Everyone is laughing at the Knicks after an awful start to NBA free agency

jimkcchief88

All Star
DSJ:

?I think we can hit the playoffs. Everybody do a lot of talking and things like that,? he said, ?I?ve never really been one to feed into it on social media and things like that. But I think we have a really good team, and especially with the way I?ve been working this summer, I think I?m going to take my game to the next level and it?s going to put us in the playoffs.?

Jordan was Smith?s teammate in Dallas and New York last season.

?I wasn?t surprised, to be honest with you. People in the league talk anyway. They just keep it private. People in the league talk,? Smith said. ?They?re great players but I like what we have, to be honest with you. I know there are a lot of hecklers out there and talking this that and the third. But I like what we have and I?m not really concerned with what?s going on in Brooklyn.?
Smith is an explosive scorer and leaper but has largely failed to live up to expectations. He was traded to the Knicks in January as a add-on piece for Kristaps Porzingis. Smith?s 3-point shot ? which he converted at just a 31 percent clip over his first two seasons ? has been an impediment. He said Saturday that his mechanics were tweaked in the offseason.
[More Knicks] Julius Randle out to show he?s more than just a consolation prize for Knicks ?
?It?s a big difference. And I can feel it,? said Smith, who joined the Knicks at Summer League practice Saturday. ?Everybody can see it, from my pops and my friends. So adding that into my game, getting consistent with it, is going to open up the floor not only for me but everybody else and make my reads a lot easier. So it?s major for me.?

Old lady inside the compound in the original Road Warriors:?words, just words.? What is DSJ supposed to say:?we are gonna suck, I don?t even know if I?m starting.? That?s the truth. ?I was on this team last year and we are only gonna win 5 more games this year.? That?s closer to the truth than what I?m reading above. ?I?m the worst PG in the Atlantic Division if I do start?? That?s the triple truth Ruth.:)

mafra

Legend
I?ll believe it when I see it, too, you know. But we?re, in essence, starting from scratch on this rebuild. Sure, it?s been 20 years... but, it?s now reality time.

Good news is, though, that unlike most other reload/reconstitute attempts over the years, the team is beginning from a sturdy/solid foundation.

Perry and Fiz aside, and understanding the anchor that Mills-Dolan has been to this franchise....

We begin the rebuild with a legitimate prospect in RJ Barrett. Does he have flaws? Of course! But he?s a teenager and it?s fair to assume that their is potential for enormous growth.

Knicks also pisses a plethora of recent lottery picks: Smith, Payton, Randle, Knits, and Knox.

There?s a Portis, and a Dotson, and the Blockness Monster Mitchell Robinson.

ISO-Trier, Iggy, and watch out for Wilks or Wooten.

We have hard-nosed vets in Bullock, Ellington, and Gibson.

We have a really young roster, but we also have a tier of players entering the prime (Payton, Portis, Smith and Randle). This is surrounded by 2 solid drafts and some vet role players.

We have a group we can root for... and we possess 6 picks next 4 years.

If all the restarts we?ve been forced to endure, after each humiliating episode.... I can honestly say that we are starting from the ?best position? square 1 than has been since the 90s.

The numbers will eventually tilt in our favor... collect enough assets and lottery picks possible until a collection of stuff all hit at once and the nucleus of something emerges from a flicker of potential.

NBA landscape not in our favor next 2-3 seasons regardless... so build for a dynasty to beginning 2021...

jimkcchief88

All Star
I?ll believe it when I see it, too, you know. But we?re, in essence, starting from scratch on this rebuild. Sure, it?s been 20 years... but, it?s now reality time.

Good news is, though, that unlike most other reload/reconstitute attempts over the years, the team is beginning from a sturdy/solid foundation.

Perry and Fiz aside, and understanding the anchor that Mills-Dolan has been to this franchise....

We begin the rebuild with a legitimate prospect in RJ Barrett. Does he have flaws? Of course! But he?s a teenager and it?s fair to assume that their is potential for enormous growth.

Knicks also pisses a plethora of recent lottery picks: Smith, Payton, Randle, Knits, and Knox.

There?s a Portis, and a Dotson, and the Blockness Monster Mitchell Robinson.

ISO-Trier, Iggy, and watch out for Wilks or Wooten.

We have hard-nosed vets in Bullock, Ellington, and Gibson.

We have a really young roster, but we also have a tier of players entering the prime (Payton, Portis, Smith and Randle). This is surrounded by 2 solid drafts and some vet role players.

We have a group we can root for... and we possess 6 picks next 4 years.

If all the restarts we?ve been forced to endure, after each humiliating episode.... I can honestly say that we are starting from the ?best position? square 1 than has been since the 90s.

The numbers will eventually tilt in our favor... collect enough assets and lottery picks possible until a collection of stuff all hit at once and the nucleus of something emerges from a flicker of potential.

NBA landscape not in our favor next 2-3 seasons regardless... so build for a dynasty to beginning 2021...

