Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Road to RJ

— Steve Nash (Barrett’s godfather): “He’s incredible. It’s hard to believe he’s only 18 years old. Really his skill is he’s a fantastic passer. His size, at that position, it’s hard to compare. At 6-7, to handle the ball and pass like that is a skill that translates even more so in the NBA.”

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Kiya is making me paranoid how he keeps saying Memphis is going to take RJ in a surprise move and screw us.
    Back in December/January, we all were saying Zion & Barrett were gonna be the first and 2nd pick of the draft .. nothing change since then. Unless Dolan/Mills pay $$$ Memphis to not select Barrett at the 2nd pick.

The 2-Way performance the 18 yr old Barrett showed throughout his season with Duke are he has the capability to take all Knox & Mario minute at SF, all Dotson & Trier minute at SG, and all Frank, DSJr, and Muddy minute at the point. Barrett has the potential to be a great 2-Way point-forward.
    Memphis has an upcoming super-star in 2nd season PF Jaren Jackson Jr., why not add a upcoming super-star SF Barrett in the lineup to tandem with Jaren Jackson Jr. the next 4 to 6 years.

Some NBA teams, according to Marc Berman, feel RJ is going to have better career (than Zion). He says most feel RJ should be second but conceded some believe while Barrett is safer bet, Ja has higher ceiling.

Look, I want RJ over Ja... I hope he falls to third.... I really hope MEM has their hearts set in Murant, but the pre draft process may sway their minds.

If we get RJ I am stoked!!!

Asked what he feels he needs to do to improve at the next level, he kept it simple:

"Everything," Barrett told The Athletic's Shams Charania. "No one is perfect in one area of the game, so just continue to work on everything and be a complete player."

Barrett, who averaged 22.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 4.3 assists for a Duke team that reached the Elite Eight, said he wants to be one of the top two-way players when he makes the jump from college to the pros.

"My ball-handling ability, the way I pass and score, I really try to do everything on the court," Barrett said. "To try to do that at a high level will be a different task, but I think I'm ready for it."

Veteran

RJ Barrett doesn't really have any aspect of the game that really stands out (unlike Zion who has that jaw-dropping athleticism) but I'm good with a guy who can do everything on the court. If he can be our version of Jayson Tatum, I'm fine with him as a draft pick

12th man

Saw a comment in an article that the Knicks right now have Ja rated higher than RJ. If the Griz scouts have the same opinion they pick Ja ahead of RJ and RJ is ours.

The left-handed Canadian has been compared to James Harden because of his scoring ability. Entering his senior season at Montverde (FL) Academy, he led Team Canada to a gold medal in the FIBA U19 World Championship in Egypt, beating a John Calipari-led USA team in the semifinals along the way. Barrett went for 38 points, 13 rebounds and 5 assists in that game and then led Canada to its first gold medal on the international stage with a win over Italy in the final.

At Montverde, Barrett guided the team to a perfect 35-0 record as a senior, winning every major national Player of the Year and the GEICO High School Nationals along the way.

Boyle (RJ’s HS Coach, who has coached more top 3 NBA lottery picks since 2011 other than Coach K) last says people conveniently forget — or don’t want to remember — that Barrett won those awards, not Zion.

“People forget that R.J. Barrett was the USA Today Player of the Year,” Boyle said. “It’s almost like you’re not allowed to mention it because that would be not pleasing to Zion.”

Boyle pointed out that Barrett led the ACC in scoring at 23.4 points per game and set the ACC freshman scoring record.

“He created some incredible stats,” Boyle said. “He’s the all-time leading freshman scorer in the history of the ACC. I mean, who’s done that hasn’t been a star player in the NBA? So I think you’re getting a guy that’s going to be a multiple-time All-Star, a guy that’s incredibly mature on the court and off the court.”

Nickeil Alexander-Walker, a fellow Canadian two years older than Barrett, called him an “elite scorer” who will “bring happiness to Knicks fans.”

Barrett has also drawn praise from everyone from Jalen Rose to Isiah Thomas to Coach K to Jay Bilas.

“R.J. Barrett could easily be the best player in the draft,” Rose said Wednesday on ESPN’s ‘Get Up!” “If I’m the Knicks, yes I hold on to the pick.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ool-coach/amp/

As for his character, Boyle said most players playing alongside Zion “would’ve been upset, bitched and jealous” that Williamson got “most of the attention.”

Instead, Barrett worked on his game, never got hurt and became best friends with Zion.

“He was happy for his teammate and just kept working and playing,” Boyle said. “It never affected him one way or the other, and I think that’s an incredibly mature player. And I think that’s an incredible value to any NBA team, that no matter where you fall, or however much attention you get or don’t get, that you’re going to come to work, be productive, be a good teammate and play your butt off every day. I think that tells a lot about the type of career that he’s going to have, whether he ends up being a star level player or a good player. He’s going to be the same guy and compete every day.”

(RJ took over as PG when Trae Jones was out with an injury, running the offense).

Veteran

My only concern is how Duke got drug when Zion wasn’t on the floor. NC mopped the floor with Duke as soon as Zion left the floor. Duke didn’t win the ACC conference title or National Championship with a HOF coach and 3 top ten NBA draft picks. Let that sink in for a moment. With all that “talent” Duke wasn’t even the best team in their own conference. That’s just a fact. Matter of fact they barely got past UCF of it wasn’t for a layup that rimmed out. Johnny Dawkins Jr damn near beat them dropped 30 plus and that 7-6 African kid wasn’t going. I guess you can tell I’m not a Dukie for sure but from what I saw Barret and Reddish weren’t crap when Zion wasn’t on the floor with them on Chief. We need to focus on FA getting Durant and Kyrie because these draft picks while great won’t be able to pull us up out of the NBA gutter

Veteran

I really think he'll be a great player. I see no reason to trade him. How many teams have actually become successful because they traded a top 3 pick?

