How will Fizdale shake-out the young backcourt rotation

mafra

Legend
Of course we would pick up KP?s option, but not extending him when he was eligible put the player and org at odds last year, which culminated in his trade.

Not picking up these options would?ve messed with these kids, probably to the point they tune Fiz out by December.

This doesn?t mean they won?t trade them
in 3 months or that they are buying into their long term futures...

Just a smart play from a team that hasn?t made many smart moves the previous 20 seasons.

For a team bereft of talent, doesn?t hurt to spend 15 mil or so to buy some time before decisions need to be made.

The mantra always is in sports, if talent doesn?t flash after 3 years.... most likely it never will.

mafra

Legend
Is Fizdale on the hot seat?
If the Knicks are out of the race by Dec. 1 and bumbling toward a 20-win season, the Knicks coach may not survive. Fizdale, who has projected a more serious demeanor this fall, has one year remaining on a three-year contract. Usually an extension would be in order after the campaign to avoid lame-duck status. A 30-win season with Barrett producing and solid development from second-year men Kevin Knox II and Mitchell Robinson should spark extension talks. Fizdale is a wizard at motivating his players, but a lack of creativity on last-minute possessions already surfaced in the preseason finale. He has installed a pressure defense and promised a more complicated offensive scheme. Fizdale was a superstar assistant coach, but the jury is still out as the head man after failing to survive two seasons in Memphis.

Will there be 48 minutes of hell?
Fizdale doesn?t want to classify the new scheme as a backcourt press but it?s similar. He wants to pressure the ball 94 feet and have the team?s identity be its wrecking-ball defense with a rugged frontline led by Taj Gibson, Bobby Portis and Morris. In two of the four preseason games, Fizdale was very pleased with the defensive effort and rotations. With a deep rotation, the players don?t have to conserve energy on defense. Last season, Fizdale?s team ranked 22nd in allowing 113.7 points per 100 possessions. That needs to improve if the Knicks are going to be relevant.

tiger0330

Legend
Looking at the first 10 games the Cavs and Kings look like the easiest games to win which may mean a start of 2-8. No excuses for Coach Fizdale, lose the first 10 games, we may get a repeat of what happened to Fizdale in Memphis with Keith Smart taking over as interim coach.

mafra

Legend
Allonzo Trier is under consideration for a spot in the Knicks' starting five, per SNY sources. Members of the organization liked how Barrett and Trier looked together during preseason and training camp, per league sources.

It's unclear if Trier starting would knock one of the potential starting point guards -- Dennis Smith Jr., Elfrid Payton and Frank Ntilikina -- out of the starting lineup. Fizdale could put Barrett at small forward and Trier at shooting guard while starting one of Smith Jr., Payton or Ntilikina. Or he could put both Trier and Barrett in the backcourt together.

On Tuesday, Fizdale said he was getting close to making a decision on the lineup and he'd announce it on Wednesday.

Barrett handled the ball regularly during the preseason, and Fizdale said earlier in camp that he liked Barrett as a playmaker.

The coach pointed out on Monday that Trier, who averaged 10 points in 16 minutes per game on 43 percent shooting in three preseason games, brings a unique skill to this Knicks roster.

"He brings an element that probably no one else brings on the team from a standpoint of, he can really break you down off the dribble and he's a good shooter from three," Fizdale said. "I've been really happy with the way he's gone about it, when he was playing and when he wasn't playing. He's been a good teammate to guys, and when he got his opportunity, he really played well."

Fizdale has critiqued players for holding the ball too long in the preseason. But he said Monday that he hasn't seen that issue with Trier, whose nickname is 'Iso Zo.'

"This year he hasn't done it. I think he's two possessions where he had maybe taken multiple dribbles in a possession. He doesn't want the nickname (Iso Zo) and he wants to change that perception of him as a guy that holds," Fizdale said. "He wants to be just Allonzo Trier. He's been going about it the right way and he's been showing that in practice."

I?m not a huge fan of Trier?s game, but he?s a guy who could make a few changes and be a good player in this league. He doesn?t have the huge flaws to his game that some of our other guys have (I.e., needing to learn how to shoot like all our PGs).

In my mind, starting RJ, Trier, and Randle really should open the door for the more defensive-oriented Ntilikina to start at PG if DSJ or Payton struggles.

Alternatively, we could start MRob/Portis, Randle, Morris, RJ, and Trier and just say the hell with it with our PGs.

tiger0330

Legend
Starting Trier strikes me as a desperation move when a coach is looking for answers when the team is losing, don’t tell me we’re going to have the lineup of the week like we had last season. Put those vets out there that we acquired in the off-season along with RJ. First game I’d go with this starting 5.

Portis
Randle
Morris
RJ
Payton

Trier is a 'Goal Hawk' and you don't start them. Remember what happen last year with Burks & THJ.
General men this the cancer that was growing last year. Fix let Trier have to much free reign in the offense. The vet saw it and that is the talk that is going around the league.
Why are we giving RJ a starting job?? When the incumbent Dotson is now healthy along with Ellington.

mafra

Legend
I agree. Trier is our 6th man.... if he wants to start, make him start creating for others first....

I would go Payton, RJ, Morris, Randle, Portis first game (MRob hurt). Let DSJ ease into things, playing against backups.

