Everyone is laughing at the Knicks after an awful start to NBA free agency

Kiyaman

Legend
Should James Dolan sell the Knicks?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...to-nba-free-agency/ar-AADFIIU?ocid=spartandhp

For an extended period of time between the Kristaps Porzingis trade and the 2019 NBA draft lottery, New York Knicks fans hoped their team was on the cusp of a franchise-saving offseason.
A big 3 of Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and Zion Williamson was entirely possible as long as a few ping pong balls landed in the right place and the Knicks brain trust could put together a strong free agent.
We should have known better.
Rather than play for the Knicks, Durant and Irving will be suiting up just a few miles away at the Barclays Center for the Brooklyn Nets. The Knicks have since signed free agents Julius Randle and Taj Gibson for half the total money of Durant?s Nets deal and insisted they never actually wanted Durant on a max contract.
That development left plenty saying it was time for Knicks chairman James Dolan to seriously look in the mirror and think about the depths the NBA?s most valuable franchise has sunk unto his leadership.

mafra

Legend
They should be laughing at KD for being swayed by Kyrie and DeAndre...

Nobody cares about Nets... even if he wins there... few will care. Nets were a playoff team and Kyrie went first, so winning there won?t be nearly as big a boost to his legacy as it would?ve been if he won with Knicks. Brooklyn won?t help his brand much, not like staying with GSW or NYK...

He was sold on Nets being just as easy to win over NYC as NY.... it?s not.

NYers cares more about Kidd leading 2012 Knicks then the care about his back2back Finals appearances with Nets.

Good luck in Brooklyn, and wait until media turns on him. Melo deserves to be in HOF with how he handled NY media... Kyrie and KD not tough enough to handle the press.

We?ll get last laugh.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I don't think the situation is half as bad as the media reported it to be. The whole Durant/Irving are going to the Knicks was fake news completely manufactured by NY Media. Will any of them admit they got it wrong or worse, made it up? What would the narrative have been if the Knicks signed them both? We over paid for injury prone players and paid one 35 million to sit on the bench. **** that!

We're all in with the youth movement. I like our direction.

Kiyaman

Legend
I never believe Durant was coming to the Knicks .. The Knicks advertisement department spreading rumors throughout last season of Durant coming to the Knicks .. Guess who the JOKES on ???

The four signings in New York- Bobby Portis, Reggie Bullock, Wayne Ellington and Taj Gibson all have a team option for next year, league sources confirmed to ESPN. New York can develop their young kids, stay competitive and keep flexibility for 2020-21.
Julius Randle
Taj Gibson
Bobby Portis
Reggie Bullock
Wayne Ellington
Elfred Payton

Just relax. This is just what it is being a Knicks fans. Not worth getting upset about what the media says. They killed us when we didn?t resign Jeremy Lin too.

tiger0330

Legend
I don't think the situation is half as bad as the media reported it to be. The whole Durant/Irving are going to the Knicks was fake news completely manufactured by NY Media. Will any of them admit they got it wrong or worse, made it up? What would the narrative have been if the Knicks signed them both? We over paid for injury prone players and paid one 35 million to sit on the bench. **** that!

When the President of the Knicks has to issue an apology to its fans it's bad. They brought it upon themselves building up the hopes of the fan base holding pressers, releasing press statements, vilifying Porzingis, trying to make themselves sound like genius's with Mills even saying the color of their front office was going to make a difference.

I look at some of the free agent signings by other teams and I wonder about some of those names that signed for less than we're paying for the guys we signed and whether they made more sense. Guys like Mike Scott, Demarre Carroll, Hezonja, Kanter, Ed Davis, etc. I said it earlier with 70M in cap space and all the talent that is available in FA an idiot should be able to construct a winning team, we will see next season if Mills/Perry pass the IQ test.

Paul1355

All Star
Disagree,

I think the Knicks just had to react to an overly emotional fan base that takes speculation to the highest form of gossip that it?s ridiculous. This was all noise created by the media. Durant always denied reports to want to go to the Knicks and even dissed the franchise years past.

