The Knicks Process: Where do we go from here?

mafra

Legend
Theknicksblog.com

Ian Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

Knicks great Clyde Frazier was 'shocked' when Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving signed with the Brooklyn Nets in free agency. But he doesn't see those moves as a sign that the Knicks have ceded their title as the most relevant NBA team in New York.

Frazier thinks the Knicks pivoted well after missing on Durant and their other top targets - and he doesn't see these Nets teams having more success than the Jason Kidd/Kenyon Martin Nets clubs that reached back-to-back Finals in the early 2000s.

Frazier discussed these topics and more during a conversation with SNY after his NYC Basketball Kids/Playbook Kids camp on Thursday:

On the Knicks offseason: "Obviously they wanted to acquire some superstars and that didn't happen but I like the guys that we did come up with. I think they're very talented and they should be able to compete."

On RJ Barrett: "His versatility, creativity (is impressive). He was under a lot of duress in the first few games (at Summer League) but after that he showed his real talent and I think he's going to be a player."

On the Knicks' free-agent additions: "I think (Marcus) Morris is a very good player. (Julius) Randle probably is going to be the biggest guy that we're expecting the most out of. I like (Elfrid) Payton, man, in the backcourt. He's like a quadruple threat. He can dish and swish, he rebounds, he steals the ball. So I think he's going to be a valuable asset. (Bobby) Portis, also a very physical guy. I see him playing a little more center behind (Mitchell) Robinson, who is still foul prone. He has to prove that he can play without creating fouls. But his metamorphosis has been quite amazing, what he's been able to accomplish lately. So there's a lot of optimism with this team."

On Kevin Durant/Kyrie Irving signing with the Nets: "I was shocked. To tell the truth, I didn't see that happening. Nobody anticipated that. Early on it was that they were coming to the Knicks. So you never know in this league what players are doing or where they're going. So I think the Knicks obviously did the second best thing that they were able to do. And they still have the freedom in 2020 to try to come up with some big-name free agents so kudos to the front office."

On what Durant and Irving's signings say about the Nets: "Remember they brought in (Paul) Pierce and The Big Ticket (Kevin Garnett). So that didn't work out. So there's no guarantee that any of this stuff is going to work. But I think it's still a Knicks town. I can't see them being more dominant than (when the Nets had Jason) Kidd, they had K-Mart (Kenyon Martin) and those guys. They got to the Finals two consecutive times and people were still talking about, 'What's wrong with the Knicks?' I think it's still a Knick town but they made a lot of progress. New York's a big city but there's room for two prominent teams here."

On David Fizdale's options for player rotations this season: "He came in as a defensive guru. So last year, obviously we didn't see that. So I think now with this team, that's what he has to do. Make these guys play defense. When they get tired, just substitute them. Because one guy is not that much better than the other guy. The talent is very equal, so I think Fiz is salivating right now with the squad that he has and the defensive prowess, the young players? that are on the threshold. Obviously, they didn't have this last year. They didn't have this much flexibility, versatility. So I'm interested to see how he's going to deal with it."

On what the Knicks need to do to attract top stars: "I think it's there. Morris proved that. He was with the Spurs and then he decided to come to the Knicks. I think it's a little overrated that the players don't want to come to New York anymore. Obviously, there's more scrutiny. But they realize if you come here what's at stake if you can win. So I think the thing will turn around. Players are going to be willing to come to New York. I must say I'm not an advocate of what's going on (with star players like Anthony Davis and Kawhi Leonard forcing trades). I don't think it's good for the league where guys can dictate what teams they go to, playing together. Because you negate the draft. The draft is the key (to) parity.

"So you have this going on, (and) a lot of teams are not even going to be able to compete. You're going to have 4-5 super teams. I think the commissioner has alluded to that fact, (Warriors coach) Steve Kerr has alluded to it as well. I agree with those guys. You've got to do something to try to keep the league more equal."

On why he's been attending camps for kids for the past 50 years: "I feel compelled to give back. My philosophy today is that if I could help one kid. If I could change one of your kids' lives today, that's why I'm here?. People have helped me to get where I am. So I'd be an ingrate not to give back."

tiger0330

Legend
Theknicksblog.com

Ian Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

Knicks great Clyde Frazier was 'shocked' when Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving signed with the Brooklyn Nets in free agency. But he doesn't see those moves as a sign that the Knicks have ceded their title as the most relevant NBA team in New York.

Frazier thinks the Knicks pivoted well after missing on Durant and their other top targets - and he doesn't see these Nets teams having more success than the Jason Kidd/Kenyon Martin Nets clubs that reached back-to-back Finals in the early 2000s.

Frazier discussed these topics and more during a conversation with SNY after his NYC Basketball Kids/Playbook Kids camp on Thursday:

On the Knicks offseason: "Obviously they wanted to acquire some superstars and that didn't happen but I like the guys that we did come up with. I think they're very talented and they should be able to compete."

On RJ Barrett: "His versatility, creativity (is impressive). He was under a lot of duress in the first few games (at Summer League) but after that he showed his real talent and I think he's going to be a player."

On the Knicks' free-agent additions: "I think (Marcus) Morris is a very good player. (Julius) Randle probably is going to be the biggest guy that we're expecting the most out of. I like (Elfrid) Payton, man, in the backcourt. He's like a quadruple threat. He can dish and swish, he rebounds, he steals the ball. So I think he's going to be a valuable asset. (Bobby) Portis, also a very physical guy. I see him playing a little more center behind (Mitchell) Robinson, who is still foul prone. He has to prove that he can play without creating fouls. But his metamorphosis has been quite amazing, what he's been able to accomplish lately. So there's a lot of optimism with this team."

