2019 NBA Free Agency Thread

mafra

Legend
I do know they wanted to preserve cap space for 2021, when Giannis is up. There?s nobody worthwhile next summer.... so I imagine, barring a trade, this is our team next 2 years:

DSJ/Payton
RJ/Dotson/Trier/Ellington/Knits
Bullock/Knox/Iggy/Wilks
Randle/Portis
MRob/Taj

I see a well-balanced roster with potential. No star, but with gritty vets, former lottery picks and potential stud prospects... if coached properly and they buy into a team system... no reason we can?t be this year?s version of what Nets were last year...

Battle for 7-8 seed and show NBA we have talent.

Or... Randle and DSJ flop, Mitch a liability despite the blocks and RJ an inefficient checker... Knox a Knits flop.

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks signed:

Julius Randle
Taj Gibson
Bobby “KO “Portis
Reggie Bullock
Wayne Ellington
Elfred Payton

They maintain cap flexibility for summer of 2021...

Have young core of DSJ, RJ, Mitch, Knox, Dotson, and have Knitiklina as trade bait...

They also have 6 first round picks next 4 drafts.

Isn’t this the correct way to build a roster?

5 kids plus Knits
6 free agents
A few unknowns in Allen, Iggy, Wilks

This is your 2019-2020 team.

Compete boys!

Don’t screw around Fizdale with a multitude of rotations!

TANK TANK TANK .. The Knicks Black Front Office Shiiited in their pants on July 1st. And it STINKS awful !!!

mafra

Legend
While the Knicks had hoped they would land Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving in free agency, the two superstar free agents reportedly knew "months ago" they would not join the Knicks, according to Bleacher Report's Howard Beck.

Durant and Irving agreed to sign four-year max contracts with the Brooklyn Nets on Sunday, a move that prompted Knicks president Steve Mills, who cleared enough cap space for two max free agent slots with the Kristaps Porzingis trade, to release a statement empathizing with "disappointed" fans.

The two superstars knew prior to the 2018-19 season that they would be teaming up this summer, Beck writes.

The two of them previously discussed teaming up with the Knicks, with SNY's Ian Begley hearing throughout the season that they were at the top of their desired wish list. However their poor season that led them to the NBA's worst record impacted their views, according to Beck.

"And neither Irving nor Durant were eager to wear the 'savior' mantle that's thrust upon every star player, coach or executive who lands at Madison Square Garden," Beck wrote.

In fact, Durant "never considered going to the Knicks alone," according to Beck.

Instead, they chose the Nets, who went from a 20-win team in 2016-17 to a 42-win team that made the playoffs last year. One of thosee reasons: GM Sean Marks.

"The stars were impressed by Marks, a San Antonio Spurs disciple who favors a low-key, no-nonsense, egoless management style," Beck wrote.

Durant's Achilles injury, which he suffered during Game 5 of the NBA Finals and will likely keep him out for the 2019-20 season, had no impact on their decision, as Beck writes the two of them had an "outline of a plan" in place prior to the playoffs.

Instead of landing two players who have combined for three NBA titles and 16 All-Star Game appearances, the Knicks have turned their attention elsewhere. They agreed to terms with Julius Randle (three years, $63 million), Taj Gibson (two years, $20 million), Bobby Portis (two years, $31 million), Wayne Ellington (two years, $16 million) and Elfrid Peyton (two years, $16 million).

mafra

Legend
Durant has an extensive history of soft-tissue injuries, from calf and hamstring strains to ankle sprains. He missed most of the 2014-15 season because of a broken foot and then played 72, 62 and 68 games over the next three seasons.

According to [Jeff] Stotts? database, Durant has missed 103 regular-season games with lower-extremity injuries, including the broken foot, ankle sprains on both sides, a left knee sprain and various other strains.

?He is injury-prone,? said the doctor. ?How can we not say that at this point??
Even if Kevin Durant didn?t lose too much of a step, he likely would have been on a minutes restriction and would not have been able to carry the Knicks. Beck writes:

?He?s not going to be an 82-game-a-year guy,? said a doctor working for another NBA team. ?I always say that they can be the same player in smaller doses. So, fewer minutes, fewer games. You will see flashes. The sustained greatness is really, really tough.?

