Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Watch the game last night.
    As for that experiment with RJ at the PG... FORGET!! I don't know what everybody so but the must have miss this. The Hawk's trapped RJ and he had problem getting the ball into the offensive. He isn't a true PG by any stretch of the imagination. He isn't a pure ball-handler. ATL was waiting for this and showed what other teams are going to do if Fiz think it going to work. Hawk's trapped RJ before he crossed 1/2 court and other time after he cross 1/2 court. Both time he didn't recognize the trap or players came to give him for a pass.

Outside of that I think Frank played VERY WELL for a player to score just 2 point. QUESTION: Has anybody notice there are no offense plays for Frank. It always Frank running the offense plays for someone else. The ball goes to someone and never ever comes back out to RESET.

Veteran

Other than isolation, does Fizdale run any plays? I guess that was technically a play when Morris took that contested 3 late in the 4th quarter.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Raider View Post
    Watch the game last night.
    As for that experiment with RJ at the PG... FORGET!! I don't know what everybody so but the must have miss this. The Hawk's trapped RJ and he had problem getting the ball into the offensive. He isn't a true PG by any stretch of the imagination. He isn't a pure ball-handler. ATL was waiting for this and showed what other teams are going to do if Fiz think it going to work. Hawk's trapped RJ before he crossed 1/2 court and other time after he cross 1/2 court. Both time he didn't recognize the trap or players came to give him for a pass.

Outside of that I think Frank played VERY WELL for a player to score just 2 point. QUESTION: Has anybody notice there are no offense plays for Frank. It always Frank running the offense plays for someone else. The ball goes to someone and never ever comes back out to RESET.
    I have to agree on Fizdale .. his one game experiments are not working when the Knick players are looking for ball movement and touches on at least half the time on the offensive-end. Plus player/coach Vince Carter Team-leadership out-witted Fizdales ISO-system on both sides of the court .. I wanted to cry watching 2nd season Trae Young do all the things i expected to see DSJ do to out-smart opponents in his first outing in preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Other than isolation, does Fizdale run any plays? I guess that was technically a play when Morris took that contested 3 late in the 4th quarter.
    It doesn't look like Fizdale's (17 win season) type of coaching change any in the 3 preseason games i watched !!! bad bad bad
    That's the front-office fault .. last season at the start of March the Knicks record were 13-50 having the poorest Iso-system in the history of the NBA. The Knick $$$ front-office should have had 2 or 3 unemployed NBA head-coaches ready to sign on to the Knicks coaching-staff in June to coach the Knicks summer league team, and prepare a few team offensive-defensive plays for the nine new players for the upcoming season.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    I think DSJ is odd man out.... If he cannot be a dynamic offensive force.... what good does he serve?

“Frank is a beast on defense,” forward Bobby Portis said. “I never really saw Frank play much being on an opposing team, but being on his team, he’s a great teammate and does all the little things that’s not on the stat sheet, like getting over screens, diving on the floor for loose balls and things like that. Having guys committed to the team is really big with us.”

Payton will be a Fizdale fav bc of Perry and his toughness on defense....

I think RJ will actually be groomed to be our Ben Simmons type PG...

“He’s good. It gives a completely different dynamic to his game,” Randle said of Barrett’s decision-making. “Teams will load up on him because they know he can score the ball. It’s also a learning experience because he’s gotta learn how to balance both [scoring and play-making].”

“He’s a play-maker. He’s just being himself,” Portis added. “We’ve got that trust in RJ. He’s gonna be a big-time player in this league, and just having the ball in his hands at what? 19 years old? I think that’s big for him and he’s got a bright future ahead.”
    Rookie RJ Barrett's multi-position performance look to be the best player for the 6th Man role for the next two seasons.

I love making Vince Carter look young btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The Knicks are back" - Amare

Frank needs to stay within his role as a defensive player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The Knicks are back" - Amare

Yes. FN a defensive stopper for us. That’s it and hope he improves.

Word is players already grumbling about their roles.

Fiz should be Fired if team shows no growth come Jan

Veteran

Our roster is an endless string of landmines for Fizdale. Portis vs MRob? Ntilikina vs DSJ vs Payton? No room in the rotation for Trier and/or Dotson and/or Brazdeikis? Etc.

If we struggle out of the gates, it’s going to be very hard for Fizdale to control the locker room.

12th man

He’s setting up for a disappointing start of the season with his comment that it’s going to take time for all the new guys to gel and come together as a team.

PG play is going to be the key, you’re not winning many games with the production we’ve gotten out of the position.

DSJ looked like crap on both ends, an off night shooting is one thing but the guy looked like he wasn’t even trying to play defense. He’ll get plenty of playing time today, he better deliver.

No Zion tonight.... He has a sore knee.

an Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

Frank Ntilikina will likely sit out of Friday's preseason finale on Friday so the Knicks can see more of Elfrid Payton and Dennis Smith Jr. at point guard.

"Frank has played three (games), Elfrid has played two, Dennis is now going to play two, so I feel like I'm getting them all (playing time)," David Fizdale said Thursday. "… I feel like I gave all three guys ample opportunity to show what he can do."

Fizdale is choosing among Ntilikina, Payton and Smith Jr. for his starting point guard. Smith Jr. missed about ten days with a back ailment during preseason and looked rusty during his preseason debut Wednesday. He should get plenty of minutes on Friday against New Orleans.

"His body seems to be doing OK," Fizdale said. "He had a really good practice."

Fizdale cautioned not too overvalue his starting lineup on opening night. He will tweak minutes and roles based on performance.

"(Lineups) are not set in stone just because we're getting out of preseason," the coach said. "That thing can always be a revolving door because these guys are so competitive. From one week to the next, it can be a different guy. And I want them to stay on edge like that."

Particularly in the backcourt and wing positions, Fizdale has plenty of options. He's been starting RJ Barrett at shooting guard ahead of Wayne Ellington, Allonzo Trier and Damyean Dotson. (Trier didn't play on Wednesday but will play with the second unit on Friday).

At small forward/wing, Fizdale has started Marcus Morris ahead of Kevin Knox II.

No matter who he plays on a given night, there will be several players left out of the rotation who came into the season expecting to play. So it shouldn't be a surprise that, per SNY sources, there has already been some grumbling about minutes/roles.

Players not being thrilled about their minutes/roles is pretty common in the NBA. All coaches/teams deal with it to a certain degree. But the idea that the Knicks have so many players who - from the outside at least - can make a case for a spot in the rotation makes this something to keep an eye on.

12th man

Fizdale cautioned not too overvalue his starting lineup on opening night. He will tweak minutes and roles based on performance.

Sounds like Fizdale telling us we aren't that good so expect us to start slow. DSJ Nits and Payton the worst shooting PG trio in the NBA, going to be a long season.