The Fire Fizdale Watch Thread

Kiyaman

Legend
Nothing about Mills indicates to me that he's an architect for an NBA quality roster. He's been around the game long enough to know not to bring on long contracts for mediocre players (though THJ was questionable at best), but frankly anyone that's followed the team for a few years can do that.

All that said, be it Mills, Perry or Fiz, who do you replace these guys with? That's what I want to know, Knicks Fans. It's real easy to chant fire this guy or fire that one, but who do you replace them with that we can actually get and that will likely produce better results?

The ESPN rating on the Dolan's Knicks each season for the past 20 yrs has been given us Knick fans more information bout the Dolan's Knicks than we think. Especially after each off-season when no star FA shows up for a Knick interview, or no NBA top head-coach call the Knicks when they are unemployed for a season or two. And Dolan's Knick management gets change every 3 years.
The problem isn't who will replace management or coach, the big problem are NO ONE wants to work for the Dolan's Knicks without plenty incentive & PERKS !!!

After a 17 win season, plus having $70M to spend on top FA in the off-season, and receiving the 3rd pick of the draft .. the Knicks front office first priority in the off-season were to build on the Knicks coaching-staff by hiring a couple of the unemployed NBA head-coaches to add to the Knicks 17 win season coaching-staff !!!

tiger0330

Legend
I think Knicks need to suck it up.... Dolan should make Mills the fall guy. Get him away from the Knicks in any shape....

They should then look to bring in Chris Paul and just admit no free agent is coming here. Give up the dream.

2 more years of CP3 to change culture and groom kids.... I?ll take it.
CP3 lol weren't we both saying a guy that wasn't taking the wide open 3 in the playoffs wasn't worth the dough the Rox were paying him. And I think you even questioned whether he deserved to be in the HOF.

We ought to be talking about who our next GM should be, Rich Cho, Hinkie, Colangelo, SVG, I even think Morey might be available if he bombs with the Harden/Westbrook pair. Their owner Tillman may have had enough of Morey stripping the club of future assets to get both CP3 and now Russ.

tiger0330

Legend
The ESPN rating on the Dolan's Knicks each season for the past 20 yrs has been given us Knick fans more information bout the Dolan's Knicks than we think. Especially after each off-season when no star FA shows up for a Knick interview, or no NBA top head-coach call the Knicks when they are unemployed for a season or two. And Dolan's Knick management gets change every 3 years.
The problem isn't who will replace management or coach, the big problem are NO ONE wants to work for the Dolan's Knicks without plenty incentive & PERKS !!!

After a 17 win season, plus having $70M to spend on top FA in the off-season, and receiving the 3rd pick of the draft .. the Knicks front office first priority in the off-season were to build on the Knicks coaching-staff by hiring a couple of the unemployed NBA head-coaches to add to the Knicks 17 win season coaching-staff !!!
I have to think Dolan isn't an idiot, he has to think what I said that with 70M in cap space and the deepest FA pool in years that it would take an utter incompetent not to be able to field a competitive team this season. Fizdale might be Mills fall guy but I guarantee Mills and Perry won't survive a 20 game winning season.

mafra

Legend
CP3 lol weren't we both saying a guy that wasn't taking the wide open 3 in the playoffs wasn't worth the dough the Rox were paying him. And I think you even questioned whether he deserved to be in the HOF.

We ought to be talking about who our next GM should be, Rich Cho, Hinkie, Colangelo, SVG, I even think Morey might be available if he bombs with the Harden/Westbrook pair. Their owner Tillman may have had enough of Morey stripping the club of future assets to get both CP3 and now Russ.

I wouldn?t touch CP if we were close to competing.... but we are years away, so who cares about the cap space. Have them take Randle and give us a pick.... that?s the Paul deal I make.

He can handle NY, run the point and help the kids develop (for they would be playing with a floor leader).

He may not be a HOF talent but he has something to offer us.... he?s still putting up numbers and an improvement over what we presently have. He has knowledge and is a fierce competitor.

Since we aren?t going anywhere and can?t get stars here.... if we can shed Randle, get a pick, this sounds like a win-win.

We need a viable PG. No coincidence our last good year was when Kidd was here.

mafra

Legend
We need a PG and an identity. I prefer to find one now, to start competing now, as opposed to being crappy for 2 more seasons hoping we get KAT or Giannis.

We are like an NFL team trying to win without a QB. It can?t happen.

mafra

Legend
Ian Begley, SNY.tv | Twitter |

Knicks owner James Dolan spoke with team president Steve Mills and others in management on Monday, the day after Mills and GM Scott Perry held an impromptu press conference to express their frustration with the Knicks.

Dolan speaks with Mills and other top decision-makers regularly, just as most NBA owners do, but this conversation seemed to carry a little more weight. Sources familiar with the conversation told SNY that management came away with the impression that their jobs would be secure as long as the Knicks 'showed progress' this season.

