Game thread: New York Knicks @ Brooklyn Nets 7:30 10/25/2019 [Game #2]

Kiyaman

Legend
Well, the Knicks players Trier, Morris, and Gibson played some great hustle defense to get us back into the game, and Ellington's 3-3 from the 3-ball line gave us a chance for the win. It was to to bad we had no coaches design play to use twice on offense to boost our 3 pt lead. Nor did we have a coach design play to score 2 pts to tie the game to go to overtime. All we had was Fizdale's offense of ISO and 3 ball shooting !!!
Fizdale is coaching our rookie RJ all wrong .. our rookie RJ doesn't have the NBA experience to defend the league stars in the step back 3-ball shot.

Re-watching the 2nd half on DVR.

10 point comeback in the 4th quarter and then we blew a 5 point lead to lose by 4.

Our guys fought hard. Kept coming back and attacking. Lots of our guys made plays.

The truth is that we?re going to be playing at a handicap all season because our PG play is going to be the league worst. DSJ was so bad in 5 1st quarter minutes that Fizdale never played him again. Fizdale didn?t even want to give Ntilikina a single minute.

Fizdale is going to be playing lineups without a true PG all season probably.

This is the kind of thing where you just hope that the Knicks bring the 2nd half effort they brought tonight starting from the opening tip tomorrow night. Show some consistent growth. Try to turn a corner here.

Kyrie turned it on when it mattered most in the final minute of the 4th hitting 2 tough contested shots from long range. He was the difference tonight. Knicks win tonight without Kyrie bringing it in late game isolation hero ball.

On that final play down by 2, Randle had Allen beat with that spin post move, but he dribbled off Allen?s shoe and it then hit his shoe and went out of bounds. Brutal turnover to essentially end the game.

Kiyaman

Legend
Re-watching the 2nd half on DVR.

10 point comeback in the 4th quarter and then we blew a 5 point lead to lose by 4.

Our guys fought hard. Kept coming back and attacking. Lots of our guys made plays.

The truth is that we?re going to be playing at a handicap all season because our PG play is going to be the league worst. DSJ was so bad in 5 1st quarter minutes that Fizdale never played him again. Fizdale didn?t even want to give Ntilikina a single minute.

Fizdale is going to be playing lineups without a true PG all season probably.

Fizdale has NO PLAYS, nor offensive-system to give to any of the Knicks 3 PG .. Its score on ISO, or score on broken plays.
DSJ should be picking n roll with Randle, Portis, and Knox to become a scoring threat.
Payton & Frank need the ball-movement to get more than one touch after they pass the ball to be effective on the offensive-end.
Knox need several design plays for his jumper and slashing to the basket.
The rookie RJ at the PG are a NO Experience JOKE for a Knick LOSS !!!
I dont believe its Fizdale orders to give rookie RJ 37 minute playingtime, or to put RJ in the starter PG spot.
Nor do I believe its Fizdale that put Frank in the DOG house.
Those are orders from upstairs in the Knicks front-office !!!

tiger0330

Legend
Quite possibly, we play them 4 times before the deadline...I say if we're 0-3 by December against them and with a horrible record he's likely a goner
He?s going to be the fall guy, Mills and Perry aren?t going to admit they?re the problem. Good riddance, the guy is 90% BS anyway.

mafra

Legend
Good game tonight. We played sloppy, missed a ton of easy looks, had a. Inch of silly turnovers, but they battled and played with moxy. I?ll give them that.

We?re gonna struggle to win games this year if DSJ and Randle can?t score in demand. These are the 2, this is their time, and without that... we?re gonna fall short most nights.

Fiz blew another game forcing RJ at the PG down the stretch. Where was Trier during crunch time? Where was EP?

This is on Fiz. He?s gotta learn to close too.

But, big picture, I like the style. Play defense, hit some threes. Develop chemistry. I can see this group as a nucleus of something, especially if they stick together 3-4 years. Tonight inspired hope for the future.

Last edited:

paris401

Starter
Good game tonight. We played sloppy, missed a ton of easy looks, had a. Inch of silly turnovers, but they battled and played with moxy. I’ll give them that.
sounds like a repeat of last year

We’re gonna struggle to win games this year if DSJ and Randle can’t score in demand. These are the 2, this is their time, and without that... we’re gonna fall short most nights.
sounds like a repeat of last year ... just sub diff players

Fiz blew another game forcing RJ at the PG down the stretch. Where was Trier during crunch time? Where was EP?
sounds like a repeat of last year ... just sub diff players

This is on Fiz. He’s gotta learn to close too.
sounds like a repeat of last year ...

But, big picture, I like the style. Play defense, hit some threes. Develop chemistry. I can see this group as a nucleus of something, especially if they stick together 3-4 years. Tonight inspired hope for the future.

lets keep in mind, our FA class except for randle are signed for 1year....

plop..plop..fizz..fizz .. oh what a relief it will be ...when they fire his a$$

Your whole comment hit on everything that should be done. I agree 100%!!! I think you got something in trying to make RJ a 6th man.

Are SERIOUS!! You want to keep this group together for 3-4 years?? You got to be kidding.... There no way in Hell this group can win anything. It too many odd players to make into a contender. Mills and Perry didn't think of that because they had no plan B or C or D. They just sign whoever is available and trying to sell us the fans another 'Pipe Dream'.

Nobody force Fiz to play RJ at PG. So let get that out of the way. If they(Fiz and Management) quit trying to make RJ a superstar the team would better for the team. Giving him a starting position is a mistake. He never earn it(Like E.F. Hutton).

