Game thread: New York Knicks @ Orlando Magic 7:00 10/30/2019 [Game #5]

mafra

Legend
Plus why for all his supposed defensive prowess does he never record a block or steal in his box score. Zero steals and zero blocks in 2 straight games. Fiz not giving him the reins when there is no one besides a 19 yr old RJ who really shouldn’t be playing PG says something about him or Fizdale.

Frank is just a tall, lanky dude with athleticism and everybody told him to play hoops.... his physical gifts and bad talent in France gave him an in, and hoops provided a nice life for the young man.

I think he has zero.... and I mean zero b-ball intelligence and instincts. This, I assumed he possessed bc we scouted him and rostered him for 3 years. Foolish me.

He?ll never amount to anything more than a guy who can stay in front of another guy

He can?t steal The ball or block a shot bc he has no understanding of what?s going on around him.

mafra

Legend
One scout who watched Monday's Knicks-Bulls game -- when Portis went off for 28 points -- suggested that Portis and Randle or Portis and Morris could be a combination worth looking at. But the scout suggested that having Randle and Morris on the court together would lead to inefficiencies on offense.

Randle ranks in the top 20 in the NBA in isolation plays so far. But he averaging .22 points per play on those possessions -- the lowest among the 20 players who have isolated the most this season. Just 10 percent of Randle's isolation possessions have resulted in points thus far.

S ome unsightly numbers for New York through four games: They rank second-to-last in the league in assist percentage and 28th in turnover percentage. While they're scoring well off of turnovers they force, the Knicks are also allowing the most points off of turnovers in the league. They also have the second most unassisted field goals in the NBA. David Fizdale has been preaching the importance of ball movement since the beginning of training camp. You haven't seen the results, consistently, on the floor yet.

Broadway

All Star
My lasting image of Frank will be those 2 plays tonight late in game, when it was close...

He?s dribbling ball up, a quasi fast break.... his man off him and giving him right side.... nobody protecting basket.... a foot race to rim for easy layup... A big thought of racing into lane, saw who had ball, and pulled up and looked at perimeter to anticipate passing lane. Nobody thought he would try to drive...

Then, 4 point game and OrL passes ball right into Frank?s cheat... ball bounces off his stone hands, ORL gets ball back and drains a 3.

Game set match. Send bum to D league. Let Dotson be next man up.

Brutal

I?m stuck at work couldn?t watch game but what you just described sounds traumatizing live, as a fan.

Probably will skip over h the highlights when I get home. Simply maddening and to be quite FRANK cuhz he isn?t one inkling of the talent we?d hope he?d be...(you know more Rondo and less MCW) is the main reason we have such a dire straits situation at PG.

mafra

Legend
Even when Frank finally scored, it was a low IQ shot. Foot on line... no 3... why is he taking a long 2?

I could live with a steady defensive cover guy, who doesn?t create many turnovers and doesn?t score.... but not if he has Zero b-ball intelligence or instinct. There is no ceiling with him, not a floor.... he has no passions and doesn?t seem to enjoy the game.

Very disappointing....

I?m also shocked Randle is this bad offensively. When I watched him he seemed decent enough.... do we have scouts? Do people even look
Into players we bring in?

Broadway

All Star
I could live with a steady defensive cover guy, who doesn?t create many turnovers and doesn?t score.... but not if he has Zero b-ball intelligence or instinct. There is no ceiling with him, not a floor.... he has no passions and doesn?t seem to enjoy the game.

Very disappointing....

I?m also shocked Randle is this bad offensively. When I watched him he seemed decent enough.... do we have scouts? Do people even look
Into players we bring in?

I think Randle will be better if we could just find something close to a solid PG. He played very well with Russell/Ball/Holiday/Payton

mafra

Legend
I think Randle will be better if we could just find something close to a solid PG. He played very well with Russell/Ball/Holiday/Payton

Yes! Let Randle do what he excels at... don?t diminish him asking him to run the offense!!!

RJ has first clunker... but...

Ian Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

A Western Conference scout who watched the Knicks throughout Summer League came away wondering if RJ Barrett would be able to compete in the NBA as a rookie.

He had questions about Barrett's shooting, ability to get by defenders and overall athleticism.

That same scout watched Barrett on Monday night, nearly four months later, and came away with a different impression.

