What is wrong with the Knicks??!!

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Don't we all have this in the back of our minds, I mean i know we keep seeing the sliver lining and say yes we are going the right way, building and whatever.....but what is so wrong with an organization that has MSG as the home court, arguably the best fans/atmosphere in the NBA, and Tons of Cash; that no player wants to come and play in??!!!

is it really Dolan? but what he has to do with anything? since few years he is not doing anything??!!

what is it??!! It is really sad to see a team with the same position like us (The Lakers) are landing players left and right, and they might even land Kwahi?!! so what is it, tell me?!!

Since Ewing left the Knicks, we saw all the NBA teams going through the cycle of rebuild/compete/mediocre and repeat, except the Knicks, we kept being mediocre and we can't see the end of the tunnel!!

so really, what is it?

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Like we always used to say around here: Fish stinks from the head. Bad ownership+bad front office=crappy team:(

but the front office is good somehow, maybe not the best, but reasonable at least, and if you are refering to Dolan, what the hell is he doing to have that effect?

mafra

Legend
Dolan and his paranoia.

Free agents are front runners... they go where they want... and opt for places that have proven they can win in.

Knicks have been worst team in NBA last 20 years.

I believe KI wanted Brooklyn and he convinced KD to join him there.

I don?t want to hear about Giannis and Towns. The only hope a free agent comes is if RJ is a stud and we develop at least another all star caliber player with that.

paris401

Starter
i think i just mite do a rip van winkle and sleep for the next '2' years avoiding this site and the knicks...

mafra

Legend
i think i just mite do a rip van winkle and sleep for the next '2' years avoiding this site and the knicks...

Let?s root for this NYK team being better than Nets this upcoming season. DSJ-RJ-Randle are worth the price of time to commit watching these 3. Maybe... just maybe... core of a contender down the road.

mafra

Legend
Wow. Steve Mills strikes again...

Stephen A Smith reported today on Michael Kay show that during that 4-minute meeting KP has with the Knicks...

KP told Mills he wanted he wanted to talk to Dolan. Mills said that?s not what the owner does, that Mills is in charge of b-ball matters and KP has to chat with him.

Well, KP shunned Phil so you can imagine what compelled him to walk out of that room.

Jannis, Kp?s bro and agent, never requested a trade. They simply wanted to talk you Dolan (probably to say get rid of Mills).

Finally, DeAndre Jordan not happy with how Fizdale handled his minutes and playing time.

So, there you have it... truth comes out and it always leads back to Steve Mills.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
Wow. Steve Mills strikes again...

Stephen A Smith reported today on Michael Kay show that during that 4-minute meeting KP has with the Knicks...

KP told Mills he wanted he wanted to talk to Dolan. Mills said that’s not what the owner does, that Mills is in charge of b-ball matters and KP has to chat with him.

Well, KP shunned Phil so you can imagine what compelled him to walk out of that room.

Jannis, Kp’s bro and agent, never requested a trade. They simply wanted to talk you Dolan (probably to say get rid of Mills).

Finally, DeAndre Jordan not happy with how Fizdale handled his minutes and playing time.

So, there you have it... truth comes out and it always leads back to Steve Mills.

But what Mills did that pissed of KP? he was out the whole season, was there things that should be done better to Mills didn't do?

I am torn on the idea of free agents not coming because we are not winning or do not have good team or good managment, look at the Lakers, they are getting everybody and they are like us if not worse in everything... so what is the deal?

Paul1355

All Star
But what Mills did that pissed of KP? he was out the whole season, was there things that should be done better to Mills didn't do?

I am torn on the idea of free agents not coming because we are not winning or do not have good team or good managment, look at the Lakers, they are getting everybody and they are like us if not worse in everything... so what is the deal?

Phil Jackson?s handling of KP screwed everything up and unfortunately Mills was his partner so having him around didn?t help.

It was doomed once word got out that Jackson considered trading KP for picks to Boston.

Kendrick Perkins called KP a diva, Knicks get two 1st rd picks, DSJ who could start again and is a future pg, and cap space that turned into Randle, etc.

