The Knicks Process: Where do we go from here?

jimkcchief88

All Star
Though the NBA draft is yet a few days on the horizon, a lot has happened in the few days to effect the Knicks rebuilding process. So let's review.

1. Our dreams of obtaining the number one pick, Zion Williamson, went up in smoke. I mean we only had a 14% chance anyway, but after what us Knicks fans have been through over the past two decades, we at least could dream about it. So we end up with the number 3 pick. Not what we wanted, but unless we trade down, its looking like RJ Barrett. I guess that will be a nice consolation prize. We will tell ourselves that coming out of high school that RJ was actually ranked HIGHER than Zion. But that is just rubbing salve on the wound don't you think.

2. Durant is now out for at least a year after tearing his achilles. Gulp!!!! This is a killer folks. Chalk this up to more Knicks jinx, snake-bitten, bad luck, and any other synonyms you want to put on this. For once we have a bona fide star that wants to come here in his prime. We don't have to empty the cupboard like we did for Melo because KD is a free agent. We have the $$$$. Then this. All I can say is um um um figures just our luck. Some will be in the camp of sign KD anyway. I am not in that camp. Being a KC Chiefs fan, I have seen what this injury does to a players career first hand in Eric Berry. EB beat cancer and came back to All-Pro NFL level, but the achilles did him in. To the point where the Chiefs released Eric Berry, taking a huge cap hit in the process, and EB to this point is still a free agent. My last glimpse of EB in a Chiefs uniform is him getting burned by now retired GRONK in the AFC Championship game. We were one play away from the Superbowl, and our former All Pro, Eric Berry, couldn't make it after that achilles injury. Plus, after this injury, Durant is going to want to secure his future. I get that. But we have been down this road before with Antonio McDyess and STAT. Lets not make those mistakes again.

3. Anthony Davis has signed with the Lakers. Word on the street is the Lakers didn't like the young talent we had to offer. This is a double whammy because that also lets you know where you are in the process. We now know for sure the now that the Knits is a bust because no one wants him. Thanks Fail-Jackson. In one sense I'm happy because AD wouldn't have improved our fortunes enough and we can keep what young talent we have. But it looks like our young talent isn't worth too much, at least according to the Lakers.

So where are we now? Assuming we pick RJ with our 3rd pick, where does that leave us? A bunch of young talent with question marks and a lot of $$$ to waste/ spend? Your thoughts?

mafra

Legend
We know we are getting Zion, Ja, or RJ. Any talk about trading down or out ended when KD ruptured his Achilles.

If you read what the tax bill will be if GSW re-sign both KD and KT, then you understand why that ain?t likely to happen.

So, I think NYK Hans KD a max and he takes it. I doubt he opts in, personally, b/c a max is better than just 30 mil. Hey, you never know.

Laker situation makes it tough, b/c trade can?t go down for a bit... NY won?t know if AD signs an extension before free agency begins... but they have to operate as if he will. LA, LeBron and cap space means AD ain?t bolting.

So... I go hard after Kawhi and pray. I pursue Kemba / Kyrie as plan-B. I wouldn?t go bonkers for either free agent PG, unless KD orders me too.

So, assuming we get KD and nothing else...

Next year free agency doesn?t impress me much... so, I wouldn?t wait another year and preserve cap space.

Where does this leave NY?

I think RJ is a 2. Knox a 3.

DSJ appears to be our PG and MRob our center.

Obviously, the hole here is stretch 4. Where to find a partner in the post for Mitch? Sign Randle? Trade for Favors? Draft Taco? Go Morris route?

I like Morris as a culture grit guy. Can knock down a 3. Randle is a lottery ticket, so he?s on my radar.

Then, we need to decide what to we need? Shooting? A PG? A real SF?

We may have moved past Knits but we ain?t gone with Knox and DSJ.

Ergo:

DSJ, RJ, Knox, Mitch

Trier, Dotson

KD out a season.

Do we sign a legit starter? Go for roll the dice guys? I have to believe the Morris, Danny Green type role players will latch on to winning teams, not us.

So, if you don?t want to sign a Randall or Russell... do you swallow bad contracts for future assets? Take a overpriced vet for future picks?

It all depends on KD...

I?m in the minority, but I could live with a season of watching RJ, MRob, DSJ, Knox, Trier, Dotson, and Ntilikina on our way to another lottery pick. If we have Durant waiting in the wings, even better. Our front office is trying to get us out from under two decades of mismanagement. It?s going to take time. 6 1st round picks in 4 years will help. PJax pissing away what would have been an early 2nd round pick this draft is a real bummer.

mafra

Legend
I agree. Build this the right way and let the kids learn on the fly, and grow together.

One way to look at it is that this rebuild is nearly complete, now it?s up to coaching and the players.

DSJ-RJ-Knox-Mitch and the rest should be fun. I would look to sign a savvy vet to help guide them along... but maybe KD can be that even without playing.

mafra

Legend
1 potential hiccup, if you?re rooting hard for RJ:

The Pelicans could still have a hand in the Knicks? future.

Following the Anthony Davis trade with the Lakers, New Orleans holds the fourth pick in Thursday?s draft and is exploring all sorts of options.

According to an NBA source, New Orleans has explored moving back to gain more assets and also had internal talks about moving up to the second pick to take Memphis? selection and draft RJ Barrett to team with his Duke compadre Zion Williamson. Barrett and Williamson are best friends.