Who played any defense?? Didn't see any signs of good defense.

EVERYBODY!!! There a bigger problem in these first 2 loses. That is REBOUNDING!!! How do you solve this problem? Just think about it.

tiger0330

Legend
Are SERIOUS!! You want to keep this group together for 3-4 years?? You got to be kidding.... There no way in Hell this group can win anything. It too many odd players to make into a contender. Mills and Perry didn't think of that because they had no plan B or C or D. They just sign whoever is available and trying to sell us the fans another 'Pipe Dream'.

Nobody force Fiz to play RJ at PG. So let get that out of the way. If they(Fiz and Management) quit trying to make RJ a superstar the team would better for the team. Giving him a starting position is a mistake. He never earn it(Like E.F. Hutton).

Who played any defense?? Didn't see any signs of good defense.

EVERYBODY!!! There a bigger problem in these first 2 loses. That is REBOUNDING!!! How do you solve this problem? Just think about it.
I am sure Fiz would love to play DSJ or Nits at the point but RJ might be the second best PG he has. Both those guys couldn't play for G League teams right now. I'm hoping to see Kadeem soon maybe he can be the backup PG, he had some moments last season.

Last night game:
For the Knicks I thought that Knots and Ellington played pretty good. Knots still has his defensive lapse but I was impress by him taking the ball to the basket and more on his 3 point shooting. Same goes for Ellington...he hit some big 3's. Just wondering in the 3rd quarter I was thinking where is Ellington. Should have been the starting SG but that going to be an issue very soon. DSJ has lost his confident!!! His jumper is horrible thanks to coach Smart.

Secondly is very troubling: Why would you have RJ on Irving defending the last shot?? Maybe some of you remember last year London game. The game start with Washington center scoring the first 3 baskets. The Wizards coach pocket that play on Fiz and didn't run it again until the final play of the game. That is when Fiz had Trier a rookie on the floor instead of Frank. Trier trying to be the savior in up goal-tenting and we lost the game. RJ was 6 or 7 feet off of Irving. Irving was getting beat all night on defense. SO WHY??

Thirdly is Rebounding: We are getting beat on the board the first 2 game of the season. I think we were out rebounded in the last two games of preseason. Nobody seen to be talking about this but how to you expect to win if you are being beat on the boards?

Out of the Newbie: Morris and Ellington are playing good considering the circumstances. Bobby and Gibson are horrible. Not impress with Randle play and I think he is pressing. He may need to let the game come to him.

mafra

Legend
RJ 2-4 from Downtown and kept us in game, whenever it got close to getting out of hand. He outplayed Lavert, who is 6 years older and impacted game on both sides of the floor.

I like our young talented front court and feel Chemistry could have them a ferocious unit if they play together for 3-4 years.

Knox and Trier gave me goosebumps bc that is them at their best!

Kiyaman

Legend
RJ 2-4 from Downtown and kept us in game, whenever it got close to getting out of hand. He outplayed Lavert, who is 6 years older and impacted game on both sides of the floor.

I like our young talented front court and feel Chemistry could have them a ferocious unit if they play together for 3-4 years.

The final minute of the 3rd qtr. Nets 92 - Knicks 77 .. Trier goes on a run to end the 3rd qtr. Nets 94 Knicks 83.
Trier Ellington Knox Morris and Gibson start the 4th qtr to chip at the Nets lead in 4 minute Knicks 94 - Nets 102.
Randle comes in for Gibson, and RJ comes in for Trier, and Ellington's 3-3 from the 3-ball line gave the Knicks the lead 109-106 having 3 minute of crunch-time left in the game.
Less than one minute left in the game Knicks up 109-108 and Kyrie does a step back 3-ball on rookie RJ for a Nets 111-109 lead.
The Knicks go ISO-Randle twice on the offensive-end for a miss and a turnover for another Knicks loss.
Two Knick losses having No Frank & Dotson! And No Knick win !!!
How many more games will it take for Knicks head-coach Fizdale to get 20 Knicks wins ???????

Outplayed Lavert... Well RJ played 11 minutes more than Lavert and had 4 pt more, 1 rebound more and 1 assist less. Now if you call that outplaying if all things are equal then those 11 minutes would translate into about 6 pt, huh. So that mean Lavert outscored RJ, huh. Why don't you quit trying to make a 'silk purse from a sow ear'. It bad enough that Fiz and management are pushing him into this superstar roll. They gave him a starting job that he didn't earn. Dotson is still on this team and until he shows me he's a better player than Dotson, I'll drink the kool-aid. Dotson is the most well-rounded player on this team and hasn't got off the bench. Now what does that say about them starting RJ. Because RJ isn't well rounded and if you think he is look at his offense(going left and push off with the right hand, THIS AIN'T DUKE) & defense when he is gasping his man jersey from behind. Have you ever saw Dotson going to Ref. begging for calls. The he entitle to special privileges because he from Duke and a Coach K product. GIVE ME A DAMN BREAK!!!

BTW, what did RJ do especially on defense that was an impact?? I saw the game, so be careful.

This unit want be together pass this season probably. The only player will be Randle only because he sign a long deal. But I would be looking to get rid of them as soon as I can find someone to take him. This is another mistake. I would have sign D. Cousins and my 3 draft picks(trading back from #3 that has no impact player & trading DSJ) and bought back Kornet, Mudiay and D. Rose if he wanted.