Pick acquired via trade with Portland
27-57Pelicans
Pick acquired via trade with Denver
28-58Warriors
29-59Raptors
30-60Kings
Pick acquired via trade with Milwaukee

Thanks, Rady.

A little over 24 hours until maybe some fireworks with some draft night trades from other teams.

Top 3 seems locked. Zion, Ja, and then RJ to us. Very likely RJ will be a Knick for a long time since now that AD is traded, no other place to ship him seems relevant.

RJ may be the happiest guy to get drafted by the Knicks in years. Clearly wants to be here and he will have a chance to put up big numbers in big minutes probably from the jump.

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks, Rady.

A little over 24 hours until maybe some fireworks with some draft night trades from other teams.

Top 3 seems locked. Zion, Ja, and then RJ to us. Very likely RJ will be a Knick for a long time since now that AD is traded, no other place to ship him seems relevant.

RJ may be the happiest guy to get drafted by the Knicks in years. Clearly wants to be here and he will have a chance to put up big numbers in big minutes probably from the jump.

Potentially big minutes. Fizdale has shown the willingness to play his rookies in starting roles, downside is if RJ does start we probably shot a blank in FA. We hope RJ shows star potential like Doncic, DM and Trae from the jump.

mafra

Legend
Ian Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

If the Knicks draft him, RJ Barrett knows he'd be responsible for helping turn around a franchise that has won just one playoff series in the last 19 years. And he's OK with that.

"I feel like that would be a challenge that I'm willing to accept," Barrett said on Wednesday at the NBA's media availability for projected lottery picks.

The Knicks have met with Ja Morant and Cam Reddish, and worked out Darius Garland and Jarrett Culver. But the consensus among opposing execs is that they will take Barrett at No. 3 if they hold on to the pick. It's hard to say how likely a trade down is, but it would make sense for the Knicks to listen to offers until they are ready to make a pick.

Barrett reiterated on Wednesday that he wants to play in New York.

"It would mean a lot," Barrett said when asked about being drafted by the Knicks. "My late grandfather, rest in peace, he was the biggest Knicks fan. He always told me I'd play for the Knicks. So it would mean a lot for me to play for the team."

Barrett said his meetings and workout with the Knicks last week went well. He was asked why he felt he'd be built for New York.

"I can't say much more than just you see how I am and what I've done so far in my career," he said. "I feel like I accept the challenge. And I'm really going to give it everything I've got."

The 6-foot-7 forward averaged 22.6 points, 4.3 assists and 7.6 rebounds as a freshman -- the first player in NCAA history to have at least 850 points, 250 rebounds and 150 assists in a season. He said his game has improved significantly since the draft. Scouts and evaluators have wondered about Barrett's shot and ability to get by defenders on the perimeter.

"You don't even know. I've been working so hard everyday. I've gotten a lot better," he said. "And I'm really excited and happy where I am right now."

Barrett added that he'd have no problem playing for any other team than the Knicks if they drafted him, and that his goal is solely to make the NBA. But it's worth noting that he decided against working out for the Grizzlies ahead of the NBA Draft.

"My agent (Bill Duffy) and I and my parents we just decided not to," he said. "Not really anything wrong with Memphis. New York is just more where I wanted to be."

Here is Barrett on a few other topics...

The Knicks roster: "I played against Kevin Knox a lot growing up so we know each other. Allonzo Trier. Playing with Mitchell Robinson would be exciting. Really everybody on the roster."

Playing at The Garden: "It would be great. I played there once and it was such a crazy environment. The lights are really bright there. Everything is great there so we'll see."

On why he's been so vocal about wanting to play in New York: "I'm not ashamed. I'm not scared or worried. If it doesn't work out that way, I'm not going to cry about it."

On the possibility of playing with Zion Williamson: "That's exciting. I don't care where I go. If I play with him, I'm playing with my best friend there. If I play in New York, The Mecca, it feels like home to me."

On if the situation with Kristaps Porzingis requesting a trade - or the Knicks' recent struggles on the court - gave him any pause about wanting to play here: "No, what I always say is to each his own. Everybody has a different trajectory or path in life. I feel like wherever I go that's going to be the place for me."