Mills and Perry have been consistent and steadfast with their plan. Stay young (25 and under) unless to be a mentor, build through the draft and G league while maintaining flexibility for free agency, and take no short cuts.

The injury to Durant changed everything as signing him would be a huge risk that goes against the philosophy they have preached.

The President and GM have approached the Knicks as a small market team would and its the right move despite the haters and noise claiming to know what?s best when they forget context all together.

We signed very underrated players on the rise in Randle/Portis/Payton all 25 and younger. We signed vets that are tough and have NY personalities in Gibson/Portis. We have multiple 3-D wings in Barrett/Dotson/Bullock etc. We have young point guards with upside in DSJ and Payton.

Lastly we have a future all star combination in Julius Randle and Mitchell Robinson for years to come.

Let?s see that this was always a long term plan and one that is similar to the Nuggets, 76ers, Bucks model of building through the draft and attracting FA after they have established a culture within.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mafra

Legend
I do believe Randall/Portis/Payton a step up from Mudiay/Herzongia/Vonleh....

Randall is a budding star and both Portis and Payton still have potential... Payton finished season with what? 5 triple doubles?

I think KD was willing to come to NY.... he came! I believe he wanted Knicks, but only b/c they had space for another max... Kyrie was on board to... NY on his trade list with CLE... then last year happened...

Oakley incident, and Dolan bans a fan, Mills trades KP bc the star player preferred to meet with owner, Nets had a good season, Jordan didn?t like Fizdale?s rotation and usage...

KD did say in 2017 he would never sign with Knicks...

Then Knicks won 17 games and out front office started bragging about free agency, thus putting pressure on these players to answer distractions...

And let?s not forget KD ruptures his Achilles and Kyrie went all selfish-insane and torpedoed the Celtics...

I think both parties wanted to back out 1-2 months ago and every week they became
More and more steadfast in their resolve.

Just sad, b/c we could be celebrating RJ-KP-Randle... what a trio!

Now we have to pray KP-Doncic duo doesn?t become great... Nets will melt down next season, I have no doubts...

But forget about Dolan... Mills ran KP out of town (remember KD called KP the ?unicorn?)... instead of clearing. Space for a max... which didn?t work... we should?ve kept KP and see if that was enough to attract KD...

and let?s remember... us fans (and media) treated Melo like crap. Why would players want to be treated like that?

Fiz pissed of Dolan, Mills let spite chase KP away, Dolan is a clown and us fans are fickle... it all contributed to this.

So now we root for RJ-MRob-Randle and the gang. And, to me, this new roster just feels right. I look forward to watching them. I believe the talent is there... I?m just worried about Fiz being able to coach them... and we know Mills is a storm cloud that hovers over MsG and brings nothing of value to the b-ball court.

mafra

Legend
If only MIA didn?t match that 4/50 deal Nets signed Tyler Johnson too... or who was that others RfA they tried to sign... not Crabbe....

mafra

Legend
NY Daily News

The Knicks traded Kristaps Porzingis, at least in part, to chase Kevin Durant. But dealing Porzingis might?ve actually hurt New York?s pursuit.

That was the suggestion from Jay Williams, who is close to Durant and is a partner on their ESPN show, ?The Boardroom.?

?Who gave Porzingis the nickname, the Unicorn? (Durant did),? Williams said on a podcast with ESPN?s Zach Lowe. ?Do you not think that was one of the attractive pieces he saw? Like, ?Wow. Wow, together, this is what it can be together. Together, potentially.??

Durant raved about Porzingis in January, just three weeks before the Knicks dealt him to the Mavericks for two first-round picks and cap space.

?Seeing a guy that?s 7-foot-3 being able to shoot so effortlessly ? usually guys take a while to get their jump shot off from the 3-point line,? Durant said. ?He has a quick trigger from deep. That?s rare to see at that height.?
The Knicks never got a free-agent meeting with Durant, who agreed to sign with the Nets on Sunday. It?s a risk for Brooklyn because Durant is recovering from a torn Achilles, a potentially career-threatening injury.