How Dolan and other organizational decision-makers define 'progress' is unclear. This conversation took place before the Knicks' 18-point loss in Chicago on Tuesday. That game certainly wouldn't fit the loosest definition of progress.

mafra

Legend
White finished the night with 27 points, helping the Bulls cruise to a 120-102 win over a Knicks team that is now just 2-0 on the season.

"In the NBA when you give any player confidence like that, then it seems like the rim just gets bigger for them, and that was all she wrote," said Taj Gibson. "But we kept trying to battle back, but our defensive coverage was kind of let down."

And while the North Carolina product dazzled for the Bulls, Barrett, his former rival at Duke, was the best player on the floor for the Knicks.

The third overall pick finished with 21 points on 8-of-16 shooting, while knocking down two threes, piling up nine assists, and grabbing six rebounds.

"I'm just telling you we've got a special kid," said Fizdale. "I know with all of our suffering that we're going through, one of the true bright lights of this team is RJ Barrett. This kid is just going to keep getting better and better, and he's so easy to coach and he really wants to be a great player in this league, and wants to be not just a great player, but a leader. I'm really enjoying him."

"I felt like I kind of lost my aggressiveness a little bit the past couple games, so I just came into today fighting," Barrett said on his own play.

mafra

Legend
If Fizdale was placed on a 10-game leash following Sunday?s disgraceful loss to the Cavaliers at the Garden, he certainly wasn?t coaching that way, overplaying rusty point guard Dennis Smith Jr. in his return from a three-week absence.

The Knicks were tied with the Bulls at 85 after the third quarter, when ex-Chicago forward Bobby Portis drilled a corner 3 at the buzzer.

But Fizdale kept Smith in the game and there wasn?t much sense to it. The Bulls ran off to a 102-89 lead in the first four minutes of the fourth when they put together a 22-0 run. Smith finally departed after a rough outing ? 14 minutes, zero points, 0 for 3 from the field, three turnovers and a minus-22

mafra

Legend
In the last 14 months: The Patriots have played 28 games The Knicks have played 92 games The Patriots have won 22 games The Knicks have won 19 games

mafra

Legend
Good post on Mills double-talk, back stabbing, survivalist, hypocritical ways:

Agreed. Mills needs to go if he's ready to abandon his rebuild path this quickly.

Look at what Mills was saying in May 2018 and Sept 2018

May 2018:

I think we?ve seen how things can go wrong," he said in May 2018, when the team hired Fizdale. "And I?ve seen a lot of mistakes that have taken place and just, mistakes and maybe not the right patience in terms of trying to build things the right way. This whole notion that in New York, you have to win yesterday. And we?re about winning, but we?re about creating something where we can win for a sustained period of time. And I think you?ve seen a lot of shortcuts and swinging for the fences, trying to hit home runs all the time. And [owner] Jim Dolan has given us the room to try to do it differently."
Sept 2018

"I?ve been around, I?ve seen a lot here at the Garden, and what I try to do is learn from what I?ve seen and what I?ve experienced," he told Newsday in September 2018. "I know those short-term quick fixes, you?re planning one way and then all of a sudden you?re making a shift. It?s one thing if you?re right on the cusp of competing for a championship, but when you?re where we are to all of a sudden pivot and go in a different direction, I?ve just seen it go wrong too many times. I?m not going to be part of doing it that way."
From Vork?s excellent article today on this whole situation (spoiler, he says this mess is on the front office, not Fizdale): https://theathletic.com/1370282/201...or-the-latest-chaos-at-madison-square-garden/

Mills and Perry made the call to trade KP. They chose this path. They hired Fizdale. They signed these free agents and said on media day this year, six weeks ago, that it was one possible FA plan they showed Dolan, he liked it, and they were ready to proceed with it. If he?s bailing on it after 11 games, or 20 games? he?s either a Dolan stooge trying to save his own skin, or he makes terrible plans and thinks they?re good.

mafra

Legend
ESPN

With the defeat, the Knicks tied a franchise record for most losses through 11 games.

The Knicks have started a season 2-9 on seven occasions, with four of those instances coming in the past 20 seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

Players aren't willing to give up just yet -- on their coach or the team -- until something becomes official. The Knicks are set to host the Dallas Mavericks on Thursday.

"Go out there and play hard for him. Go out there and try to pull out wins," said Taj Gibson, who finished with 17 points and five boards on Tuesday. "You get wins, the noise stops, and that's the main focus right now is to try and get wins.

"He's trying to pull us toward a victory in different ways and at the same time we've been coming up short," he added. "We've just got to do a lot better and it's not just on him, it's on us, too. He's been trying to will us to wins and it's been going the opposite way as of late."

knicksin60

Starter
Anybody else feel like slapping Steve Mills? stupid grin off his face? I cannot find anyone more incompetent at their job than this loser. Seems like everything he touches turns into shyt. He has been nothing more than a bad omen for the Knicks.I am sure that if he ever got elected for U.S. president he?d turn America into another Haiti with his stupid decision making. The fact that he continues to keep his job proves that he must have naked pics of Dolan somewhere laying around in his house.

