The Perfect Plan B

Paul1355

All Star
Hear me out fellow Knick fans and I?d like your thoughts below in comment section.

Below is my plan B roster with the contract situation that would be established. No strings attached unless they are young with potential:

ROSTER:
STARTING:
Dennis Smith Jr(rookie deal)
Deangelo Russell(max 30-32 mil)
Damyean Dotson(rookie deal)
Julius Randle (1-3 year deal at 20 mil per year)
Demarcus Cousins (1 year deal at 20 mil)

BENCH:
Kadeem Allen(cheap deal)
RJ Barrett(rookie deal)
Kevin Knox(rookie deal)
Ignas Bradzeikes(rookie deal)/Cris Wilkes (two way deal)
Mitchell Robinson(rookie deal)

Knicks have projected 70 million in cap space. Trading Frank N could free up 4-5 million more in cap space allowing a scenario like this to occur and allow an additional roster spot or two to be filled. Lance Thomas is expected to be waived freeing up 6 million in cap space for 2019?s class. This is a plan B in case Kevin Durant and/or Kyrie Irving decide to stick to us and choose Brooklyn...essentially forcing out D Russell.

This team is young, fast, talented, and deep with a lot of potential. Best case scenario, all young players develop quickly and Cousins returns to all star form for a new deal heading into 2020 free agency. Worst case, Cousins flops in which we drop, followed by Randle and find a taker for Russell to continue rebuild.

Knicks still own multiple 1st round picks for the foreseeable future.

The future is bright so ?stay patient? Knick fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mafra

Legend
I like a Dlo/Randle pairing. Both are young and fits the rebuilding plan....

Adding Cousins to that mix would be intriguing....

Rotate Randle, Mitch and Cousins...

I think I prefer DJ tho.... Randle and Cousins might be too much post offense, and I prefer to have DJ groom Mitch.

Could we get Morris and DJ for the price of Cousins?

mafra

Legend
Kanter said Zion was Julius Randle with hops.... Randle tweeted to EK that he dropped 40 on him.

I want Randle!!!

mafra

Legend
I?ll go on record and state this boldly, that my Plan A pivots after Achilles injury....

Unless KL, KD, or KI make us a priority Sunday evening... I would focus on youth and future and pounce while people are chasing the lead dogs....

A lot depends on what Nets do without DLo (do they relinquish their RFA hold)?

If so...

Russell gets 4/100 (25)
Randle gets 4/60 (15)
DJ gets 3/60 (20)
Morris from BOS gets 3/30 (10)

This is ballpark numbers...

We inject more youth and add leadership.... we add 4 quality players instead of 2 max guys.... but we do not eat into future cap space.

There isn?t a free agent worthwhile next summer (if AD and KL sign).... so, these deals help usher in the new era and when contracts are done RJ/Mitch ready to roll.

And, Randle and DLo May keep growing....

DSJ, Russell, RJ, Randle, Mitch would be nasty on offense.

tiger0330

Legend
I'd rather not sign a PG like Russell with one of our max slots, I'm a bigger fan of Rozier at 3yr/60M also if we are going to sign a PG. Any long term deals we sign should be for young players that fit with our time-line, Randal would be a guy like that. I like the idea of signing Cousins to a one year deal, I'd go higher than 20M, short term guy that might put us in the playoff picture next year. Spurs made the playoffs with a starting 5 of DeRozan, LA, Forbes, Poertl, White so a starting 5 of Cuz, Randal, Rozier, Knox, RJ might do the same for the Knicks. Fiz I think starts RJ if he has an outstanding SL.

mafra

Legend
?I definitely can [see it],? Rozier said in a May 14 interview. ?This is a great organization. Everybody knows about the New York Knicks, the sports market, the city of New York. It?d be great.?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...zier-may-pay-off-in-kemba-walker-fallout/amp/

I?m fine with Rozier over DLo... Randle is my main target.

Bringing in Cousins would be to make a run at playoffs, and change perception of team as a perennial loser.

G: Rozier, DSJ, Knits, Trier, Dotson, Wilks
F: RJ, Knox, Randle, Iggy
C: Cousins and Mitch

That?s possibly a playoff team in the ECF?

Rozier and Randle part of future...

I only do this if I buy what Cousins is selling. Is he willing to come here and show kids how to play? Challenge him to regroup his dominant status, to lead this group to a 5-8 seed?

