Can Julius Randle Run Point Forward ???

Kiyaman

Legend
David Fizdale laid out some things he would like to do on offense. One of them included using Julius Randle as point forward and as the ball handler in the pick and roll. What do you think, can Randle run point forward?

Simple Answer is NO... The Best is 'HE'LL NO'!!!
Remember he tried something similar with Noah V. last year. A drowning man will grab after straws.

tiger0330

Legend
I think he can, better than average handle for a big man but he's a beast down low along with a decent outside shot. Better to use him as the roller to take advantage of his scoring. He does have the skills to do what Drey does for the Dubs, igniting the break after a RB for a lookahead pass or taking it all the way for a flush. He'll be our leading scorer this season, the question is will he get enough help, the Pels had AD and Jrue but that wasn't enough.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Fizdale's still dreaming for a Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Draymond Green, all-around performance player at the forward spot on Mills/Perry knicks roster LMAO .. Fizdale must have cried when we didn't get the first pick Zion (The next Barkley/Green).
Fizdale, what happen to Lance Thomas being our point-forward last season ???

I'm very Leary bout Randle after waisting his first 4 NBA season under the Dum-Dum LOTTERY Lakers organization, having Randle perform out of his natural position throughout the 4 seasons. Instead of the Lakers forming a rookie Randles performance into a SF/PF like Anthony Mason, they made Randle into a stand-still PF/C like Oakley to take a beaten in the paint. I believe it was Lebron decision for the Lakers not to resign Randle.
Randle's presence on the N.O. Pelicans last year did not give AD any hope of making the playoffs, nor did Randle give AD any optimism to stay in N.O. to finish out his contract. AD did not want to play center, and Randle performance at the center position on defensive-end were to weak to win regular season games. I only hope Randle picked up a few of AD scoring moves at the forward position.

tiger0330

Legend
I think Knicks fans will love JR. The spotlight is all on him this season and not on Kuzma and Ball or AD and Holiday. He’ll start day one, now he has a chance to be the star of a team if he can deliver.

mafra

Legend
?On the first play of the scrimmage, the Knicks got the ball to Randle down low. He backed down his man (Portis), drew the rest of the defense toward him, and then kicked it out to Kevin Knox, who splashed a three. Here?s to our new offensive hub!?

Our future rests in the hope of ...

DSJ-RJ-Knox-Randle-MRob.

When we?re talking/dreaming of best case scenario. We want those 5, with Trier and Iggy and Frank all to be a cohesive team that plays well within a system...

The sum Greater than the parts...

Randle and maybe MRob are the only ones ready to take a lead role right now. Randle is important in that we want him to carry the load right now. Make it easy for DSJ... pave way for Knox and RJ...

Kiyaman

Legend
In the last four years Randle's best performance has all ways been playing off the ball scoring the majority of his points from broken plays.
Randle will have problems performing as a point-forward. The point-forward role would have been perfect for Zion if we had got the first pick in the draft.

I see the Knicks winning big-men players in the upcoming season being Morris, Gibson, Portis, and MitchRob.
I still see Randle's performance as a backup PF receiving 18 to 24 minute per game.
No one are mentioning how desperate Mills/Perry were in the off-season when it came to signing FA .. giving Randle a 3 yr contract worth $57M, and Portis a $15M per contract is/are outrageous !!!

After last night performance against Pelicans. Randle has shown 'he is not THE MAIN MAN material'!! Twice in the last two game he has fail to hit a free throw(down by 1) and last a 3(with the game on the line).

mafra

Legend
So far, based on what I?ve seen, this bumbling, clumsy oaf most definitely cannot run the point forward spot. He?s a turnover waiting to happen.

mafra

Legend
1. RJ Barrett is not yet the shot-maker Carmelo Anthony became, but he?s got one undeniable, similar trait beyond both being No. 3 picks in the draft.

The 19-year-old, 6-7 sniper goes after his missed shots like a rabid pit bull ? the same as Anthony once did. Against Chicago, Barrett posted his first career double-double with 19 points and 15 rebounds ? six on the offensive glass, four of them off his own misses. That includes a huge put-back off his missed free throw late in the fourth-quarter comeback.

?He?s all around the ball and the boards ? he?s the new Melo,? one NBA scout observed. Monday, Barrett became the first Knicks rookie to post a 15-point, 15-rebound, five-assist game since Walt Frazier in 1968, meaning he?s the first to do it at the new Garden.

Advertisement

Barrett?s 82 points through his first four career games are the most by a Knicks rookie since Patrick Ewing?s 91 in 1985. Mitchell Robinson also raked in six offensive rebounds.

?They go after the ball,? Knicks coach David Fizdale said. ?RJ likes to go get it because he wants a chance to make a play.?

If Anthony fought for rebounds after other shot attempts like he did his own misses, the ex-Knick would?ve been a double-double machine.

