The Fire Fizdale Watch Thread

mafra

Legend
Cavs came into MSG, to play the most believed 2-7 team in NYC history, having won 11 consecutive games in NY.... and we respond with this effort?

mafra

Legend
Fizdale has a 19-73 record as Knicks coach and blamed himself for the 2-8 start this season. He?s in familiar territory after being fired just 19 games into his second season as the Grizzlies coach.

"I take the brunt of that responsibility because I?m the head coach,? Fizdale said. ?I make these decisions, what?s happening on the court, what players play, who plays together, what plays we call, the defensive system ? that?s on me. So as much as I appreciate that, I own it. That?s just who I am.?

After preaching perspective and patience from the start of last season until Sunday, Fizdale flipped the message.

?I think you have urgency with all rosters. You go out to win every single game. Maybe you don't have the experience or whatever it takes to do it, but again, those are built-in excuses and I'm not banking on those,? Fizdale added. ?I can sit here and say, 'Oh, we have 10 new guys and my point guards is out and blah blah blah blah blah.' No. I'm not giving myself that out, I'm not giving my team that out. We're going to keep working at it until we get over the hump. You don't go into Dallas and beat arguably one of the best teams in the NBA, the highest-scoring team in the NBA, the No. 1 offense, and then come back and lay an egg. That's unacceptable and we just gotta fix that."

The heat is on.

? Bondy

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Countdown started for Fizdale, if a mircale doesn't happen during the next 10 games we might see the last of him..

For awhile. Perry said, “We’ve been below the line to this point but hopefully this next stretch of 10 games we’ll be above that line and be more consistent.’’
That sounds like a 10-game ultimatum.

“We’ve got to keep pounding the rock, if you will, until it finally takes over,’’ Perry said.

Or Fizdale could be pounding the pavement.

“I live in that sense of urgency,’’ Fizdale said. “I don’t need anyone to speak to give me a sense of urgency. I’m not cruising through this thing like I got a bunch of time to get a team together. I appreciate them speaking on my behalf and speaking about our team but I live in that.

“The work is being put in but it is not transferring right now. I’ll figure that out.’’

https://nypost.com/2019/11/11/knicks-overdue-apology-tour-is-bad-news-for-david-fizdale/

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Does Fiz run pick n rolls at all? I didn't see any screens. The point-forward plan isn't working. Randle should not be bringing up the ball. While I'm not a fan of going through new coaches every few years, the product on the floor is a real problem. A couple of months ago Knicks brought on Mike Miller (their former G-League coach) to the bench. Looks like this could be Fiz's replacement if he doesn't get things going in the next 5 games.

tiger0330

Legend
I mentioned I saw Rebecca Harlowe interview Mike Miller at a half time break during one of the games and he struck me as too mild mannered to be a head coach at this level, Fizdale has way more presence than him. He also sits in the second row denoting his second tier status among the assistants. He's a journeyman coach never having played or coached at the NBA level so despite having success in the GLeague I don't think he's going to get consideration for the job. Smart would be my choice for interim coach with the Knicks deciding in the off season on another head coach.

Just read a report online that Dolan is going after Masai Ujiri. This would be a brilliant hire, but how many draft picks would it require to get him from Toronto?

Broadway

All Star
I think if you’re Scott Perry, you’re already on the phone with Mark Jackson.

This is who I wanted all along and then Monty when Horns got fired. There are few out there where a strong staff could be assembled in Thibs-SVG-Shaw-Mchale-VDN-Mitchell-Hollins-Triano. We could even look into SS LL

Broadway

All Star
Just read a report online that Dolan is going after Masai Ujiri. This would be a brilliant hire, but how many draft picks would it require to get him from Toronto?

We should leave that alone it's gonna be too costly and risky. That's why the Wizards couldn't make any hay there

tiger0330

Legend

We should leave that alone it's gonna be too costly and risky. That's why the Wizards couldn't make any hay there
You have to at least look into the possibility of getting him. I'd put out feelers to see if he's interested, we can't give him an ownership interest since the Knicks are part of a public corporation but there are rumors that they'll be spun off of the parent company so maybe there is that incentive in the near future. We have the Mavs picks, I'd gladly trade those.