Durant, the doctor said, ?can still be a really, really great player. But it?s going to be in 28 minutes, and it?s going to be not in back-to-backs. And it?s going to be saving himself for the playoffs.?

Kyrie has been plagued by bouts of knee soreness and pain dating to the 2015 playoffs. He missed the 2018 playoffs and required a pair of surgeries after the screws in his left knee had caused an infection. Can you say load maintenance?

mafra

Legend
Not too long ago, the Nets were in an even worse position than the Knicks are in now. In the infamous trade with the Celtics, Brooklyn traded three first-round picks in exchange for an aging Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Jason Terry. Within two years, every player from the trade was gone, and the Nets had nothing to show for it but early playoff exits. Frankly, the Nets sucked ? and they weren?t even able to tank because they didn?t own their first-round picks.

The Nets only had one option ? take chances on as many guys as possible, accumulate as many assets as possible, and try to see if they could acquire some future pieces by the time they got their picks back. They traded Thaddeus Young for the pick that became Caris LeVert. They signed Joe Harris and Spencer Dinwiddie, who were in danger of falling out of the league entirely. They traded Bojan Bogdanovic for a first-round pick that became Jarrett Allen. They traded Brook Lopez and took on the contract of Timofey Mozgov to take a shot at D?Angelo Russell. They took on Demarre Carroll for two picks, which became Dzanan Musa and Rodions Kurucs.

There were also countless players they acquired who didn?t pan out, like Jahlil Okafor, Chris McCullough, and Anthony Bennett. All you can do is take a chance on guys and hope some become good, all while developing a good culture.

To win in the NBA, you need a superstar. But you don?t necessarily need to develop that superstar. You just need to attract one. The Nets weren?t world-beaters. Russell was an injury-replacement All-Star. The Nets simply became good enough to the point where they were attractive to Durant and Irving. The Nets? process was about four or five years long. The Knicks are essentially one year into rebuilding the ?right way.? The worst team in the league truly shouldn?t have been in the running for players of this level to begin with. The fact the Knicks seemingly had a chance at all is a win.

tiger0330

Legend
I've been over KD the day he tore his Achilles but what happened to Kawhi? Mills and Perry shot the wad before he even made his decision while the Lakers and Clips are keeping their powder dry until he does, just another lie from this front office that we were going to get a meeting based on Mills relationship with KL uncle. Little chance we could get him but the Knicks couldn't at least wait a week, make their pitch and then sign the guys we signed. Most of those guys other than Randle would have been available second week in July imo. Maybe when Mills was in LA to sign guys he tried to get on Kawhi's calendar and Kawhi's camp told him don't bother you're wasting both our times, that would be an epic fail as well.

From the day that Craig Robinson said the Knicks had the recipe for the secret sauce to develop their young players and said it was a secret when asked what it was, was the day Knicks fans should have know this front office was full of crap. Perry might be the only straight arrow in the bunch.

mafra

Legend
The Lakers believe they are firmly in the lead in the Kawhi Leonard sweepstakes, according to sources of Marc Stein of the New York Times.

Also, Andre Iggy and Danny Green to follow KL.

Wow. Nobody winning next 2-3 years... if this is true, thank g-d we didn?t sign the 2 max buffoons ... GL Brooklyn.

tiger0330

Legend
The Lakers believe they are firmly in the lead in the Kawhi Leonard sweepstakes, according to sources of Marc Stein of the New York Times.

Also, Andre Iggy and Danny Green to follow KL.

Wow. Nobody winning next 2-3 years... if this is true, thank g-d we didn’t sign the 2 max buffoons ... GL Brooklyn.
I said I was envious of the Lakers turning over their roster when they got AD. Get KL and it just makes me salty what the Lakers could do in a few years and leave the Knicks holding the bag again. Man I hope the Lakers come up short in getting KL but none of these top guys seem to care about getting the better contract with their present teams.

tiger0330

Legend
Noah Vonleh signs with Minny.