On Kevin Durant/Kyrie Irving signing with the Nets: "I was shocked. To tell the truth, I didn't see that happening. Nobody anticipated that. Early on it was that they were coming to the Knicks. So you never know in this league what players are doing or where they're going. So I think the Knicks obviously did the second best thing that they were able to do. And they still have the freedom in 2020 to try to come up with some big-name free agents so kudos to the front office."

On what Durant and Irving's signings say about the Nets: "Remember they brought in (Paul) Pierce and The Big Ticket (Kevin Garnett). So that didn't work out. So there's no guarantee that any of this stuff is going to work. But I think it's still a Knicks town. I can't see them being more dominant than (when the Nets had Jason) Kidd, they had K-Mart (Kenyon Martin) and those guys. They got to the Finals two consecutive times and people were still talking about, 'What's wrong with the Knicks?' I think it's still a Knick town but they made a lot of progress. New York's a big city but there's room for two prominent teams here."

On David Fizdale's options for player rotations this season: "He came in as a defensive guru. So last year, obviously we didn't see that. So I think now with this team, that's what he has to do. Make these guys play defense. When they get tired, just substitute them. Because one guy is not that much better than the other guy. The talent is very equal, so I think Fiz is salivating right now with the squad that he has and the defensive prowess, the young players… that are on the threshold. Obviously, they didn't have this last year. They didn't have this much flexibility, versatility. So I'm interested to see how he's going to deal with it."

On what the Knicks need to do to attract top stars: "I think it's there. Morris proved that. He was with the Spurs and then he decided to come to the Knicks. I think it's a little overrated that the players don't want to come to New York anymore. Obviously, there's more scrutiny. But they realize if you come here what's at stake if you can win. So I think the thing will turn around. Players are going to be willing to come to New York. I must say I'm not an advocate of what's going on (with star players like Anthony Davis and Kawhi Leonard forcing trades). I don't think it's good for the league where guys can dictate what teams they go to, playing together. Because you negate the draft. The draft is the key (to) parity.

"So you have this going on, (and) a lot of teams are not even going to be able to compete. You're going to have 4-5 super teams. I think the commissioner has alluded to that fact, (Warriors coach) Steve Kerr has alluded to it as well. I agree with those guys. You've got to do something to try to keep the league more equal."

On why he's been attending camps for kids for the past 50 years: "I feel compelled to give back. My philosophy today is that if I could help one kid. If I could change one of your kids' lives today, that's why I'm here…. People have helped me to get where I am. So I'd be an ingrate not to give back."
Now all of a sudden Steve Kerr wants more balance in the NBA when he fielded a team of 5 all stars and went to the finals 5 straight seasons. What a troll.

I’d expect the Clips to win the championship this season if they can stay healthy, I personally think it’s great for the league that the NBA landscape could change so dramatically with the Warriors possibly not making the playoffs and the Clips coming out of nowhere to win a championship this season.

mafra

Legend
In an interview with the New York Post, Bobby Portis revealed that he was told during his free agent meeting with the Knicks that Mitchell Robinson and Julius Randle will be the team's starting frontcourt.
The interview is centered around Portis wanting to be Sixth Man of the Year, which is another good indication of the Knicks' plans for Robinson at center. He ranked inside the top-50 in nine-category leagues as a rookie in just 20.6 minutes per game. Robinson played his way into the top-15 over the final two months of the season while playing 25.2 minutes per game. With an expectation of around 25 minutes per game, Robinson will be on the first-round radar heading into his sophomore season.

tiger0330

Legend
I'd expect a starting lineup of:

Payton
Ellington
Morris
Randall
MRob

Maybe DSJ beats EP out for the starting PG and RJ beats out Ellington for that 2nd guard spot. They got Nits coming off the bench for French team in FIBA, the guy doesn't even get the respect of starting for his national team, critical pre-season for him because the Knicks have to make a decision on his option in Oct.

mafra

Legend
Poasting and toasting:

Mitchell Robinson is the tallest and shiniest building block the Knicks have right now, and it?s nice to see the team appears to understand it?s time to start showcasing him as such.

For those still wary of whether the Knicks are really turning over a new leaf as an organization, try to relax. The regular season is still far off in the distance, and it?s totally fine to have a summer fling with optimism. Here, let this Portis quote from the above-linked New York Post article, in which he talks up the team?s new bench, sooth your weary soul.

?I think we?ll be a top-ranked [bench] after the Clippers with Lou [Williams] and Montrell Hazell ? that?s pretty strong. With our bench we have really good weapons in me, Marcus [Morris], Taj [Gibson], Allonzo Trier, Wayne Ellington. The list goes on.

?We have a quality rotation of guys in the league for a while now. That?s being slept on and not really talked about. People are living in the past with the Knicks. We?re not part of that. We have to create the now and present.?

Kiyaman

Legend
I'd expect a starting lineup of:

Payton
Ellington
Morris
Randall
MRob

Maybe DSJ beats EP out for the starting PG and RJ beats out Ellington for that 2nd guard spot. They got Nits coming off the bench for French team in FIBA, the guy doesn't even get the respect of starting for his national team, critical pre-season for him because the Knicks have to make a decision on his option in Oct.

There's no way DSJr will beat Payton out of the starter PG position, unless Fizdale repeat his erratic rotation changes for another 17 win season.
Plus DSJr has a lot of improvements to make to his entire performance in the off-season to be a 18 minute rotation player off the bench.
Payton & Ellington should be our starter guards, and Frank & Dotson should be their backups.

About frank first day and the two training sessions in Fiba:

"Fight and hussle"
"Can guard every player and be everywhere on the court on defense"
"Stronger than ever"
"Aggressive"
"Control all the court"