The Fire Fizdale Watch Thread

Before being fired. Fiz said there was going to be a major lineup change. I wouder what that could have been???

Out of the starting lineup is RJ and Randle. In to the starting lineup Trier and Knox. It would have been Dotson but the injury to his finger. Just me guessing.

Broadway

All Star
Before being fired. Fiz said there was going to be a major lineup change. I wouder what that could have been???

Out of the starting lineup is RJ and Randle. In to the starting lineup Trier and Knox. It would have been Dotson but the injury to his finger. Just me guessing.

Look at Mills...sheesh this organization is wild

tiger0330

Legend
Look at Mills...sheesh this organization is wild

Bizarre scene imo. Most places they fire you and they get security to walk you out the door, guess when they give you a 2 plus yr vacation and 15M bucks they don't expect you're going to come in with an AR15 and shoot up the place.

knicksin60

Starter
The Knicks front office

knicks.jpg

jimkcchief88

All Star
Poor Fiz goes down as another on a long line of bad coaching hires setup to fail by Knicks brass. Mills and Perry should be next. First Mills/Perry tried to sell us on the fact they could attract top tier free agents. Epic-Fail. Then they tried to sell us on a team with no good guards and a cupboard full of backup power forwards could win in this league. Back to back 30 point losses answered that question. Please go get us a point guard(why did we get rid of Mudiay again)? and a coach who young guys will play hard for. Mark Jackson is my pick. Please select the best pg coming out this year as we are definitely back in the lottery. Start moving whatever and who ever you from team backup power forwards and try to get any draft capital you can and start over. Please don?t try that laughable experiment again. RJ Barrett is being ruined with this nonsense and will want out as soon as he can like KP. Take that for data.

mafra

Legend

Bleacher Report NBA

@BR_NBA
Full list of every Knicks head coach in last 18 years:

Jeff Van Gundy
Mike D'Antoni
David Fizdale
Jeff Hornacek
Derek Fisher
Kurt Rambis
Mike Woodson
Isiah Thomas
Larry Brown
Herb Williams
Lenny Wilkins
Don Chaney

???????

Amid a 4-18 start, New York relieved Fizdale of his duties on Friday, and Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle believes it was in Fizdale's best interest.

"I'm happy for Fizdale to be out of that terrible mess that he had nothing to do with," Carlisle said Saturday, per Brad Townsend of the Dallas Morning News.

???????-

Steve Kerr on David Fizdale?s firing and the occasional what if, on days like today, as in: What if he took the Knicks job instead of the Warriors one? ?That would?ve been me three years ago.?

??????-

What do you think, Pops?

"I don't know where the decision was made to fire Coach Fizdale, but if it came from the top, it's a case of mistaken identity," said the five-time NBA Champion head coach. "He's a fine, talented young coach with a great pedigree, and it's ridiculous to think you're going to bring a young guy in and after being there a minute and a half, you expect him to fix everything that's been wrong there for a long time. That's pretty unfair.

"So, it's the old analogy: he got thrown under the bus," Popovich concluded. "He'll come out of it because he's a great coach. I'm glad you asked."

??????

Everybody in the league knows this is a front office issue. Fire Mills and Perry please... don?t let them make Dec trades, draft picks... no way.

NY should?ve used cap space to absorb bad deals, while accumulating draft capital. They grabbed these free agents then fired HC (whom they hired) bc their roster is seriously flawed.

Who builds a roster full of guys that can?t shoot nor defend the three, in this 3-point era?

Last edited:
Everybody in the league knows this is a front office issue. Fire Mills and Perry please... don’t let them make Dec trades, draft picks... no way.

NY should’ve used cap space to absorb bad deals, while accumulating draft capital. They grabbed these free agents then fired HC (whom they hired) bc their roster is seriously flawed.

Who builds a roster full of guys that can’t shoot nor defend the three, in this 3-point era?[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%. You hit the nail on the head with those comments. Especially the first sentence!!

Not being critical but didn't you forget about this past year(2019) Draft Picks?? Can't imagine how they could get this right among the many mistakes. The optics would say they made a sound, best pick of a weak draft. But was it the right move for this team? THAT IS THE QUESTION:

knicksin60

Starter
Bleacher Report NBA

@BR_NBA
Full list of every Knicks head coach in last 18 years:

Jeff Van Gundy
Mike D'Antoni
David Fizdale
Jeff Hornacek
Derek Fisher
Kurt Rambis
Mike Woodson
Isiah Thomas
Larry Brown
Herb Williams
Lenny Wilkins
Don Chaney

———————

Amid a 4-18 start, New York relieved Fizdale of his duties on Friday, and Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle believes it was in Fizdale's best interest.

"I'm happy for Fizdale to be out of that terrible mess that he had nothing to do with," Carlisle said Saturday, per Brad Townsend of the Dallas Morning News.

