"Everything," Barrett told The Athletic's Shams Charania. "No one is perfect in one area of the game, so just continue to work on everything and be a complete player."

Barrett, who averaged 22.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 4.3 assists for a Duke team that reached the Elite Eight, said he wants to be one of the top two-way players when he makes the jump from college to the pros.

"My ball-handling ability, the way I pass and score, I really try to do everything on the court," Barrett said. "To try to do that at a high level will be a different task, but I think I'm ready for it."

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
RJ Barrett doesn't really have any aspect of the game that really stands out (unlike Zion who has that jaw-dropping athleticism) but I'm good with a guy who can do everything on the court. If he can be our version of Jayson Tatum, I'm fine with him as a draft pick