The Fire Fizdale Watch Thread

mafra

Legend
FYI... analytics driven front offices views season in 10 game chunks....

Fizdale is done. Only question is.... does Mills survive? Perry?

Bring in Mark Jax now... I trust him to coach up our kids.

tiger0330

Legend
Why the love for MJ other than he was a former Knick I'm not sure. He's had numerous opportunities to be hired as a head coach and come up short in his interviews so I'd ask why. A valid reason for a guy to be turned down is the reason TLue didn't get the Lakers job because he wanted a bigger deal than the Lakers were willing to give but if it's for reasons like he's not a leader, he did not work hard enough, maybe MJ shouldn't get the job.

mafra

Legend
MJax has respect of NYK fans and he was there at the beginning of the GSW run....

Not sure what other options....

I do believe we need to hire a replacement for Mills/Perry, to run the b-ball operations... and that person should make the HC hire.

Let's be smart about things. Nobody is going to resurrect this team now as it stand. There has to something done to the roster. Like...
1. Bench and Trade RJ. That Right.. RJ. While his hype stock is high trade him to Miami for Issac. Then reinstall Dotson in at the SG alone side of Frank.
2. Randle has to go because he doesn't play well with Morris. It to bad N.O. want take him back b/c I would like to get both Hayes and Walker. Not sure who would need him but he would be gone if it me as Pres. or GM. I got just maybe G.S. might trade the kid Paschall for Randle.
3. Trade DSJ to Nuggets. This is more for his own good than the Knicks. The fan base is after blood and he is easy pray right now. Denver have Porter Jr. on the bench. Yes, I'm going somewhere with these trade.

I have envision a line-up comprise of Robinson - C
Knox - PF
Issac - SF
Dotson or Porter Jr. - SG
Frank - PG

BENCH: Morris
Hayes
Walker
Trier ---Maybe
Paschall
Now how about a base coaching staff of Sean Silas(Paul Silas son), A. Dantley(School crossing guard) should be easy to sign, K. Garnett(Big man Coach). I change from Akeem O' to Garnett feeling it would be easier sign. Maybe Woodson if he would be interested.

Of course, the front office is man by Phil and Gaines. Conference final in two years.

Let not forget the muffling of Fiz by the front office this past summer after F.A. There was something wrong then and Fiz wasn't on board with whatever was decided. Being force to play RJ knowing what happen last year by not using Dotson 3 or 5 game during the start of the season. Look at what Dotson did last night. Dotson is a much better player than RJ. When do we have the luxury of not playing the best player. Maybe Fiz didn't like all of those odd pieces(players) that was sign by the front office.

mafra

Legend
Steve Mills is the common denominator of Knicks failure

By STEFAN BONDY
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
NOV 11, 2019 | 3:34 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...m3bfx5nmqcazahdzql4-story.html?outputType=amp

The greatest trick Steve Mills ever pulled was convincing Knicks fans he didn?t exist. For over 15 years, Mills has assumed a top executive role at Madison Square Garden, lording over one of the most dysfunctional and unfathomable situations in sports.

Yet Mills has survived in the shadows, distancing himself from one bad maneuver after another. He was the firestarter promoted to firefighter, equipped only with James Dolan?s trust and buzzwords like ?culture? and ?changing the perception.?

Mills? latest survival tactic was an impromptu press conference on Sunday night, when the Princeton grad declared himself and GM Scott Perry ?not happy with where we are right now. We think the team is not performing to the level that we anticipated or we expected to perform at.?

In other words, Mills believes he did a fine job in free agency (he called it ?successful? before the season) despite striking out on all his top targets. ESPN reported Monday that Mills has been laying the groundwork for the ?eventual dismissal? of Fizdale. That would represent the fifth coach fired with Mills as either GM or team president.
He?s great at finding fall guys.

?I got a two-and-a-half year contract,? Fizdale responded Monday when asked if he?s received any assurances concerning his job. ?That?s my assurance. That?s my business. The assurance is that I have a contract.?

Mills declined comment Monday.

To be clear, Fizdale has done a poor job as Knicks coach and deserves criticism for, among other things, failing to establish an identity. But firing the coach would be a band-aid on a bazooka wound. Fizdale isn?t the root of the problem.

There are precisely zero other NBA teams that would hire Mills to be its president of basketball operations. His work as an executive and talent evaluator would make David Kahn cringe.

Among Mills? first important decisions as an MSG business executive was hiring Isiah Thomas to run the Knicks. Great instincts. Mills then served as Anucha Browne Sanders? direct supervisor while she was allegedly being sexually harassed by Thomas. Browne Sanders testified that her pleas to Mills to interfere were largely ignored, and Mills once responded to complaints by telling her to ?be prepared that Isiah is going to start a rumor about you having an affair with (Knicks employee) Jeff Nix. ?I said, ?Steve, is that a threat?,?? according to Browne Sanders? testimony.

Mills denied this happened in court. Madison Square Garden was found liable for $11.6 million in damages.