Soon after Durant announced his intention to sign with the Nets, an ESPN report surfaced stating owner James Dolan was not prepared to offer a max contract because of the injury. The Knicks, of course, never got the opportunity to offer anything and Williams suggested the leak was disrespectful.

?If I?m Kevin Durant, I?m sitting back and saying, ?Oh, so if I wanted to go to New York, you guys weren?t going to take me??? Williams said. ?I think players see stuff like that. Players talk all the time.?

donchris

When the President of the Knicks has to issue an apology to its fans it's bad. They brought it upon themselves building up the hopes of the fan base holding pressers, releasing press statements, vilifying Porzingis, trying to make themselves sound like genius's with Mills even saying the color of their front office was going to make a difference.

I look at some of the free agent signings by other teams and I wonder about some of those names that signed for less than we're paying for the guys we signed and whether they made more sense. Guys like Mike Scott, Demarre Carroll, Hezonja, Kanter, Ed Davis, etc. I said it earlier with 70M in cap space and all the talent that is available in FA an idiot should be able to construct a winning team, we will see next season if Mills/Perry pass the IQ test.

Yea, the public statement was an omission of failure, I'll give you that. Porzingis was just business, good business! He's unproven and sustained an injury that players rarely comeback the same from. Wave bye! I'm encouraged because I can't think of a time in my life where the Knicks built a team with out the pipedream of free agency. We gut the team for Melo, signed Amare to 20 million per year when David Lee did the same job for half the price, the list goes on and on.

There are no saviors. No reason the Knicks can be the Pelicans of a much larger market.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Y?all need to share some of that Kool-Aid you are drinking and whatever it?s spiked with. We have team of unproven youngsters, and backup power forwards and pg and that?s supposed to be good? I beg to differ I see 20-25 wins here, maybe with some luck 30 wins. That?s awful. Our dreams went from sugar to **** that quick. The only reason Bulls fans ain?t talking **** to me right now is that they are in just as bad a shape. Poor ownership and management on both fans. But if fans line up to by tickets and jerseys for a crappy team why improve. Just keep shoveling the **** and we dumbass fans will keep eating it up right? Eldridge Payton sucks and I live in Chicago so I?ve seen Taj and Portis. Taj 10 years ago was decent but now he?s just old. Portis biggest shot was the one he landed on Mirotich face!!! Knocked that boy outta the NBA and back to Euro league!!! So unless Knox has a quantum leap or RJ is the second coming of MJ we are right back in the lottery again. And you know what?s next right???? The F/A hype machine again:?Hang in there Knicks fans because we are gonna make a run at Giannis....? Let me just dispel that myth now. Giannis ain?t coming to NYC because he?s a simple guy, Milwaukee is perfect for him, and will be able to offer the most $$$. So here we are stuck with a crappy team again at least they saved me the league pass $$$$ again rant over😡

We'll said. The Knicks will be fine

jimkcchief88

All Star

That?s why we miss you around here don you always were(are) the voice of reason. I guess from a Macro-view we signed a lot of short term contract. 1-2 year deals with options. Easy to trade and get out of. I guess that?s all we have to hang our hats on. I don?t know how hoops is gonna look. Again that old SNL skit comes to mind:?Lowered Expectations.?:(

donchris

Y?all need to share some of that Kool-Aid you are drinking and whatever it?s spiked with. We have team of unproven youngsters, and backup power forwards and pg and that?s supposed to be good? I beg to differ I see 20-25 wins here, maybe with some luck 30 wins. That?s awful. Our dreams went from sugar to **** that quick. The only reason Bulls fans ain?t talking **** to me right now is that they are in just as bad a shape. Poor ownership and management on both fans. But if fans line up to by tickets and jerseys for a crappy team why improve. Just keep shoveling the **** and we dumbass fans will keep eating it up right? Eldridge Payton sucks and I live in Chicago so I?ve seen Taj and Portis. Taj 10 years ago was decent but now he?s just old. Portis biggest shot was the one he landed on Mirotich face!!! Knocked that boy outta the NBA and back to Euro league!!! So unless Knox has a quantum leap or RJ is the second coming of MJ we are right back in the lottery again. And you know what?s next right???? The F/A hype machine again:?Hang in there Knicks fans because we are gonna make a run at Giannis....? Let me just dispel that myth now. Giannis ain?t coming to NYC because he?s a simple guy, Milwaukee is perfect for him, and will be able to offer the most $$$. So here we are stuck with a crappy team again at least they saved me the league pass $$$$ again rant over😡

