The Knicks Process: Where do we go from here?

Kiyaman

Legend
Those are all good targets, but not sure how it fits with Perry saying he didn’t want to give big contracts to 2nd tier free agents. I like the idea of bringing in Randle, because, as mafra has previously posted, his age and position fit our needs and timeline.

FA Randle or FA Portis, plus Vonleh are a must sign to develop MitchRob in lineups having a decent PF to tandem & switch in the front-court. Plus our center DJ's a must resign to help develop our young-core guards in several half-court offensive-plays in the upcoming season.

The week before July 1st. .. I expect all our TANK-TANK 17 win season front-office CEO (Dolans/Mills/Perry/and Fizdale) to be on their phone everyday calling to get the Knicks one of the NBA top-10 available guards in the off-season for the Knicks starting lineup next season.

To me .. Klay Thomas is the best 2-Way FA guard on the table, and Chris Paul is the best play-making PG leader available in trade.
Our front-office off-season decision making has been 30/70 under our past 3 GM, I'm sure Dolan/Mills would give FA Butler or Kyrie or Kemba a 4 yr Max salary, when the Knicks guard-rotation really need FA Patrick Beverley play-making skills to improve our young-core guards performance throughout the season.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
According to The Undefeated's Marc J. Spears, the Knicks have shown some interest in Tobias Harris and Nikola Vucevic, both players that have ties to Perry during his time with the Magic.

"Our plan wasn't to create $70 million in room to go after free agents this summer," Mills explained. "Our plan was to organically build this team through teamwork, drafting well, getting high-character guys that want to compete. The [salary cap] space was a byproduct of that. If the right guys are there for us, great, because we still have all the young pieces and draft picks to move forward.

"And if they're not, we're going to keep building our plan, drafting our guys, playing well and potentially being trade partners. We feel really good about where we are going."

https://theundefeated.com/features/is-the-knicks-change-in-culture-working/

Other free agents on the Knicks? radar include their own free-agent center DeAndre Jordan, Warriors center DeMarcus Cousins and twins Markieff and Marcus Morris. New Orleans Pelicans forward Julius Randle and the Knicks also have mutual interest, according to sources.

?We are going to have the opportunity to meet with the guys we want to meet with,? Mills said without offering details or confirming names.

Paul1355

All Star
According to The Undefeated's Marc J. Spears, the Knicks have shown some interest in Tobias Harris and Nikola Vucevic, both players that have ties to Perry during his time with the Magic.

"Our plan wasn't to create $70 million in room to go after free agents this summer," Mills explained. "Our plan was to organically build this team through teamwork, drafting well, getting high-character guys that want to compete. The [salary cap] space was a byproduct of that. If the right guys are there for us, great, because we still have all the young pieces and draft picks to move forward.

"And if they're not, we're going to keep building our plan, drafting our guys, playing well and potentially being trade partners. We feel really good about where we are going."

https://theundefeated.com/features/is-the-knicks-change-in-culture-working/

Other free agents on the Knicks? radar include their own free-agent center DeAndre Jordan, Warriors center DeMarcus Cousins and twins Markieff and Marcus Morris. New Orleans Pelicans forward Julius Randle and the Knicks also have mutual interest, according to sources.

?We are going to have the opportunity to meet with the guys we want to meet with,? Mills said without offering details or confirming names.

Good find, don?t settle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul1355

All Star
Whatever it takes, if a largely African American front office attracts players here then the Knicks should have no problems attracting talent this off season. We have the money to spend, African American front office, one of the best arena's and cities in the NBA to play in. If we strike out in FA or if KD and KI wind up with the Nets we should fire Mills and Perry on the spot.

The one white guy might be the elephant in the room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mafra

Legend
Either Dolan fires Mills, Perry and Fiz or fans will force him to sell.

Sign Julius Randle and absorb some guys for assets/picks.

Focus on being better than Nets next season and start changing the narrative.

DSJ
RJ
Knox
Randle
MRob

mafra

Legend
That?s our team, folks. I bet we sign a shooter or a vet PG... maybe absorb a contract....

G: DSJ, Knits, Trier, Dotson
Wings: RJ, Knox, Iggy, Wilks
Bigs: Mitch, Randle, Portis, Taj

Add a Bullock Or Beverly... maybe?

Is this a team battling for 8th seed? A team with a bright future?

jimkcchief88

All Star
That?s our team, folks. I bet we sign a shooter or a vet PG... maybe absorb a contract....

G: DSJ, Knits, Trier, Dotson
Wings: RJ, Knox, Iggy, Wilks
Bigs: Mitch, Randle, Portis, Taj

Add a Bullock Or Beverly... maybe?

