Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    12th man

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    "Free agency is a process that there's certain parts of it you can't control," Mills said. "We had a plan in place, we had a roster that we thought we could end up with and the guys that you're going to meet later on today, those are guys that were part of what we planned on doing."

It was also a plan that owner James Dolan did review before Mills and Perry went out to execute it.

"Jim knew we were going to have a successful free agency period, and we feel like we did that," Mills explained. "He was on board with what we were doing and one of the rosters that he saw well in advance of free agency looks like one we're going to put out on the floor this year."

It may not be the ideal roster, but the Knicks gave themselves tons of flexibility by signing players like Bobby Portis, Marcus Morris, Wayne Ellington and others to two-year deals with only one year guaranteed. Only Julius Randle, their biggest signing among the lot, has more than one year guaranteed and his three-year deal has two years guaranteed.

However, Mills admitted there were players that could have filled one of the two max slots the Knicks had that were interested in the team, but didn't fit what they wanted to build in New York.

"There were a lot of max-type players that we could have met with that were interested in coming here," Perry said. "We had a certain way we wanted to build this team and this is how we chose to build it."
    This is what I mean about Mills, I doubt any max guys, Kemba, Harris etc. ever wanted to meet with Mills. Load of BS like his “guys notice we’re a front office of African Americans, and want to sign with us”. I’d rather have a GM like the new guy down in DC, that said “look we‘re rebuilding this year” than feed the fans a continuous line of BS.

Hey tiger,
    Who was it that said Mills and Perry was trying to act like they were inner city African American during an interview? Trying to talk all ghetto with the black players. Was it D. Jordan??

I am so glad to see that their are Knick fans that are tired of this B.S.

They still have a Phil Jackson complex. They have never won championship or built a team in their current position. They are in over their heads and they need to go. There was no PLAN B or C or D.... If so then why did you run and hind the whole summer until now.

Do you really think Dolan was on board with this Titanic Plan?? Mr. Dolan getin your private jet and go to Jackson Hole and beg if you have to for Phil to come back. Then go to L.A. and talk with Magic Johnson about join Phil. Then go by C. Gaines house and see if he interested in a comeback.

Gentlemen...I know of no other way to save us(The Team and Fans). Again, if anybody get a better solution(that includes a real Knick) then I'm all ears.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Raider View Post
    Hey tiger,
    Who was it that said Mills and Perry was trying to act like they were inner city African American during an interview? Trying to talk all ghetto with the black players. Was it D. Jordan??

I am so glad to see that their are Knick fans that are tired of this B.S.

They still have a Phil Jackson complex. They have never won championship or built a team in their current position. They are in over their heads and they need to go. There was no PLAN B or C or D.... If so then why did you run and hind the whole summer until now.

Do you really think Dolan was on board with this Titanic Plan?? Mr. Dolan getin your private jet and go to Jackson Hole and beg if you have to for Phil to come back. Then go to L.A. and talk with Magic Johnson about join Phil. Then go by C. Gaines house and see if he interested in a comeback.

Gentlemen...I know of no other way to save us(The Team and Fans). Again, if anybody get a better solution(that includes a real Knick) then I'm all ears.
    I never heard that, hard to believe that the Princeton educated Mills would stoop to that. Let's see how the season goes, if we can exceed expectations and contend for a playoff spot, even if we don't make the playoffs and finish 9th in the EC. I'll forgive Mills for his spin and say the guys we picked up gave us a successful season.

This is end of line for Mills-Perry-Fiz... another disaster of a year, with nothing to redeem the future of this roster, then Dolan better wipe slate clean and start anew.

Mills spoiled KP era and will do same to RJ if allowed. He’s a talented survivor but not a competent skills evaluator

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    I never heard that, hard to believe that the Princeton educated Mills would stoop to that. Let's see how the season goes, if we can exceed expectations and contend for a playoff spot, even if we don't make the playoffs and finish 9th in the EC. I'll forgive Mills for his spin and say the guys we picked up gave us a successful season.
    Mill's has been a loyal CEO of running all the shows yearly in MSG since the 1990's.
    Mills has the same B.Ball IQ as owner Dolan ???

The Knicks success will come from a strategic head-coach that could reach the players on committing to a same-page system.

Fizdale was asked on Tuesday if he'd play some bigger lineups this season. He sounds open to it.

"When you start talking about Kevin Knox and Marcus Morris at the small forward, right there that makes you pretty big. You can see the pecking order down the line," he said. "I can put a lot of different guys on the floor. I can play Bobby (Portis) and Mitchell (Robinson) together with Marcus Morris, that's a really big lineup. And RJ Barrett is no small guy at the two or three either. Frank and Elfrid are big guards. Dennis may not be as big as them, but he can touch higher on the backboard than the rest of them. I really like the fact we have that size and length and now it's just making sure that we use it appropriately."

Fizdale said he'd also be open to using Julius Randle at center.

"Absolutely …. You guys like to put (positional) numbers on these guys. I just like to put them out there. Now this year I feel like we've got so much versatility I can mix in different lineups," he said. "But if you want to say position-wise he's a five, I can put him out there with Marcus Morris at the four and put a lot of pressure on a defense that way."… Fizdale said that Iggy Brazdeikis had a 'welcome to the NBA" moment in Tuesday's practice. Barrett said Brazdeikis was in the wrong spot on the floor when Smith Jr. threw an alley-oop to Kenny Wooten. Apparently, Wooten finished over Brazdeikis.

12th man

Washington Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyaman View Post
    Mill's has been a loyal CEO of running all the shows yearly in MSG since the 1990's.
    Mills has the same B.Ball IQ as owner Dolan ???

The Knicks success will come from a strategic head-coach that could reach the players on committing to a same-page system.

