Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Road to RJ

Veteran

What I figured

I’m cool either way. Mitch, Knox and RJ (plus 2 first rounder) probably better to compliment 2 max guys anyway. 3 max is nice but not if it hurts depth.

Veteran

Griff is on the road to ruin. AD and his camp are going to do everything possible to force the trade and AD’s trade value can only go down once the season starts. Zion telling a story about AD snubbing him for an autograph when he was a kid and how bad that made him feel is the icing on the cake.

This should be about building around Zion. Hey, it would great if AD would commit and sign extension and stay in NO. But, this has to happen before the draft. Pelicans can’t let this linger and let the toxicity infringe in any way upon the ZW era.

He’s either all in or you work a trade to jumpstart the rebuild.

It’s simple and I can’t blame him for trying.

Still, every action should be about catering to Zion... even if that’s at the expense of AD.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    This should be about building around Zion. Hey, it would great if AD would commit and sign extension and stay in NO. But, this has to happen before the draft. Pelicans can’t let this linger and let the toxicity infringe in any way upon the ZW era.

He’s either all in or you work a trade to jumpstart the rebuild.

It’s simple and I can’t blame him for trying.

Still, every action should be about catering to Zion... even if that’s at the expense of AD.
    The Pelicans are the scary TEAM in this upcoming 2019 Draft? Holding two Aces .. 1st Pick & AD Trade!
    The Pelicans has the chance to change (for good or worst) more than just their team on draft night.
    Or the Pelicans could just select Zion, and keep denying AD a trade, until FA market open up to give the Pelicans a chance to sign one of the star FA in the off-season.

AD athleticism prove he could control the front-court practically by himself .. AD also know the Pelicans True Holiday need a star tandem partner in the backcourt to help him match-up to the eight (8) teams having star tandem backcourt (Curry/Klay or Harden/CP3 or Lillard /McCollum or Ect.) in the western conference.
    I believe AD would announce staying in N.O. after draft night .. if the Pelicans decide to trade Zion for a 2-Way combo-guard to help Holiday run the point in a lineup next season .. How much is the 2019 first pick Zion worth?
    Here's the Players AD would like? Lebron? Donovan Mitchell? Bradley Beal? Victor Oladipo? Conley? Tatum & Brown?

Article in Post said RJ is cool being the man for Knicks or being wingman for Zion.

Best friends at Montverde, Devoe remains close with Barrett and is well aware of his Williamson bond.

“They love each other for real,” Devoe said. “They really are brothers. They love being with each other on and off the court and compete with each other. I would imagine they would try to play with each other in the league.”

https://nypost.com/2019/05/22/rj-bar...-close-friend/

Again, if NO decides AD won’t budge... won’t sign... they’ll naturally approach Zion and seek his input. What if ZW tells NO, “Get me RJ!”???

This is why NYK can’t be ruled out. They may not have next package to offer but they possess something nobody else does: RJ and Mitch.

I mention Robinson bc he is from Louisiana and is more likely to stay than. Brown or Kuzma.

To me, the best reason not to trade RJ is that perhaps it lures ZW to NYC in 5 years... when both are just 24!!!

The man who recruited RJ Barrett to Duke said his best attribute is his “competitive streak.’’

Jeff Capel, a former Blue Devils assistant and now head coach at Pittsburgh, said he feels Barrett’s game translates better to the pros than it did in college.

“I think the kid is a winner and he’s a competitor. As we went through the recruiting process of looking at RJ, he’s one of those guys that’s wired differently,” Capel said on “MSG 150” on Wednesday.

“He has this competitive streak that you just can’t teach. And the thing that I loved about him is that he’s always won, he’s used to winning. And he has an impact on winning, whether it was at Montverde [Academy in Florida], representing Canada in international competition and then what he was able to do at Duke this year.”

“I think he’s going to be a great pro,’’ Capel said. “I think he’s been trained from an early age to be a pro. He has an amazing family. His dad [Rowan, who played at St. John’s] has done an amazing job of teaching him the game, teaching him how to work, to conduct and act like a pro. I think his game is tailor-made for the NBA game. It’s more open. I think you will see a little bit more of his creativity and his ability to impact the game in multiple ways.”

Barrett is the only freshman in ACC history to average 22 points, seven assists and four rebounds per game, and he did it while sharing the ball with national phenomenon Zion Williamson. Capel said Barrett didn’t get the credit for surging when Williamson went out with a knee injury.