Uhhh we had a Top 50 center named Patrick Ewing to anchor our 90?s squads. Who is gonna anchor this squad? Reggie Bullock🤣 Bobby Portis🤣 Julius Randle🤣 Elfrid Payton🤣???? I wouldn?t even play with that squad on 2K and if you are smart you wouldn?t either. Me thinks more rose colored glasses and pipe dreams. This summer set the Knicks franchise back 2-5 years easy by whiffing on every decent free agent out there. One cat I work with didn?t even go there with me for a week because he understood how bad it is for the Knicks. And the kid played small college ball so he knows a little something. And he called KL to the Clipps over a week ago. This is a replay of the Isiah?s Stevie Franchise, Zach Randolph, and Jamal Crawford team with LESS talent and WORSE coaching if that?s possible. Seen this bad movie before. Mark my words on this....:(

Last edited:
Amare on ESPN this morning. He was asked why the Knicks can?t attract big free agents. He said that it is that the team has not been a winning team for so long and that there is a perception that the Knicks organization is not as professional as it needs to be.

Amare said that when he signed with the Knicks it was a more appealing team because of the GM and the young players on the roster.

Amare seemed optimistic that we are back in a position to have future success. Amare is also a super nice guy, so he generally is going to say positive things about us, no matter what.

mafra

Legend
Knicks were able to snag 7 free agents on team friendly deal. MM even backed out of commitment with SA.

LeBron
Greg Monroe
LaMarcus Aldridge
KD
Irving

This is basically the list of those that have shunned NY, right?

Word is KD wanted NYK but KI wanted Nets...

Cold. Media. City and state taxes. Losing and instability....

Trust me, if this rebuild works... players will run to take Dolan?s money.

Nobody is coming here unless there?s a clear route to a championship. This banana boat generation is wired that way. They want path of least resistance. They want to cheat history and rack up as many rings as possible to solidify their standing in hierarchy of player history.

Why can MIA and LAC turn from LJ/Wade/Bosh and Paul/DJ/Blake and then reload so quickly? DEN rebuilt after Melo... Jazz even rebuilt.

Methinks Dolan and Mills the biggest problem... insane PR paranoia policy, the public perception and the fact that Mills knows as much about identifying b-ball talent as my mailbox.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Amare on ESPN this morning. He was asked why the Knicks can’t attract big free agents. He said that it is that the team has not been a winning team for so long and that there is a perception that the Knicks organization is not as professional as it needs to be.

Amare said that when he signed with the Knicks it was a more appealing team because of the GM and the young players on the roster.

Amare seemed optimistic that we are back in a position to have future success. Amare is also a super nice guy, so he generally is going to say positive things about us, no matter what.

He’s angling for a spot, glad Perry was sensible enough to pass when Big Baby killed him in the a Big 3 league. He’s going to wind up working for the Knicks I bet, I wonder if he can coach or if he’s interested in coaching.

paris401

Starter
Amare is also a super nice guy, so he generally is going to say positive things about us, no matter what.

bumped into amare in harrods some years ago when knicks were playing the pistons in london - as u say a 'super-nice' guy -

Kiyaman

Legend
Word is Jordan wasn’t happy with Fizdale... He wanted no part sacrificing minutes for MRob... he wasn’t going to sign here to be the backup.

I bet his sighing with Nets will derail
Jarrett Allen’s development.

DJ has been a great double-double 26 minute per game defensive starter center, having the capability to be a player/coach to young-core teammates on the court and on the bench. DJ would have been a great mentor for Knicks 2nd season MitchRob & Knox.
For 8 of DJ's 12 yrs in the league DJ were mentored by a winning head-coach Doc Rivers and a HOF PG Chris Paul.
DJ could smell a fake LOSER head coach from his early years on the Clippers, and Fizdale has that smell.

In a New York Post article, they quote an “Eastern Conference executive” as saying that the Nets are going to “look stupid” for the DeAndre Jordan deal when they don’t have the money to upgrade the roster.

With us, DJ either started or didn’t play at all. He apparently has started every game in which he played since 2011. Allen going to the bench would be nuts, but that seems like that is what is going to happen.

The best thing the Nets did for their future center Allen, were signing a veteran defensive mentor DJ to help guide a young Allen through a 82 game season, and a post-season presence the next couple of years to take a lot of pressure off the young center.
The only executive in the eastern conference that would think the Nets made a stupid move signing DJ to a comfortable contract to guide the Nets front-court players , would be an idiot executive that hasn't made it to the post-season games in years (Mills/Perry).

mafra

Legend
This man, right here, Dennis Smith Jr. will pretty much dictate what direction our franchise?s perception goes in as 2019 melts into 2020....

