Game thread: New York Knicks @ Washington Wizards 7:00 10/7/2019 [Preseason Game #1]

tiger0330

Legend
Look at that scrub Chioza and how far he got into the lane, Frank doesn't ever do that, too easy to stay in front of him. Not sure having long arms and being a solid but unspectacular defender is going to keep him around.

Look at that scrub Chioza and how far he got into the lane, Frank doesn't ever do that, too easy to stay in front of him. Not sure having long arms and being a solid but unspectacular defender is going to keep him around.

I?m still behind in the game, but bringing Ntilikina into the game totally stopped the bleeding in the 3rd quarter. Wizards had just come off something like an 18 to 3 run and we out scored them by 12 points over the rest of the quarter with Ntilikina in the game.

A big part of that was RJ getting going, but watching Ntilikina, he is all over the place off the ball disrupting the Wizards offense.

If Ntilikina could just become an average quality offensive player...same old mantra.

RJ just went full out apex predator in the 2nd half. Just an ice cold look in his eyes. This kid is going to be the centerpiece of our offense sooner rather than later.

tiger0330

Legend
I was thinking Ellington could be the starting SG because he's a vet and we need to get off to a fast start but he's too one dimensional. RJ stands a chance of becoming an immediate starter.

Morris is faux tough, bouncing the ball off Anderson's head lol.

Liked Taj skill to step out, really didn't know he could do that, just looked it up he was 32% last year his first decent year shooting it over 30 but he doesn't take many.

They kept the Wiz under 110, like I wanted. Wiz are a bunch of scrubs though.

tiger0330

Legend
I’m still behind in the game, but bringing Ntilikina into the game totally stopped the bleeding in the 3rd quarter. Wizards had just come off something like an 18 to 3 run and we out scored them by 12 points over the rest of the quarter with Ntilikina in the game.

A big part of that was RJ getting going, but watching Ntilikina, he is all over the place off the ball disrupting the Wizards offense.

If Ntilikina could just become an average quality offensive player...same old mantra.

Yeah, still not a shoo in for the Knicks to pick up his option despite FIBA and the continuing hope of the fans. I don't see PG or SG in the kid myself, I harp on this but have you ever seen a good backcourt defender not make a steal and take it all the way for a flush after 2 years in the league, speaks to his lack of athleticism that he can't do that to me.

Kiyaman

Legend
Well, I was right .. one quarter of Morris prove he is the best winning player on the Knicks roster this season, so what Morris have lead each of his teams in technical fouls.
Game-Ball goes to Rookie RJ Barret who took over the 3rd quarter after the Knicks (Payton/Knox/and Randle) fell apart on offense/defense when (Leader) Morris got ejected, they help the Knicks lose a 15 point Knicks lead to the 2019-20 LOTTERY Wizards team.
I was expecting the Knicks to beat the Wiz by 20 or 30 points in the preseason games .. Big props for the Knicks WIN goes out to Morris RJ MitchRob Ellington Gibson and Frank .. the rest of the guys in the rotation were a joke on the court .. Randle running the point was the biggest JOKE LMAO Fizdale !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Yeah, still not a shoo in for the Knicks to pick up his option despite FIBA and the continuing hope of the fans. I don't see PG or SG in the kid myself, I harp on this but have you ever seen a good backcourt defender not make a steal and take it all the way for a flush after 2 years in the league, speaks to his lack of athleticism that he can't do that to me.

Frank was not on the court when the Knicks lost a 15 point lead when the game became tied 60-60 in the 3rd qtr. .. however Frank was on the court when the Knicks turned things around to take a 11 point lead over the Wizards.
You should be commenting more on a 5 yr experience Edfrid Payton performance in tonight game. Tonight Knicks vs Wizards game had no PG leadership on both teams !!!

tiger0330

Legend
Frank was not on the court when the Knicks lost a 15 point lead when the game became tied 60-60 in the 3rd qtr. .. however Frank was on the court when the Knicks turned things around to take a 11 point lead over the Wizards.
You should be commenting more on a 5 yr experience Edfrid Payton performance in tonight game. Tonight Knicks vs Wizards game had no PG leadership on both teams !!!
Kiya, Frank was doing the same last year as htr10 said. If his option status was in question last year it still is after one game playing a bunch of scrubs like the Wiz put out for this game.

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiya, Frank was doing the same last year as htr10 said. If his option status was in question last year it still is after one game playing a bunch of scrubs like the Wiz put out for this game.

In this game what did u see from the Knicks as a team? You seen what i seen a ISO-system !!!
I do not blame Morris for doing something erratic (on purpose) to get thrown out the rest of the game, and probably the rest of the preseason games .. Morris is probably wishing he was playing for the Spurs where there would be several x-o position plays and plans he would have to remember in his first 20 minute preseason game as a Spur.