“I think they’re both great players and certainly I don’t think whoever drafts either one of them can go wrong,’’ Capel said. “I think each franchise will be incredibly happy. I think it’s a testament to RJ that he was able to maintain a level of consistency in being consistently … really, really good when all the attention was not on him.’’

https://nypost.com/2019/05/22/how-rj...uke-recruiter/

12th man

PG-Frank
    SG- Barrett
    SF- Knox
    PF- Durant
    C- DJ
    6th Man- Trier
    7th- MitchRob
    8th- Dotson

Scouts explain why Knicks' Kevin Knox and RJ Barrett could work well together
    Barrett's want to head to the bucket, Knox' spot-up shooting complement each other
    By Ian Begley | May 23 | 10:00AM

https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/lebro...rsey/307433282

This Knicks offseason can go in many different directions.

New York has more than $70 million in cap space and motivation to land star players. There is cautious optimism about landing Kevin Durant in free agency. For argument's sake, let's say the Knicks sign Durant, another max player like Kyrie Irving, and don't trade for a star player like Anthony Davis.

In that scenario, young players like Kevin Knox and RJ Barrett -- New York's presumptive pick at No. 3 -- would be vital parts of the club's future.

Without knowing the other three players on the floor, it's tough to predict how successful Knox and Barrett would be in lineups together. But a small sampling of scouts revealed reasons for Knicks fans to be optimistic about a Knox-Barrett pairing.

Here are truncated observations from three scouts on how the two wings may fit together:

Pro Scout

"I think (a Barrett-Knox pairing is) fine. Kevin's not really a slasher. I think he kind of wants to catch the ball and shoot it a little more than he wants to catch the ball and put it on the deck and get to the hoop. (Knox was 68th in drives per game among the 107 players to play at least 28 minutes per game last season, per NBA.com). I do think RJ Barrett wants to get to the hoop. That's one of the things I love about him. That's why I think they would work well together."

Bryan Oringher, former Wizards video coordinator and advanced scout with the Hawks and Raptors (who has a great written and video breakdown of Barrett)

"RJ and Knox complement each other relatively well. I think they both fit that 2/3 mold where they can guard either wing and play in a scheme that allows them to switch onto 1s and 4s at times. What Barrett brings that Knox doesn't have is the ability to be a secondary creator. Kind of like an Evan Fournier - Barrett can play out of high PNR, make the right read.

"I think Knox is more like another guy drafted last year - Kevin Huerter. He'll be able to handle the ball a tiny bit, but he's mostly a spot-up shooter, come off some screens. He has a decent stroke that just needs to be honed a ton more. I think Barrett would do well though as the more ball-dominant guy and can get Knox a lot of shots. The fit isn't perfect in that both are really raw, have a long way to go on their handles, shots, and other aspects of their games. And I think their success is obviously contingent on which potential stars they play with and how much they can 'ease' into their roles, potentially off the bench. Both are so young and raw. Also, I don't think either are near outstanding defenders and the Knicks' defense could continue to struggle if they're playing the majority of minutes at the wings."

College scout

"In today's NBA, RJ can play 1-4. So there's no reason it won't work well on offense. Barrett has always played with talent around him and been great. Nobody is gonna slow that kid down…. I think you really want to get Barrett going downhill. He's almost impossible to stop in the lane and that can create opportunities for Kevin. The questions are on defense, of course. Both have the frame to be able to defend. It's just a matter of learning to do it at the NBA level."

Veteran

RJ reportedly refused a private workout for Memphis, who has the #2 pick. RJ definitely wants the Knicks.

The New York Knicks will host RJ Barrett for a workout on June 10th as he looks like the likely selection at No. 3.

Barrett would be excited about joining the Knicks, according to sources.

The Knicks, however, are doing due diligence on other prospects in the top 10 as they could move back. The Knicks view the concept of trading down as a way of acquiring pieces that would fit better around a star they might sign in free agency such as Kevin Durant or Kyrie Irving.

The Knicks are considering trading the No. 3 pick to the Atlanta Hawks for Nos. 8 and 10. The Hawks would essentially be on the opposite side of a deal they did last year in which they traded down from No. 3 with the Dallas Mavericks to pick up an additional selection. A deal is unlikely to occur until the draft is underway to know which players are available.

The Knicks have been looking at Cam Reddish, Jarrett Culver, Coby White and Nassir Little.

