2019 NBA Free Agency Thread

mafra

Legend
Again makes me wonder about Perry with the TWolves playing musical chairs with Taj and NV. Vonleh signed a one year deal for all or part of the MLE or the bi-annual. Why couldn't we keep him

He can hit the 3, Taj can't.

Vonleh 25 Taj 34.

Both short term deals, Taj 20M Vonleh less than 10M.

Makes me wonder about Perry.

True. Well said.

I think Taj was signed bc of his age, to provide this young roster with vet guidance. Vonleh or Portis is probably the better comparison.

Maybe they liked Portis bc he punched a European?

Mills didn't say he could get a meeting with KL based on his relationship with his uncle, the media did.
As for the signings, smart moves. They would not have been there later because too many teams need to fill there rosters.
FAs don't want to be here, we don't need them.

Kawhi continues to draw things out. Clippers and Raptors in particular are teams that maybe could have had a big impact on free agency if they knew they were not getting Kawhi, now, I?m not sure what is left out there for them.

Chandler Parsons traded to Atlanta. He was arguably one of the worst free agent signings in recent history.

People forget all the stupid **** other teams constantly do because the media is always talking about us.

Interesting point made by SAS. Kawhi has 2 championship rings and Lebron has 3. Kawhi is never going to catch Lebron playing on the Lakers with him. Is Kawhi really the kind of guy who wants to help further cement Lebron?s legacy? No idea if he even cares.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Interesting point made by SAS. Kawhi has 2 championship rings and Lebron has 3. Kawhi is never going to catch Lebron playing on the Lakers with him. Is Kawhi really the kind of guy who wants to help further cement Lebron?s legacy? No idea if he even cares.

One of my coworkers made solid case today for KL joining the Clippers. I guess we will know later tonight or tomorrow.

Strong buzz that Kawhi will resign with the Raptors for 2 years and then go for a max contract in 2021 when he has had 10 years in the league.

If this is true, Raptors are the favorite to repeat. Clippers are screwed. Lakers are not scary at all. Nets won?t be able to even win the division. We look okay for aiming for 2021.

mafra

Legend
If he signs the 2 year deal... He?s going to LAC or NY then. He wants to repeat with TOR... get his money... then see what LAC or NYK look like this time next Summer.

If he wanted Lakers he would go there now. He probably wants LAC but since they ain?t ready yet... he?ll wait 1 more season.

Another reason Knicks need to bust it this year... win 40 and be in a position to attract players.

If he signs the 2 year deal... He?s going to LAC or NY then. He wants to repeat with TOR... get his money... then see what LAC or NYK look like this time next Summer.

If he wanted Lakers he would go there now. He probably wants LAC but since they ain?t ready yet... he?ll wait 1 more season.

Another reason Knicks need to bust it this year... win 40 and be in a position to attract players.

I?m not stupid. I know this franchise will never sign a star free agent while Dolan owns the team.

But...spend the next 2 seasons turning RJ and MRob into stars and change the culture here. Then, you open up the massive cap space again in 2021 and you pitch your ass off to get Kawhi and Giannis to come here together.

mafra

Legend
I?m not stupid. I know this franchise will never sign a star free agent while Dolan owns the team.

But...spend the next 2 seasons turning RJ and MRob into stars and change the culture here. Then, you open up the massive cap space again in 2021 and you pitch your ass off to get Kawhi and Giannis to come here together.

I don?t believe it?s necessarily Dolan... it?s the fact this team has sucked for 20 years.

If this group comes together, they will flock to MSG.

But the losing and the negative press, along with Melo treatment and Oakley...

Toss in the enormous city and state taxes and cost of living, the frigid temps...

Then there?s the press... the media... and, let?s be honest, this Lebron generation of players are mentally soft... in terms of having testicular fortitude to earn things on their own... they fear this ?franchise savior? tag.

What I?m trying to say, is they are extremely self-conscious about their place in history, their legacy and standing amongst their peers, that they want to microwave their brand and find shortest route to multiple titles...

They want to equal what MJ did but don?t want the burden to do it by themselves... they seek comfort in numbers and want to mitigate all risks...

It?s the Video game generation that wants to create their own super teams, get out ahead of the narrative.

This different approach has made these cats run from NY... not bc of Dolan... but bc dolan?s organization can?t offer them what they seek...

So, without a clear path to ensure multiple Conf Finals appearances, all the other stuff (taxes, weather, losing) takes Knicks off the table completely.

If RJ-MRob, Randle and dSJ put this team back in the map... stars will come running.

I don?t care tho... I want this slow broil rebuild now. Then say NO to these guys.

Clippers are out on Kawhi. People can laugh at us, but this offseason is devastating for the Clippers who with Balmer and Doc seemed like a franchise on the rise.

Down between Toronto and Lakers. Kawhi reportedly wants Lakers but is concerned about compatibility of big 3. Drake at Raptor meetings and is offering to include Kawhi with his record label, which is weird.

tiger0330

Legend
Clippers are out on Kawhi. People can laugh at us, but this offseason is devastating for the Clippers who with Balmer and Doc seemed like a franchise on the rise.

Down between Toronto and Lakers. Kawhi reportedly wants Lakers but is concerned about compatibility of big 3. Drake at Raptor meetings and is offering to include Kawhi with his record label, which is weird.
Clips still not out of the running ‘til he says no. Unlike the Lakers they didn’t stand still waiting for Kawhi, got a 1st Magruder, Moe Harkless 2 decent players. No one has taken a shot at Boogie yet with Woj saying no one wants him even for a 1 yr 5M deal, if Clips don’t get KL I’d take a shot at Cuz for a 1 yr cheap deal.