———————-

Steve Kerr on David Fizdale’s firing and the occasional what if, on days like today, as in: What if he took the Knicks job instead of the Warriors one? “That would’ve been me three years ago.”

——————-

What do you think, Pops?

"I don't know where the decision was made to fire Coach Fizdale, but if it came from the top, it's a case of mistaken identity," said the five-time NBA Champion head coach. "He's a fine, talented young coach with a great pedigree, and it's ridiculous to think you're going to bring a young guy in and after being there a minute and a half, you expect him to fix everything that's been wrong there for a long time. That's pretty unfair.

"So, it's the old analogy: he got thrown under the bus," Popovich concluded. "He'll come out of it because he's a great coach. I'm glad you asked."

——————

Everybody in the league knows this is a front office issue. Fire Mills and Perry please... don’t let them make Dec trades, draft picks... no way.

NY should’ve used cap space to absorb bad deals, while accumulating draft capital. They grabbed these free agents then fired HC (whom they hired) bc their roster is seriously flawed.

Who builds a roster full of guys that can’t shoot nor defend the three, in this 3-point era?

I believe wholeheartedly that the Knicks have the worst front office in the NBA and changes need to happen from the top but can Popovich, Carlisle and Kerr please stfu? They've never had to deal with a shyt owner or have to deal with turning a losing franchise around as they rode the coattails of the NBA's top players for the majority of their NBA careers as coaches.

Of course that would have been you in three years, Steve Kerr, just like the GS Warriors would fire your azz if they continued having the worst record in the West for another season under you. The only reason why you have a job today is because you decided to run to a team that already had a championship roster set in place. And weren't you the same man who was responsible for Mike D'antoni leaving the Phoenix Suns organization even though you set him up to fail by making that stupid Shaq trade?

This victim depiction of Fizdale is beyond pathetic. He was given the responsibility of developing young players and what did he do? He went ahead and did just the exact opposite. His lineup decisions were beyond ridiculous. When Derek Fisher and Jeff Hornaceck were fired by the Knicks I didn't see anyone around the league lamenting over it. Nobody gave 3 craps about Dolan's decision to fire them because people knew that they sucked as coaches.

I just think it is pretty hypocritical of these people around the league who criticize Dolan for not firing his right hand man Steve Mills yet are disappointed that Dolan fired their friend despite the fact that he was just as incompetent as Mills.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Via Bleacher Report:
Sources also say Ujiri would be intrigued by the challenge of fixing the Knicks, the chance to build something from scratch and, not insignificantly, by the opportunity to elevate his Giants of Africa philanthropy by working in the New York market.
Influential voices in the NBA have strongly advised Ujiri not to take the job, if it's ever offered, sources say. But those same sources say Ujiri might do it anyway, if the money is right, if he's granted the necessary autonomy and if Dolan funds Giants of Africa as generously as the Raptors ownership group has.

knicksin60

Starter
James Dolan could never have another alpha dog working with him. It would turn into another Dave Checketts vs Pat Riley situation.

Broadway

All Star
My main criticism of Fizdale out the gate was his rotations and not being sure of who to play with who. There were times we never saw lineups we thought we'd see and some we thought we'd never would. Apparently right before he was let go he was planning another lineup change...

DailyNews from Stefan Bondy

The Knicks allowed Fizdale to conduct Friday’s practice right before firing him. Fizdale even teased a lineup change for Saturday’s game against the Pacers. According to a source, Fizdale planned on going small with Dennis Smith Jr. at point guard, Frank Ntilikina at shooting guard and Julius Randle at center. Taj Gibson would’ve gone to the bench.

Instead, interim coach Mike Miller stuck with the same lineup from the previous games — Ntilikina, RJ Barrett, Marcus Morris, Randle Gibson — and the Knicks lost a nail-biter to the Pacers.

I honestly believe he hung himself with his own rope, never knowing who to play with who. STANK is an OFF BALL PLAYER on offense he should not be directing the offense EVER! I'd probably go with his lineup change or RJ being the point man. Randle should play PF and get his offense starting in the post unless PNR is there. M-Rob should play center until he learns how to stop fouling. Oh well, I'm not sad Fiz was fired he'll be fine and hopefully he's learned a lot from his last two stops which weren't good at all. Assistant coach is likely his lane

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
My main criticism of Fizdale out the gate was his rotations and not being sure of who to play with who. There were times we never saw lineups we thought we'd see and some we thought we'd never would. Apparently right before he was let go he was planning another lineup change...

The Knicks allowed Fizdale to conduct Friday’s practice right before firing him. Fizdale even teased a lineup change for Saturday’s game against the Pacers. According to a source, Fizdale planned on going small with Dennis Smith Jr. at point guard, Frank Ntilikina at shooting guard and Julius Randle at center. Taj Gibson would’ve gone to the bench.

Instead, interim coach Mike Miller stuck with the same lineup from the previous games — Ntilikina, RJ Barrett, Marcus Morris, Randle Gibson — and the Knicks lost a nail-biter to the Pacers.