Old school NYK b-ball with Rozier, DC and Randle.

Cousins could be like Zach Randolph. A pleasant surprise.

tiger0330

Legend
Seeing buzz on signing Cuz and Rozier. Cuz for a "significant" one year deal which now means more than 20M you would think. Rozier possibly being renounced by the Celts to sign Kemba, clearing him to become an UFA. Cuz has a lot to prove so he'll be motivated this coming season, just needs to avoid injuries. Rozier has a lot of pit bull in him, I like his game.

Got to spend 60 million to reach minimum. If we strike out on stars, a couple lucky 2nd or 3rd tier guys are going to get some pretty juicy one year deals with us.

Kiyaman

Legend
Plan B is decent but it has no NBA leadership players to help the growth of our young-core players ....
The Knicks need a NBA leadership player that has a high B.ball IQ that the young-players and young-coach Fizdale will look up to and follow.
Knicks front office need to start thinking Winning-offseason and make the trade for Chris Paul ASAP to bring a winning B.ball structure back into MSG, before the Houston Rockets change their mind bout trading Chris Paul expensive $$$ contract so they could go after FA Butler.
Trading for Chris Paul, then resigning center DJ will give the Knicks young-core players the veteran-leadership to have confidence in their performance to have a winning season. I'm thinking bout the productive growth of the Knicks young-core players after one season having a player/coach CP3 and a dominating center DJ as their teammates .. plus the Knicks having CP3 and DJ on their roster in July, will have a few top FA calling the Knicks.

Starters
CP3
Frank
Knox
Randle or Portis or Morris brothers
DJ
2nd-Unit
DSJ
Dotson
RJ
Vonleh
MitchRob

The above 10-Man rotation are an above .500 rotation in the Eastern Conference

Paul1355

All Star
Got to spend 60 million to reach minimum. If we strike out on stars, a couple lucky 2nd or 3rd tier guys are going to get some pretty juicy one year deals with us.

Randle, Portis and Bullock have nice upside, are young and tough. Gibson is a tough vet that can provide nice highlights, but in a mentor role. Now we have 18 million left over..I?d offer Cousins a 1 year 18 mil deal with some kind of option for 2nd year since all the other deals are 2 year deals. You?re set up for free agency in 2 years for another max off season because everyone comes off the books or is due for a new contract allowing you to resign who you want. I believe this would be in line with the Knicks thinking.

Need a long term plan but get guys with serious potential.

mafra

Legend
Fact is this roster is better for this upcoming season then it would be with Kyrie and an injured KD.

Sucks we don?t have KP and RJ, but this is first time in long time we are on right path... we have young talent, vet leadership, cap flexibility and draft picks.

With Lakers and GSW and Philly... Knicks weren?t gonna win title next 2 years with KI and kd.

Now we build right way and get ready for 2022. In the meantime, we get to watch NY media eat Kyrie and KD alive.

Kawhi goes to lakers and we laugh at Nets.

mafra

Legend
While the Knicks once again whiffed on the big free agents, all is not lost. Here are five reasons to be optimistic...

They didn't make any panic moves

Once they knew the KD/Kyrie dream was dead, the Knicks could've made a panic move -- think overpaying for DeMarcus Cousins or offering a max deal to Tobias Harris. They didn't. Instead, the Knicks signed five players, but none on a deal longer than two guaranteed seasons.

Of the players the Knicks signed, Julius Randle -- a player the Knicks had their eyes on before the KD/Kyrie decisions were made -- might be the best of the bunch. The 24-year-old Randle averaged 21.4 points and 8.7 rebounds in 73 games last season for the Pelicans.

Could've overpaid for Cousins, Harris, etc. .. Julius Randle is good ...

They maintained roster flexibility

While they've used the majority of the cap space they cleared in the hopes that they would land a top free agent or two, the Knicks haven't added any players who have guaranteed deals beyond the 2020-21 season. And the 2020-21 offseason is the next one where there could be huge stars on the free agent market -- including Giannis Antetokounmpo.

While the Knicks kept the books clean beyond 2021, they also added players who could be tradable assets as early as this coming season.

They have a solid young core

After years of taking shortcuts to try to contend for a championship, the Knicks are staying the course with their young core. Mitchell Robinson could be a beast for years to come, Kevin Knox showed flashes last season and will play the entire 2019-20 season as a 20-year-old, Allonzo Trier will be back, and RJ Barrett was just added to the mix.