Mills left MSG not long after that trial to work with Magic Johnson, and the Knicks enjoyed their best stretch of the millennium. They even won a playoff series. But then Dolan summoned Mills to replace GM Glen Grunwald and an avalanche of losing commenced. At the time of his return, Mills had no experience on the basketball operations side of an NBA team. But he has been either the GM or president for the last six years with a record of 165-337.

Mills likes to distance himself from Phil Jackson, which is indicative of a pervasive philosophy at MSG: pass the blame and survive. But the fact remains he was Jackson?s general manager. And when Lakers owner Jeanie Buss implied that Jackson was betrayed in New York, it was widely assumed she was talking about Mills as the Benedict Arnold.

?(Jackson) should?ve made sure (to control) who was surrounding him, because the people close to you will take the knife and put it in your back,? Buss told The Athletic.

After usurping Jackson, Mills? first two moves were signing Tim Hardaway Jr. for $71 million and Ron Baker for $9 million. Great instincts.

Baker is out of the NBA. Hardaway?s fate underscores the ineptitude: the contract became a predictable hindrance, so Mills used the best player on the roster ? Kristaps Porzingis ? as a means of shedding Hardaway. The goal of that trade was to create cap space to sign two players, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant, who instead joined the crosstown rival.

Mills fancies himself a player whisperer and relationship guru but couldn?t repair a partnership with Porzingis. Mills once lauded his ?hectic texting relationship? with the Latvian, and now it?s easy to believe the frenzied typing was all coming from one side.

After failing with Porzingis, Irving and Durant, Mills stocked the roster with high-priced role players that he expects Fizdale to mold into something much greater. Mills had $70 million in cap space as the president of a marquee franchise, and his concoction has a combined zero All-Star appearances.

?I think any roster can (rise up),? Fizdale said.

For six straight years of playoff-less basketball, the Knicks have only fallen. That predates Fizdale, Jeff Hornacek, Kurt Rambis and Derek Fisher.

Mills is the constant.

Kiyaman

Legend
Mills has been a loyal CEO in charge of booking several shows and acts in MSG during the 1990's when Knicks had JVG Ewing Oak & Starks.
Mills has never been a sports fanatic in Hockey or Basketball .. It's just no body wanted to be the person to replace HOF Phil Jackson as a coach or president. It's the same as no star FA wanted to sign on to replace MJ or Lebron .. so the organization has to select from the bottom of LOSERS for a replacement.

tiger0330

Legend
Here are the opponents for the next 10 games, only 3 road games in the next 10. His players know Fizdale is skating on thin ice, let's see if they commit to playing hard for Fizdale to save his job. If there was ever a wake up call for the team, that Mills presser was it. Maybe they can go 5-5 for Fiz.

Bulls Away
Mavs home
Hornets home
Cavs Home
Sixers Away
Spurs home
Nets home
Raps away
Sixers Home
Celts Home

mafra

Legend
Fiz won?t survive another 2-8 stretch, obviously. He is officially on notice. But it?s not fair on him, even if the inexperienced HC is making a ton of rookie mistakes.

He was hired bc he was a star-manager. His ability to mesh with max guys, as evident in MIA, was what brought him to NYC....

We were told he was a player?s coach, how stars responded to his message.... he was hired to attract those types of players.

Fiz has his choice of 4 teams (including PHO).... We had KP, coming back in a year, which meant a probably lottery kid too.... and he was promised a max free agent or two....

Fiz didn?t take this job to coach this roster!

We had 2 major ??? At PG and Perry brings in an oft-injured vet.... no insurance.

You think if we had Rubio or Conley we would be 2-8?

PG is the most important position, and we don?t have anybody. Plus, since we don?t have an alpha ball handler, we have PF trying to fill that void. Thus, we are turning role players into something they aren?t....

We have to give up the free agent dream. Use cap space to bring in help.... get assets for bad contracts....

I might even start with Paul. Give them Randle and get pucks from OKC (and that?s a pick to get!)

Paul would run and organize all the court action, thus allowing RJ, DSJ and Frank to develop at own pace. Paul will create for MRob and Knox.

Why are we holding back the kids hoping free agents come here in 2 years? This will stunt their development....

I?m fine with firings Fiz. Just dump Mills too.... get a PG... hire JVG or Mark Jax.... use the rest of this year and next to have those personalities....Paul and JVG.... to mold the identity of the kids.

mafra

Legend
?The people who should be taking the bullets for this mess are the ones who called for ? and did ? the press conference,?? one NBA personnel man said.

The Knicks do not have a player on the roster who has come close to making an All-Star team. League insiders believe practically every time the Knicks take the floor, the best player is on the other side.

mafra

Legend
Dolan needs to do what he did with hiring Phil.... he needs to let Perry and Mills go for the triple failure of alienating and trading KP, failing to even get a meeting with a free agent of note, then assembling this roster expecting anything more than what most predicted.

Fire the front office and use next few months to find the right mind.... in the meantime, call up your owner buddies and find us a PG. Start with Paul and go from there....