Here's the 76ers Rebuild Season Record YBY
2018-19
76ers 51-31 .622 3rd, East Conference 7-5 .583 Lost East Conf Semis
2017-18
76ers 52-30 .634 3rd, East Conference 5-5 .500 Lost East Conf Semis
2016-17
76ers 28-54 .341 14th, East Conference - - DNQ
2015-16
76ers 10-72 .122 15th, East Conference - - DNQ
2014-15
76ers 18-64 .220 14th, East Conference - - DNQ

Sorry, couldn't get image to load, but I think you see my point. No matter what the season record turns out to be, we stay the course and keep building through the draft, trade a few players that won't take us there for picks, and maybe a sign in trade or two. Eventually you 'draft' an all-star. Then, and only then, can we be competitive in free agency.

Attachments

• 76ers Record.jpg
    76ers Record.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 2

Kiyaman

Legend
Originally Posted by donchris View Post

Disagree,

I think the Knicks just had to react to an overly emotional fan base that takes speculation to the highest form of gossip that it’s ridiculous. This was all noise created by the media. Durant always denied reports to want to go to the Knicks and even dissed the franchise years past.

Mills and Perry have been consistent and steadfast with their plan. Stay young (25 and under) unless to be a mentor, build through the draft and G league while maintaining flexibility for free agency, and take no short cuts.

The injury to Durant changed everything as signing him would be a huge risk that goes against the philosophy they have preached.

The President and GM have approached the Knicks as a small market team would and its the right move despite the haters and noise claiming to know what’s best when they forget context all together.

We signed very underrated players on the rise in Randle/Portis/Payton all 25 and younger. We signed vets that are tough and have NY personalities in Gibson/Portis. We have multiple 3-D wings in Barrett/Dotson/Bullock etc. We have young point guards with upside in DSJ and Payton.

Lastly we have a future all star combination in Julius Randle and Mitchell Robinson for years to come.

Let’s see that this was always a long term plan and one that is similar to the Nuggets, 76ers, Bucks model of building through the draft and attracting FA after they have established a culture within.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Hypothetical speaking .. GM Perry should have had plans on Resigning starting center DJ to a 4 yr contract the day of the KP trade ..
to at least make the KP trade look worth receiving a NBA starting center to help build one to three of the young-core players into star players !!!
The Knicks offseason front-court moves of having DJ, Randle, MitchRob, and Knox in the frontcourt rotation for the next 3 years would have looked more optimistic of getting on the road to win .. then the young Randle, Porter, MitchRob, and Knox frontcourt rotation.

The Knicks Tank-Tank 17 win season front-office, had looked real BAD during November before Thanks Giving (6-14) the Knicks losing performance looked so bad the Knicks front-office had to come up with something to please the Knicks Fans, and they started advertising big rumors and gossip of a Durant & Kyrie coming to NY in the offseason. "Stupid is what stupid does" .. Durant & Kyrie detoured themselves to Brooklyn NY., taking the Knicks only NBA starter on their Roster DJ with them to Brooklyn.
Yes! The Knicks GM Perry's offseason moves in FA has graded a F for FAILURE! WHY?
GM Perry had $70M in cap to spend on getting the Knicks 3 to 5 NBA starters from the big FA market in the 2019 off-season.
GM Perry couldn't sign one of the many NBA starter-players out of a big FA market having $70M.

Owner Dolan, and his 2 decades of Knicks GM Puppets has been repeating themselves over and over to stay LOSERS.
I recall the day the Boston Celtics created their BIG-3 to win a championship, on that day the Celtics Big-3 were a big surprise to every NBA Fan.
I also recall the day the Miami Heats created their BIG-3 to win a championship, on that day the Heats Big-3 were a big surprise to every NBA Fan.

mafra

Legend
Word is Jordan wasn?t happy with Fizdale... He wanted no part sacrificing minutes for MRob... he wasn?t going to sign here to be the backup.