This new regime is trying to rebuild a whole brand. It needs time. They are doing things organically and small market team like. It?s an effective strategy but difficult with our unrealistic m demands as fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mafra

Legend
Let?s not forget these bums stretched Noah for no particular reason... instead of swallowing bullet (or attaching him to KP) they decided to ensure that his contract remained on the books for double the time at half the cost. Stupid!

And, yes! Mills has been around, for the most part, the last 2 worthless decades. He slithers and reinvents himself... a true survivor. So, when he walks in with Perry to meet with KP... Porzingis is like, really bruh!

Hey, it was nice Fiz flew out to Latvia but KP wanted assurances from the head of the snake ? the owner ? that probably things would change if KP committed long term.

I wonder why?

KP is part of the social media generation and I imagine the Knicks insane media policy (and other crazy Dolan ?rules?) has KP apprehensive. After all, he just watched Phil undermine Melo...
So he prolly wanted assurances that Mills wouldn?t be afforded the same leeway.

Who knows, really...

But, here we are... I believe Lee, Noah and Timmy should be expiring deals... We could?ve still grabbed Randle.

Would you prefer having Taj, Portis, Bullock or KP?

Would Payton-Timmy-RJ-KP-Randle be nice for this upcoming season?

It has to be revisited bc we didn?t use cap space, so attaching contracts was a waste...

It must be reviewed bc we are now a team without a star... KP could explode this season and average 25/8 while protecting the rim.

Heck, we aren?t even sold on Smith, another injury-prone lottery bust with low
B-ball IQ.

They could have called his bluff and dared KP to leave. After all, after they decline all of these team options next year... where will NY be? In the same place anyway... NO KP, no stars and plenty of cap space.

So what did Mills really accomplish?

They wanted space. They got it.
They wanted a young asset... I don?t believe DSJ is remotely close to a future
Quality starter in this league.
They got draft pick. Great, let?s hope the 22nd and 26th picks in the 2021 and 2023 drafts really turn out to be something better than half the lottery picks Mills has been here when drafting.

The events that took place last weekend officially declared the trade a failure. Now we hope we survive that mistake and don?t watch KP become a perennial
all star and hope that something we brought back is helpful for the RJ era.

tiger0330

Legend
Let’s root for this NYK team being better than Nets this upcoming season. DSJ-RJ-Randle are worth the price of time to commit watching these 3. Maybe... just maybe... core of a contender down the road.

This team is better than last years squad, if you watched last year you have to watch this year. Put the new guys out there and get off to a fast start, give the fan base some hope that we made progress from last year and that we might actually make the playoffs early in the year.

mafra

Legend
If we were MEM or SAC or most any other team, think Philly a while back...

We have hope and something to root for.

Problem is this .org has been rotten for 30 of previous 40 years... we?re tired and inpatient. We were teased for months about Zion possibility and KD plus 1...

That inflated expectation has us feeling sadness... but if you forget about the things you can?t control, and focus on what you can control... Joy returns.

I believe RJ and Mitch will blossom into legit starters, if not all stars

I think Knox can become a Rashad Lewis type third option...

I think we might get luck on either DSJ or Randle.

And... we have all our picks.

I can?t blame them for not bringing in contracts for picks, bc they want to build a competitive team and are trying to keep the locker room positive.

Let?s hope we flip some of these vets come FEB for a pick or two...

Greg Anthony?s kid is a PG (at UNC as a freshman)... he?s being discussed as a top pick...

I worry about Fizdale tho. We shall see.

mafra

Legend
How a consulting firm's influence led to confusion and paranoia on the Carmelo Anthony-led Knicks
During the 2013-14 season, a firm led to head-scratching decisions like not having coaches watch film with players for a while, says a former assistant coach
By Ian Begley | 11:32AM
Share:

Ian Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

For Dave Hopla, coaching with the Knicks was a dream come true. The assistant coach, who focused on shooting and player development for New York from 2012-2014, used to arrive at Madison Square Garden early every day to shoot.

"As a kid from New Jersey, I always dreamed of playing at the Garden. And I had it as my own personal playground," he said after an appearance at the NBPA/Five Star camp earlier this week.