Kiyaman

Legend
So far, based on what I’ve seen, this bumbling, clumsy oaf most definitely cannot run the point forward spot. He’s a turnover waiting to happen.

Yeah .. tonight vs Boston .. Randle had 6 turnovers !!!
I hate it when Randle is standing by the 3 ball line asking for the ball as soon as RJ or Frank bring the ball across-court .. then Randle wants to dribble at the 3-ball line SMH

mafra

Legend
David Fizdale and Julius Randle have repeatedly discussed the time it will take for the Knicks? biggest offseason signing to adjust to his new and expanded role.

That period may last longer than many will like.

?To create and break habits, it takes two months of doing it consistently. That?s just science,? Fizdale said Saturday. ?Right now, we?re nowhere near that point. But I still see him doing good things on film. I know he may get frustrated sometimes with himself, but at the same time we just gotta keep chopping that tree so he can get to that place.?

?I never expected [this]. He draws double and triple teams, and they?re really forcing him to have to trust,? Fizdale said. ?I don?t know if he?s ever seen this before in his career. That?s a tough thing for a guy for the first time ever, seeing these kind of coverages. So, we just gotta make sure our spacing is right around him, and we?re ready to make shots when he?s kicking that ball out.?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...-adjustment-wont-come-quickly-for-knicks/amp/

mafra

Legend
Through 9 games, Julius Randle has an obscene 38:37 assists to turnover ratio.... As Mike Breen said last night, ?that spin move is a turnover waiting to happen?.

Randle is shooting 60% from the charity stripe and an abysmal 19% from downtown.

JR?s defense has been atrocious. Running the offense thru JR was a short-lived experiment... Already, Fiz has pivoted:

Fizdale and Morris spoke with media after the Knicks earned their second win of the season.

"We follow him. Marcus Morris is our leader," Fizdale said. "He embodies toughness. He embodies team. He really cares about these guys. I think he likes playing for us. He's the guy that hits me up in the middle of the night asking me if I need anything. I've never had a player like that before that just really cares so much."

??-

I don?t think JR is this bad.... he?s always started the season slow.... and he took time in LA to be productive. I think he?s a fine 4th piece.... but, for me, give me Morris, Portis and Taj. Trade him come Jan... pray somebody will take his contract...

To put it bluntly, no good free agents are coming here in the summer of 2020. Randle?s contract comes off the books in 2021 if we decline his player option. I see no harm in giving him 2 seasons to see what he can do.

mafra

Legend
To put it bluntly, no good free agents are coming here in the summer of 2020. Randle?s contract comes off the books in 2021 if we decline his player option. I see no harm in giving him 2 seasons to see what he can do.

I wouldn?t give him away in a salary dump, or take a bad contract back just to swap....

He had some sweet layups last night, flicking ball in somehow.... and he made some serious passes last nights. If he moves ball and stops playing point forward, I?m fine with him being a leader here for 2-3 years. Like you said, we don?t need the cap space.

With that said, I?m hoping he plays well enough that he can possibly fetch us assets, as a contender sees him (or Morris) as a nice complimentary piece.

We shall see.

Like I said, I think he?ll eventually settle into his role and have value...

We just need others to step up so Randle can fall back into the paint and do the offensive dirty work from the post, when matchup dictates.

I wish we could dump Mills and Perry and get Sam Hinkie in here. He?d be able to gut this roster and get us some picks the next couple seasons. Our current front office won?t be able to do it. Most lame duck front office in sports.

If everything pans out at PG. The Point Forward discussion is dead, huh?

Now it time to find out who would want Randle? The Magic?? Maybe for Issac? STOP LAUGHING....just joking. I wouldn't. Maybe RJ for Issac! If they fall for all the HYPE surrounding RJ then just maybe that could happen. I like Issac but that probably happening.

tiger0330

Legend
I wish we could dump Mills and Perry and get Sam Hinkie in here. He’d be able to gut this roster and get us some picks the next couple seasons. Our current front office won’t be able to do it. Most lame duck front office in sports.
I think Hinkie has burnt too many bridges like Mark Jackson and JVG and won't be finding a GM job anytime soon. Teams just don't have the patience to build from scratch and it's a crap shoot along the way, MCW and Fultz are busts, Simmons and Embiid cornerstones but Embiid may have been the biggest crap shoot of them all.

Randle as point forward has to stop. It is the worst experiment in sports history. Fizdale should be fired just for having Randle dribbling 20 feet from the basket.

Kiyaman

Legend
Randle as point forward has to stop. It is the worst experiment in sports history. Fizdale should be fired just for having Randle dribbling 20 feet from the basket.

AGREE 100% !!!
After last night game vs the Cavs .. I'm looking to trade Randle ASAP, and FIRE Fizdale ASAP !!!