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by jimkcchief88 View Post
    My only concern is how Duke got drug when Zion wasn’t on the floor. NC mopped the floor with Duke as soon as Zion left the floor. Duke didn’t win the ACC conference title or National Championship with a HOF coach and 3 top ten NBA draft picks. Let that sink in for a moment. With all that “talent” Duke wasn’t even the best team in their own conference. That’s just a fact. Matter of fact they barely got past UCF of it wasn’t for a layup that rimmed out. Johnny Dawkins Jr damn near beat them dropped 30 plus and that 7-6 African kid wasn’t going. I guess you can tell I’m not a Dukie for sure but from what I saw Barret and Reddish weren’t crap when Zion wasn’t on the floor with them on Chief. We need to focus on FA getting Durant and Kyrie because these draft picks while great won’t be able to pull us up out of the NBA gutter
    I said the same, how does a team with 4 first round draft choices and a HOF coach manage not winning the national title but doesn't even make it to the semis. Trey made the right decision going back to school to work on his shot, Cam has a lot to prove, Zion is going to be a defensive demon out of the the gate, we hope RJ comes out like Tatum in his rookie season.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    I said the same, how does a team with 4 first round draft choices and a HOF coach manage not winning the national title but doesn't even make it to the semis. Trey made the right decision going back to school to work on his shot, Cam has a lot to prove, Zion is going to be a defensive demon out of the the gate, we hope RJ comes out like Tatum in his rookie season.
    Trey and Cam were awful in the tourney and RJ missed a bunch of shots down the stretch. Coach K didn’t call timeout (to make sure they pounded ball into paint to Zion). Kids are freshman and it happens in basketball. Harden was awful in tourney and busted my bracket. He turned out pretty good.

Brendan Suhr, the Knicks’ former scouting director and the man who used to run their draft, doesn’t have any misgivings about the club taking 6-foot-7 Duke swingman RJ Barrett as the third pick instead of trading it.

“They better pick him if he’s there,’’ Suhr told The Post at the draft combine, which ended Friday.

“RJ has potential to be as good a scoring guard as we’ve had come into the league in the last 10 years. He’s very versatile, with a mentality to score. He’s dominated every level, dominated at the FIBA [International Basketball Federation] level. And he’s got great size. He’s a winner, comes from great basketball and athletic family. You’re getting a great kid. He’s the strongest candidate for that pick.’’

Jay Bilas on Barrett:

“He’s a lot like James Harden in the way he plays, not just the fact that he’s left-handed. But he gets to the basket with ease, and he’s a fabulous finisher, and one of the best rebounding guards in the country.

He can play the point … people forget he’s had a triple-double this year and could have more. But he’s playing alongside Zion Williamson, so that’s kind of sucked all the air out of the room. When Zion was out, he carried a tremendous load, he never comes out of the game. He never seems to get tired.

He’s not backed down from anything...Nobody’s been able to stop him and he doesn’t take plays off. When other people have been injured or sick or hurt, he’s played every single game. And nobody’s asked about, ‘Hey, RJ how do you feel?’ He’s always having to make up for somebody else being out. You’ve never heard anybody say, ‘Well, we’ve gotta make up for RJ. He’s the guy making up for everybody else. As great as everybody else has been, nobody has been as durable as RJ.”

Durability is huge, after what we’ve seen with the other lottery selections lately.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    Trey and Cam were awful in the tourney and RJ missed a bunch of shots down the stretch. Coach K didn’t call timeout (to make sure they pounded ball into paint to Zion). Kids are freshman and it happens in basketball. Harden was awful in tourney and busted my bracket. He turned out pretty good.
    No wonder you hate "The Beard" lol mafra. I read a lot of guys question how good Zion is going to be when Duke flamed out in the tourney asking how great is he when he couldn't single handedly put the Duke team on his back and carry them to the title. Great players can do that but we will see if it defines Zion at the next level.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    Brendan Suhr, the Knicks’ former scouting director and the man who used to run their draft, doesn’t have any misgivings about the club taking 6-foot-7 Duke swingman RJ Barrett as the third pick instead of trading it.

“They better pick him if he’s there,’’ Suhr told The Post at the draft combine, which ended Friday.

“RJ has potential to be as good a scoring guard as we’ve had come into the league in the last 10 years. He’s very versatile, with a mentality to score. He’s dominated every level, dominated at the FIBA [International Basketball Federation] level. And he’s got great size. He’s a winner, comes from great basketball and athletic family. You’re getting a great kid. He’s the strongest candidate for that pick.’’
    IF .. the Knicks are lucky to get RJ Barrett with the 3rd pick in the draft .. I became very optimistic watching Barrett and Zion athleticism and team-leadership looking NBA-Ready throughout Duke season. I did not see any weak area in their performance that showed they would have a problem stepping up their performance to NBA level. Matter of fact .. I see Barrett rookie season equally compared to the Mavs Luka Doncic rookie season stats!
    Now! Fizdale non-strategic coaching system will be a problem for one of Duke's head-coach Mike Krzyzewski top system students.