"He looked like a different player," the scout said. "I couldn't believe it. He didn't press, didn't force anything. Looks like the Knicks have something special here."

Barrett's numbers through four games put him in elite company.

He's the youngest player in NBA history to have at least 80 points and 30 rebounds in his opening four games, per Forbes. He had 19 points, 15 rebounds and five assists in the Knicks' win over the Bulls on Monday. He's the first Knicks rookie since Clyde Frazier to have at least 19 points, 15 rebounds and five assists in a game.

Overall, Barrett is second among rookies in scoring with 20.5 points per game (Heat G Kendrick Nunn is averaging 21 points per game), is hitting 47 percent of his threes and pulling down 7.5 rebounds per game.

"I don't think any of us would have predicted this after Las Vegas," the scout said.

Another scout interviewed for this story said that the league knew that Barrett would try to go to his left regularly after what they saw at Duke, but he was surprised to see that Barrett has still been so effective on offense given that tendency.

"The way he uses his strength and takes advantage of an angle on drives and creates space around the basket has been impressive," the scout said. "You don't see that out of many rookies."

Evaluators wondered if Barrett could defend in the NBA. And while he hasn't been Bruce Bowen on that end of the floor, one scout said the rookie has exceeded his expectations. "His instincts are better than what we saw coming out of college," the Eastern Conference scout said. "The drive (to play defense) has always seemed to be there, but he's used his strength well to be disruptive on that end of the floor."

Barrett is averaging 2.0 steals per game for New York through four games. The Knicks are being outscored by 1.5 points per game during Barrett's minutes (he's averaging 37 per game) but that's not an accurate indication of his defense.

"He fights on that end," another scout said. "And his athleticism and strength leads you to conclude that he has an upside there."

The scout notes that Barrett has been more effective in transition and as a ball-handler in the pick-and-roll than he expected. The numbers support that. Per NBA.com, Barrett leads the Knicks in pick-and-roll plays when he's the ball handler and is in the middle of the pack for points produced on those plays among NBA players with at least 20 such possessions.

Barrett also ranks in the top 25 in points per possession among the roughly 100 players who have at least 10 possessions in transition, per NBA.com.

"There definitely seems to be a player here," the Western Conference scout who watched Barrett in Summer League play said. "If he continues to improve his shot and individual defense, he can be an impact guy on both ends. New York has something to work with."

Randle was 3 assists away from a triple double. Portis had another double double off the bench. We need more from someone else on a night like this. Tough to win when basically no one gets hot the entire game and your free throw shooting stinks.

tiger0330

Legend
Have to give credit to the Orlando D. They are currently ranked second after the Jazz in PPG allowed so far this season, they are holding opponents to 98 ppg.

mafra

Legend
Ellington 1-7.
Knox 3-10.
Frank didn?t score in second half.
Dotson had 4 points.
RJ with 9.

You can?t win on road, against a playoff team last year, when you get nothing but crickets and cold sores from your back court.

mafra

Legend
Have to give credit to the Orlando D. They are currently ranked second after the Jazz in PPG allowed so far this season, they are holding opponents to 98 ppg.

The silver lining is we had a chance in all 3 road games this year, against playoff teams.

Bad news is we completely collapsed in all 3, which is to be expected bc this group has been together for only 3 weeks.

Kiyaman

Legend
Well, expecting two Fizdale wins in a row are asking to hit the million $$$ Lottery .. I will admit I was digging the 2nd unit lineup of Frank Dotson Knox Gibson and Portis, the ball-movement in the lineup did force each of the players to take a inside shot (even Frank LOL). I was expecting to see the same 2nd unit lineup on the court in the 2nd half of the game, which Fiz did not do. The starter lineup would have been a lot better having Payton instead of Ellington, especially in the 2nd half of the game.
Fizdale's record stands at 18-69 .. how many more Knick games will it take for Fizdale to reach 20 Knick wins ???
In other words .. which will Fizdale reach first? 20 wins or 75 losses ???

Kiyaman

Legend
Ellington 1-7.
Knox 3-10.
Frank didn’t score in second half.
Dotson had 4 points.
RJ with 9.

You can’t win on road, against a playoff team last year, when you get nothing but crickets and cold sores from your back court.