That trade-up maneuver, however unlikely, would allow Murray State?s Ja Morant to fall to the Knicks at No. 3. The Knicks had Morant higher on their board than Barrett at the Chicago combine, but that also was before Morant recently underwent knee surgery.

Interesting. I could see Griff being that aggressive to get RJ now that it isn?t part of an AD trade.

Just read a blurb online that said Perry is ?delighted? to draft either RJ or Ja Morant. I kind of feel the same way. Ja and DSJ don?t fit together on paper, but other teams have shown that you can never have too many ballhandlers, only too few.

mafra

Legend
What people are underestimating is their competitiveness. Both players possess that coach-ability and professionalism required from your star player, to establish the winning locker room
environment. They hate losing. They work hard. That want to win. They hate losing. They want to rip your throat out on the court.

Most players at this level have skill and talent but it?s the will that separates the greats from the flock.

We can?t go wrong either way... but, from a roster and NYC fit... RJ all the way, even if Ja has more upside bc of his athleticism.

Not sure what NO would have to surrender to get to 2... I imagine it starts with Ball or Hart plus multiple picks.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I?m in the minority, but I could live with a season of watching RJ, MRob, DSJ, Knox, Trier, Dotson, and Ntilikina on our way to another lottery pick. If we have Durant waiting in the wings, even better. Our front office is trying to get us out from under two decades of mismanagement. It?s going to take time. 6 1st round picks in 4 years will help. PJax pissing away what would have been an early 2nd round pick this draft is a real bummer.

The stench of Fail-Jackson lingers has to be none of the worst missteps in sports history hiring him as GM/Team President:(. Really continue the process don?t commit to anything until the young core develops together be in it for the long haul now...

tiger0330

Legend
We’ll see what happens with the Lakers but I’m envious of how they have reshaped the roster with LeBron and AD. Instantly turned around the odds of them winning a ring with them now a 3-1 favorite to win it all next season.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Idiotic article on NY Daily News says we should absorb CP3, to help groom DSJ. Even if we can only fetch 1 first rounder. They cited the 4 first rounders HOU offered to Minny for Butler as another option.

He?ll NO! Not even if they tossed in Capela.

I mean, if everybody (even KD) rejects Ny and HOU offers 4 first rounders and a young player.... maybe I consider it then.

tiger0330

Legend
Idiotic article on NY Daily News says we should absorb CP3, to help groom DSJ. Even if we can only fetch 1 first rounder. They cited the 4 first rounders HOU offered to Minny for Butler as another option.

He’ll NO! Not even if they tossed in Capela.

I mean, if everybody (even KD) rejects Ny and HOU offers 4 first rounders and a young player.... maybe I consider it then.
CP3 coming to NY ain’t ever going to happen, thank heaven but the news that Al Horford is opting out which may spur the Celts to trade for Capela is interesting. Would the Knicks be interested in Al, anybody see a fit for Al in NY.

CP3 coming to NY ain?t ever going to happen, thank heaven but the news that Al Horford is opting out which may spur the Celts to trade for Capela is interesting. Would the Knicks be interested in Al, anybody see a fit for Al in NY.

I don?t think Horford would come here, but even if he did want to come here, I?d rather stick with DeAndre Jordan if we are going to sign a veteran big man. DJ is a few years younger and paid his dues with his us last year, even when he could have asked to be given the chance to go to a contender. DJ is still an elite rebounder and defender.

mafra

Legend
Tim Legler on Garland and RJ.... he coached Garland at some all star event... says Garland is a freakish athletes, blazing speed with nasty handle and rains deep 3s.... Says RJ a win... talented... but there are 50 other RJ types in NBA.

Man, Barrett gets zero respect. They underestimate what I love best from RJ... Barrett is Kobe-MJ type of competitor... and he?s an iron man.

Garland, Ja, Zion... all injured guys.

Now, if you love Garland... and bc he?s a PG... then trade back with NO and get their first next season (lottery pick).

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
My question is, we are all talking about RJ, but it looks like there is a chance we get JA instead if they Selected RJ second, so why nobody is talking about JA, is it a possibility? is he good?

My question is, we are all talking about RJ, but it looks like there is a chance we get JA instead if they Selected RJ second, so why nobody is talking about JA, is it a possibility? is he good?

Ja Morant is awesome. Most teams prefer Ja over RJ. Problem for us is that Ja and DSJ probably aren?t a good fit. From the jump, Memphis has said they are taking Ja Morant. I still believe that is what they are going to do and we end up with RJ.

mafra

Legend
Sounds like Ja and Garland are about equal, in terms of prospect status. Ja has the edge b/c DG missed entire year.... but if I were MEM (and Garland is from Sout Carolina and attended Vandy).... I may prefer trading down from 2 to 4, grab an asset and get DG.

Sounds like Ja and Garland are about equal, in terms of prospect status. Ja has the edge b/c DG missed entire year.... but if I were MEM (and Garland is from Sout Carolina and attended Vandy).... I may prefer trading down from 2 to 4, grab an asset and get DG.

Hmm. Both elite talents. Ja seems like a proven facilitator and scorer while Garland seems like more of a scorer (more turnovers than assists in the few college games he did play).

Interesting thing is that Knicks at 3, Pelicans at 4, and Cleveland at 5 might not want to go PG given their current roster. Suns would probably love Garland at 6. Definitely room to trade down.

That said, I think Memphis plays it safe and takes Ja Morant.

mafra

Legend
For sure, Ja a much better facilitator but Garland may be the best shooter in the draft... And NBA loves those Curry and Trae Young gunners.