2019 NBA Free Agency Thread

jimkcchief88

All Star
He had a pretty good thing going until he grabbed your guy Melo and derailed the whole thing.

This was a move both teams had to make.... HOU could?ve brought same team back and see if they can go all the way now that KD is gone... but I guess reports of a rift were legitimate.

OKC needed this after trading PG... Adams is next (BOS?).

I bet they stretch Paul, freeing CP to join LeBron in LA.

I?m cool with NYK direction.

What can Knox-RJ-MItch be in 2022? After 3 years playing together, entering their age 23 seasons?

We have vets to help them and lottery tickets in Randle, DSJ, and Portis....

We have picks and cap space.

There are a plethora of 2 stud teams... let them battle for title next 2 seasons and we?ll build... come 2021-2022 season... we ready to roll.

Well we have no choice than to root for the JV squad that our crappy front office has put together and hope that somewhere along the line the worm turns for us. I mean at some point the law of averages takes over. It only took 100 years for the Cubs to finally win a World Series. Us older Knicks fans may not live to see a Championship celebration in the Garden:(

tiger0330

Legend
Most Rockets fans were not Westbrook fans so they wouldn't be happy if it were an even exchange of the 2 players. Morey must be desperate watching the NBA world pass him by this off-season making no significant signings this off-season. I posted earlier that I questioned how a CP3 Harden and Russ trio would work but you have to question if a Russ Harden duo makes them more than a 1st round playoff team in the WC.
A preliminary poll I saw had 3 out of 4 Rox fans liking this trade despite Morey trading away all those draft picks.

mafra

Legend
Well we have no choice than to root for the JV squad that our crappy front office has put together and hope that somewhere along the line the worm turns for us. I mean at some point the law of averages takes over. It only took 100 years for the Cubs to finally win a World Series. Us older Knicks fans may not live to see a Championship celebration in the Garden:(

Charlie Ward (the QB who won the Heisman) was the last first round pick by NYK to sign a second contract. Think about that... 25 years and no first rounder we selected was worthy keeping around!

tiger0330

Legend
CP3 can't be happy being traded to a rebuilding OKC team looking for a ring at 34. OKC might be able to deal him with all draft assets they have collected, I doubt they stretch him with that much money left on his deal.
Woj saying Rox tried to send CP3 to a team he preferred but ultimately will let OKC handle it.

Being reported that there was little interest among NBA teams in trading for Westbrook and that Miami was basically offering Goran Dragic and other contracts to match salary for him.

Morey and the Rockets sound like they bid against themselves, eventually agreeing to a deal where they were sending 1st round picks further out (2024 and 2026) instead of their 2020 1st round pick, which they wanted to do, obviously because they expect to be a playoff team this next season.

tiger0330

Legend
Being reported that there was little interest among NBA teams in trading for Westbrook and that Miami was basically offering Goran Dragic and other contracts to match salary for him.

Morey and the Rockets sound like they bid against themselves, eventually agreeing to a deal where they were sending 1st round picks further out (2024 and 2026) instead of their 2020 1st round pick, which they wanted to do, obviously because they expect to be a playoff team this next season.
I think with Morey he had to think signing CP3 was a mistake. Me and Mafra commented how he wasn't a difference maker in the playoffs and you want your highest paid player to be a difference maker. Also Harden has 4 yrs left on his contract, same as Russ and they are both about the same age so Morey has extended his championship window by trading CP3.

Now we'll see if a team of Russ, Harden, Gordon, PJ and Capela has enough to compete in the west. I think they stand a better chance than with CP3 despite questions of compatibility and fit between Russ and Harden.

mafra

Legend
ESPN gave the Rox a C and the Thunder a B for this blockbuster trade.

Everybody loves Presti and OKC now... Traded PG13, RW, and Grant for about 8 first rounders...

What nobody is reporting tho, is the facts of life...

For example, did you know... since 2010... just counting the 2010-2017 drafts (8 drafts)...
Of the 320 players selected from the 21st pick to end of second round... there were only 6 all stars (Jimmy Butler, Isaiah Thomas, Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, Rudy Gobert, and Jocic). 1 player won a title and maybe 1 is a potential MVP.

This time in 2012, following OKC?s Final loss, when they had 3 MVP caliber players all under 24... now they are here with nothing to show for making playoffs 9/10 years.

Draft is difficult even when loaded with tons of top 10 picks. Look at Philly... they ended up with Embiid and Simmons and mostly trash, and they had 8 lottery picks!

Sure, they flipped 2 dudes for a third option... but even Simmons, in his 3rd year in the NBA, and ben simmons shot 2 for 25 (shots beyond 16 feet) all last season.... I repeat, He made 2 shots beyond 15 feet in 82 games. Is that even possible?

So, let?s tap brakes and think OKC is a few years away.... if they?ll lucky, they net a player or 2 in the 2024-2026 drafts. Yippee!

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Everybody loves Presti and OKC now... Traded PG13, RW, and Grant for about 8 first rounders...

What nobody is reporting tho, is the facts of life...

