The official 2019 NBA Draft thread

Holy cow. They just broke it down on ESPN and it would cost 1.6 billion over the next 4 seasons to keep the Golden State Warriors intact with resigning KD and Klay. KD doing their owner a favor by leaving.

Somebody talking about his partying ways and question his commitment to the game.

What a dumbass. Hide your partying until you make some money first. Dallas should draft him and him and KP can go bar hopping together and fight guys 2 feet shorter than them.

tiger0330

Legend
Holy cow. They just broke it down on ESPN and it would cost 1.6 billion over the next 4 seasons to keep the Golden State Warriors intact with resigning KD and Klay. KD doing their owner a favor by leaving.
I posted that in the KD thread. Supposedly that new building can pay for some of it and those tech billionaires can afford their expensive hobbies out there.

Kevin Porter Jr goes to the Bucks at the 30th pick who is trading him to Cleveland. And that?s it for the 1st round.

This crowd in Brooklyn is the worst at this point. You?d think Adam Silver was announcing that they were doubling the price of beer.

tiger0330

Legend
I'm drawing the line here as to what would be an acceptable return for Ntilikina. Might as well keep him if we can't get better than right where we should have picked in the second round.

I'm drawing the line here as to what would be an acceptable return for Ntilikina. Might as well keep him if we can't get better than right where we should have picked in the second round.

I think you may have said it before. His cap hit is so high disproportionate to his current value that it?s almost as if we would have to send out a pick instead of receive one to trade him. Might as well keep him and play him this year. Fizdale and the front office has really done a hell of a job alienating him though.

Bol Bol has left the green room still undrafted. Speculation online is that something really terrible was uncovered in his medical evaluations.

tiger0330

Legend
I think you may have said it before. His cap hit is so high disproportionate to his current value that it’s almost as if we would have to send out a pick instead of receive one to trade him. Might as well keep him and play him this year. Fizdale and the front office has really done a hell of a job alienating him though.
He hasn't set foot in the Knicks facility in the off-season. Went back to France and lately is training with some guy in Dallas. Can't blame him, the guy didn’t improve one iota with that Knicks coaching staff. Eisley won't be back and Mike Miller becomes the player development assistant so that's got to help the young guys I hope.

mafra

Legend
Gritty gutty proven floor general, who can shoot and hit big shots. Could always use shooters... Let?s see what he can make of his opportunity.

mafra

Legend
"That was great," Barrett said. "I'm glad that the city wants me here as much as I want to be here."

"That was one of the reasons why I was crying because we (referring to his grandfather) used to watch the Knicks growing up and he used to tell me I was going to be a Knick," he said. "It's sad he can't be here to see it but I'm just very happy."

"Playing basketball is not pressure," he said. "This is what I love to do."

And his message to the fans?

"New Yorkers," he said. "I'm here, I love you, let's get back to that championship way."

mafra

Legend
Sources confirmed to SNY Insider Ian Begley that the Knicks sent the 55th-overall pick and cash considerations to the Kings in order to move up.

Listed at 6-foot-7, 220 pounds, Brazdeikis played one season at Michigan. With the Wolverines, Brazdeikis averaged 14.8 points, 5.4 rebounds and 0.5 blocks per game.

He could do a little bit of everything for the Wolverines, as he shot 39.2 percent from the beyond the arc and was also a 77 percent free throw shooter.

He led the Wolverines in scoring as a freshman, an impressive feat considering first-round pick Jordan Poole was also on the roster, and was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year as well as second team All-Big Ten.

Nicknamed "Iggy", Brazdeikis was born in Lithuania, Brazdeikis was raised in Canada. Brazdeikis played alongside fellow Knicks draft pick RJ Barrett for Canada in 2016 during U-17 World Cup.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Apparently we traded money to the Kings to move up

So Kyle Guy is going to the Kings and we're getting Ignas Brazdeikis from Michigan. SF who went one-and-done at Michigan. Apparently he's a good shooter and competitor but lacks elite athleticism and length. Which is OK - not many elite athletes last into the 2nd round of the draft. Good thing is though that these guys might both be able to contribute immediately. Brazdeikis is a shooter and RJ is RJ

mafra

Legend
I did find it odd they took a PG, when it was being reported that PF was the big need they sought to fill in the second round.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I did find it odd they took a PG, when it was being reported that PF was the big need they sought to fill in the second round.

Yeah odds are they worked out that deal beforehand. I'm betting that when the Kings took Ignas, Scott Perry called them made the deal that, if Kyle Guy fell to them, they'd take Guy and trade him to the Kings. A lot of these deals are worked out during the draft but they don't become official until afterwards since neither team knows who's going to be available

mafra

Legend
Post Draft Afterthought:

We were forced to envision this very night, on the eve of summer solstice, ever since KP tore his ACL vs MIl on 2-6-18... think about that....?