Kiyaman

Legend
Looking at the first 10 games the Cavs and Kings look like the easiest games to win which may mean a start of 2-8. No excuses for Coach Fizdale, lose the first 10 games, we may get a repeat of what happened to Fizdale in Memphis with Keith Smart taking over as interim coach.

If Fizdale does not come up with a better Plan, System, and rotation than what the Knicks showed in the preseason games then it will be all down hill for Fizdale in the regular season.
Fidale will have to pull a rabbit out of his hat to win 7 games out of the Knicks first 15 games.
Because the Knicks 16th to 25th game will be against nine of the NBA top opponents, where Fiz may have a 1-9 stretch.

Trier's not a starter, nor does Trier have the skill-set to be a 6th Man.
Rookie RJ Barrett has a high IQ and the versatility to be a 6th Man, but no experience to be a NBA starter.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, mafra mentioned this last night. We got a guy, Portis, who broke a teammate?s face in practice and a guy, Morris, who smacked a guy in the face in our 1st preseason game. This locker room is going to be real ?rowdy?, real fast.

I actually like that. Reminds me of that guy we had a couple of decades (wow) ago who had choked his previous coach but led us to our last conference title during his first season as a Knick.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I think I know a little something about this game. Our success is tried to Frank!! This just my opinion and I know it doesn't count for much. We have too many moving part(players) and I have notice their individuality during certain time during the game. They want to be main man and bring us back. They take shoots mostly el-advise 3's and miss. We need a field general who can keep head and move the ball unselfishly. That player is Frank.

Fiz needs to stop trying to make his team a 3 point shooting team. Every team we play nom matter how poorly they shoot 3's always make more 3's than the Knicks. Go back an place Great important on taking the ball to the basket and the mid-range shoots. No chemistry in this team and it probably shouldn't be. Again, to many new players and moving parts. Who is the player that has the glue to bring us together as a team? FRANK!!

Let say this... unless something monumental happen in the way of coaching(Fiz) and better ability to recognize talent/imagination/thinking by management(Mills, Perry and C. Robinson). THIS TEAM AND MANAGEMENT IS DEAD!! It's no bring them back from the grave. From the moment when Phil walk out the door we were dead as a organization. From the moment Perry/Mills let D. Rose walk out the door they were dead as management. Most might not agree but everything they touch has been a Disaster.

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I think I know a little something about this game. Our success is tried to Frank!! This just my opinion and I know it doesn't count for much. We have too many moving part(players) and I have notice their individuality during certain time during the game. They want to be main man and bring us back. They take shoots mostly el-advise 3's and miss. We need a field general who can keep head and move the ball unselfishly. That player is Frank.

Fiz needs to stop trying to make his team a 3 point shooting team. Every team we play nom matter how poorly they shoot 3's always make more 3's than the Knicks. Go back an place Great important on taking the ball to the basket and the mid-range shoots. No chemistry in this team and it probably shouldn't be. Again, to many new players and moving parts. Who is the player that has the glue to bring us together as a team? FRANK!!

Let say this... unless something monumental happen in the way of coaching(Fiz) and better ability to recognize talent/imagination/thinking by management(Mills, Perry and C. Robinson). THIS TEAM AND MANAGEMENT IS DEAD!! It's no bring them back from the grave. From the moment when Phil walk out the door we were dead as a organization. From the moment Perry/Mills let D. Rose walk out the door they were dead as management. Most might not agree but everything they touch has been a Disaster.

The way Mills/Perry has let Fizdale's action do its best to make Frank want to quit, and have Frank agent ask to be traded.
Who's idea was it to give rookie RJ above 35 minute throughout the preseason games? Mills/Perry !!!
Frank has never receive 30 minute of playing-time from Fizdale .. DSJ first Knick game last year receive 32 minute of playingtime.
Who idea was it to give rookie RJ the starter PG role in the Knicks first regular season game? Mills/Perry !!!
PUPPET coach Fizdale !!!
Treating Frank so poorly last season has made a lot of teammates unhappy in the locker-room to the point the star player KP demanded to be traded.
Mills/Perry decision-making has been back-fire ing on them.

Last edited:
The way Mills/Perry has let Fizdale's action do its best to make Frank want to quit, and have Frank agent ask to be traded.
Who's idea was it to give rookie RJ above 35 minute throughout the preseason games? Mills/Perry !!!
Frank has never receive 30 minute of playing-time from Fizdale .. DSJ first Knick game last year receive 32 minute of playingtime.
Who idea was it to give rookie RJ the starter PG role in the Knicks first regular season game? Mills/Perry !!!
PUPPET coach Fizdale !!!
Treating Frank so poorly last season has made a lot of teammates unhappy in the locker-room to the point the star player KP demanded to be traded.
Mills/Perry decision-making has been back-fire ing on them.

They didn't re-sign D. Rose to help Frank become a better PG. Instead they sign a journey-man in J. Jack not the former MVP Rose. When D. Rose came into the league he didn't have a jumper and had to develop one. That is when he became a MVP.

Everybody on the team seen like they free to take any shot they want but of course Frank has to run the offense exactly like Fiz wants. No plays are ever set-up to give him confident. Always pass the ball and go into the corner for a shot you don't ever seem to make.

I have met Perry at the games in Atlanta. Didn't get a good feeling from him as a person. I would turn my back on him. Mills was more personal in his conversation but he's sneaky.