For example, did you know... since 2010... just counting the 2010-2017 drafts (8 drafts)...
Of the 320 players selected from the 21st pick to end of second round... there were only 6 all stars (Jimmy Butler, Isaiah Thomas, Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, Rudy Gobert, and Jocic). 1 player won a title and maybe 1 is a potential MVP.

This time in 2012, following OKC’s Final loss, when they had 3 MVP caliber players all under 24... now they are here with nothing to show for making playoffs 9/10 years.

Draft is difficult even when loaded with tons of top 10 picks. Look at Philly... they ended up with Embiid and Simmons and mostly trash, and they had 8 lottery picks!

Sure, they flipped 2 dudes for a third option... but even Simmons, in his 3rd year in the NBA, and ben simmons shot 2 for 25 (shots beyond 16 feet) all last season.... I repeat, He made 2 shots beyond 15 feet in 82 games. Is that even possible?

So, let’s tap brakes and think OKC is a few years away.... if they’ll lucky, they net a player or 2 in the 2024-2026 drafts. Yippee!

Well I hope all of this is about to change otherwise we're going nowhere with our young draftees. It really isn't Presti but an ownership going to the Tax bubble and it bursting on them. They aren't a franchise who wants to commit to spending and it's hurting their long term end game. Aside from this Presti is a magician when it comes to trades and building a team.

The'll be fine yrs to come if he can duplicate what he's done before and hopefully the financial backing will follow

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Well I hope of this is about to change otherwise we're going nowhere with our young draftees. It really isn't Presti but an ownership going to the Tax bubble and it bursting on them. They aren't a franchise who wants to commit to spending and it's hurting their long term end game. Aside from this Presti is a magician when it comes to trades and building a team.

The'll be fine yrs to come if he can duplicate what he's done before and hopefully the financial backing will follow

He?s credited with encouraging SA to draft Parker; but, with SEA, going back to trading Ray Allen and Lewis for picks... he?s been in that spot since 2007 with zero rings to show for it.

He was fortunate POR took Oden over KD, but he did draft RW and Harden...

But the point is, just as BOS has proven... multiple picks mean little if they fall outside top 20. You have basically less than 5% odds of drafting an impact player after 20... which is why, I personally believe, it?s requisite that a team find a gem after 20 ALONG with 2 hits in the lottery... this is really only way to draft your way to success.

With MRob, Trier, and Iggy... we may have hope.

Teams with multiple lottery picks even struggle to rebuild.

Broadway

All Star
He’s credited with encouraging SA to draft Parker; but, with SEA, going back to trading Ray Allen and Lewis for picks... he’s been in that spot since 2007 with zero rings to show for it.

He was fortunate POR took Oden over KD, but he did draft RW and Harden...

But the point is, just as BOS has proven... multiple picks mean little if they fall outside top 20. You have basically less than 5% odds of drafting an impact player after 20... which is why, I personally believe, it’s requisite that a team find a gem after 20 ALONG with 2 hits in the lottery... this is really only way to draft your way to success.

With MRob, Trier, and Iggy... we may have hope.

Teams with multiple lottery picks even struggle to rebuild.

Again the "nothing to show for it" has a lot to do with Clay Bennett not willing to pay Tax to have a championship team...which is why Harden left to the Rockets via trade. OKC offered $58mil when he was entitled to $80mil. They've never really recovered since then. Tearing down their team again because of the Tax.

I believe this was a reason both PG13 and supposedly Westbrook asked out early. They started talking Lux Tax issues as soon as their season was over and Steven Adams and Dennis Schroeder names were mentioned in trade rumors. You can't be telling your players, you're willing to do whatever it takes to win but not want Top Payroll. This is a mixed message

He has enough picks if necessary he can orchestrate another trade to move up in draft or find that up and coming premier player. Then when your young players show a little promise and win gms if the cap is managed properly, impact players(Horford, Milsap, Brogdon) will want to come play with them

mafra

Legend
Meanwhile, in less than two weeks, we?ve all witnessed perhaps the craziest offseason in NBA history...

From the ping pong balls and algorithms of the draft lottery section to the 6:00 PM free agent frenzy that began hardly a fortnight ago...

There was the 3.5 billion dollars shelled out during the first forty-eight hours of free agent signings, 3 MVP calibers players traded (AD, PG13, RW).

With the slaying of the dastardly GSW, pods of 2 all-star duopolies of max level talents have sprouted up all over the NBA landscape.

Did the Knicks sign a franchise-altering talent? Did they make a trade for those MVP caliber players? Nope. Aside from misleading rumors that amounted to nothing more than a blatant disrespect, which stung worse bc of the nature of its cross-town betrayal.

Still...

?Possessing the most cap space to sign two max contract worthy players was a goal this summer. But if this goal were not met, this period of Free Agency would be considered a failure.

But, instead, the Knicks went out and made the best out of an unfavorable situation: they signed Julius Randle, Bobby Portis, Elfrid Payton, Taj Gibson, Wayne Ellington, and Marcus Morris. In comparison to their 17-win roster last season, this is an upgrade.

