2019 NBA Free Agency Thread

tiger0330

Legend
Yup so much for the NBA rumor mill:). So when the game of musical chairs stopped the Knicks were left standing:(. So what did this years' NBA free agency teach us? NBA superstars don't want to go to losing, badly run franchises with a terrible owner to be the savior(Knicks). Franchises like that don't even get a meeting. Instead NBA superstars will align themselves with well run franchises on a winning trajectory. The "Knicks Tank" rolled over and crushed our chances in the best NBA free agency Summer in years. So I am officially off "Team Tank." No more rooting for loses and ineptitude. No more rooting more counting lottery balls and crying about how "1 or 2 wins" cost us a spot or two in the lottery. Our one good lottery pick got traded(Porzingis), Knits is a bust, and Knox is still a question mark. All that losing with next to nothing to showed for it. NOTHING. Throw in a question mark for a coach, questionable front office, and a crappy owner and there you have it. Instead of KD, Kyrie, Kwahi, or any or worthwhile free agent, you end up with Julius Randle and a bunch of JAGS(just another guys). The allure of playing in the Garden is lore from yesteryear. NBA stars are well under 40 so they don't remember or care about playing in MSG. Instead this generation of stars want to work for good ownership and play for winning franchises. Please don't sell us any more wolf tickets James Dolan and Co. about "attracting quality free agents" and all that other nonsense. Put a competent team on the floor instead of trying to LOSE 60 games a season. Stop throwing NBA royalty(Charles Oakley) out of the building for pointing out the obvious. Stop acting like a bunch of clowns that know better than the rest of us. Stop asking us to trust you when you have done NOTHING TO EARN OR DESERVE OUR TRUST. Shut up and get your act together or this nonsense will keep happening over and over and over again.
Exactly, Chief. If you don't want to switch sides and start rooting for the Nets you can at least stop drinking that Kool Aid their forcing us to drink and stop spending money on the Knicks. If there is any team that should have the worst attendance in the league, it should be the Knicks and not the Nets.

On the brighter side with KL now in the west, the EC became more competitive. Maybe Coach Fizdale can make good on his and his wife's prediction that this upcoming season will be amazing and the Knicks can actually string together enough wins to compete for the playoffs but I'm thinking 32 win season at most for this group.

tiger0330

Legend
Wow, I thought Clippers were out, but now they do this. They lose SGA and either trade away or swap every 1st round pick for what feels like a decade to get Paul George.

PG and Kawhi vs Lebron and AD. Going to be interesting.
Clips didn't sit on their hands waiting for Kawhi either, got Harkless, Magruder, resigned Beverly and now have the top two way players in the league. I'd see if Cuz is interested in a one year cheap deal to top off this amazing season for them, Clips should be a magnet for guys wanting to play on cheap deals to win a ring like the Dubs were.

tiger0330

Legend
Clips didn't sit on their hands waiting for Kawhi either, got Harkless, Magruder, resigned Beverly and now have the top two way players in the league. I'd see if Cuz is interested in a one year cheap deal to top off this amazing season for them, Clips should be a magnet for guys wanting to play on cheap deals to win a ring like the Dubs were.
Clips look to start Zubic who is a RFA at the 5, they have the room exception to bring in Cuz. PG is also another spot they could use some help with the often injured PatBev as their projected starter.

Here?s my question. If you are the Lakers and you knew it possibly meant getting Kawhi in free agency, do you trade for PG instead of AD?

mafra

Legend
Cousins, Danny Green, Rondo, KCP, Cook, Jamal McGee all sigh with Lakers

Our haul is better, no? That?s what happens when you wait on a max guy. This is how LAK spent their available
Max slot money.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Cousins, Danny Green, Rondo, KCP, Cook, Jamal McGee all sigh with Lakers

Our haul is better, no? That’s what happens when you wait on a max guy. This is how LAK spent their available
Max slot money.
Lakers did pretty good after not getting Kawhi.

Clippers better win something. They are paying 1st round picks for this deal all the way until 2026. I think this has to be the most that any team has ever traded away in a single deal.

jimkcchief88

All Star
sorry but da tank keeps rollin on....