The only thing holding Frank back from being a NBA star PG .. are Frank's communication with teammates and opponents on the court. Hopefully, in the upcoming season Frank become more of a talker to control the offense. There are a lot of things Frank has the athletic to do to improve his scoring that he does not do.
The Knicks as a team had little to no training-camp on the court, but alot of time off the court having to do all the MSG media advertisement hype throughout last week.
I'm hoping at least 7 players come together in practice throughout the next two weeks having 3 more preseason games to help our RAW head coach Fizdale keep his job .. in the first preseason game the trio of Frank RJ and Gibson looked good together on both sides of the court, the other trio that played well on both sides of the court in all their lineups were Morris, Ellington, and MitchRob.
I wanted to see Dotson, DSJ, Portis and rookie IGGY in todays rotation, but Fizdale's not on a high level of coaching to run a 12 man rotation throughout the preseason games.

mafra

Legend
RJ 17-7-3 line...

Ellington, Morris, Randle, Gibson all score double figures tonight.

Knox and Knits with solid numbers.

Payton with 5 assist...

We score over 100 ....

We win the game!

The Dragon

Benchwarmer
I like when Frank looks aggrissive and wants to score, what i don't like is that for some reason he goes back to be laid back and stop attacking, it is a problem if you are not aggressive in nature, cause no matter how they push you, you go back to your old self...... I hope they find a way to push him, even if he miss many shots, they will fall eventually if he keep trying. he has solid mechanics, his shot is very smooth but it is just not falling....

mafra

Legend
I don?t think this team needs Frank to be a scorer or an offensive-minded dude at this point....

I think Fiz needs to focus on what the kid does well, and hope they can slowly instill and implement offensive moves to his repertoire next couple years.

This team needs Frank and MRob to be defensive stalwarts right now, if the team will be successful this upcoming season. They need to be difference makers on defense....

Now, we need MRob to catch a few alley oops and get some putbacks and knock down a shot or two...

We need Frank to shoot 35% on open 3s and find a way to score in transition, off broken plays, or when ball finds him and he?s open.

If the team can consistently count on these 2 to combine for 20 points a night while playing excellent defense... I?ll sign up for that!

Quick question: Shouldn't we be looking at some of those other players like Amir Hinton? I would like what the kid has to offer. Wouldn't this be a great time to see. The kid is 6'5".

I had read a lot of discussion about Frank and some I agree and some not so much. Frank need to play no matter what the situation and by that I mean start. What I have seen with Frank game is that most of the other player aren't in tune to him. That is call CHEMISTRY. Last year I especially notice it during the game in England. Frank was bring the ball up the floor and spot 'Super Mario' had posted his man on the left side of the key. Frank pass the ball thinking Mario was going to pull his man into the key. Slow footed Mario stay in place and the ball was intercepted. This was the correct play but it goes as a turn-over. Frank have him concentrate on his mid-range jumper? Wouldn't that be better than trying 3's. If you aren't good at long range shoot than why take them? Why would your coach have you taking them?

DSJ is damage good and when you have a player with a bad back it only get worst. Anybody in there with a bad back :boohoo:. Do any of you remember the Knicks with Q. Richardson? I don't know what some of you see in DSJ as a starter for the Knicks. They trade for him and handed to PG starting job. That not competition.

How is MRob suppose to become this complete player? He has no offensive game(no jumper). So how is this suppose to HAPPEN?? He didn't take a jumper during Summer league play. So all this working on this game this past summer was for WHAT? We are going to get him hurt on all of those ally-opp plays. Hire a Big Man coach someone like Kevin Garnett. Not a consultant like last year.

The lineup Fiz need to be looking at is: MRob - C
Randle - PF
Knox - SF
Dotson - SG
Frank - PG
This line-up can save his job if he smart.

Kiyaman

Legend
Quick question: Shouldn't we be looking at some of those other players like Amir Hinton? I would like what the kid has to offer. Wouldn't this be a great time to see. The kid is 6'5".

I had read a lot of discussion about Frank and some I agree and some not so much. Frank need to play no matter what the situation and by that I mean start. What I have seen with Frank game is that most of the other player aren't in tune to him. That is call CHEMISTRY. Last year I especially notice it during the game in England. Frank was bring the ball up the floor and spot 'Super Mario' had posted his man on the left side of the key. Frank pass the ball thinking Mario was going to pull his man into the key. Slow footed Mario stay in place and the ball was intercepted. This was the correct play but it goes as a turn-over. Frank have him concentrate on his mid-range jumper? Wouldn't that be better than trying 3's. If you aren't good at long range shoot than why take them? Why would your coach have you taking them?

DSJ is damage good and when you have a player with a bad back it only get worst. Anybody in there with a bad back :boohoo:. Do any of you remember the Knicks with Q. Richardson? I don't know what some of you see in DSJ as a starter for the Knicks. They trade for him and handed to PG starting job. That not competition.

How is MRob suppose to become this complete player? He has no offensive game(no jumper). So how is this suppose to HAPPEN?? He didn't take a jumper during Summer league play. So all this working on this game this past summer was for WHAT? We are going to get him hurt on all of those ally-opp plays. Hire a Big Man coach someone like Kevin Garnett. Not a consultant like last year.

The lineup Fiz need to be looking at is:
MRob - C
Randle - PF
Knox - SF
Dotson - SG
Frank - PG
This line-up can save his job if he smart.

I would work several half-court and transition plays with the lineup below:

PG-Frank
SG-Dotson
SF-Morris
PF-Gibson
C-MitchRob