Road to RJ

mafra

Legend
The New York Knicks will host RJ Barrett for a workout on June 10th as he looks like the likely selection at No. 3.

Barrett would be excited about joining the Knicks, according to sources.

The Knicks, however, are doing due diligence on other prospects in the top 10 as they could move back. The Knicks view the concept of trading down as a way of acquiring pieces that would fit better around a star they might sign in free agency such as Kevin Durant or Kyrie Irving.

The Knicks are considering trading the No. 3 pick to the Atlanta Hawks for Nos. 8 and 10. The Hawks would essentially be on the opposite side of a deal they did last year in which they traded down from No. 3 with the Dallas Mavericks to pick up an additional selection. A deal is unlikely to occur until the draft is underway to know which players are available.

The Knicks have been looking at Cam Reddish, Jarrett Culver, Coby White and Nassir Little.

It should be noted, though, that just because the Knicks are talking about getting back both of the Hawks? picks, it doesn?t necessarily mean that that would be all they got back. The Hawks also have three second-round picks this year and a couple of heavily-protected first rounders from the Cavs and the Thunder in the next few years that could be a part of this package and make it a little more congruent with the Dallas package a year ago.

Second, the part about the Knicks wanting to get players that would better complement high-volume players like Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant does kind of make sense. A guy like Barrett, at his best, profiles as a top option at the next level. Maybe the Knicks think picks 8 and 10 can better address their needs with a couple of All-Stars incoming.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Sorry, Cam and White not worth RJ. Unless other assets are acquired... don?t be cute. If they toss in Collins or a future 1st AND our evaluators aren?t sold on Barrett... then OK.

But it?s not like we are getting Hunter and Culver here.

Anyway, this tells me they must like Nasir or another PF (like kid from Gonzaga).

mafra

Legend
Dwayne Washington first trained RJ Barrett when he was 12 years old. As director of the UPLAYCanada grass roots program, Washington also coached Barrett for several years. So he knows the 19-year-old well. And Washington is confident Barrett would be a perfect fit on and off the court in New York.

"If he goes to New York, the only thing he will be defined by is winning. It's not about, 'I'm here to get a check' or 'I made it to the league -- look momma, I made it.' His goals are so high and they all revolve around winning," Washington said in a phone interview with SNY. "I can't say that for everybody. But he's different."

Washington is a citizen of Canada but grew up in the Bronx. So he's not speaking with an out-of-town perspective when he discusses Barrett's fit in the Big Apple.

He's been raised with a New York mentality. He's been playing basketball in New York since he was 4 years old," Washington said, referencing Barrett's visits to the city to visit his mother, Resha's, family (Barrett's father, Rowan, played college basketball at St. John's). "He fits in, he's a dog. He's (the kind of player) New York would say, 'Hey, this is what a New Yorker is.' He's an animal."

Barrett is expected to be available at the No. 3 pick, where the Knicks are slated to select. ESPN reported on Friday that the Knicks are thinking about potentially trading down with the Hawks for multiple picks, but a league source told SNY that the neither side is seriously considering the deal at the moment.

New York appears to be doing the same due diligence that any team with a top pick does ahead of the draft.

Washington cautions it would be a mistake for New York to pass on Barrett, which is expected given his relationship with the 19-year-old. But Washington cites Barrett's mental fortitude and desire to be in the city as evidence to support his position.

"RJ can take criticism. He's been in the media his whole life. He answers tough questions. He knew the spotlight would be on him (throughout high school and college)," Washington said. "And he wants New York! You've got guys running from New York. You've got guys that don't want that heat; they don't want the fire. They don't want the high expectations.

"You've got (players) who want to go to small towns so they can hide, make their money, cost of living is low and they're good. No, not RJ. He wants to be in New York."

Washington, a longtime Knicks fan, has seen athletes in the city struggle with the media and fan attention/expectations. He believes Barrett, a 6-foot-8 wing, can thrive in that atmosphere.

"You've got to be careful. You've got a slam dunk," said Washginton, who has coached other elite players such as Clippers guard Shai Gilgeous Alexander and Florida's Andrew Nembhard. "Wherever he goes, winning will happen,"

Washington also pushed back against evaluators who question whether Barrett's shooting (30.8 percent from behind the arc at Duke last season) can improve.

"If you want winning, you want to look at the lifetime of the athlete, you don't want to look at one year," Washington said of Barrett, the 2018 Gatorade National Player of the Year in high school.

On the idea of the Knicks passing on Barrett on draft night, Washington offered a bit of a warning to his hometown team.

"I'm a Knick fan, baby," he said. "... Be careful."

