home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksBoston Celtics
Elfrid Payton - Strained right hamstring (OUT)Jaylen Brown - Illness (QUEST)
Reggie Bullock - Cervical disc herniation (OUT)Enes Kanter - Left Knee Contusion (OUT)
Kadeem Allen - Strained right foot (OUT)Daniel Theis - Left Ankle Sprain (PROB)
Dennis Smith - Personal reasons (QUEST)-

Time for Frank to start!
duz4k2nelyv31.jpg

Game Preview

The New York Knicks get a chance to avenge the low point of their young season Friday night when they get a rematch with the host Boston Celtics.

The Knicks were generally uncompetitive in a 118-95 home loss to Boston on Saturday, a game in which the Celtics scorched the nets from beyond the arc, outscoring New York 45-21 on 3-pointers en route to the victory.

Knicks coach David Fizdale let his club know his thoughts about the performance after the game.

"We got punched and didn't answer the bell," he insisted to reporters. "That's very disappointing."

The Knicks responded with a 105-98 home win over the Chicago Bulls two nights later before beginning a two-game trip with a 95-83 loss at the Orlando Magic on Wednesday.

They played the Orlando game without Dennis Smith Jr., who has left the team for personal reasons. He did not make the trip to Boston.

New York hopes to get Elfrid Payton (strained right hamstring) back for the game to share time at the point with Frank Ntilikina, who was a bright spot in the loss to the Magic with seven points, four rebounds and four assists off the bench.

Ntilikina, the former first-round pick, had played a total of just three minutes in New York's first three games before getting 22 minutes against Chicago, then 29 against Orlando.

The game represents a homecoming for Marcus Morris, who made 74 starts the last two seasons for the Celtics.

He got a one-year, $15 million deal from the Knicks in free agency over the summer after ranking second on the Celtics in rebounds (6.1) last season and fourth in scoring (13.9).

Morris had 12 points and seven rebounds against his former teammates last week.

While the Knicks have lost four of five, the Celtics haven't lost since opening night, rattling off three consecutive wins, including two at home against two Eastern heavyweights, the Toronto Raptors and Milwaukee Bucks.

The Bucks had the Celtics 19 points down on Wednesday night before the home team exploded in the second half for a 116-105 win.

Celtics head coach Brad Stevens applauded the resiliency.

"The key is how you handle good nights and then how you handle the storms that come invariably in the season," he told reporters after the game. "I'm really encouraged because when this team was in there at halftime, they were saying all the right things, they were thinking all the right things."

The Celtics played that game without guard Jaylen Brown, who was out with an illness. He remains questionable for Friday night.

Kemba Walker led the earlier win over the Knicks, hitting seven 3-pointers en route to 32 points.

Rookie RJ Barrett had 26 points in 37 minutes for New York, but has since totaled just 28 points in two games despite continuing to log substantial minutes.

The 19-year-old became the first teenager this season to log 40 or more minutes when he went 40 in Monday's win over the Bulls.

(Field Level Media / cbssports.com)

Thanks, Rady.

Another loss tonight and we fall to 1 - 5. In some ways, we?ve been better than I expected, but there is still a distinct possibility we are the worst team in the NBA again this year. Maybe Fizdale only deserves 25 games or so to prove we are making any kind of process before it?s time to pull the plug on him. Unless, of course, the front office wants him to lose to secure another lottery pick, in which case we are going to see him all year.

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks Rady for the game thread. Like the starting lineup shows, Fizdale flip flopped on his starting PG from RJ to Ntilikina citing his performance against Kemba in the FIBA games as the reason, we should make Mafra the coach because he pointed that out in the last Celtics game.

Getting to like Fizdale less and less with his latest flip flop and with him seemingly looking for excuses if the Knicks go on an extended losing streak blaming all his new players and the need for them to develop chemistry together. I think you could say that about a lot of rosters in the league with the amount of players that changed teams this off-season.

