What is the best plan for approaching Russell Westbrook?

Paul1355

All Star
The Knicks and Westbrook have been linked together since rumors came out that he considers leaving OKC post Paul George trade. Here are some choices for our Knicks:

1) Wait until December 15.

December 15 marks the beginning period when the Knicks can trade their free agent signings. Furthermore, the contracts of these new signings all have a team option for the 2nd year, making them perfect for teams that want back flexibility. By December 15, we will know who is worth dealing or holding onto. This plan allows time to experiment with this motley crew of nba dogs head by Randle or to see if it?s worth taking the next step with Westbrook-Randle in the playoffs.

2) Strike while the iron is hot.

The Knicks struck out on the big name free agents, but to me only KD was on their plate and his injury messed that up. Therefore, Westbrook is not a bad consolation prize for a team starving for victory. Westbrook deserves a deal with multiple good/young players and multiple draft picks. The Knicks had 7 1st round draft picks before drafting Barrett, I believe. They have picks to deal, young players to dangle in Robinson, Smith Jr, Nilikina, etc. that can be dealt now since they are continuing their current deals. Making a move now would make them compete for the playoffs and be a sleeper team to upset, hopefully attracting another free agent.

3) Stay away and stay put.

This might be the most realistic option since Knick?s brass seems headstrong on the youth movement and keeping draft picks while not ?taking shortcuts? (Mills). They also seem to only want players that really want to play here and are about building a culture. Westbrook could become an issue when creating a team culture as he is a solo dominate ball handler and star. He would change the dynamic that the team has been preaching since missing out on Durant. It seems the Knicks want to see what they have and remain flexible for the deadline and free agent class for the next two off seasons (hence the contracts they offered.)

Which plan should we choose or do you have a different plan for your Knicks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimkcchief88

All Star
I like plan B if we can put together a package that OKC would take. To me the only untouchable would be MROB. But other than that Frank,DSjr,KK, even RJ along with future picks should be on the table. The problem with waiting until mid-December is OKC/Russ may not to wait that long. Plus as our current roster is comprised we will be dead and buried by mid December(as usual) so why would Russ come to a loser. Clear out KK, RJ, Knits, and a next years lottery pick should work. Then we would have to make room for the $$$ by clearing the bums we got on the 1 year plus option(TaJ, Bullock, Ellington, Payton) and it will be Russ team.

jimkcchief88

All Star
It would have to involve RJ, no? How to make salaries match now is the hard part.

We really can?t make a deal until mid December but Russ could be playing for Miami or Detroit or even Houston by then. It?s up to our front office to decide if they want to continue to be the bridesmaid and never the bride or figure out how to make a boss move happen. I know the last time we did something like that was the Melo deal. You guys know my stance on that: we were respectable during most of Melo?s Knicks tenure until the injuries racked up and his skills diminished. And Melo was the last superstar that actually WANTED the NYC spotlight and was proud to be a Knick. No matter how you felt about the results that counts for something. I was Team Anti-Starbury but in retrospect is was a similar situation, local kid coming home to save the home team. Seldom works unless you are Lebron. Starbury never won a scoring title or playoff series with the Knicks like Melo. Maybe if STAT is doesn?t punch a fire extinguisher and is available that Indiana series turns out differently. Go get Russ if at all possible. The guy is a superstar with all the talent in the world. And he would fit NYC because he?s eccentric. His OKC tenure is done. A big market would suit Russ. Make it happen Scott. Earn your keep.

mafra

Legend
Amen!

If he?s still in OKC come season then NY should prepare the way for a mid-December deal.

Westbrook, Randle, Morris would be a nice competitive bunch for ECF this year and next.

Anyway, I wouldn?t trade away many assets to make it happen.

But if they want a young asset with 2 firsts and dump RW... well, we can make that happen.

DSJ/Knox/Salary filler plus 2 picks?

tiger0330

Legend
Houston and Heat looking to acquire Russ.

The Houston Rockets are trying to acquire Russell Westbrook through a 3-Team Trade, per @WindhorstESPN.

Source: Oklahoma City asked for two first round picks, Tyler Herro, Justice Winslow and Bam in a deal for Russell Westbrook.

Houston and Heat looking to acquire Russ.

The Houston Rockets are trying to acquire Russell Westbrook through a 3-Team Trade, per @WindhorstESPN.

Source: Oklahoma City asked for two first round picks, Tyler Herro, Justice Winslow and Bam in a deal for Russell Westbrook.

Hmm, Miami and Houston both make sense, but not sure either will be able to find enough trade partners to gather the necessary assets.

I?ve been wondering if Minnesota makes a play for Westbrook.

tiger0330

Legend
Hmm, Miami and Houston both make sense, but not sure either will be able to find enough trade partners to gather the necessary assets.

I’ve been wondering if Minnesota makes a play for Westbrook.
It gets like -40 wind chill in MN. Russ is a warm weather guy, you know he doesn’t want to go there lol. If they couldn’t get DLo I don’t see how they get Russ. They have to trade Wiggins, who doesn’t post bad numbers but he seems untradable because of that contract.

Houston and the Heat also need help to get this done and are short of assets to get help. Can you imagine CP3, Harden and Russ on the floor at the same time or even rotating in the backcourt, seems like it wouldn’t work.