It should be noted, though, that just because the Knicks are talking about getting back both of the Hawks’ picks, it doesn’t necessarily mean that that would be all they got back. The Hawks also have three second-round picks this year and a couple of heavily-protected first rounders from the Cavs and the Thunder in the next few years that could be a part of this package and make it a little more congruent with the Dallas package a year ago.

Second, the part about the Knicks wanting to get players that would better complement high-volume players like Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant does kind of make sense. A guy like Barrett, at his best, profiles as a top option at the next level. Maybe the Knicks think picks 8 and 10 can better address their needs with a couple of All-Stars incoming.
    Last edited by mafra; May 31, 2019 at 22:06.

Sorry, Cam and White not worth RJ. Unless other assets are acquired... don’t be cute. If they toss in Collins or a future 1st AND our evaluators aren’t sold on Barrett... then OK.

But it’s not like we are getting Hunter and Culver here.

Anyway, this tells me they must like Nasir or another PF (like kid from Gonzaga).

Dwayne Washington first trained RJ Barrett when he was 12 years old. As director of the UPLAYCanada grass roots program, Washington also coached Barrett for several years. So he knows the 19-year-old well. And Washington is confident Barrett would be a perfect fit on and off the court in New York.

"If he goes to New York, the only thing he will be defined by is winning. It's not about, 'I'm here to get a check' or 'I made it to the league -- look momma, I made it.' His goals are so high and they all revolve around winning," Washington said in a phone interview with SNY. "I can't say that for everybody. But he's different."

Washington is a citizen of Canada but grew up in the Bronx. So he's not speaking with an out-of-town perspective when he discusses Barrett's fit in the Big Apple.

He's been raised with a New York mentality. He's been playing basketball in New York since he was 4 years old," Washington said, referencing Barrett's visits to the city to visit his mother, Resha's, family (Barrett's father, Rowan, played college basketball at St. John's). "He fits in, he's a dog. He's (the kind of player) New York would say, 'Hey, this is what a New Yorker is.' He's an animal."

Barrett is expected to be available at the No. 3 pick, where the Knicks are slated to select. ESPN reported on Friday that the Knicks are thinking about potentially trading down with the Hawks for multiple picks, but a league source told SNY that the neither side is seriously considering the deal at the moment.

New York appears to be doing the same due diligence that any team with a top pick does ahead of the draft.

Washington cautions it would be a mistake for New York to pass on Barrett, which is expected given his relationship with the 19-year-old. But Washington cites Barrett's mental fortitude and desire to be in the city as evidence to support his position.

"RJ can take criticism. He's been in the media his whole life. He answers tough questions. He knew the spotlight would be on him (throughout high school and college)," Washington said. "And he wants New York! You've got guys running from New York. You've got guys that don't want that heat; they don't want the fire. They don't want the high expectations.

"You've got (players) who want to go to small towns so they can hide, make their money, cost of living is low and they're good. No, not RJ. He wants to be in New York."

Washington, a longtime Knicks fan, has seen athletes in the city struggle with the media and fan attention/expectations. He believes Barrett, a 6-foot-8 wing, can thrive in that atmosphere.

"You've got to be careful. You've got a slam dunk," said Washginton, who has coached other elite players such as Clippers guard Shai Gilgeous Alexander and Florida's Andrew Nembhard. "Wherever he goes, winning will happen,"

Washington also pushed back against evaluators who question whether Barrett's shooting (30.8 percent from behind the arc at Duke last season) can improve.

"If you want winning, you want to look at the lifetime of the athlete, you don't want to look at one year," Washington said of Barrett, the 2018 Gatorade National Player of the Year in high school.

On the idea of the Knicks passing on Barrett on draft night, Washington offered a bit of a warning to his hometown team.

"I'm a Knick fan, baby," he said. "... Be careful."

Veteran

Uh oh. Ja Morant apparently set to get scoped and have a loose body removed from his knee. Does this phase Memphis at all, I wonder? Probably not, but I continue to be paranoid somehow we lose out on RJ.

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Uh oh. Ja Morant apparently set to get scoped and have a loose body removed from his knee. Does this phase Memphis at all, I wonder? Probably not, but I continue to be paranoid somehow we lose out on RJ.
    Me2! After Knits and Knox, I want an alpha dog who will battle with fierce competitiveness.

I wonder if this is another reason they’re exploring trading down.

Regardless, NY in a tough spot. We can’t chose and we can’t trade pick based on free agency bc we won’t know for sure during draft if we can get 2 max guys.