Game thread: New York Knicks vs New Orleans Pelicans - 10/18/19 Preseason Game #4

Of all the issues on our roster, I?m least concerned about RJ. We have the league?s worst PG rotation and I?m starting to worry about MRob?s ability to stay on the court.

I’m not sure if you follow HS b-ball, FIBA, the All-American circuit.... but, if not, I hope you realize that RJ Barrett, at this time last year, just 12 months ago, was the unquestionable top overall pick in the 2019 and 2020 Draft Class... and 1 of the better top prospects to come out in some time.... The kid should’ve been playing HS last season but reclassified bc he wanted chance to play with Zion.
You realize that? He should be a freshman at Duke this season.

RJ has been dominating all levels of play, at high level competition, since he was 13.

The kid is 19 years old, is 6”7’ AND TWO HUNDRED & FIFTEEN pounds. I mean, what are you looking for from your starting SG?

For a G, he has a prototypical body type.... he already has a post game and can rebound. He doesn’t mind contact!

I don’t want quality.... I want quality. I understand diversifying risk, and seeking 2:1 when circumstances warrant it... but I didn’t want the kid from VA or Texas Tech plus another mid-rounder.

I wanted Zion, JA, or RJ. I’m tired of losing... we finally won something and some wanted to trade that away, like that has ever worked out for us?

Ian Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

The Knicks may not know who their starting point guard is yet, but it's seems like they have shooting guard figured out.

Rookie R.J. Barrett locked that position up with a strong performance in the Knicks' preseason finale on Friday. He had 19 points (9-for-12 shooting), six rebounds and three assists in a loss to New Orleans.

"He's a very good player," Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry said Friday night. "…. Good scorer. He's obviously worked on his body and gotten stronger. I think that's gonna help. He's a playmaker. He's a kid that's learning the game and I think you can see he's going to be a really really good player in this league for a lot of years."

He doesn't look like a rookie," David Fizdale said. "He's a tough kid. He really knows how to play and he's fearless."

No, I do not follow FIBA or All-American circuit. I do follow H-S in my area. No I didn't know he re-classified himself in order to play with Zion. Good for him!!! So point is that we got a gem in RJ. I see what you are going for the sure thing in picking a player. That OK... But if you have as many problem as the Knicks you need well rounded players and a lot of them. I think you meant "I don't want Quantity"... "I want Quality". I want players that can hit there jumper, defend their position, rebound their position, pass the ball. Is RJ at #3 all of those things? You know the answer it it NO. At best I see an average player and you "DON'T DRAFT AVERAGE PLAYER AT #3".
This what you draft at #3---A #3 pick should be dynamic player. One that should start but command big minutes because what he bring to the table. One that can change a game on both in of the floor. One that his teammates look at him when they need a basket. One that when you coming off the floor during a time-out and the other team just make a run at you and they look at him!!! Question: Is RJ that type of player??? You don't have to give a position to the player I just describe. HE EARNED IT!!

If the player I just describe if RJ then we have nothing to worry about. You never answer whether he was all of those things.

As for tire of Losing... I'm right behind you or shoulder to shoulder. Questions: What solve our problems, problems, problems??? What did we win if the last draft goal was Zion and we in up with RJ? Nowhere did I ever see anything about RJ being want we wanted or just as good as Zion. Now I didn't want either... Nobody jump out at me in last year that merited a #1 thru #10. A very weak draft.

Nobody talk bad about a young player like RJ. They all say nice things about them coaches and reporters. Fiz got to say what the front office wants him to say. Now that is another story you and I need to discuss as fans. I don't owe RJ a thing in life. I'm a Knick fan and RJ doesn't move the needle for me or this team. Anthony Davis move the needle for me. That Walker kid makes me sit-up and start looking real close. Looks well rounded.

All kids may not have all the hype as RJ and Zion. Do you remember a kid draft by Bullets years ago that came in and moved his team from LAST to FIRST. He process the right talents to move that team. That player was Wes Unseld. Won MVP and ROY!! If as a team the Knicks can't get this(last to first) then WHY DRAFT A PLAYER AT #3 THAT CAN'T DO THIS????

You can bring in B. King all you want to talk to RJ. I know B. King....He's No Bernard King!!! He doesn't have that kind of SWAGGER. If you know what I mean.

tiger0330

Legend
Of all the issues on our roster, I?m least concerned about RJ. We have the league?s worst PG rotation and I?m starting to worry about MRob?s ability to stay on the court.
If our PGs don?t come around, Perry is going trade for one, I give it a month. Though I think Payton and DSJ will play better once the season starts.

Kiyaman

Legend
Of all the issues on our roster, I’m least concerned about RJ. We have the league’s worst PG rotation and I’m starting to worry about MRob’s ability to stay on the court.

The Knicks PG rotation are weak because of coach Fizdale! Plus Fiz lineups and substitution are very questionable in games!
In the Pelicans game, I couldn't write one negative comment bout DSJ performance when the odds weren't in his favor. Pelicans coach Gentry attacked the Knicks guards with a trio guard lineup of PG-Jrue, PG-Ball, and 6.9 point-forward Ingram, that's 3 PG against one PG.
When will Fizdale open his eyes to see the majority of NBA winning teams been having two PG in their lineups SMH
I was fooled to believe throughout the offseason our first, second, and third preseason game would have had Frank & DSJ in the starting lineup sharing the point.
I was also fooled to believe Fizdale would have at least a couple decent half-court plays written up for the final minute of each quarter.

MitchRob should be performing worried these days, after the Knicks head-coach and front-office refuse to invest in MitchRob's NBA growth by not resigning a great mentor and starting-center DeAndre Jordan to the same 2 yr $30M contract given to Portis.
Having DeAndre Jordan sign an extension before last season ended would have helped the Knicks a little better in the FA market for star players in the offseason. It would have been nice this season having DJ in the back ground teaching Knox & MitchRob how to play above the rim like DJ and Blake Griffin did on the Clippers.

If Fizdale put rookie RJ Barrett in the starting lineup in the Knicks first regular season game .. I will name him Puppet-Fizdale throughout the 2019-20 season.
I will admit rookie RJ Barrett high IQ and quick athleticism performance in the preseason games has won the 6th Man job over Knick players Trier Dotson and Knox for the regular season games.