I’ll reserve judgement on Fizdale but he’s another baffle them with BS guy. I’m looking for results this year, he’s been saying he’s got more talent with the vets he’s got this year, the young guys have a year or 2 under their belt, he’s got depth, the way he’s talking I’m looking for W’s and not excuses. Finish last in the east, he’s got to go, he’s got to fight for a playoff spot all year for me to keep him.

Does that mean we will have the 100 rotations we had last year without a stable main one?

12th man

Jonathan Givony came out with his 2020 mock draft and he has the Knicks picking Lamelo Ball with the 3rd pick which implies that he thinks we are crap again this year, got to think that since he works for ESPN the yearly ESPN team prediction also won’t be too kind to the Knicks. Might be another disappointing season though I said on paper we would wind up last in our division so deep down I didn’t have high expectations for the team.

Bad thing about blowing your wad on a collection of guys that don’t get you 30 wins is you don’t have cap space to absorb contracts for draft assets like Hinkie did with the Sixers. That’s what the process was all about, get as many picks as you can and expect that one becomes your franchise player.

Looks like Perry wants to use the guys he signed to be role models for the young guys and maybe get a shot at AD next year, he could have done that a lot cheaper by signing guys like IT, Melo, JJ if that’s the plan instead of paying big bucks for a guy like Taj albeit only for one year deals.

NBA scouts are taken with the Lamelo’s play in the Australian Pro League, kid must have something with 27 NBA scouts watching a game he played in.
    ESPN out with their Power Rankings and have us ranked 29th only better than the Hornets, worse than last year when we were ranked 28th. Seems to be a lot of optimism on the team but everything looks good in October. Fizdale needs to get the team out of the gate fast, a 5 game losing streak to start the season may mean it's going to be a long season.

Sounds like the buzz recap from camp today was about Frank’s “opportunity”, and how MRob may shoot some 3s, the slimmer DSJ...

And... the big revelation:

The offense will run through point-forward Julius Randle.

It appears jR is our new “the man” dude. Top dawg. Fiz handing him the keys.

Expect lots of P&R with E-Pay and DSJ.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    Sounds like the buzz recap from camp today was about Frank’s “opportunity”, and how MRob may shoot some 3s, the slimmer DSJ...

And... the big revelation:

The offense will run through point-forward Julius Randle.

It appears jR is our new “the man” dude. Top dawg. Fiz handing him the keys.

Expect lots of P&R with E-Pay and DSJ.
    Fizdale has a line of BS. Remember him saying good things about Vonleh last year and Mudiay, yet the brass didn't think both were worth keeping around for 4M combined per year. Those 40 guys that do the Power Rankings at ESPN think we'll be crap this year after Mills "successful" offseason, they thought we'd be crap last year and they were right.

12th man

ESPN out with their Power Rankings and have us ranked 29th only better than the Hornets, worse than last year when we were ranked 28th. Seems to be a lot of optimism on the team but everything looks good in October. Fizdale needs to get the team out of the gate fast, a 5 game losing streak to start the season may mean it's going to be a long season.
    Brutal, Pelton of ESPN picked us to finish last in the EC last August. Said none of the vets we picked up rank more than average in RPM. Only above avg contributor on the roster is MRob, we have to rely on the young guys to step up in order to surprise.

Listen, nobody can argue with any critic with as bad as its been the last 20 years. They're probably right.

But, for this team, with the roster it boasts, free agents like Payton, Portis, Gibson, and Morris are astute, golden gem type finds.

Portis and Ellington are legit NBA snipers, something this team sorely needed.

E-Pay, Morris, Bullock and Portis are tough physical players willing to serve a role and defend.... we want the young kids to absorb their professionalism... by learning firsthand from them.

Randle still has the potential to become a franchise cornerstone top 4 dude on a title contender...

Are people expecting us to go from Zion worthy to title worthy, somehow, working free agent period after being shunned?

Makes more sense to spend max money on Harris and Middleton?

We brought in guys on team friendly deals, zero long term commitment... men who are proven professionals (Portis antics aside)... who play game right way and are culture setter types.

Plus, all are useful all around players with above avg skills in certain aspects of the game, and won’t undermine Fiz.

I guarantee that if Randle and DSJ become consistent 20 ppg type scorers, and the lottery kids flash more talent and upside instead of showcasing flaws, these vets we brought in will be the supporting cast on an EC playoff team.

A second unit of Trier, Ellington, Knits, Portis and Morris will be advantage NYK most nights.

12th man

Most of these guys are journeyman, coming off the bench for their old teams by and large, maybe too much to expect that backup guys along with developing or untested young players would amount to much other than a struggling lottery team. We’ll see soon enough, Fizdale looks to start the season like he did last season, he’ll be tinkering with lineups, trying to establish chemistry and an identity for the team. That approach hasn’t worked for the last 5 years and isn’t going to work this year, I for one am not going to be happy with losses piling up and Fizdale talking about it takes about 25 games before a team gels like he did last year.

Hey tiger,
    I have to agree with your assessment of this current team. Randle is a cast-off of the Lakers. He saw a sucker in Mills and Perry and took that deal. Why is he such a game changer with the Knicks??

What we should have done in my opinion. Well let me start over!! Mills and Perry are dead and have been that way since they let D. Rose walk. It NO SAVING THEM!!!

Now if they had been smart. I would have signed only one F. A. and that was Cousins(ok, I know some disagree). They should have signed him before go to the Warriors. I would have send a strong message that we are building from within with young hunger player. Let the young player know that the cap money is their if they perform at a high level. No Randle, Taj, Ballard and no Morris. I may would have considered Ellington.

Where does the CHEMISTRY comes from to make this team a contender?? Mudiay is gone. Kornet is gone. Jordan is gone. No Big men coach to teach Robinson(No jumper). These are just a few problems that exist and doom this team.