Hopla was on staff under Mike Woodson when the Carmelo Anthony-led Knicks won 54 games and a first-round playoff series against the Boston Celtics.

He recalls that veteran group -- and the atmosphere they created at the Garden that season -- fondly.

"There was nothing like it. You had goosebumps going in there. Melo was playing so well. J.R. (Smith) was Sixth Man of the Year," Hopla said.

"We had all veterans. We had Kurt Thomas, Rasheed Wallace, Marcus Camby, Jason Kidd?. They all knew how to play. We had an unselfish group. The ball moved. The guys liked one another."

The Knicks took a step back the next season. The Andrea Bargnani trade didn't work out. Chandler, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year, missed nearly 30 games due to injury. And the 2013-14 Knicks didn't have Kidd and the other veterans that they'd leaned on at times the prior season.

"We brought in some young guys that we weren't really on board with," Hopla said.

There were probably a dozen other reasons the Knicks struggled that year. But when Hopla talked to SNY about his time with the Knicks and that frustrating 2013-14 season, he pointed to another factor in the Knicks' shortcomings: He said McKinsey & Company, a worldwide management consulting firm hired by Madison Square Garden to work with the Knicks and Rangers, had a negative impact on the coaching staff and was the source of confusion and paranoia among some players. The firm's influence led to decisions like not having coaches watch film with players and filling out seemingly endless amounts of paperwork, according to Hopla.

"We got so fed up with them," Hopla said of McKinsey & Company, which declined comment for this story when asked about their work with the Knicks in 2013-14.

Knicks owner James Dolan said in a Q&A in the New York Post in 2013 that he hired the firm to "reprocess" the Knicks and Rangers. The firm was hired before Dolan decided to fire GM Glen Grunwald, which suggests they may have had at least some influence on the decision. Grunwald was let go days before training camp opened in 2013-14. Current team president Steve Mills replaced him general manager.

The timing of the move stunned Hopla and other coaches: "(The season) just started out in a tailspin."

McKinsey & Company's influence continued throughout the season. Hopla said the consulting agency advised coaches to stop watching film with players at one point during the year.

"The players were like, 'Why aren't we watching film?' (We said), 'the McKinsey group told us,' " Hopla recalled.

Hopla said the consultants also told members of the coaching staff to fill out paperwork documenting how players performed in all workouts, a process Hopla felt was time-consuming (a second source confirms that coaches were asked to fill out the paperwork).

"I told them if we took all that time writing reports and we actually worked the players out, we would have made the playoffs," Hopla said.

Members of the consulting firm attended practices and games at home and on the road, which, according to Hopla, led to concerns from the players.

"The players started asking who they were," Hopla said. "?. They were worried about maybe they were writing reports about them. They were paranoid."

Hopla questioned why a firm without significant experience in pro basketball was allowed to influence how Knicks coaches approached aspects of their jobs.

"If the McKinsey group came in and it was Hubie Brown, Bob Knight and John Thompson, you'd listen to them," he said.

Woodson's staff, including Hopla, was fired by Phil Jackson at the end of the 2013-14 season. New York has lost at least 50 games in each season since that one. They haven't made the playoffs since 2012-13.

"I just feel bad because they deserve to have a good team in New York. And the league needs it," Hopla said. "?. I feel sorry for the fans. You keep selling hope but you're zig-zagging. You're on one plan, then you ditch that plan. Now you're on Plan E, you know?"

After missing out on top free agent targets like Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard this summer, Mills and general manager Scott Perry added Julius Randle, Bobby Portis, Marcus Morris, Elfrid Payton and other free agents on short deals. They hope that the free-agent additions will help the young core of RJ Barrett, Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson and Allonzo Trier take a step forward and, most importantly, will lead to the Knicks winning some games this season.

Hopla also touched on a couple other topics when he was asked by SNY:

On Carmelo Anthony: "I love Carmelo. He's unbelievable. He worked hard. He's a great person. I loved everything about him."