The tank will have no choice but to keep rolling when Juliuis Randle is your ?star player.? I?m just done rooting for loses. And I won?t listen to any ?reasoning? about why we should root for loses.
It was stupid to begin with and against the nature of competition. Now the free agents have spoken. Top flight free agents (not lower tier like we signed) refused to join a crappy team franchise like ours. They went to good teams to make them great. So the next poster that tells me that losing is actually good I?m going to remind them about this week. And how our Knicks got spurned even though we had the dough because our team stank to high heaven. No good free agents wanted to play for the Knicks minus KP. We couldn?t give our $$$$ away to any free agent worth a crap. And our front office stinks and lies every time their lips move. Someone?s head should be rolling down Madison Avenue because of this travesty on Chief.

tiger0330

Legend
Absolutely stunning news. I feel bad for the Raps fans not only losing KL but Danny Green as well, they won their championship which I guess is worth the price of the 1 year rental of two starters that got them their rings.

For the NBA I'm glad he chose the Clips and not the Lakers. Sets up a more competitive NBA WC with Kawhi on the Clips instead of joining the Lakers.

Mammoth shift this offseason in the competitive balance of the NBA with all these stars changing teams.

Will the Raps go from winning the championship to missing the playoffs next year.

Will Russ try to force his way out of OKC to join the Lakers next.

Is this the end of the Warriors dynasty? Will they miss the playoffs next year.

Makes me salty as a Knicks fan seeing all these stars change teams and the Knicks were not even in play for one of them. Dark day for Knicks fans when you traded away your franchise player for cap space and you come away with Julius Randle. Those Dallas picks are also far into the future and if Cuban is right about Porzingis and Doncic they might be crappy late first round picks. We hope one of the young guys is a star but after seeing RJ yesterday it might be years before that happens.
Reports that Russ wants out of OKC and will request a trade before the start of the season. He'd love to go to the Lakers or Clips but I doubt they have the assets that could get him from OKC.

Announced today that we have signed Iggy to a multiple year deal. No terms were released, but possibly something similar to MRob?s deal. Michigan fans really talk Brazdeikis up. Hope he turns into a rotation player for us.

mafra

Legend
Until AD re-signs... there?s always a chance. I wonder if Kawhi and Pg13 to LaC might help push AD to Ny?

So, you?re saying there?s a chance?

Come on DSJ/Randle! Take flight...

Say what you want about our front office, they have proven very adept at getting young guys to sign team friendly deals with us.

Iggy Brazdeikis has signed a 3-year deal with us with the 1st year at the rookie minimum of 900,000, the 2nd year at 1.5 million, and the 3rd year a team option at 1.8 million.

If Iggy turns into a rotation player for us, that deal is great. If he doesn?t, risk us very low with only 2.4 million guaranteed over 2 years.

mafra

Legend
Not to mention Trier and Wooten look like rotation players.

Now, if only a lottery pick emerges to carry the load...

mafra

Legend
The Knicks are reportedly re-working the original two-year, $21 million offer they extended to Reggie Bullock.

According to sources of Adrian Wojnarowski, both sides are motivated to come to terms on a new agreement, but they're "re-evaluating Bullock?s fitness to play a full season in 2019-20." Bullock did deal with some foot and neck issues towards the end of the 2018-19 season, but it's unclear if that's what they're referring to by "fitness." Stay tuned.

Sounds like re-working Bullock allows knicks to sign Marcus Morris.

Just read that Marcus Morris might bail on Spurs for larger 1 year offer with Knicks so that he can try free agency again in 2020.

While Marcus Morris is not a star, this would be a significant get for the Knicks. He is a good player who would be a big add to our surprisingly deep rotation.

mafra

Legend
He?s another baller... a stretch 4 type.

MRob, Randle, Morris, Portis, Gibson, Wooten is an impressive front court rotation.

He?s another baller... a stretch 4 type.

MRob, Randle, Morris, Portis, Gibson, Wooten is an impressive front court rotation.

Yeah. Plus, unlike Randle and Portis, Morris is a plus defender. You can stick him on the other teams top offensive forward. Morris is a signing that might actually translate to an improved team next season.