Is this a team battling for 8th seed? A team with a bright future?

Honestly it?s a very dark day to be a Knicks fan. They sold us a bill of goods and we bought it. We were sold Zion, KD, and Kyrie and got Julius Randle and some throw in scrap metal. And you better not say that to Bobby Portis face or he will punch the crap out of you. To the factor that Mirotich is going back to Europe so he don?t have to deal with black people no more. This has always been the danger of ?tanking.? You throw away seasons only to miss on free agents and draft picks. ?The Process? just got a whole lot longer guys. This is a rudderless ship fellas. Back to square one:(.

mafra

Legend
Lol.... Amen!

A monumental loss for the franchise. The minute KP tore his ACL a year and half ago, the Knicks and Mills focused everything on yesterday... and they came up empty.

Heck, even MIA got one of the big max guys (Butler).

KD and KI both left good spots and came to NY, but chose Nets instead. Brutal.

Now, Knicks only hope is RJ is a real stud and both DSJ/Randle are all star caliber players. And, come one, what?s the odds even 1 of those 3 things occur?

Anyway, the good news is: this team is definitely better for this upcoming season... Randle, Portis, Taj, Bullock means Knicks are much better than if we had KI and KD. Durant isnt playing next year.... so, at least there?s that.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Honestly it?s a very dark day to be a Knicks fan. They sold us a bill of goods and we bought it. We were sold Zion, KD, and Kyrie and got Julius Randle and some throw in scrap metal. And you better not say that to Bobby Portis face or he will punch the crap out of you. To the factor that Mirotich is going back to Europe so he don?t have to deal with black people no more. This has always been the danger of ?tanking.? You throw away seasons only to miss on free agents and draft picks. ?The Process? just got a whole lot longer guys. This is a rudderless ship fellas. Back to square one:(.

I completely disagree. The moment Durant got injured was the moment we should have forgotten about him. He'll come back and be good, but how good? Good enough to be paid 35 million for not playing? When get gets back only time will tell how good he will be, but I suspect he wont live up to his contract. Same goes for Irving. He's a headcase. How good were the Celtics this year?

All of these coming to the Knicks stories were manufactured by the media. NY media is a joke! No better than Fox News or CNN. If the Knicks got them both what do you think the narrative would have been, NY Signs to overpriced injury prone players!?

Short term deals are a positive sign and there's enough scoring power and athleticism for them to be fairly competitive. I'm encouraged by the Knicks not falling for big names.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I completely disagree. The moment Durant got injured was the moment we should have forgotten about him. He'll come back and be good, but how good? Good enough to be paid 35 million for not playing? When get gets back only time will tell how good he will be, but I suspect he wont live up to his contract. Same goes for Irving. He's a headcase. How good were the Celtics this year?

All of these coming to the Knicks stories were manufactured by the media. NY media is a joke! No better than Fox News or CNN. If the Knicks got them both what do you think the narrative would have been, NY Signs to overpriced injury prone players!?

Short term deals are a positive sign and there's enough scoring power and athleticism for them to be fairly competitive. I'm encouraged by the Knicks not falling for big names.

Good to have you back Donchris. It?s like long lost family we all meet up and catch up at a funeral. I agree with you that Durant should have been off our list after the injury. Check my posts on that. But like Mafra said above, we missed on EVERYBODY! Even the Heat got JimmyBuckets! We came away with nothing. One starting power forward, two back up power forwards, and a journeyman guard. Awful. Is this team better than last year? We will see. Like you said at least they are on short term deals. And did we even get a meeting with ?The Claw? or did he just say thanks but no thanks. You dang right Mills owed us an apology and a resignation should have followed quickly. That type crap has failed this franchise for years. No accountability. And Melo got vilified for actually WANTING to play in MSG for our Knicks?

mafra

Legend
Good to have you back Donchris. It?s like long lost family we all meet up and catch up at a funeral. I agree with you that Durant should have been off our list after the injury. Check my posts on that. But like Mafra said above, we missed on EVERYBODY! Even the Heat got JimmyBuckets! We came away with nothing. One starting power forward, two back up power forwards, and a journeyman guard. Awful. Is this team better than last year? We will see. Like you said at least they are on short term deals. And did we even get a meeting with ?The Claw? or did he just say thanks but no thanks. You dang right Mills owed us an apology and a resignation should have followed quickly. That type crap has failed this franchise for years. No accountability. And Melo got vilified for actually WANTING to play in MSG for our Knicks?

Amen! Preach it!

