Game thread: New York Knicks vs New Orleans Pelicans - 10/18/19 Preseason Game #4

Randle making the great steal and then getting stripped before he could get up the shot to possibly win is the most Knicks thing that could have happened.

Knicks down 1 with the ball and 2.9 seconds to go. Keep in mind, this has been Knicks more or less ?starters? against Pelicans backups, but still would be nice to get a good shot here.

Got the old ?Fizdale special? there. Randle misses the deep 3 in isolation on the ?designed play? and we lose by 1.

Clock has to be ticking on Fizdale. Mid season fire and replaced by Mike Miller? Miller was G League Coach of the Year last season.

Tom Thibodeau is available. Just going to keep throwing that out there every year or so. He ended a 14 year playoff drought in Minnesota.

Kiyaman

Legend
Randle with 8 points, 4 boards, and 2 assists in the 1st quarter. Really could take the edge off of things if he could just go ahead and have an All-Star season for us.

I wish! Tonight, I watch a 26 minute Okafor out-play Randle & Portis & Knox in the paint. We need COACHING help bad !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks has the ball, Knicks down by one point having 2.9 seconds remaining .. there were no picks or screens made by the Knicks players before or after the Knicks inbound the ball to Trier who gave a quick pass to Randle who dribbled the ball between his legs to take a missed 3 point shot, when a catch and shoot (RJ Barrett) two point shot would have won the game.

The big question lies in how many regular season games will Fizdale coach the Knicks before Knick FANS scream for Fizdale to be FIRED ???

mafra

Legend
I think we?re seeing clear signs that we lined a solid double to the wall with the RJ Barrett lottery ticket!

Zion has the most upside, but there?s serious injury flags (like KP)....

Like Zion, Murant looks special when on the floor...

Sneaking into the top 3 and salvaging last year?s disaster, we at least walk away with a solid professional ballet. He has NBA body and swagger, he?s coach able... he wants to be great and to put in the work.

I don?t know how high he?ll soar, but he looks like a solid #3 top franchise player, at least... And, you need 3 of these guys to be perennial contenders...

You need 1 of these to attract the next ... and from their it builds itself.

Randle is worthy for now, to help RJ be competitive.... these 2 could be part of something in the near future....

I think it was Wally last night who was saying we?re okay at 4 positions with MRob/Portis, Morris, RJ, and Ellington/Trier, but we?re going to struggle because of the lack of an effective PG.

I feel like this has been the story of the Knicks for a while now.

On a side note, I wonder if MRob?s foul troubles are going to haunt him forever. He has elite center upside, but Portis is going to get a lot more minutes if MRob keeps racking up the fouls.

I think we’re seeing clear signs that we lined a solid double to the wall with the RJ Barrett lottery ticket!

Zion has the most upside, but there’s serious injury flags (like KP)....

Like Zion, Murant looks special when on the floor...

Sneaking into the top 3 and salvaging last year’s disaster, we at least walk away with a solid professional ballet. He has NBA body and swagger, he’s coach able... he wants to be great and to put in the work.

I don’t know how high he’ll soar, but he looks like a solid #3 top franchise player, at least... And, you need 3 of these guys to be perennial contenders...

You need 1 of these to attract the next ... and from their it builds itself.

Randle is worthy for now, to help RJ be competitive.... these 2 could be part of something in the near future....

Question: After seeing the N.O. player Walker drafted at #17 do you think RJ is better than him? I have said a precious post that there were no players worth a top 10 pick in this years draft. I still believe that. We shouldn't have drafted RJ instead trade back to ATL for there two picks. Wouldn't you have a another player only with the kid Walker right now. I certainly would!!!

One the league stop letting RJ go left then will see what kind of player he is. That kid Walker impress the HELL out of me last night. He was on my radar before the draft but N.O. 1st pick(Hayes) was and I still wish we would have traded back.

As for Randle...You have seen him in the last two games choke. One at the free throw line the other on the last shot of the game. He is not the 'Main Guy' material. Last shot is for player like D. Rose and M. Beasley who we let walk. They have ice water in their veins. Dotson and Mudiay(if we had him) would have been better. Question- Why didn't he or Trier take the ball to the basket? They had some success with that. Why draw up a play for a 3 when you are one point down? This makes no sense.

PG starting position goes to Frank!!! After last night and seeing both Payton and DSJ there is no way Fiz can give the job to nobody but Frank. Both Payton and DSJ looked horrible. DSJ has lost his confident!!! We better try and trade him before this get worst. Payton too!!

tiger0330

Legend
Question: After seeing the N.O. player Walker drafted at #17 do you think RJ is better than him? I have said a precious post that there were no players worth a top 10 pick in this years draft. I still believe that. We shouldn't have drafted RJ instead trade back to ATL for there two picks. Wouldn't you have a another player only with the kid Walker right now. I certainly would!!!