I bet his sighing with Nets will derail
Jarrett Allen?s development.

Word is Jordan wasn?t happy with Fizdale... He wanted no part sacrificing minutes for MRob... he wasn?t going to sign here to be the backup.

I bet his sighing with Nets will derail
Jarrett Allen?s development.

In a New York Post article, they quote an ?Eastern Conference executive? as saying that the Nets are going to ?look stupid? for the DeAndre Jordan deal when they don?t have the money to upgrade the roster.

With us, DJ either started or didn?t play at all. He apparently has started every game in which he played since 2011. Allen going to the bench would be nuts, but that seems like that is what is going to happen.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Wow! Hypothetical speaking .. GM Perry should have had plans on Resigning starting center DJ to a 4 yr contract the day of the KP trade ..
to at least make the KP trade look worth receiving a NBA starting center to help build one to three of the young-core players into star players !!!
The Knicks offseason front-court moves of having DJ, Randle, MitchRob, and Knox in the frontcourt rotation for the next 3 years would have looked more optimistic of getting on the road to win .. then the young Randle, Porter, MitchRob, and Knox frontcourt rotation.

The Knicks Tank-Tank 17 win season front-office, had looked real BAD during November before Thanks Giving (6-14) the Knicks losing performance looked so bad the Knicks front-office had to come up with something to please the Knicks Fans, and they started advertising big rumors and gossip of a Durant & Kyrie coming to NY in the offseason. "Stupid is what stupid does" .. Durant & Kyrie detoured themselves to Brooklyn NY., taking the Knicks only NBA starter on their Roster DJ with them to Brooklyn.
Yes! The Knicks GM Perry's offseason moves in FA has graded a F for FAILURE! WHY?
GM Perry had $70M in cap to spend on getting the Knicks 3 to 5 NBA starters from the big FA market in the 2019 off-season.
GM Perry couldn't sign one of the many NBA starter-players out of a big FA market having $70M.

Owner Dolan, and his 2 decades of Knicks GM Puppets has been repeating themselves over and over to stay LOSERS.
I recall the day the Boston Celtics created their BIG-3 to win a championship, on that day the Celtics Big-3 were a big surprise to every NBA Fan.
I also recall the day the Miami Heats created their BIG-3 to win a championship, on that day the Heats Big-3 were a big surprise to every NBA Fan.

Preach on brotha. Our front office lied to us and all Knicks fans. They should all be fired. The Nets, Clippers, Lakers, Boston, GSW, all delivered the goods. Perry and Mills didn?t. How do they still have jobs today????:(

mafra

Legend
DSJ:

?I think we can hit the playoffs. Everybody do a lot of talking and things like that,? he said, ?I?ve never really been one to feed into it on social media and things like that. But I think we have a really good team, and especially with the way I?ve been working this summer, I think I?m going to take my game to the next level and it?s going to put us in the playoffs.?

Jordan was Smith?s teammate in Dallas and New York last season.

?I wasn?t surprised, to be honest with you. People in the league talk anyway. They just keep it private. People in the league talk,? Smith said. ?They?re great players but I like what we have, to be honest with you. I know there are a lot of hecklers out there and talking this that and the third. But I like what we have and I?m not really concerned with what?s going on in Brooklyn.?
Smith is an explosive scorer and leaper but has largely failed to live up to expectations. He was traded to the Knicks in January as a add-on piece for Kristaps Porzingis. Smith?s 3-point shot ? which he converted at just a 31 percent clip over his first two seasons ? has been an impediment. He said Saturday that his mechanics were tweaked in the offseason.
[More Knicks] Julius Randle out to show he?s more than just a consolation prize for Knicks ?
?It?s a big difference. And I can feel it,? said Smith, who joined the Knicks at Summer League practice Saturday. ?Everybody can see it, from my pops and my friends. So adding that into my game, getting consistent with it, is going to open up the floor not only for me but everybody else and make my reads a lot easier. So it?s major for me.?