home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Chicago BullsNew York Knicks
Chandler Hutchison - Hamstring injury (OUT)Reggie Bullock - Cervical disc herniation (OUT)
-Dennis Smith Jr - Personal reasons (OUT)
--

Game Preview

The Chicago Bulls and New York Knicks endured similar experiences Saturday night by getting blitzed in their home openers against upper echelon Eastern Conference opponents.

After ugly showings in their respective home openers, the teams hope to deliver better efforts Monday night when the Bulls visit the winless Knicks.

Both teams are playing their fourth games of the season, and their third contests produced ugly results on the end of a back-to-back.

After splitting games in Charlotte and Memphis, Chicago shot a dreadful 29.9 percent in a 108-84 loss to the defending champion Toronto Raptors with no player scoring more than 12 points. The Bulls led by five in the second quarter but allowed a 17-4 run before halftime and trailed by as many as 26 and got dominated on the glass by a 59-45 margin.

"We didn't put our foot on the pedal, we didn't do a good job," Bulls coach Jim Boylen said after his team allowed Toronto to shoot 61 percent in the decisive third quarter. "We turned it over, we turned it over, we subbed, and then we turned over it again. We kind of got them back in the game. I thought we could've maybe extended that thing to 10, maybe to 11, and the game changes."

Wendell Carter Jr. led the Bulls with 12 points and 11 rebounds, but Zach LaVine was held to 11 points on 4-of-13 shooting from the floor after getting 37 Friday. Lauri Markkanen also was held to nine points for the second consecutive night after totaling 35 in the season opener.

At least the Bulls can say they own a win. The Knicks are 0-3 after getting dominated in the fourth quarter of a 118-95 loss to the Boston Celtics. After single-digit losses in San Antonio and Brooklyn, New York shot 38.8 percent, allowed 36 points off 26 turnovers and got outscored 36-19 in the fourth quarter.

"That was an embarrassing second half that we put forth out there," Knicks coach David Fizdale said. "We gave up 72 points. First time we got punched and didn't answer the bell. That's very disappointing."

The dismal second-half showing spoiled another productive night from rookie RJ Barrett. Barrett scored 26 points Saturday and is averaging 21.0 points on 51 percent shooting so far.

Barrett's play is a bright spot on a team whose issues are moving the ball consistently and a muddled point guard situation.

New York finished with 15 assists, marking its second straight game under 20. New York got a combined eight points from Elfrid Payton and Dennis Smith Jr., who were a combined 2-of-10 from the floor while Frank Ntilikina played 18 seconds as fans loudly chanted his name once things began slipping away.

"We don't trust, we don't move the ball," Fizdale said. "And it's setting our defense back because teams just run out on us from there"

It is possible Fizdale could trot out a different starting lineup as the Knicks look to avoid starting 0-4 for the first time since winning 23 games under Larry Brown in 2005-06.

"It's three games in," Fizdale said. "It's not like 20 games into the season. But other guys will get opportunities. That's how it will work. You either perform and get it done or you're not."

New York is 10-5 in the last 15 meetings with Chicago.

(Field Level Media / cbssports.com)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
DSJ out for tonight's game, the kid is dealing with a death in his family so that might explain why he's been so washed these games, hope it's not a close relative.
This however might mean that Frank's gonna get some minutes

LE: just read on the other thread that it's his step mother that passed away, that must be tough for him..

tiger0330

Legend
It's his step mom that passed, condolences to him and his family.

It's a real opportunity for Ntilikina with DSJ out a few games. If he steps up and has an impact tonight and we come away with a W, I can't see DSJ getting back into the rotation when he comes back.

When you?re a young team, every game is a chance to do better.

Better ball movement, better team defense, better shot selection. Under Fizdale, I?m not sure any of our guys know how to do better.

I think he should get half a season, at most, to show that he is doing enough to make our young guys better.

Mike Miller waiting on the bench and several good options waiting at home for the phone to ring.

Statistically, RJ is having a great start to his rookie season. Not seeing a win in a Knicks uniform is going to start to wear on him I?ll bet though.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks Rady .... My condolence goes out to DSJ .. will our LOSER coach give Frank some decent minutes throughout the game? I doubt it!
Our LOSER coach Fizdale has never given Frank any decent minute to where I could blame Frank for one of Fizdale's 68 Knicks losses.
Tonight, Fizdale has to give Frank minute to control the dynamic rookie Coby White & Zach from controlling the tempo of the game throughout 48 minutes

Broadway

All Star
Let him play, WE WANT STANK FRANK everyone has been belly aching going on 3yrs now and things will be so much better if we do

He comes in to today?s game against a team much a Motley Crue of Misfits As we are...with the bar set as low as it could be by fellow back court teammates and he STINKS up the first half

Yuck 🤢

Kiyaman

Legend
These lazy starts have the Knicks playing comeback b.ball from double digit deficits it's getting old.
Preparation falls on Fiz this team comes out flat as hell every game.
I feel like we have no coach. No system,set plays,adjustments,etc.

Kiyaman

Legend
Truth is to be honest this is the first game it actually looks like we are trying to run something. Our guys just need to start hitting shots.
Ball moving a little better but not enough. Randle and Morris still doing too much iso. Frank didnt score but his defense still is an asset. RJ starting off slow but got it going. MitchRob makes such an impact especially with Randle struggling. Portis played well too gotta give props