One the league stop letting RJ go left then will see what kind of player he is. That kid Walker impress the HELL out of me last night. He was on my radar before the draft but N.O. 1st pick(Hayes) was and I still wish we would have traded back.

As for Randle...You have seen him in the last two games choke. One at the free throw line the other on the last shot of the game. He is not the 'Main Guy' material. Last shot is for player like D. Rose and M. Beasley who we let walk. They have ice water in their veins. Dotson and Mudiay(if we had him) would have been better. Question- Why didn't he or Trier take the ball to the basket? They had some success with that. Why draw up a play for a 3 when you are one point down? This makes no sense.

PG starting position goes to Frank!!! After last night and seeing both Payton and DSJ there is no way Fiz can give the job to nobody but Frank. Both Payton and DSJ looked horrible. DSJ has lost his confident!!! We better try and trade him before this get worst. Payton too!!
Problem is there are no guarantees that you?re going to pick the right player when you trade back. That kid Thybulle the Sixers picked at 20 looks really good but he dropped during the draft like something was wrong with him. RJ was the safe choice though Hunter of the Hawks might have a better career, he might be the next PG for them.

I?m happy with RJ, Fiz is going to have him in the starting lineup opening day which is a credit to him. He?s earned that starting spot, multidimensional player that you can play at 3 spots, NBA body already at 19, not afraid of the moment. Knicks fans are falling in love with him and that ain?t easy to do.

Problem is there are no guarantees that you’re going to pick the right player when you trade back. That kid Thybulle the Sixers picked at 20 looks really good but he dropped during the draft like something was wrong with him. RJ was the safe choice though Hunter of the Hawks might have a better career, he might be the next PG for them.

I’m happy with RJ, Fiz is going to have him in the starting lineup opening day which is a credit to him. He’s earned that starting spot, multidimensional player that you can play at 3 spots, NBA body already at 19, not afraid of the moment. Knicks fans are falling in love with him and that ain’t easy to do.

MULTIDIMENSIONAL PLAYER?? That can only go LEFT!!! Not sure where you got that from but if you want to believe it OK.

NBA Body?? I must be looking at someone else!!! I see an 19 year old body that not that muscular.

Ellington is more suited to start at the SG than RJ. Dotson just got back and man the SG pretty good last season. So what are you doing giving the SG to RJ just like they trying to give PG to DSJ?

This is going to be a big problem for the Knicks. Giving playing time and position when they aren't EARNED!! That was the problem last year with Trier not passing the ball and THJ and Trey Burks call him out about it. What happen to them?? Don't you know that kind of stuff get around to other players.

Let's be honest with one another and quit trying to paint a pretty picture of a sad situation. The Knicks should have trade back with ATL for two picks. If Perry and Mills had kept C. Gaines around you would have had better chance at finding talent. Which they don't know anything about.

Broadway

All Star
MULTIDIMENSIONAL PLAYER?? That can only go LEFT!!! Not sure where you got that from but if you want to believe it OK.

NBA Body?? I must be looking at someone else!!! I see an 19 year old body that not that muscular.

Ellington is more suited to start at the SG than RJ. Dotson just got back and man the SG pretty good last season. So what are you doing giving the SG to RJ just like they trying to give PG to DSJ?

This is going to be a big problem for the Knicks. Giving playing time and position when they aren't EARNED!! That was the problem last year with Trier not passing the ball and THJ and Trey Burks call him out about it. What happen to them?? Don't you know that kind of stuff get around to other players.

Let's be honest with one another and quit trying to paint a pretty picture of a sad situation. The Knicks should have trade back with ATL for two picks. If Perry and Mills had kept C. Gaines around you would have had better chance at finding talent. Which they don't know anything about.

Solid points about trading back, although I think this applied more so in previous yrs. RJ looks pretty good in his own right, while he is a dominant left handed player he has finished going right in a few gms and is a work in progress. He can play multiple positions and roles. I'm happy he's a Knick and I feel he's the best rookie we've drafted in forever. If anything we need to make a trade and trim the fat on this team(any of Knits, Trier, Dotson, Knox)...not sure why our fan base struggles with the 48min clock thinking all of our redundant roster will excel, especially in a system that's isn't high octane, sophisticated, nor defined

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
The confusion is some see what RJ is right now while others see what he?ll become when he hits his prime.... 23,24,25....

Barrett has been his class?s top player for years. He?s an iron man, who always plays.

Would I trade back to 17? No way! Especially with the way we draft. We really need more lottery picks? Are team is littered with them....

We need sure things. RJ is as close to a sure thing as we?ve seen in a while. I?m not gonna go ga-ga over a few preseason performances, just bc the 17th pick had a nice game.

RJ has been doin it for years.

RJ is 6?7?.... that?s not an NBA body? Come on now.

Look, it may not work out.... but at least if it doesn?t, you still made the right call.

Otherwise, name the 2 guys you would?ve swapped RJ for and we will revisit this come 2024.

The confusion is some see what RJ is right now while others see what he’ll become when he hits his prime.... 23,24,25....