While a majority of these additions are not known for their defense, they do bring offensive versatility that this team desperately needed. The additions of Taj Gibson and Marcus Morris will give the Knicks a much-needed boost on the defensive end (and toughness) moving forward.

Coach Fizdale will have to decide which players to place in his rotation since the Knicks are loaded with forwards and guards this upcoming season.

Overall, the Knicks did a decent job at rounding out their roster with vets and young, versatile players.

Furthermore, the Knicks? new contracts were mainly one or two-year deals, putting themselves in another position to continue making savvy roster changes, trades, and prepare for the 2021 Free Agency class to potentially sign a star or two.

For the first time this century, the New York Knicks have a bright future ahead of them with a solid roster and the flexibility to make changes in two seasons. Prioritizing on developing their young talent is the smartest move going forward in preparation for building a contender in the future.?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/empirewritesback.com/2019/07/12/new-york-knicks-patience-is-the-best-option/amp/

Methinks, if it weren?t for this Uber-Wacky atmosphere of the shifting of balances of power, tee-tottering every-any-elsewhere,
we would impressed with the fortitude of a front office to stick with the plan...

Make the most of your high lottery pick, find a rotation player in the second round, and build a competitor roster, with the focus primarily being on the development of the assets this team previously invested in, and for Perry to convince 7 proven NBA players to agree to sign for (in essence) 1 year deals... preserving future flexibility in choices.. bravo!

Sucks no Zion or anything of note. I know the ridicule is coming, and probably a bunch more losing. Still, at least we understand the direction.

And, given we?ve suffered under Dolan and Mills for two decades, this even minor victory in the name of common sense makes me feel hopeful.

The upcoming season will be fun to watch, with everything wide open. The WC is gonna be brutal. Wide open. The Eastern Conf is a lot more easier to make waves in.

Maybe things come together and they fight and claw to 42 wins. Battle for 8th seed, and maybe make a stand in first round.

Maybe they win 30 and we get another lottery ticket to cash in...

Oh, and let?s not forget Reggie Bullock is still (most likely) signing here as well.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Rich Paul, the agent for LeBron James and Anthony Davis, has always wanted a client on the Knicks because New York is the nation?s biggest market.

If forward Marcus Morris reneges on his verbal agreement with the Spurs for a two-year deal for $20 million, Paul will get his wish.

Paul, on the cover of Sports Illustrated last month, was at the Knicks? Tarrytown facility the day before last month?s draft with a draft prospect, point guard Darius Garland, for a workout. He had hoped the Knicks would trade back in the draft to scoop up Garland, who went to the Cavaliers at No. 5.

According to a source, Paul tried to get New Orleans to trade Davis to the Knicks last month as hard as he tried to get him dealt to the Lakers.

Paul, according to the source, values the New York market and that?s why Davis could be in play in 2020 as a free agent if things don?t work out in Los Angeles.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/10/behind-marcus-morris-push-to-knicks-that-has-many-angry/

I guess Reggie Bullock?s issue is plantar fasciitis.

Dotson?s 1.5 million dollar contract for this season will become guaranteed at midnight.

mafra

Legend
Reggie Bullock has officially signed his two-year deal with the Knicks.

Bullock initially agreed to a two-year, $21 million deal with the Knicks, but after an unanticipated health issue was discovered during his physical, the Knicks and Bullock re-worked the deal on a more team-friendly salary. He reportedly signed for less than the $4.7 million exception and his contract has a player option on Year-2, but we still don't know exactly what ailment he's dealing with.

????

I?m trying to decide what is odder... a team signing 7 free agents in 1 offseason or a team signing 7 guys and not holding an introductory presser?

Reggie Bullock has officially signed his two-year deal with the Knicks.

Bullock initially agreed to a two-year, $21 million deal with the Knicks, but after an unanticipated health issue was discovered during his physical, the Knicks and Bullock re-worked the deal on a more team-friendly salary. He reportedly signed for less than the $4.7 million exception and his contract has a player option on Year-2, but we still don't know exactly what ailment he's dealing with.

????

I?m trying to decide what is odder... a team signing 7 free agents in 1 offseason or a team signing 7 guys and not holding an introductory presser?

I think that source made a mistake. Pretty sure Bullock?s 2nd year is a team option, not a player option. Our team gave no one player options.

I read Bullock has plantar fasciitis. Must be pretty bad if he went from 21 million to less than 9 million over a possible 2 years.

mafra

Legend
Ben Simmons gets 5/170 extension... he?s never made a 3-pointer in his career and shot 3-28 on shots outside 15 feet last season.

And he?s a 58% FT shooter.

And people say RJ can?t shoot.

Ben Simmons gets 5/170 extension... he?s never made a 3-pointer in his career and shot 3-28 on shots outside 15 feet last season.

And he?s a 58% FT shooter.

And people say RJ can?t shoot.

I don?t think Simmons has even ever attempted an NBA 3-pointer. That?s when you know your shooting sucks, when you don?t even bother to try.