Check out this dunk he just did:

?The book is still out on the 21-year-old as an NBA point guard?Can he lead a contender or is he just a taller Nate Robinson??but there's no debating he has some of the most ridiculous hops in the league. Check out his latest jaw-dropping jam:?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.go...-dunk-gives-knicks-fans-a-glimmer-of-hope/amp

If he bursts forth in his third season, D-Russell style, then the Knicks will be a 40 win - in playoff contention type of squad.

With Randle and Mrob and the vets, with (hopefully) glimmers from the teenagers....

Well, we would be thought of like Nets right now.

If DSJ is Mudiay 2.0.... and KP does what he does Nov-Dec.... then, well, the mockery and derision will amplify exponentially until we break through the iron-Nickel core of rock bottom and venture into uncharted territory.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks were able to snag 7 free agents on team friendly deal. MM even backed out of commitment with SA.

LeBron
Greg Monroe
LaMarcus Aldridge
KD
Irving

This is basically the list of those that have shunned NY, right?

Word is KD wanted NYK but KI wanted Nets...

Cold. Media. City and state taxes. Losing and instability....

Trust me, if this rebuild works... players will run to take Dolan’s money.

Nobody is coming here unless there’s a clear route to a championship. This banana boat generation is wired that way. They want path of least resistance. They want to cheat history and rack up as many rings as possible to solidify their standing in hierarchy of player history.

Why can MIA and LAC turn from LJ/Wade/Bosh and Paul/DJ/Blake and then reload so quickly? DEN rebuilt after Melo... Jazz even rebuilt.

Methinks Dolan and Mills the biggest problem... insane PR paranoia policy, the public perception and the fact that Mills knows as much about identifying b-ball talent as my mailbox.
Remember Pj's first year as President and GM, after trading Chandler his first big FA move was to sign Greg Monroe to a max deal, well Monroe is out of the NBA and will play for Bayern Munich next year. His other notable signing Noah is still a FA and will probably sit at home this year collecting fat pay checks from the Knicks. The guy (Phil Jackson) set the Knicks back 5 years with that triangle offense and not recognizing the game had moved on from low post big men.

mafra

Legend
Remember Pj's first year as President and GM, after trading Chandler his first big FA move was to sign Greg Monroe to a max deal, well Monroe is out of the NBA and will play for Bayern Munich next year. His other notable signing Noah is still a FA and will probably sit at home this year collecting fat pay checks from the Knicks. The guy (Phil Jackson) set the Knicks back 5 years with that triangle offense and not recognizing the game had moved on from low post big men.

Remember Phil?s buddy said Monroe was the ideal center for his triangle offense.

Lol.

Kiyaman

Legend
This man, right here, Dennis Smith Jr. will pretty much dictate what direction our franchise?s perception goes in as 2019 melts into 2020....

Check out this dunk he just did:

?The book is still out on the 21-year-old as an NBA point guard?Can he lead a contender or is he just a taller Nate Robinson??but there's no debating he has some of the most ridiculous hops in the league. Check out his latest jaw-dropping jam:?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.go...-dunk-gives-knicks-fans-a-glimmer-of-hope/amp

If he bursts forth in his third season, D-Russell style, then the Knicks will be a 40 win - in playoff contention type of squad.

With Randle and Mrob and the vets, with (hopefully) glimmers from the teenagers....

Well, we would be thought of like Nets right now.

If DSJ is Mudiay 2.0.... and KP does what he does Nov-Dec.... then, well, the mockery and derision will amplify exponentially until we break through the iron-Nickel core of rock bottom and venture into uncharted territory.

The Knicks did sign a decent starter PG in the off-season name Elfrid Payton.
DSJr's skills/talents are far -far away from being a NBA starter at the guard spot.
I believe the Knicks signed SEVEN (7) FA players this off-season .. The Knicks number one dire need in the off-season were a veteran leadership PG to guide the 3rd season Frank & DSJr the ropes on running the point the next 2 seasons.
The Knicks 2nd dire need were a veteran 2-Way performance PF like the 2 the Knicks signed in Morris & Randle.
The best IQ PG the Knicks had on their roster the past 2 seasons were Jarrett Jack .. the Knicks signing PG Elfrid Payton in the offseason wasn't the best move, but Payton's team-ball IQ are the same as Jarrett Jack from gaining B.ball experience from moving around the league the past two seasons.
Knicks ex-Coach Horn biggest mistake were never tandem Jack & Frank in the backcourt to run the offense/defense. The Knicks biggest need in the offseason were an experience NBA PG like CP3, or Westbrook, or Conley, or Beveley.
Will coach Fizdale tandem Payton & Frank, or Payton & DSJr, or Frank & DSJr to run the point together in the backcourt to add successful ball-movement without turn-overs? NO! I doubt it.
Recall .. if Fizdale start his erratic substitution changing rotation/lineups every other game the results will end the same as the 17 win season. And Mills/Perry wasn't any help with their erratic change of adding so many young raw LOW IQ PG the past 2 seasons.
Let's hope Payton works out for a long term stay as a Knick .. because Dolan and all his GM for the past two decades failed in the PG department !!!