Barrett has been his class’s top player for years. He’s an iron man, who always plays.

Would I trade back to 17? No way! Especially with the way we draft. We really need more lottery picks? Are team is littered with them....

We need sure things. RJ is as close to a sure thing as we’ve seen in a while. I’m not gonna go ga-ga over a few preseason performances, just bc the 17th pick had a nice game.

RJ has been doin it for years.

RJ is 6”7’.... that’s not an NBA body? Come on now.

Look, it may not work out.... but at least if it doesn’t, you still made the right call.

Otherwise, name the 2 guys you would’ve swapped RJ for and we will revisit this come 2024.

Brandon Ingram of the Pelican is 6'9" does he have an NBA body?? As much as I like Ingram as a player and would love for the Knicks to trade for him. The answer is NO!!! So height doesn't make an NBA body.

This last draft was as weak a draft in years. But we keep the 3rd overall pick for a player from Duke and say he is a sure thing. Gentlemen...I don't drink the Duke Kool-aid. Again, I saw NO ONE who merited a top 10 pick this year draft. A weak draft and you need as much help as possible. Give me a Break!!! That is the reason you have a C. Gaines to guide you thru the maze of player. That is how we got Dotson, Frank, Knox, Robinson and Trier. Yes Knox, Robinson and Trier are C. Gaines picks. If you remember they(Mills & Perry...more Perry than Mills) kept Gaines around long enough to finish the draft then let him go. Placing Craig Robinson in Gaines position but keeping him until after the draft. They didn't know what in the hell to do. Then they tank(in the worst year to tank) in order to get a high draft pick but in the weakest draft in years.

Would I have trade back HELL YEAH!! Every time I think about it I get mad. Name two guys?? Well, I gave you one in the Walker(#17) and I like the kid from Jaxon Hayes also with the Hawks. Again, this is if we trade back. I had more on my list. I agree with you about going ga-ga over a player having a nice game. Walker showed me something last night that RJ doesn't process and that is a more all-around game. He took the ball to the basket left and right. He handle the ball better than RJ. We aren't even going to talk about his jump shooting. You want to be save and take RJ. Well, we got him and I'm not please at all. Again, I don't drink the Duke kool-aid. I don't see the HYPE!!

A #3 pick should be dynamic player. One that should start but command big minutes because what he bring to the table. One that can change a game on both in of the floor. One that his teammates look at him when they need a basket. One that when you coming off the floor during a time-out and the other team just make a run at you and they look at him!!! Question: Is RJ that type of player??? Quote YOU " if it doesn’t, you still made the right call". If doesn't you didn't make the right call. You don't have to give a position to the player I just describe. HE EARNED IT!!

I not be around in 2024 so I want Mills, Perry, Fiz, everybody in the Front office, everybody draft this year and all of the F.A signed this year GONE!!! IMMEDIATELY!!!

mafra

Legend
I?m not sure if you follow HS b-ball, FIBA, the All-American circuit.... but, if not, I hope you realize that RJ Barrett, at this time last year, just 12 months ago, was the unquestionable top overall pick in the 2019 and 2020 Draft Class... and 1 of the better top prospects to come out in some time.... The kid should?ve been playing HS last season but reclassified bc he wanted chance to play with Zion.
You realize that? He should be a freshman at Duke this season.

RJ has been dominating all levels of play, at high level competition, since he was 13.

The kid is 19 years old, is 6?7? AND TWO HUNDRED & FIFTEEN pounds. I mean, what are you looking for from your starting SG?

For a G, he has a prototypical body type.... he already has a post game and can rebound. He doesn?t mind contact!

I don?t want quality.... I want quality. I understand diversifying risk, and seeking 2:1 when circumstances warrant it... but I didn?t want the kid from VA or Texas Tech plus another mid-rounder.

I wanted Zion, JA, or RJ. I?m tired of losing... we finally won something and some wanted to trade that away, like that has ever worked out for us?

Ian Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

The Knicks may not know who their starting point guard is yet, but it's seems like they have shooting guard figured out.

Rookie R.J. Barrett locked that position up with a strong performance in the Knicks' preseason finale on Friday. He had 19 points (9-for-12 shooting), six rebounds and three assists in a loss to New Orleans.

"He's a very good player," Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry said Friday night. "?. Good scorer. He's obviously worked on his body and gotten stronger. I think that's gonna help. He's a playmaker. He's a kid that's learning the game and I think you can see he's going to be a really really good player in this league for a lot of years."

He doesn't look like a rookie," David Fizdale said. "He's a tough kid. He really knows how to play and he's fearless."

tiger0330

Legend

This is what the Post wrote about the kid in his 4 games. I'd say he's multidimensional esp for a rookie.

Overall in the four games, Barrett showed he can play with pace, rebound, move the ball and defend. He averaged 15.8 points, 3.3 assists and 6.8 rebounds, shooting 46.3 percent overall – 33 percent from 3-point land.