Uh oh. Ja Morant apparently set to get scoped and have a loose body removed from his knee. Does this phase Memphis at all, I wonder? Probably not, but I continue to be paranoid somehow we lose out on RJ.

mafra

Legend
Uh oh. Ja Morant apparently set to get scoped and have a loose body removed from his knee. Does this phase Memphis at all, I wonder? Probably not, but I continue to be paranoid somehow we lose out on RJ.

Me2! After Knits and Knox, I want an alpha dog who will battle with fierce competitiveness.

I wonder if this is another reason they?re exploring trading down.

Regardless, NY in a tough spot. We can?t chose and we can?t trade pick based on free agency bc we won?t know for sure during draft if we can get 2 max guys.

mafra

Legend
Could it be... we might already be closing to having a big 3?

DSJ, Knox, RJ, MRob.

Assuming we draft RJ (and he?s still on the board at 3)...

Assuming we keep these 4 and don?t trade one of them...

Knicks would just need 1 to be special, 1 to be all star type, and the other 2 to be good. The plus is these 4 would fit well with each other. The final 2 pieces would be a 3-&-D wing and a rugged, bruising PF.

Give them 3-4 years to grow together... imagine what this unit could be come 2022-2023 season, when all 4 have that experience under their belts, unity playing together, and are entering their prime (mid 20s).

Oh, and let?s not forget their reinforcements (6 first rounders in 4 years)...

The potential is there... they have the frame and skill set... just depends on work ethic and want-to.

This is why getting a KD and another max is great. It microwaves their maturation while removing the pressure from them.

Exciting times.

Kiyaman

Legend
Could it be... we might already be closing to having a big 3?

DSJ, Knox, RJ, MRob.

Assuming we draft RJ (and he’s still on the board at 3)...

Assuming we keep these 4 and don’t trade one of them...

Knicks would just need 1 to be special, 1 to be all star type, and the other 2 to be good. The plus is these 4 would fit well with each other. The final 2 pieces would be a 3-&-D wing and a rugged, bruising PF.

Give them 3-4 years to grow together... imagine what this unit could be come 2022-2023 season, when all 4 have that experience under their belts, unity playing together, and are entering their prime (mid 20s).

Oh, and let’s not forget their reinforcements (6 first rounders in 4 years)...

The potential is there... they have the frame and skill set... just depends on work ethic and want-to.

This is why getting a KD and another max is great. It microwaves their maturation while removing the pressure from them.

Exciting times.

Sounds good .. but my winning 4 young-core players would be Frank RJ Knox and MictRob ..
We desperately need FA Durant to sign in the off-season to give fans and teammates hope of making the playoffs.
Plus we need Durant mentor a 2nd season Knox into playing team-ball on both sides of the court.
Perry must resign DJ to a one or two yr contract to be our starting center ..
Plus Perry must trade for or sign a FA experience guard (PG or SG) to be our starter .. not Kyrie! not Kemba!

tiger0330

Legend
Could happen, Knicks were not set on Knox last season until he destroyed Miles Bridges in a 3 on 3 workout. They have MC for 3 more years so the need at PG isn't dire so I could see them changing their mind and selecting a guy that was projected to be the #1 pick this draft. I'm a little skeptical as to why the Griz would show their hand so early, does it help them trade Conley?
Thought it was a little early for the Griz to show their hand on Ja, word is they're not fully committed to Ja and have asked RJ for a private workout which he refused but may reconsider. Ja also underwent arthroscopic knee surgery but is expected to recover in 6 weeks.

mafra

Legend
Scouts discuss Pros and Cons of Knicks picking RJ Barrett in NBA Draft

'He has the three things that I look for in a prospect'
By Ian Begle
y | Jun 7 | 9:00AM

One of the most important drafts in Knicks history is two weeks away. If it goes the way most assume it will, RJ Barrett will be on the board for New York at No. 3. Barrett, a 6-8 forward from Duke, is a tantalizing prospect. He averaged 22.6 points, 4.3 assists and 7.6 rebounds as a freshman -- the first player in NCAA history to have at least 850 points, 250 rebounds and 150 assists in a season. But, like all 18-year-olds, Barrett isn't perfect.

With that in mind, we talked to a few scouts and talent evaluators and asked them to share some of Barrett's strengths and weaknesses.

STRENGTHS:

ATHLETICISM/VERSATILITY

"He has the three things that I look for in a prospect: Elite athleticism, an ability to be dynamic with ball and the ability to shoot. He checks all three boxes," one scout said. "I just don't think his jump shot is as broken as people see it. And he's an elite athlete."

mafra

Legend
Barrett can guard multiple positions I think you'll see him play point and handle the ball a lot too," another scout says. "He's got great ball skills and instincts. You can play him as a facilitator from the perimeter or the high post."