And Morris & Randle having consecutive turn-overs and silly missed shots in crunch-time, plus Morris 2-11 shooting, and the 7-31 3-ball shooting SMH

mafra

Legend
Yes. Running Morris, Randle, Portis, Frank around perimeter, only to isolate Randle in high post, with MRob somewhere.... well, this is why they had more turnovers than made shots final 5 minutes.

mafra

Legend
NY Post:

Ntilikina ? who finished with seven points, four assists, four rebounds and was a plus-2 ? was more effective running the team and even drained a 34-foot shot near half-court to end the first quarter.

Fizdale kept the French lottery pick out of the starting lineup to spare him from foul trouble, the coach said.

?We know this is a decision that the coach makes,?? Ntilikina said. ?As players, every player has got to be ready for any roles the coach wants them to do. So this is my mindset. It?s all about the team, all about where I fit the best.??

The outset of the second half went awry with the Barrett-Ellington backcourt, as Orlando jumped out to a 7-0 lead, forcing Fizdale to call a timeout.

No one will know if the Knicks would have won had Ntilikina started, but it would be shocking if he didn?t get the nod Friday in Boston.

?Fantastic,?? Fizdale said of Ntilikina?s play off the bench. ?I thought he played a great floor game. He really defended, got us organized. Helped our pace. He?s playing with a lot of confidence and I love seeing that.?

(Didn?t Fiz say identical thing last game)?

Ntilikina, who wore a pad on his neck after an on-court collision, said the endgame will come.

?We played against a team that has been together for a long time,?? Ntilikina said. ?Close games like that, what matters at the end of the game I think are details and execution, little stuff, being together for three weeks and a half, a month, that kind of experience we?ve got to get time to get that kind of experience. And it will come. We had a playoff team in front of us. We let ourselves a chance to compete in that game. It?s a good thing. Now we?ve got to work on those little steps to be able to close games like this.?

?Two things happened in the fourth,?? Fizdale said. ?We didn?t come up with loose balls, two big ones, and the ball stopped moving.??

mafra

Legend
To be fair, since I trashed Frank.... I turned game on in fourth... didn?t see first 3 quarters...

mafra

Legend
NEW YORK -- Knicks guard Reggie Bullock took to Instagram on Wednesday afternoon to share a photo mourning the loss of his sister Keiosha Moore.

Moore, who sustained a fatal bullet wound to the chest, was one of nine people shot in Baltimore on Monday, according to a police spokesman. Three of those shot died. Moore was 22.

Bullock's sister Mia Henderson, who was a transgender woman, was stabbed to death in Baltimore in 2014. Henderson was the oldest of Bullock's four siblings and was 3? years older than him. At the time, Bullock played for the Los Angeles Clippers.

"I never felt so BROKEN in my life," Bullock said Wednesday on Instagram. "I failed as a brother to protect you from the harm of these streets. I FAILED TWICE, to be the TRUE BROTHERS KEEPER!"

According to police records, 283 people have been killed in Baltimore so far this year, up from 258 at the same time last year. Another 663 people have been wounded in shootings in 2019, compared to 553 at this time last year.

Last 5 to 3 minute of the game was to me the turning point. Before Fiz called time-out Randle, Morris and Portis starting going more ISO and stop moving the ball with Frank in the game. I wanted to say that to be fair about what I'm going to say now. Fiz calls time-out and take Frank out the game. Places RJ at the PG and he turn the ball over. Next possession Randle loses the ball out of bound. Not sure why he made these change. If you won the last game with Frank on the floor in the last minutes of the game. Why not keep that same pattern?

Did any of you notice that in the win over Bulls in the last few minutes. Fiz had RJ at PG instead of Frank. RJ was bring the ball up the court with Frank in the game. WHY??

Now last night with 3 minutes left in the game Fiz pull Frank and put RJ at the PG. WHY??

Fiz wanted any late game hero to be RJ and Randle. What did both do during crunch time? Turn the ball over(RJ) and Lose the ball out of bound(Randle). These are signs of trying to make a HERO or a STAR. I would be very scare right now if I was compare the Melo.

VERY HAPPY to see Fiz playing Dotson. He still doesn't have his game legs yet but he play good.

mafra

Legend
Every game we?ve lost this year was bc of this nonsense of running RJ at the point and Randle as point forward. This is netting us probably a half point per possession!

RJ isn?t a PG and Randle not a point forward! Don?t ask them to be something they aren?t.