Clips still not out of the running ?til he says no. Unlike the Lakers they didn?t stand still waiting for Kawhi, got a 1st Magruder, Moe Harkless 2 decent players. No one has taken a shot at Boogie yet with Woj saying no one wants him even for a 1 yr 5M deal, if Clips don?t get KL I?d take a shot at Cuz for a 1 yr cheap deal.

The report that I read said that Clippers were out and that Kawhi was down to Lakers or Raptors.

The thing about the Clippers is that their supporting cast is strong now. No stars for them next offseason. Big disappointment to strike out when they could have been a legit contender with Kawhi.

If I?m them, I?m thinking trade now.

mafra

Legend
LAC have the richest owner in sports (Steve Ballmer), the ?logo? (Jerry West) is their mastermind, and Doc Rivers is the HC... they have SGA and a nice mix of prospects and vets... they made playoffs last season... and the Clippers are located in his hometown.

If Kawhi goes to the Clippers, a team has never even reached the WCf, and wins a chip... he goes down as arguably the greatest player ever.

If he goes to Lakers he?s helping to further bloat LeBron?s legacy...

I get why the lure to play with AD-LJ together in LA is enticing... win a couple more chips, LeBron retires... KL and KD carry the torch (both are about 27 years-old).

Kawhi has earned the right to join a super team since he defeated 2 of the best of them in MIA and GSW...

But I would be disappointed if the Clippers couldn?t pull off what Nets were successful in doing... then again, Lakers have players to attract others... NYK did not.

I heard that one question KL asked Lamers during meeting, was he asked Magic if he tried to trade for KL when he left SA. He probably knew the answer... Magic said he did, of course, but the price was too exorbitant. Spurs wanted 4 picks and a bunch of players...

KL has to be thinking to himself, ?ok, well, that?s the price you paid for AD. So, before you signed LeBron or traded for AD, you wouldn?t pay the cost to bring me home and that meant I got shipped out of the country, banished to TOR, but now you want me to take less money to come join LJ and AD and bail you out? Come to an org with a dysfunctional owner and tenable coaching situation, to a team that hasn?t made playoffs in years??

I believe the meeting with LAK was a courtesy meeting, just like Perry believes his meeting with us was.

I wouldn?t be shocked if he decided to join that team... but staying another year in TOR, to defend title and qualify for 10 year super max, and keeping NYC/LA options open for 12-24 months.. or going the LAC, with everything they possess (on and off the court)... those seem like the more likely scenarios.

Wow, I thought Clippers were out, but now they do this. They lose SGA and either trade away or swap every 1st round pick for what feels like a decade to get Paul George.

PG and Kawhi vs Lebron and AD. Going to be interesting.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Yup so much for the NBA rumor mill:). So when the game of musical chairs stopped the Knicks were left standing:(. So what did this years' NBA free agency teach us? NBA superstars don't want to go to losing, badly run franchises with a terrible owner to be the savior(Knicks). Franchises like that don't even get a meeting. Instead NBA superstars will align themselves with well run franchises on a winning trajectory. The "Knicks Tank" rolled over and crushed our chances in the best NBA free agency Summer in years. So I am officially off "Team Tank." No more rooting for loses and ineptitude. No more rooting more counting lottery balls and crying about how "1 or 2 wins" cost us a spot or two in the lottery. Our one good lottery pick got traded(Porzingis), Knits is a bust, and Knox is still a question mark. All that losing with next to nothing to showed for it. NOTHING. Throw in a question mark for a coach, questionable front office, and a crappy owner and there you have it. Instead of KD, Kyrie, Kwahi, or any or worthwhile free agent, you end up with Julius Randle and a bunch of JAGS(just another guys). The allure of playing in the Garden is lore from yesteryear. NBA stars are well under 40 so they don't remember or care about playing in MSG. Instead this generation of stars want to work for good ownership and play for winning franchises. Please don't sell us any more wolf tickets James Dolan and Co. about "attracting quality free agents" and all that other nonsense. Put a competent team on the floor instead of trying to LOSE 60 games a season. Stop throwing NBA royalty(Charles Oakley) out of the building for pointing out the obvious. Stop acting like a bunch of clowns that know better than the rest of us. Stop asking us to trust you when you have done NOTHING TO EARN OR DESERVE OUR TRUST. Shut up and get your act together or this nonsense will keep happening over and over and over again.

tiger0330

Legend
Absolutely stunning news. I feel bad for the Raps fans not only losing KL but Danny Green as well, they won their championship which I guess is worth the price of the 1 year rental of two starters that got them their rings.

For the NBA I'm glad he chose the Clips and not the Lakers. Sets up a more competitive NBA WC with Kawhi on the Clips instead of joining the Lakers.

Mammoth shift this offseason in the competitive balance of the NBA with all these stars changing teams.

Will the Raps go from winning the championship to missing the playoffs next year.

Will Russ try to force his way out of OKC to join the Lakers next.

Is this the end of the Warriors dynasty? Will they miss the playoffs next year.

Makes me salty as a Knicks fan seeing all these stars change teams and the Knicks were not even in play for one of them. Dark day for Knicks fans when you traded away your franchise player for cap space and you come away with Julius Randle. Those Dallas picks are also far into the future and if Cuban is right about Porzingis and Doncic they might be crappy late first round picks. We hope one of the young guys is a star but after seeing RJ yesterday it might be years before that happens.