Again, we may be on the right path but that?s only bc we are freaking due and by accident we backed into a good situation.

Then again, we could be sitting here with just RJ and Mitch in 3 years, tons of cap space, no stars, having missed playoffs for 9?consecutive years... with no hope as the 2020 decades unfurls into the 2030s.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Amen! Preach it!

Again, we may be on the right path but that?s only bc we are freaking due and by accident we backed into a good situation.

Then again, we could be sitting here with just RJ and Mitch in 3 years, tons of cap space, no stars, having missed playoffs for 9?consecutive years... with no hope as the 2020 decades unfurls into the 2030s.

Yup that?s the unfortunate flip side to your earlier post. I feel like we may be better this season but by how much. Here is the updated Knicks wins over/under for the upcoming season: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.actionnetwork.com/nba/nba-win-totals-byetting-odds-2019-2020

That?s right 28.5 wins. That?s behind the Bulls, Pelicans, Timberwolves, Kings, and Hawks. Right now we are tracking to be right back in the lottery again with 6-9 pick. Right where we screwed the pooch two years ago with Frank. We are in NBA pergatory people:(

Yup that?s the unfortunate flip side to your earlier post. I feel like we may be better this season but by how much. Here is the updated Knicks wins over/under for the upcoming season: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.actionnetwork.com/nba/nba-win-totals-byetting-odds-2019-2020

That?s right 28.5 wins. That?s behind the Bulls, Pelicans, Timberwolves, Kings, and Hawks. Right now we are tracking to be right back in the lottery again with 6-9 pick. Right where we screwed the pooch two years ago with Frank. We are in NBA pergatory people:(

Well, if it makes you feel better, we almost always underperform season win projections, plus with the new lottery system, a top 5 pick could still be in the cards.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Well, if it makes you feel better, we almost always underperform season win projections, plus with the new lottery system, a top 5 pick could still be in the cards.

True that:) My link didn?t work but check it out fellas. Back to the lottery we go:(.

tiger0330

Legend
If last season is our guide it's going to take 1/2 season before Fizdale figures out what to do with the lineup. Will he play the young guys esp RJ to hasten their development or the guys we just signed? I'd like to see the Knicks get off to a fast start and I think we have the best chance with a starting 5 of Payton, Bullock, MRob, Randle and I'm hoping RJ shows enough in the pre-season to win the job of our starting SG.

Last edited:

donchris

Next season, keep waiting

Like family catching up at a funeral. So true :(
IMO, this was really a two or three man free agency, in terms of impact for bad teams. Durant, when healthy could change things. Kawhi could change things. Kyrie lost stock and fan confidence in Boston and Durant got hurt. The ultimate prize is really Kawhi, but we didn't have a shot at him. So the best use of this cap space, regardless of what crying man, Jordan, ah, Stephen A Smith says is getting depth and all things considered, we got depth.

Jimmy Dolan is an easy target, but this one's really his fault. He raised expectations for the media to raise expectations for us getting another big name.

I think the Knicks did a great job. Resisting the pressure to trade everybody for AD and to sign an injured player to a max deal. This is a rebuild, not a quick fix. Everybody wants instant championships, nobody wants to actually put in the work. We've signed guys who actually want to be here and are not scared of the spotlight. NY has always been a bargaining chip/threat to get other teams to acquiesce.

mafra

Legend
I think we really need to see DSJ explode this season, ala D-Russell.

Look, we know KP will resemble an MVP Oct-Dec.... the laughter and derisive jeers will continue to rain on us NYK fans from the national media....

We also know KP will turn into a pumpkin, when rigors of season catch up... and he?ll be meh after Jan...

None of that will matter, to us fans, if Dennis?s Smith Jr becomes an offensive dynamo. It would certainly soften the blow...

I think we really need to see DSJ explode this season, ala D-Russell.

Look, we know KP will resemble an MVP Oct-Dec.... the laughter and derisive jeers will continue to rain on us NYK fans from the national media....

We also know KP will turn into a pumpkin, when rigors of season catch up... and he?ll be meh after Jan...

None of that will matter, to us fans, if Dennis?s Smith Jr becomes an offensive dynamo. It would certainly soften the blow...

Fizdale needs to make sure DSJ gets his chance. The addition of Payton makes me wonder whether this is going to happen or not. At the same time, if Payton turns a corner this season, maybe he is the guy to back at only 25-years-old.

Good news is that we have both guys under control for 2 seasons with a team option in 2020-21. Don?t have to rush to judgment like we sort of did with Mudiay. Sad reality is that Mudiay could have ended up being the best of the 3.