Adds Bryan Oringher, former Wizards video coordinator and advanced scout with the Hawks and Raptors: "He unquestionably has that rare, physical build of a solid 2/3 who can switch 1-4, take the physicality of the game."

COURT VISION

"It's rare to find a scoring wing have multiple games with over 10 assists like Barrett did," Oringher notes. "Though not considered a PG, I see a guy who can play some point forward at the next level?. He plays the game with a terrific pace, reads PNRs well, stays under control and makes the right, simple pass almost every time. ? He plays within himself. He rarely forces things. He makes the simple play offensively. He has a calm demeanor."

Adds another scout: "The plays he made out of the pick-and-roll at Duke were impressive. He's comfortable handling the ball at the top of the floor and showed that he can tilt the defense and create open shots for others. His vision in those situations was advanced for his age, and should translate well to this level."

COMPETITIVE NATURE

"His biggest strength is his will to win. You can tell when he's playing that he really hates losing. From all reports, his work ethic is also apparently fantastic. The best example of his "will to win" is his FIBA play where he led Canada to a gold medal (including a big win against the US team,)" a scout said.

"He's (a) fierce and intense competitor. He just gets it," another talent evaluator says. "His coaches say you won't have a problem with his motor at any time and he's demanding of his teammates but holds them accountable without alienating them."

WEAKNESSES

NOT ENOUGH TOOLS TO SCORE AT THIS LEVEL?

"I see a general lack of creativity in his game. I don't see the ability to pound and elevate and create much of anything from the midrange," notes Oringher. "I don't see much iso ability besides a simple straight left-hand drive. ? It's going to be very difficult for him to be an elite scorer while lacking these attributes."

"There's a concern about his ability to go both directions off the dribble and there wasn't one thing that jumped out about his game at Duke where you said, 'This is an elite skill that will stand out at the next level.' That's worrisome," a scout said.

SHOT SELECTION

"There is a nasty flip side here too (to his competitive nature). That "will to win" can lead to forcing shots, distrust of team/system, etc.," one talent evaluator says. "Too many times this year it appeared as if he didn't trust his teammates/system and forced shots that he had no business taking.

Adds another scout: "Maybe his shot selection will be different at this level but it gave you pause when you watched him this season. The discipline may come, but it's far from a certainty and would leave me a bit concerned if I took him."

TOO UPRIGHT ON OFFENSE

"His lack of wiggle (plays stiff/upright) in the halfcourt is a big (weakness); RJ plays pretty stiff and upright. He's relied almost entirely on bullying smaller players in HS/NCAA to get to the rim, which will not work against bigger and better athletes in the NBA," a scout says. "The lack of wiggle also hurts his finishing ability, as he does not have the quick load-up or vertical pop needed to finish in the paint. Playing him off ball and allowing him to attack off closeouts (assuming his jumper progresses) would be a way to combat this because it would give him a "runway" to load up and attack the rim. When coupled with his average touch, his finishing is a big question mark."

Adds another scout: "There are big questions about his defense, but he has the frame and athleticism to get there at this level. Will he want to do it? It seems like he will, but you can never be sure until you get him on the floor."

mafra

Legend
I?d go as far to say... unless I?m getting KD with AD... then I?m keeping RJ.

I?m fine building around our youth... absorb contracts and accumulate first rounders...

RJ gave me pause with some of his shot selection and ball hogging, but he was by far best Duke freshman in a long time (other than Zion, of course).

Knox and RJ played each other in HS, and I think RJ would be a great leader and this mix blends well together...

DSJ
Knits
Knox
RJ
Robinson

Trier (6th man).

Let the rebuild begin

mafra

Legend
"I won't be meeting with any other teams," Barrett told reporters after working out with the Knicks on Monday. "This is the place I want to be, so I hope they draft me."

Our future is either in RJ and Mitch or AD.

mafra

Legend
Video inn ESPN shows why RJ will be one of the best shot creators in entire NBA.

He led college b-ball in charges, mainly bc there was no spacing. Duke was ranked 327th in 3-point shooting. Defenses collapsed into paint and left perimeter wide open.

When there was space, RJ was unguardable on penetration.