Willie Caulie Stein with GSW.
Again makes me wonder about Perry with the TWolves playing musical chairs with Taj and NV. Vonleh signed a one year deal for all or part of the MLE or the bi-annual. Why couldn't we keep him

He can hit the 3, Taj can't.

Vonleh 25 Taj 34.

Both short term deals, Taj 20M Vonleh less than 10M.

Makes me wonder about Perry.

Again makes me wonder about Perry with the TWolves playing musical chairs with Taj and NV. Vonleh signed a one year deal for all or part of the MLE or the bi-annual. Why couldn't we keep him

He can hit the 3, Taj can't.

Vonleh 25 Taj 34.

Both short term deals, Taj 20M Vonleh less than 10M.

Makes me wonder about Perry.

I like Taj. He is one of the last true Thibodeau guys hanging around the league. We overpaid him to come in and teach some of the young guys how to do things.

Something about wanting 2 year deals with a team option on the 2nd year that makes me think strongly affected which guys we signed.

Personally, I?m just glad we found someone other than Lance Thomas to be a veteran presence.

Jared Dudley going to the Lakers is perfect. He has been Brooklyn?s number one big talker all this year and now he abandons ship to go to the Lakers because he wants to ?compete for a championship?.

But Jared, your boys in Brooklyn, they did everything the ?right way?. Aren?t they a championship caliber team now?

Or, they?re not? Huh.

tiger0330

Legend
Our guys who are now former found homes. I think all of them did

Fizdale with his "We're going to get you right", got Mudiay a one year, I assume vet minimum deal smh. Better than going to China but not much better.

I haven't heard much from our coach lately esp about FA, I guess we might see him as a guest announcer in SL.

Broadway

All Star
Jared Dudley going to the Lakers is perfect. He has been Brooklyn?s number one big talker all this year and now he abandons ship to go to the Lakers because he wants to ?compete for a championship?.

But Jared, your boys in Brooklyn, they did everything the ?right way?. Aren?t they a championship caliber team now?

Or, they?re not? Huh.

Wherever he lays his hat is his home, that's who he's been. He's a career journeyman

Nothing he says carries weight. Richard Jefferson supposedly wants to come back out of retirement now(not sure how serious)

Wilson Chandler to Brooklyn for a deal of about 2.5 million. Chandler is an asset off the bench. He has pieced together a great career. They might need quite a bit from him with Durant out.

Wherever he lays his hat is his home, that's who he's been. He's a career journeyman

Nothing he says carries weight. Richard Jefferson supposedly wants to come back out of retirement now(not sure how serious)

True, but Dudley was a big part of the character of that Nets team this last season. D?Angelo Russell and DeMarre Carroll are gone. At least they still have Spencer Dinwiddie to keep stirring things up on Twitter.

tiger0330

Legend
True, but Dudley was a big part of the character of that Nets team this last season. D’Angelo Russell and DeMarre Carroll are gone. At least they still have Spencer Dinwiddie to keep stirring things up on Twitter.
With Durant out the whole year, they took one step back in the hope that they get to the next level when he returns. Not sure what the Lakers paid JD but if he took the minimum he would have been a nice piece to have as that vet presence. He was the biggest guy on the floor in some of those games when Kenny went small and actually won some games with that lineup. I mean I like Taj and while he never used athleticism and won't lose it at 34, getting a guy like Dudley would have added shooting and vet savvy.

With Durant out the whole year, they took one step back in the hope that they get to the next level when he returns. Not sure what the Lakers paid JD but if he took the minimum he would have been a nice piece to have as that vet presence. He was the biggest guy on the floor in some of those games when Kenny went small and actually won some games with that lineup. I mean I like Taj and while he never used athleticism and won't lose it at 34, getting a guy like Dudley would have added shooting and vet savvy.

Nets are going to be playing next season without 5 of the 9 guys who played the most minutes for them this last season.

Broadway

All Star

Dudley signed for the minimum. Most signings here on out will be for this amount. Jeff Green did likewise with Utah as did WCS and Robinson for GSW