The Knicks are also in good shape when it comes to future draft picks, which they can use to add to their young core or as part of trades.

The Dolan effect might not be as bad as it used to be

James Dolan's presence certainly can't be viewed as anything but a negative, but after years of meddling, it seems he's taken a bit of a step back. He put the new hierarchy of Steve Mills and Scott Perry in place and has seemingly let them do their thing, which included hiring David Fizdale as head coach.

If Dolan can somehow stop making a scene at Madison Square Garden (having Charles Oakley banned, getting into it with fans on camera, etc.), that would be another step in the right direction.

Knicksonline.com

Here?s my plan B. Decline all our team options next offseason to clear space for a max deal. Offer Draymond Green a max deal with the sales pitch ?come spend the next 4 years screwing up the end of Kevin Durant?s career?. I think he would do it.

Paul1355

All Star
While the Knicks once again whiffed on the big free agents, all is not lost. Here are five reasons to be optimistic...

They didn't make any panic moves

Once they knew the KD/Kyrie dream was dead, the Knicks could've made a panic move -- think overpaying for DeMarcus Cousins or offering a max deal to Tobias Harris. They didn't. Instead, the Knicks signed five players, but none on a deal longer than two guaranteed seasons.

Of the players the Knicks signed, Julius Randle -- a player the Knicks had their eyes on before the KD/Kyrie decisions were made -- might be the best of the bunch. The 24-year-old Randle averaged 21.4 points and 8.7 rebounds in 73 games last season for the Pelicans.

Could've overpaid for Cousins, Harris, etc. .. Julius Randle is good ...

They maintained roster flexibility

While they've used the majority of the cap space they cleared in the hopes that they would land a top free agent or two, the Knicks haven't added any players who have guaranteed deals beyond the 2020-21 season. And the 2020-21 offseason is the next one where there could be huge stars on the free agent market -- including Giannis Antetokounmpo.

While the Knicks kept the books clean beyond 2021, they also added players who could be tradable assets as early as this coming season.

They have a solid young core

After years of taking shortcuts to try to contend for a championship, the Knicks are staying the course with their young core. Mitchell Robinson could be a beast for years to come, Kevin Knox showed flashes last season and will play the entire 2019-20 season as a 20-year-old, Allonzo Trier will be back, and RJ Barrett was just added to the mix.

The Knicks are also in good shape when it comes to future draft picks, which they can use to add to their young core or as part of trades.

The Dolan effect might not be as bad as it used to be

James Dolan's presence certainly can't be viewed as anything but a negative, but after years of meddling, it seems he's taken a bit of a step back. He put the new hierarchy of Steve Mills and Scott Perry in place and has seemingly let them do their thing, which included hiring David Fizdale as head coach.

If Dolan can somehow stop making a scene at Madison Square Garden (having Charles Oakley banned, getting into it with fans on camera, etc.), that would be another step in the right direction.

Knicksonline.com

Perfect post, yes all true there are reasons to exhale. All of this Kyrie/KD stuff is noise the media hyped up. Sure Dolan doesn?t help but he just needs to stay out of it. If it?s true Knicks didn?t offer kd max then it?s on mills and perry.

They are all super young and now we have a mix of vets and upNcoming players who are on the rise in Randle, Portis, DSJ, Dotson, and Robinson

Knicks remind me of the clippers and nets before they shocked people made the playoffs

Paul1355

All Star
Here?s my plan B. Decline all our team options next offseason to clear space for a max deal. Offer Draymond Green a max deal with the sales pitch ?come spend the next 4 years screwing up the end of Kevin Durant?s career?. I think he would do it.

I might consider paying green max just to haunt Durant when he returns

mafra

Legend
I might consider paying green max just to haunt Durant when he returns [emoji23

We can only hope this slap in the face motivates the entire team.

All that matters is they come out and be better than Nets. Kyrie will demolish that locker room... make KD regret decision before he even laces up his sneakers.

Imagine the narrative if Knicks win 43 and reach playoffs and Nets win 38 games...

This time next year... when Spender, Lavert and Allen are alienated bc of Kyrie and DJ... when RJ is a stud, Randle an all star caliber producer and the Blockness Monster doing his thing... with DSJ looking like AI...

This is how you make KD regret his choice and eat his words.