16.5 months ago... the journey to here, this spot, it began...

the Knicks (and their fan base) were placed in a timeout, yes, held in detention, relegated to the bench, banished as inconsequential, I prisoner in NBA purgatory.

After 17 years of mostly dysfunction and uninspiring basketball, just as a glimmer of hope flickered into the drab, dismal KnickerDolanBocker environment... Boom! The dream of KP and the 2 Max twins being a Broadway hit went POOF up in smoke, obliterated in a brilliant meteoric flash leaving us slathered with some phantasmagorical goop.

OK. We?ve been granitized by shame and hardship. Eddy Curry and the Isaiah Mrs Brown scandal. PJ: the snore heard round the world. Oakley.

We quickly regroup. Well, this is like when David Robertson stumbled into Duncan. Nobody beating GSW anyway... so we tank and... what more could we do, or hope for?

KP suddenly rebels and wants out...

Darn! But we?ll get Zion and KD!

No Zion!
KD raptures Achilles.
Kyrie wants Nets.

34 years without moving up in the lottery. It?s only happened to NYK once since it?s inception, nearly a 1/3 of a century ago.

But we get 1 of the top 3... And have had some things go right for the new regime of Mills, Fiz, and Perry.

RJ and the Lithuanian mule!

DSJ running the offense.
RJ the SG point-forward Maple Mamba.
Knox with spurts of offense on the wing.
The Lithuanian or the Kornet stretch-4
MRob defending rim and the perimeter.

Trier 6th man instant offense.
Knits the defensive guard.
Dotson the 2-way mystery lottery ticket.

You can see how these young kids are the complete team of our management?s vision.

Dream scenario:

Sign KD and/or Kawahi (or Kyrie) and have those 2 max guys lead this group.

We got a potential franchise cornerstone tonight, but as we know for every step forward, a half yard back you go. KD out all next season. Maybe that?s another blessing? Force us to follow the plan. 1 more talent.

KD returns. We have assets to make deals... we have a young nucleus!

In 3 years, May of 2022... Knicks in ECF... Lakers failed, LBJ done, AD alone in LaLa land. Zion is great but has no help, and now is close to free agency (and rumblings are he wants to join his college buddy in the big apple).

KD is still a junkyard dog, in the midst of his second dominant year with the team.

RJ-DSJ-MRob are filthy, young rising stars....

Announcer says, ?Imagine how NBA changes if Griff opts for door #2, takes the NYK package, and Zion is playing with this wealth of talent from NY, and AD is playing with super KD at MSG.

Anyway, that?s the hope.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
The Knicks will use one of their two-way contracts on UCLA?s Kris Wilkes, according to ESPN.

Wilkes, the 20-year-old wing, led the Bruins in scoring last year at 17.4 points per game but was criticized for his stagnant progress in college.

?An underachiever,? according to a scout.

He?s a scorer who needs to develop other facets of the game to contribute in the NBA.

Wilkes, who is from Indianapolis and was a five-star recruit in high school, went undrafted Wednesday but obviously had a commitment from the Knicks.

The two-way contract allows the Knicks to keep Wilkes in the G League for much of the season while retaining his rights. Last season the Knicks signed Allonzo Trier to a two-way deal, but he was so good they converted it into a NBA contract.

mafra

Legend
Michigan lefty swingman Ignas Brazdeikis.
Brazdeikis was born in Lithuania but grew up in Canada, meaning the Knicks selected two Canadian lefty swingman Thursday after grabbing RJ Barrett at No. 3.

Brazdeikis was one-and-done at Michigan, started all 37 games, shot 39.2 percent from 3-point range and averaged a team-high 14.8 points ? the first Michigan freshman to lead the team in scoring since ex-Knick Trey Burke in 2011-12.

Defense isn?t his strong suit, but he projects as a nice bench scorer.

Ignas Brazdeikis led all draft prospects in spot up scoring making a significant impact as a floor spacer in his single season at Michigan.

?I think definitely that I?ve been able to prove I?m a perimeter player, that I can play the 3 (small-forward position) in the NBA and that I?m showing a lot of skills that I have that I feel like I haven?t gotten the chance to show at Michigan this year,? Brazdeikis told the Detroit Free Press on Tuesday. ?So playing in front of these teams and then these small individual workouts, I was able to show off my perimeter skills and my ability to dribble the ball and just making plays. And then defensively, my versatility to defend multiple positions, whether it?s bigger guys, smaller guys.?

Last edited: