NBA Summer League 2019

Good showing tonight. Either it took our guys a few SL games to get it together or Lakers are an inferior SL team to the competition we played up until now.

tiger0330

Legend
Haven't been watching as much of SL as I have in past years. Anybody seen Ja play yet or have any comments about some potential rising stars?

mafra

Legend
That?s a glimpse of the future they?re selling....

RJ-Knox offensive duo, complimented with the Sultan of Swat Robinson himselfster ? the Blockness Monster.

RJ running the point, Knox off on the wing... The alley-oops machine setting picks and gathering rebounds...

Dennis Smith Jr and Julius Randle will be the first PG/PF combo we?ll employ in this RJ-Knox era.

It may take a while, it might not even work, but that?s how you commit to a true rebuild.

Make the kids earn it but remain patient. As long as the effort is there, the discipline and the attention to detail... Ride the bumps. Teach. Let them learn.

Right now, we hand ball to DSJ-Randle, and tell them that the dynamic lottery duo is their back-up (3rd and 4th options) scoring options. Go to work. Win! Set the culture.

That?s the vision. Give it 2 years and see where you?re at July 2021.

Battles will be waged. Payton and Knits and Dotson. Ellington and Bullock. All the rest.

Shooters and defenders can be subbed in and out to compliment the hottest 2... whomever... of the four (DSJ, RJ, Knox Randle).

Have faith, and commit, and that?s when something clicks... with roles defined and patterns set, they buy into the system.

RJ was hitting 3s, dunking, rebounding. He looked good. He?s getting to the FT line. But what you saw was evident... a dude who wants to impose his will on the floor. RJ and Knox are teenagers...

Be patient...

If it works, the payoff is you have some real attractive assets or franchise studs in two 6?7? wing players who are born to score. RJ and Knox entering age 22 and 23 season in 3 years... entering prime with 3 seasons of battle experience... see how they mature...

MItch Rob...

2 more lottery picks...

Cap space...

Maybe a gem Euro in Iggy?

A steal in Trier...

Maybe an all star in DSJ, Payton, Randle.

In the meantime, these cornerstone have gritty vets to guide them thru and teach them how to be professional.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Mitchell Robinson said he will expand his range out to the 3-point line next season.
Through the Knicks first four summer league games, Robinson has been dominant defensively and extremely efficient on offense. He's blocked 14 shots and has made 21 of his 25 FG attempts from the floor. However, he's yet to attempt a shot outside of the paint. But, apparently, that will change in 2019-20. "Next year I?m shooting threes. I can shoot them. I shot them in high school. They ain?t that much farther," said Robinson. "I?m going to continue to work on it. We work on [the eight-to-10 foot shots] a lot. Me and [assistant Summer League] coach Mike Miller, we work on that a lot. We?ve been working on that for almost a whole summer, also ballhandling, just getting better."

tiger0330

Legend
Just tuning in and the Knicks now lead 51-50 at the half. Barrett with 11 on 3-5 shooting along with 5Fts. Knicks trivia, Kevin Knox dad played with Charlie Ward on that FL football team.

Barrett is the only top pick that has played in every game. Looks like he's an excellent RBer for a wing along with being a good penetrator and finisher. Has 6 RBs and 7dimes middle of the 3rd.

tiger0330

Legend
Wooten looks looks like a pogo stick out there blocking 2 shots after subbing for MRob.He's got 5 in 7mins, the record is 7, MRob had 6 last SL.

It was a consolation Summer League game, but if you?re not encouraged as a Knick fan by RJ putting up 21 points, 10 assists, and 8 boards, I don?t know what more he could have done.

mafra

Legend
RJ show the 3 things that made him special in my book:

1) Availability. His body is built for this.
2) Attitude. He exudes confidence. It?s infectious and sincere.
3). Winning. Knicks would?ve won first game (if not for earthquake). They lost second game in OT. Got blown out in third game but responded with back 2 back wins.

Let others cry over the shooting, as if a teenage kid w/ work ethic, who wants to be great, won?t improve. He did just the last 3 games.

He is a triple double machine!

Our kids with our vets... we have deepest team in NBA. If RJ plays like this, with Randle and dSJ emerging... we could battle for a playoff spot.

mafra

Legend
Wooten looks looks like a pogo stick out there blocking 2 shots after subbing for MRob.He's got 5 in 7mins, the record is 7, MRob had 6 last SL.

I like Wooten. Word is NYK we?re prepared to draft him, but then Iggy fell.

He?s probably getting a 2-way contract. But might struggle this year for playing time with all our bigs. Still, he?s a developmental guy, ready to backup MRob in 2 seasons.

Did Wilks even play in SL?

mafra

Legend
Recap over on knicksonline.com (from a dude who wanted culver over RJ):

?Yeah, we gotta start with RJ. He dominated the Wiz on the scoreboard to the tune of 21 points (including an efficient 7-13 shooting), 10 assists and eight rebounds. His game was about more than just the numbers, though ? and this is coming from a noted critic who accused RJ of stat-padding while at Duke. The Knicks played like a well-oiled machine when RJ had the ball and fell apart when he was on the bench. He knifed through the defense, getting layups, drawing fouls and dropping the shiniest of dimes. He could?ve had four or five more assists, as some of his scrub teammates blew golden scoring opportunities off RJ passes. Following three games of struggle (and a fourth game where he played much better, even if his shooting didn?t come around) it was like RJ saw through the Matrix this afternoon. And it was glorious.?

Also,

?Pretty much all the other real Knicks had good games, including Ignas Brazdeikis (17 points, 8 rebounds) and Mitchell Robinson (18 points, 9 rebounds, 3 block)...

Five Knicks players scored in double digits on Saturday: Brazdeikis (17), Kevin Knox (15), Robinson (18), Barrett (21), Tyler Cavanaugh (19).?

tiger0330

Legend
Why can’t RJ be our Ben Simmons in 2 years?
I
I think he can be groomed to play PG... just sayin’...
Come on Mafra he’s not a PG. He can fill in but he can be a star at the wing but a middling PG that needs to improve his handle along with his shooting. Better he puts in more time on his perimeter game than dividing it on his handle and shooting.

Broadway

All Star
Come on Mafra he’s not a PG. He can fill in but he can be a star at the wing but a middling PG that needs to improve his handle along with his shooting. Better he puts in more time on his perimeter game than dividing it on his handle and shooting.

I said RJ can be T-Mac before the draft and I stand by that. In a way we may need him to be when you look at our team 2yrs from now. Yeah he can work on other aspects of his game more but he might more "naturally" be a playmaker first. There's no harm in this at all

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Come on Mafra he?s not a PG. He can fill in but he can be a star at the wing but a middling PG that needs to improve his handle along with his shooting. Better he puts in more time on his perimeter game than dividing it on his handle and shooting.

Not me saying this, although I agree with it. They were saying that on the broadcast...

It won?t be something this year.... even tho they?ll run the ball through him. Think Harden and TMac.

He may not be PG in name but, for all intents and purposes, he?ll be the primary ball handler.

Obviously, they?ll prefer to have RJ work in shot and get comfortable.... but regardless... wing or PG... he?ll be the dominant ball-handler/lfacilitator.

And, again, why not?

3rd year in the league and Simmons made just 2 shots all season beyond 15 feet. RJ can certainly be that in his 3rd season, no?

His handle not as bad as Knox?s... and, sure... he?ll need a lead guard out there (like Harden and MJ and Kobe)... but, like all those ball dominant wing (SG) types... they control the flow of the offense, especially in the 4th.

That was his thing at duke... grab the defensive board and take off. He can pass too... when he wants!