On if he's surprised Anthony hasn't signed with a team since being released by the Houston Rockets: "He should be playing. But, you know, he's got to also accept a lesser role. He's not going to the go-to guy with a team at this point. Unless he went to Charlotte, he could be the go-to guy. But he should still be in the league, the same with J.R. (Smith)."

On attending camps such as the NBPA/Five-Star camp to teach young players about shooting: "When I was a kid growing up, basketball camp was a huge part of my life. When I went to my first basketball camp, I realized how little I really knew about the game. And how many different things you can do on your own to get better. Because it's really a sport that you can get better on your own at if you know." how to practice and want to practice?. So if I can influence one camper (here with that message), I'll feel happy about it."

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
We know they are doing something wrong, but the only point in can see in Hopla's thing is that they didn't watch film with the coaches, and we don't know if it is all the time or a period, and what is the reason behind that? do they want to give more freedom for the players to discuss?

Kiyaman

Legend
What is wrong with the Knicks???

What is wrong with the Knicks ???

Easy question to answer .. in the past two decades after head-coach Van Gundy quit, and Dolan Fired GM Ernie Grunwald ..
The Knicks Dolan & Mills has been hiring PUPPET GM and PUPPET head-coaches the past two decades.
These Knick Puppet GM and coaches has let the owner Dolan and the front-office call the shots on what Knicks player are in the starter lineup, plus the closer lineup at the end of the games. It got really bad when the front-office started making changes to the substitution of players in the Knick game rotation. For an entire decade Knicks fans wondered why the Knicks never had any type of chemistry in there lineups and rotation season after season having a star player Marbury, then Carmelo Anthony?
Knick Fans also worried why mediocre NBA players wanted double their worth in salary to sign on to the Knicks?
And why traded/and signed FA players found all types of reason to be out injured a full season !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks adding and signing 7 decent FA in the offseason to go alongside their young-core group of players for the upcoming season has a very good chance of becoming a .500 team in the 2019-20 season. The only thing that stops the the Knicks from becoming a .500 team in the upcoming season are the decision-making of Dolan/Front-office/or the same foolish head-coaching moves as the previous season.

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
The Knicks adding and signing 7 decent FA in the offseason to go alongside their young-core group of players for the upcoming season has a very good chance of becoming a .500 team in the 2019-20 season. The only thing that stops the the Knicks from becoming a .500 team in the upcoming season are the decision-making of Dolan/Front-office/or the same foolish head-coaching moves as the previous season.

each single year we face the same thing, we get hyped about the new and good players and then season goes downhill...... the knicks tried hiring good GMs like Phil Jackson, but even him could not do a good job........ Dolan said he will not interfere, and it seems he is not..... the rest are doing a decent job, i don't konw about Fiz, he always say the nice things but he is not Popovich...... will we ever have a coach of Pops caliber... I think that is the only way we can climb out of this eternal hole

Kiyaman

Legend
each single year we face the same thing, we get hyped about the new and good players and then season goes downhill...... the knicks tried hiring good GMs like Phil Jackson, but even him could not do a good job........ Dolan said he will not interfere, and it seems he is not..... the rest are doing a decent job, i don't konw about Fiz, he always say the nice things but he is not Popovich...... will we ever have a coach of Pops caliber... I think that is the only way we can climb out of this eternal hole

We did have a coach of Pop's caliber named Pat Riley, who grabbed Starks and Anthony Mason from the CBA league to take us to the FINALS. We all know what happen after the meeting Riley & Dolan had .. Pat Riley Quit.
And we hired Rileys assistant coach JVG as head coach, after a couple months of Don Nelson.

Phil Jackson is a NBA HOF coach .. Phil had no history of being a GM or president when he signed on to the Knicks to be Dolan's PUPPET President !!!

paris401

Starter
.. Phil had no history of being a GM or president when he signed on to the Knicks to be Dolan's PUPPET President !!!

not saying u r wrong...BUT... what proof can u offer?? dolan said he was giving the reins to phil to run the show... i didn't hear of him interfering with phil's decision's - as $hitty as they were...

KNICKS MOB

Benchwarmer
I haven't read anyones responses yet but I'm pretty sure that almost everyones answer to the title of this thread is JAMES DOLAN