Broadway

All Star
I saw the Suns brought up(not sure by who) as as model of changing course from bad ways and if not touched on, I'd like to point out their example teaches us a cold lesson

The Suns look like a very impressive team thus far who has a legitimate chance to make the playoffs. James Jones has made quick work in his early stint at the exec ranks...bringing Monty Williams in, is such a SIGNIFICANT move beyond explanation. Go Google what this man has been through and a part of the past 5-10yrs and you'll be blown away. The Suns have also started off well even with the blow of Ayton getting busted for violating the NBA drug policy. No excuses though, they're hella competitive and had a chance last night to beat the Lakers and improve to 7-3 on the season

With that being said acknowledging all the great things we see on the horizon for the Suns and what they've accomplished thus far, we can't ignore the fact Robert Sarver is their owner. A likely Top 10 worst owner in sports and for sure Top 3 in the NBA but does the narrative change? Or is this a simple case of 1 or 2 individuals having a greater positive impact to overcome the negative? Does Sarver get credit for bringing these high quality individuals into his organization or are they succeeding in spite of him? Did Sarver all of a sudden in one summer figure out how to become a good owner?

See we know Dolan is terrible but I don't think he's so terrible we can't somehow figure a way to be successful as he remains the owner. What we need are people who are competent in what they do and have the ability to truly change the culture in a way beyond what we expect from a GM on down. Unfortunately for us we haven't cracked this code.

Take for instance if by miracle we were to snag Masai from the Raptors and we end up winning a chip 5yrs into his tenure is Dolan a good owner then?

mafra

Legend
Ranger fans don?t see Dolan as an impediment.... He spends the money and whatnot. The Dolan issue is the insane paranoia surrounding the media policy and stuff. It just fosters an environment of mistrust....

The issue is the executives we?ve had.... An aged Walsh, a lazy Phil, a clueless Mills.... this is what has destroyed this team.

Let?s also not discount the impact Rubio has had on that team. No coincidence our only good year last 2 decades (2012) came when we had a competent floor general in J-Kidd....

Dublin-Felton-Frank and all the rest have been awful.

mafra

Legend
What irks me about Fiz is where is the Frank, Dotson, RJ, Knox, MRob lineup? Let those 5 play serious minutes together.

KP, Frank, Dotson, Knox and Robinson are all drafted by that Lazy Phil. Think he was trying to destroy a team. What Knicks fan would like to have that team on the floor? Well the problem is that no consistency in getting those last 4 on the floor no matter what happen. That will built on the other 'C' word Chemistry.

Why is it that we fail in F.A. but we did so well in the draft? Well, WE DIDN'T!! If you play RJ all those outlandish minutes he playing. He should put up numbers. Now does he move the needle? NO!! Does he make other around him better? No!!(couldn't even make a lead bound pass to Frank on a break the other night). I have spoke of odd pieces(players) on this team. RJ is a odd piece. Has RJ had a game like the kids Walker and White? Making a string of 3's and exciting the crowd? NO!! He is not a super star and isn't going to be one. He is an average player at best. Let trade RJ while the hype is high to Magic for Issac.

CP is 34 years old and some seriously consider that move. D. Rose is 31 and would be better for Frank. I don't understand the reasoning behind CP move. Getting a vet PG is IMO to late. Just put the above mention players and Morris on the floor and inject Trier, Ellington and Bobby into the mix. That an 8 man rotation and with a trade of RJ, DSJ and Randle that could bring us Issac, Porter Jr. and Jaxon Hayes & Walker.

mafra

Legend
S. Bondy:

If the New York Knicks part ways with Steve Mills and Scott Perry, they have already been linked to Masai Ujiri, but they could also pursue Sam Presti to run their front office.

James Dolan has long had interest in Ujiri. Frank Isola of The Athletic reported this week that the Knicks again have interest in Ujiri.

Presti has been general manager of the Oklahoma City Thunder since 2007. Presti is entering into a transitional phase with the Thunder after trading away both Paul George and Russell Westbrook this past offseason.

S. Bondy:

If the New York Knicks part ways with Steve Mills and Scott Perry, they have already been linked to Masai Ujiri, but they could also pursue Sam Presti to run their front office.

James Dolan has long had interest in Ujiri. Frank Isola of The Athletic reported this week that the Knicks again have interest in Ujiri.

Presti has been general manager of the Oklahoma City Thunder since 2007. Presti is entering into a transitional phase with the Thunder after trading away both Paul George and Russell Westbrook this past offseason.

I was a big Sam Presti guy a couple years ago. Now, I?m not so sure. Lots of things went wrong in OKC.

mafra

Legend
ClutchPoints
@ClutchPointsApp
ESPN?s Adrian Wojnarowski on the Knicks - ?He is not safe. His job is very much in peril right now. This is a Knicks team that is in somewhat of a spiral... The dismissal of David Fizdale is inevitable. There was a bond broken between management and their head coach.?