Great opportunity for Frank to prove his naysayers wrong by seizing the opportunity to win the starting PG spot tonight. He’s never scored 20 pts in an NBA game, tonight would be a good game to be aggressive on the offensive end, take the open shot, drive the lane to create shots for his teammates, push the pace in transition and have that breakthrough 20 pt scoring game.

tiger0330

Legend
I did say when Nits shut down Kemba in FIBA that it was because Kemba had an off night (he didn’t play well against the backup French PG Albicy either), but if Ntilikina can shut down Kemba tonight it won't be a coincidence or luck. Maybe Frank won't score 20 but past history says he doesn't have to, we just need a win against the Celts to prove his value.

I think the only thing that is going to change Ntilikina?s standing with this franchise when DSJ and Payton return is if we win games when Ntilikina plays a large role. I?d be shocked to see Ntilikina score 10 points and he never seems to rack up any significant number of assists (which really limits the Rondo comparison).

paris401

Starter
rip-van-dickhead here ... just woke up.... are we in 2019???... seems to be a repeat of 2018/2017/2016.... i'm going to take another nap and wake up in 2020.... maybe to a better record...

Really like what Randle and Portis are doing out there together. Not pretty, but effective.

You can set your watch by MRob getting 2 fouls within the 1st five minutes of every 1st quarter.

tiger0330

Legend
RJ now the PG with Nits sitting and right away he takes the ball end to end for a driving layup. You can see why Fiz would go with RJ over Frank at PG. Just much more of a PG than Frank.

We lead by 1 after the 1st quarter.

There are times where we look like we actually have a plan out there. Good ball movement at times.

tiger0330

Legend
RJ now the PG with Nits sitting and right away he takes the ball end to end for a driving layup. You can see why Fiz would go with RJ over Frank at PG. Just much more of a PG than Frank.
RJ now out and Nits back in to finish the qtr. Knicks have a 1 pt lead after the first. 23-22.

Ntilikina just got an offensive board and missed a point blank layup. His offensive game is just brutal.

tiger0330

Legend
Ntilikina just got an offensive board and missed a point blank layup. His offensive game is just brutal.
How do you trust a guy that blows a give me layup after being in the NBA 3 seasons. There was no one near him and most guys could make that shot with their eyes closed

Broadway

All Star
Fiz tried to call himself starting STANK FRANK to guard Kemba and Stevens offensive game plan went totally away from him 1rst qrt.

Thus they were never really matched against each other and Mitch was put into many PNR switches getting into foul trouble. Although STANK FRANK did have a nice chase down block and rattled rimmed a 3 he had an unforced carry violation and couldn't make a point blank layup

He's definitely still full of Amateur play. A comical player in general. He needs to go to the G-League

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks take a 1 point lead into the locker room. RJ and MM with 11. Celts w/o Jalen and playing a lot of rookies this game, Grant Williams. Carson Edwards, Pourier. Knicks have a chance to steal this one with their vets.

Kiyaman

Legend
Fiz tried to call himself starting STANK FRANK to guard Kemba and Stevens offensive game plan with totally away from him 1rst qrt.

Thus they were never really matched against each other and Mitch was put into many PNR switches getting into foul trouble. Although STANK FRANK did have a nice chase down block and rattled rimmed a 3 he had an unforced carry violation and couldn't make a point blank layup

He's definitely still full of Amateur play. A comical player in general. He needs to go to the G-League

Y'all need to get off Frank .. and hope Boston don't repeat their 2nd half blow-out again like they did in MSG on opening night.
This is the first time Frank received above 12 minute of playing time in the first half of a game in 3 seasons.
Defense win games .. the Knicks defense STANK because Frank was always on the bench.

Broadway

All Star
The defensive Zen that is Fiz would rather Kemba go ISO against Portis and the rest of our Bigs.

What A Complete Joke!

When your starting PG plays 26 minutes across 3 quarters and has 0 assists, can you really call him your PG?