On handling the New York media: "It's just media. I'm fine with it. I've dealt with a lot of media and I know the New York media different, for sure. But I'm smart, I'll be fine. I'll be good."

mafra

Legend
Zion Williamson won?t be a Knick barring stunning upheaval at the top of Thursday night?s NBA draft, but the Duke phenom is certain they won?t be disappointed if they select his close friend and one-and-done former college teammate RJ Barrett.

?He?s cold-blooded,? the almost-certain No. 1 pick said on Wednesday at the Grand Hyatt in Midtown. ?We?ve all seen it this year. Assassin.?

Barrett hasn?t hid his hopes that the Knicks take him with the third pick, saying he was ?built? to play in New York and would ?love? to be a Knick. And Williamson has no doubts he can handle the intense scrutiny that would follow.

?New York, I?ve heard how hostile New York can be with the players. But I think R.J. is ready for it,? he said. ?They?ll get a great player [if they take him]. ? If RJ gets drafted by New York, he?ll handle it. Not just good, but great. Better than people expect. He?s built for people doubting him, telling him he?s not ready. I don?t doubt RJ in the slightest.?

Read online that Pelicans are putting together assets to trade to the #2 pick to grab RJ Barrett. That would leave us with Ja Morant and allow Memphis to get Darius Garland at #4. Seems like a very realistic possibility.

tiger0330

Legend
I think that would be a first, a team getting the top two picks in the draft. Funny, just read an article that said the Pels have a decision to make about what to do with the 4th pick, trade for an established player, keep it, or trade down for multiple picks. They don’t mention trading up as something they should do. Knicks were reported to have Ja rated slightly higher on their board than RJ so it may not be a bad thing that Ja drops to us as long as we can move someone in that crowded backcourt for a decent asset.

I think that would be a first, a team getting the top two picks in the draft. Funny, just read an article that said the Pels have a decision to make about what to do with the 4th pick, trade for an established player, keep it, or trade down for multiple picks. They don?t mention trading up as something they should do. Knicks were reported to have Ja rated slightly higher on their board than RJ so it may not be a bad thing that Ja drops to us as long as we can move someone in that crowded backcourt for a decent asset.

Peter Vecsey reported Pelicans looking to trade up to #2 this morning. Seems reasonable enough to be true. We?re in a good place though getting RJ or Ja. I just don?t know what we do with DSJ if we get Ja.

Things seem so simple for tonight. Draft RJ Barrett and then make another pick late in the 2nd round. Maybe trade back into the late 1st round or 2nd round. Yet, as a Knick fan, I am somehow expecting something bad to happen to us tonight.

Knicks looking to buy a 2nd round pick, which is generally doable. Knicks also reportedly looking for a 2nd round pick in exchange for Ntilikina, which could be doable, but teams might not want his cap hit.

Hawks trade the 8th, 17th, and 35th picks to the Pelicans for the #4 pick. Looks like Atlanta has its eyes on Hunter. Pelicans also get a heavily protected 1st round pick in 2020 that was originally Cleveland?s.

We are safe, I think. Pelicans trading up to #2 to get RJ was the one thing that seemed possible to stop us from getting him.

So far, Griff has turned AD into 5 1st round picks (although some of them are mid to late) and 2 relatively recent top lottery picks. He did his job get assets.

TWolves have traded 11th pick and Saric to the Suns to move up to the 6th pick. Sounds like Atlanta outbid them for #4.

Draft order is now:
1. Pelicans - Zion
2. Memphis - Ja?
3. Knicks - RJ?
4. Atlanta - Hunter?
5. Cleveland - no idea, probably not Garland with Sexton there. Culver I guess?
6. Minnesota - Garland?

tiger0330

Legend
Hawks trade the 8th, 17th, and 35th picks to the Pelicans for the #4 pick. Looks like Atlanta has its eyes on Hunter. Pelicans also get a heavily protected 1st round pick in 2020 that was originally Cleveland?s.

We are safe, I think. Pelicans trading up to #2 to get RJ was the one thing that seemed possible to stop us from getting him.
So the Pels traded down, I?d expect we may see a deal for a player with the picks the Pels acquired.

tiger0330

Legend
These 3 seem etched in stone.

1. ZION
2. Ja
3. RJ

Atlanta has to be be picking a wing like Hunter at 4. Bilas has Coby White going at 5.

RJ Barrett got a huge cheer from the Brooklyn crowd when introduced pre-draft, even bigger than Zion.

No doubt to me that RJ joins the Knicks as their most hyped draft pick since Ewing.