If Dolan is smart now is the time to add Magic Johnson as his go between Mills and Perry. This would let Magic start laying the ground work for Phil and Gaines return. Phil, Magic and Gaines could take over before mid-season or at the end. I would perfer mid-season in order to trade away some of those FA and RJ. Question - Why is free agency a disaster and our draft wasn't? Mills and Perry struck out in FA as well as the draft.

I would like the Knicks to build from the inside with young hungry players. Tell them they will get pay according to their perform on the court. Of course that would be the cap money. Let's forget about signing other team stars and FA. Build an enviroment within the team that if you perform well you will be reward and play in New York.

Kiyaman

Legend
Here are the opponents for the next 10 games, only 3 road games in the next 10. His players know Fizdale is skating on thin ice, let's see if they commit to playing hard for Fizdale to save his job. If there was ever a wake up call for the team, that Mills presser was it. Maybe they can go 5-5 for Fiz.

Bulls Away
Mavs home
Hornets home
Cavs Home
Sixers Away
Spurs home
Nets home
Raps away
Sixers Home
Celts Home

My intuition see 3 wins in the next 20 games under Fizdale's coaching, and Randle acting like Iso-Melo .. I would rather the Knicks (players) be coached by the interim head-coach the next 20 games.
It didn't look good when Dolan pulled Mills/Perry out of the Cavs game at halftime to tell them their job, "Fire coach Fizdale asap!" !!!
Fizdale was supposed to be Fired after the Kings game or the Detroit game .. after having a 17 win season, and having no court-chemistry from any of his previous season players !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
If Dolan is smart now is the time to add Magic Johnson as his go between Mills and Perry. This would let Magic start laying the ground work for Phil and Gaines return. Phil, Magic and Gaines could take over before mid-season or at the end. I would perfer mid-season in order to trade away some of those FA and RJ. Question - Why is free agency a disaster and our draft wasn't? Mills and Perry struck out in FA as well as the draft.

I would like the Knicks to build from the inside with young hungry players. Tell them they will get pay according to their perform on the court. Of course that would be the cap money. Let's forget about signing other team stars and FA. Build an enviroment within the team that if you perform well you will be reward and play in New York.

Your above comment has some good ideas in management, but that will only happen under a new Knicks owner ....
The Dolan's Knicks are not gonna change any spots .. and the low-level coaches and low level Players will always ask for a fortune to be a part of the Dolan Knicks .. It does not matter if Masai Ujiri were Knicks president, and coach Pop took the Knicks GM/coaching job. SMH

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Nothing about Mills indicates to me that he's an architect for an NBA quality roster. He's been around the game long enough to know not to bring on long contracts for mediocre players (though THJ was questionable at best), but frankly anyone that's followed the team for a few years can do that.

All that said, be it Mills, Perry or Fiz, who do you replace these guys with? That's what I want to know, Knicks Fans. It's real easy to chant fire this guy or fire that one, but who do you replace them with that we can actually get and that will likely produce better results?

mafra

Legend
That?s a great question... who knows, right. I just want Mills gone bc he is a back stabbing snake. We could replace him with a snow globe and probably not miss a beat.

Sometimes you have to find a guy, sometimes a guy falls in your lap with a good track record.

You give me Sam Hinkie and Tom Thibodeau and I?ll think we knocked it out of the park.

tiger0330

Legend
That?s a great question... who knows, right. I just want Mills gone bc he is a back stabbing snake. We could replace him with a snow globe and probably not miss a beat.
Guys are out there. Look at the Sun's, James Jones has done a great job there in his first GM job. Hiring Monte Williams after a suspect firing of their rookie coach Kosovo, may have been unfair to Kosovo but Williams might be in the running for most improved record for a first year coach.

Picked up Rubio also when the Jazz gave him up and most NBA teams wouldn't have considered him, 51M 3yrs seems a bargain for what he's doing for them, Ricky would have had twice the impact than any of our PG'S plus Portis and Ellington combined.

Booker having an unreal year so far, only guy shooting 50% overall and from 3 and 90% from the FT line. I wonder if you can blame the Knicks coaches for the poor FT shooting. I look at DSJ and all the work he did with Smart and his shooting is worse than when we got him.

Your above comment has some good ideas in management, but that will only happen under a new Knicks owner ....
The Dolan's Knicks are not gonna change any spots .. and the low-level coaches and low level Players will always ask for a fortune to be a part of the Dolan Knicks .. It does not matter if Masai Ujiri were Knicks president, and coach Pop took the Knicks GM/coaching job. SMH
Agree about the new Knicks owner...
If Masai Ujiri is hired then it will take draft picks. So I'm against that move. I feel Dolan is mad right now and maybe he will get rid of Mills and Perry. Tell me this...What do you see as the best case scenario(omitting owner) President, GM and coaching staff. Let us not forget that if Mills and Perry go then make sure with includes C. Robinson.

mafra

Legend
I think Knicks need to suck it up.... Dolan should make Mills the fall guy. Get him away from the Knicks in any shape....

They should then look to bring in Chris Paul and just admit no free agent is coming here. Give up the dream.

2 more years of CP3 to change culture and groom kids.... I?ll take it.