2019 NBA Free Agency Thread

mafra

Legend
A wise GM once said, when asked about a player?s best ability, and he said ?Avail-ability.?

KP is never available...

He disrespected his boss and wouldn?t meet with PJ, he ?rapes? a gal and then gets into a fisticuffs in Latvia. Immaturity issues?

Meanwhile, Randle is working and improving and always available.

Don?t get me wrong, I would be more excited about our ceiling with RJ and KP... but there is a silver lining here and Randle a suitable fill-in, especially if DSJ shows up.

Randle is one of those guys you love on paper. His per-36 minute numbers are ridiculous (25 points, 10 boards, 3.5 assists) and I was reading somewhere that is as good as Giannis and Embiid. But, dude has to learn to play defense.

Apparently, Mavericks are 3rd team in Jimmy Butler sign and trade and will be receiving Goran Dragic.

Do you think the NBA should investigate Cuban?s obsession with white dudes? Doncic, KP, Dragic, Nash, Dirk. Hmm.

mafra

Legend
Stevie Mills issues a statement:

NYK President Steve Mills: ?While we understand that some Knicks fans could be disappointed with tonight?s news, we continue to be upbeat and confident in our plans to rebuild the Knicks to compete for championships in the future, through both the draft and targeted free agents.?

mafra

Legend
Tommy Bear tweet:

Only 4 teams have more than $20 million in cap space left: Knicks, Lakers, Clippers, and Mavs. Mavs just traded for Dragic. Clips have SGA at PG. If the Wolves can?t find somewhere to dump Wiggins salary, D?Angelo Russell may be left without a seat when the music stops...

??-

Knicks have 40 mil in space available.
Sign Bullock and use rest to absorb a bad contract? Do we need a Bullock or should we give those minutes to Knits and Dotson?

Would you absorb Wiggins of that means a first? Sign DLo?

Word is we want to save space next year for AD... BS! We should be focused on 2021, when Giannis and Towns may be itching to leave...

Tommy Bear tweet:

Only 4 teams have more than $20 million in cap space left: Knicks, Lakers, Clippers, and Mavs. Mavs just traded for Dragic. Clips have SGA at PG. If the Wolves can?t find somewhere to dump Wiggins salary, D?Angelo Russell may be left without a seat when the music stops...

??-

Sign Bullock and use rest to absorb a bad contract? Do we need a Bullock or should we give those minutes to Knits and Dotson?

Word is we want to save space next year for AD... BS! We should be focused on 2021, when Giannis and Towns may be itching to leave...

I?d rather not. Doesn?t Wiggins have like 4 years and 120 million left on his deal?

I?d take DeAngelo Russell though. Hope he spends the next 3 seasons going berserk against the Nets.

DeAngelo Russell maybe going to be a victim of Kawhi drawing things out. If Kawhi goes to Clippers or stays in Toronto, Russell is going to the Lakers. If Kawhi goes to the Lakers, not sure what Russell does. I?m guessing Minnesota finds someone to take salary so they can sign him.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Tommy Bear tweet:

Only 4 teams have more than $20 million in cap space left: Knicks, Lakers, Clippers, and Mavs. Mavs just traded for Dragic. Clips have SGA at PG. If the Wolves can’t find somewhere to dump Wiggins salary, D’Angelo Russell may be left without a seat when the music stops...

——-

Forgot about Russell and the Knicks. I would love if he signed with the Knicks.

mafra

Legend
Yesterday, their odds to win the 2019-2020 NBA title were 45-to-1. Right now, the Knicks are a whopping 150-to-1.

Ouch.

Too much for Wiggy then, unless we get like 4 picks.

DLo makes more sense than Reggie Bullock.

I?d laugh my ass off if the Knicks get Minnesota?s 2020, 2022, 2024, and 2026 1st round picks in exchange for taking Wiggins contract.

mafra

Legend
Yeah, PhO got Rubio... Seems like Lakers or Knicks if Minny can?t find a trade partner.

I hope NY doesn?t miss boat trying to lure Kawhi... If they are waiting for their KL meeting then they may miss out ...

Then again, imagine they pull off a Kawhi miracle.

tiger0330

Legend
The Taj Gibson signing seems like a move to eat up salary to get us to that minimum and put a veteran in practice to work with our young guys. Taj is a high character guy who likely will fill a solid mentor role like DJ did last year. Boogie would have been all about Boogie.

Also, we would have written the jokes for them to sign a guy who has had a major Achilles injury after low balling Durant because of a current Achilles injury.
Knicks would know better to lowball him, they probably never had a discussion to sign him at all or this report is BS. I’m on record that Mills motto on Durant should be “Let someone else play with fire we’ve been burned too many times before”, so I’m OK with not signing him.

I like Taj but all the talk was about getting guys that fit the timeline, at 34 he doesn’t and you could have got a vet presence for a lot less money (Melo, Lance). Watch Mills sign Isiah Thomas next, smh. I’m expecting Mills and Perry to preach patience to the fan base which is BS, you trade your franchise player to create cap space in the most talent laden FA in my memory and you come away with Randle and Taj. If I were Dolan, I’d fire Mills for making a fool of him on that radio show when he predicted we’re going to have a successful FA and make the playoffs next year.

I?m guessing Minny finds somebody to take salary so they can sign Russell.

Kawhi probably to Lakers.

Knicks and Clippers spend the rest of free agency signing guys hanging out in front of 7-elevens to reach minimum salary numbers.

mafra

Legend
Teflon Mills escapes again...yes, our front office walked around for months after dealing KP with their noses in the air, acting as if they knew something we didn?t.

They basically acted like KD plus 1 have already signed a contract.

However, what most are neglecting to mention... as they shred NYK for trading KP and striking out today... is that something pretty major happened in between, no?

KD did rupture his Achilles? tendon... reporters forget that? Knicks do have the right to reconsider?

Maybe they floated notion they were still prepared to give max as a courtesy to Kd?s camp? Who knows.

Kyrie crashes and burned that BOS team, thus giving us pause....

Anyway... it?s Perry job on the line... and he does have the right to back out of a commitment because of events that took place... maybe he really didn?t want to give KD a max after that Achilles snapped.

The question is: would Knicks get a better package for KP now? Could they have called
His bluff? Would he have stayed if he had success with RJ?

Kiyaman

Legend
PF - Randle's a decent FA piece to put in a lineup with 4 of our young-core players Frank/Dotson/RJ/and MitchRob ..
The rumors on Randle's poor defensive effort are true.
Bringing Randle to NY .. Perry must RESIGN center DJ tomorrow!
The college rumors on Knox poor defensive-effort are true too. Not a Starter in 2nd season.
Knox would make a nice backup SF next season .. Perry need to sign FA Oubre as our Starter SF!
The same poor-defensive college rumors bout DSJr came true in his performance in Dallas and NY .. Not a starter in 3rd season.
Perry has to sign a decent FA PG to lead the team next season .. Beverley? Rondo? AI? Rubio?

DeAndre Jordan to get 4 years 40 million with Nets and get this, Durant and Kyrie are each taking less than the max so DJ can get his money. L.O.L.

Guys, it?s kind of amazing. The internet is going crazy on Nets fans about how their ?super team? is super lame. It?s not us for once guys. Somebody else has made themselves the target of the internet?s wrath.