I honestly believe he hung himself with his own rope, never knowing who to play with who. STANK is an OFF BALL PLAYER on offense he should not be directing the offense EVER! I'd probably got with his lineup change or RJ being the point man. Randle should play PF and get his offense starting in the post unless PNR is there. M-Rob should play center until he learns how to stop fouling. Oh well, I'm not sad Fiz was fired he'll be fine and hopefully he's learned a lot from his last two stops which weren't good at all. Assistant coach is likely his lane

It's a shame how every time DSJ get on the court this season his performance look like the G.League is calling for him !!!
Fizdale started the 2019-20 season off having DSJ, Trier, and RJ as his top 3 guards in the rotation to please Mills & Perry.
When Fizdale should've been working-out with all 3 Individual-Performing players together on the court throughout the off-season to get all 3 ISO-players on the same-page of ball movement.

tiger0330

Legend

I honestly believe he hung himself with his own rope, never knowing who to play with who. STANK is an OFF BALL PLAYER on offense he should not be directing the offense EVER! I'd probably go with his lineup change or RJ being the point man. Randle should play PF and get his offense starting in the post unless PNR is there. M-Rob should play center until he learns how to stop fouling. Oh well, I'm not sad Fiz was fired he'll be fine and hopefully he's learned a lot from his last two stops which weren't good at all. Assistant coach is likely his lane
How he thought that lineup was going to win anything, that’s horrendous, when you start one guy in DSJ that can’t make a shot not even a FT and the other guy Nits that makes a shot one out of every 3 games.

Worst record in franchise history of the 30 head coaches the Knicks have had, he deserved to get fired. Now Dolan has to wake up and see that the bums that report to him need to get the same medicine they gave Fizdale, that whole front office needs a reorganization.

mafra

Legend
SAS:

Let me tell you what?s circulating in the NBA,? Stephen A Smith said. ?Although the Knicks deny this, but I gotta tell both of you. Jason Kidd is potentially a preferred candidate, because Jason Kidd ? who coached one year in Brooklyn before leaving for Milwaukee ? he?s known for developing guys. Their belief is that Giannis, when he was fired in Milwaukee, Giannis was ticked off and wanted to leave. So by getting him to New York it potentially gives them a better shot at Giannis.?

Broadway

All Star
How he thought that lineup was going to win anything, that’s horrendous, when you start one guy in DSJ that can’t make a shot not even a FT and the other guy Nits that makes a shot one out of every 3 games.

Worst record in franchise history of the 30 head coaches the Knicks have had, he deserved to get fired. Now Dolan has to wake up and see that the bums that report to him need to get the same medicine they gave Fizdale, that whole front office needs a reorganization.

Crazy Story Of Timeline ~ How we arrived to this point...what a mess

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28261417/lost-stars-lack-leadership-fleeting-hope-knicks

For the record never wanted Fizdale and always felt #kporzee situation was never going to end well. I've also said a good way to judge our situation is how the league sees our players. Trades are a good indicator. The Pels deal(which we had no shot) was a death blow with #kporzee, although I felt the Phil situation was likely a point of no return too

This is another reason why at this point I want our younger players to play regardless of how bad they are cuhz we have to build up value. None of our young talent has league-wide good value and some we'll be stuck with another yr or two, who'll make a career of losing

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I think there are plenty coaches who could fill voids as to not look at retreads who never faired well. Horny would be at the bottom of my list before at least considering any of the below

Jackson
Thibs
SVG
JVG
Mchale
Johnson
Clifford
Cassell
Hollins
Triano
Mitchell
VDN
Blatt
Ollie
Mullin
Insert College Coach looking to make jump

He made my long list. I like this hire and I always felt he was done dirty by Cleveland

mafra

Legend
Knicks are 3-1 under Miller last 4 games... they were 4-18 under Fiz...

FYI... Eddie Murphy will be on SNL this weekend!

"He just wants us to hoop," Dennis Smith Jr. said. "He definitely wants us to have game-plan discipline as well but he wants us to have fun and leave it all out on the floor. I love it."

Of course, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves after just six games -- and a back-to-back against Miami and Milwaukee coming up this weekend. Also, the Knicks' last three wins have come against teams with a combined record of 23-60.

But some statistics suggest that the Knicks' success under Miller has staying power:

They are 12th in offensive rating under Miller; they were 30th before Miller took over.

Part of the offensive uptick can be attributed to taking care of the ball. New York is third in turnover percentage in Miller's six games after being 20th before Miller took over.

Part of it can also be attributed to strong ball movement; the Knicks are eighth in assist/turnover ratio under Miller and were 29th under Fizdale.

As Spencer Pearlman points out, the Knicks offense has featured more attempts in the paint, more corner threes and fewer mid-range shots under Miller. The way Julius Randle has been used seems to have changed (he isn't bringing the ball up the court as much). So there are tangible ways that the Knicks have changed under Miller.