He?ll have space to operate (think how Tatum thrives outside Duke).

mafra

Legend
Barrett was such a prodigious prep star that he was ranked No. 1 in two separate high school classes. He was unanimously considered the No. 1 player in the 2019 high school class before reclassifying up a year and earning the same honor with the 2018 group. Williamson?s high school ranking, conversely, was all over the map: ESPN had him No. 2, Rivals had him No. 5, and 247 Sports had him No. 7, below Kentucky?s E.J. Montgomery.

If Williamson so quickly became the No. 1 NBA prospect once he arrived at Duke, why was Barrett considered the superior recruit? There are a few different reasons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...ruiting-duke-highlights-aau-high-school-stats

mafra

Legend
Barrett starred at FIBA events Zion never played in

FIBA youth tournaments offer players the opportunity to test themselves in a high-stakes environment against international competition with statistical tracking. R.J. Barrett built his reputation at these events while playing for his home country of Canada. Zion Williamson never competed in a FIBA tournament for USA Basketball.

Barrett first competed on the global stage as a 14-year-old playing up at the U16 FIBA Americas tournament in Argentina in 2015, where he led the team in scoring despite being the youngest player on the roster. He did it again at the U17 FIBA World Championships in Spain a year later, averaging better than 18 points per game.

Barrett would have the defining moment of his prep career the next summer when he led Canada to victory over John Calipari?s U.S. team in the semifinals over the U19 FIBA World Cup in Egypt. All Barrett did in that game was go off for 38 points, 13 rebounds, and five assists.

Canada would win the gold medal in its next game. Barrett?s numbers for the entire tournament were incredible.

Williamson did participate in USA Basketball?s 2017 junior minicamp, where SB Nation first got an up-close look at his talent. He never competed in a FIBA event, though.

mafra

Legend
Barrett aced the All-Star circuit

Being from Canada gave Barrett opportunities that Williamson, a native of South Carolina, never had. The biggest one came at Basketball Without Borders, an NBA sanctioned event during All-Star weekend that brings together top international talent for a camp and picks the best players to compete in a game.

Barrett drew rave reviews at Basketball Without Borders when he went in 2017, winning camp MVP and kickstarting his early draft hype.

Another opportunity Barrett had that Williamson didn?t was the chance to play in the prestigous Nike Hoop Summit twice. Barrett was the youngest player on the world team in 2017, scoring nine points in 20 minutes. He returned the next year and led the World team to victory by finishing with 20 points, nine rebounds and six assists.

Williamson was chosen for the Hoop Summit on the U.S. side, but didn?t play as he nursed a hand injury.

mafra

Legend
R.J. played for a basketball factory in high school. Zion stayed local.

Though Barrett grew up in Canada, he transferred to Florida-based prep school Montverde Academy, a de facto basketball factory that plays a national schedule and helped develop Ben Simmons, D?Angelo Russell, and many more. Meanwhile, Williamson stuck with his hometown school Spartanburg Day despite it having no reputation for producing elite basketball talent.

While Barrett played and starred in Nike?s EYBL grassroots circuit, Williamson played for Adidas, which tends to receive less national attention. Williamson also didn?t play a full schedule during his rising senior year on the grassroots circuit because of minor knee injury.

Barrett?s numbers on the EYBL circuit for UPlay, while impressive, did start to show some holes in his game. He averaged more turnovers than assists and shot only 43 percent from the field and 31 percent from three-point range.

Zion unofficially surpassed Barrett on Duke?s Canadian exhibition trip

Barrett was the No. 1 recruit on every 2018 high school class ranking. He was the No. 1 overall NBA draft pick on every early projection. Things changed when both players finally put on a Duke uniform for the first time during the Blue Devils? three-game exhibition trip to Canada.

Williamson was absolutely electric during those three preseason games. Barrett, the hometown kid, was also productive, but the shear spectacle of Williamson?s talent immediately overshadowed him. When it was over, we wrote that Williamson was college basketball?s next mega-star.

There?s no debate between Williamson and Barrett now

Barrett had an ultra productive freshman year at Duke, averaging 22.6 points, 7.6 rebounds, and 4.3 assists. Williamson still eclipsed him in every conceivable way.

Williamson was simply the most efficient player college basketball has seen in the modern era. He was a game-breaker on defense, too. While Barrett finished with a true shooting percentage of 53.2 percent, Williamson finished at a historically good 70.2 percent. As Barrett drew criticism for his shot selection and tunnel vision as ball handler, Williamson proved to be a terrific teammate who consistently made winning plays.

Williamson is going to be the first pick in the 2019 NBA Draft to the New Orleans Pelicans. Barrett is likely to go No. 3 overall to the New York Knicks. It all seems so obvious now, but no one would have believed it before they each arrived at Duke.