TLue would be a guy I would look at for the next head coach as well.

mafra

Legend
Mills is selling owner James Dolan on a roster constructed to be highly competitive in the Eastern Conference, leaving Fizdale vulnerable to an ouster only weeks into the second season of a four-year contract that league sources say is worth $22 million.

Days before exiled star Kristaps Porzingis returns to Madison Square Garden with the Dallas Mavericks, Mills delivered the first public salvo on shaping an organizational narrative that the Knicks' struggles aren't born of an overmatched roster, but the lack of a "consistent level of effort and execution."

Rival coaches and executives see a mismatched Knicks roster slow of foot, without legitimate NBA guard play, but Mills is selling Dolan on a poorly coached team that is underachieving at 2-8 to start the season, league sources said. Around Madison Square Garden and the league, the timing and tone of the news conference was met with considerable surprise and dismay -- and it was considered to be a complete undermining of Fizdale.

"Everyone is moving to their positions now," a league source close to management and the coaching staff told ESPN. "This is how they'll make (Fizdale) the fall guy."

Mills has presided over the arrivals and departures of five Knicks coaches. His overall record as team president is 165-337, including 48-126 since taking the job over from Phil Jackson in 2017.

As an organization, the Knicks could have survived missing out on Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving in July free agency -- but the trading of Porzingis to the Mavericks for role players and two first-round picks looms far more devastating to the franchise's future. Porzingis asked for a trade in February after management was unable to correct a rift with him --- or convince him of a path toward competency in the Eastern Conference.

Fizdale chose the Knicks over several other offers in 2018 -- including Atlanta, Charlotte and Phoenix -- under the assumption that he'd eventually coach Porzingis. Fizdale accepted responsibility for the team's struggles in his own postgame news conference Sunday night.

????

Mills is so bad.... if it costs Knox and a couple picks to get Majri.... I?ll trade anything to get rid of Mills.

mafra

Legend
By bringing in Ujiri, Isola reports the Knicks would hope to put themselves in play for Giannis Antetokounmpo when his contract expires after the 2020-21 season. Ujiri has long-standing ties to the Antetokounmpo family, helping them emigrate from Nigeria to Greece.

Ujiri is under contract with the Raptors through 2021, and Toronto?s ownership group would presumably pull out all the stops to retain his services. For his part, Ujiri has not wavered from wanting to remain north of the border and compete for more championships.

?For me it's always been about Toronto,? Ujiri said at his season-ending press conference. ?I love it here. My family loves it here. My wife loves it here, which is important. My kids are Canadian. I want to win more... in my mind, I'm here."

tiger0330

Legend
By bringing in Ujiri, Isola reports the Knicks would hope to put themselves in play for Giannis Antetokounmpo when his contract expires after the 2020-21 season. Ujiri has long-standing ties to the Antetokounmpo family, helping them emigrate from Nigeria to Greece.

Ujiri is under contract with the Raptors through 2021, and Toronto?s ownership group would presumably pull out all the stop5 to retain his services. For his part, Ujiri has not wavered from wanting to remain north of the border and compete for more championships.

?For me it's always been about Toronto,? Ujiri said at his season-ending press conference. ?I love it here. My family loves it here. My wife loves it here, which is important. My kids are Canadian. I want to win more... in my mind, I'm here."

I worked in Toronto for 6 months coming home on weekends and the people and life style are dramatically different than in NY. I could see why he'd want to stay in Canada, he's had success up there, is making more money than he's ever dreamt of making, not sure if Dolan could make him any financial offer short of giving him a substantial ownership in the team that he would consider but Dolan has to give it a second shot. Remember it was reported that after they fired Phil that there was interest in Ujiri, that was before the Raps won their championship so maybe that affects his thinking about leaving the Raps.

Broadway

All Star
You have to at least look into the possibility of getting him. I'd put out feelers to see if he's interested, we can't give him an ownership interest since the Knicks are part of a public corporation but there are rumors that they'll be spun off of the parent company so maybe there is that incentive in the near future. We have the Mavs picks, I'd gladly trade those.

TLue would be a guy I would look at for the next head coach as well.

Agree although he wouldn't be my first choice, I'd ask him to come aboard as an assistant as a lie in wait coach

The Wizards wanted to start with a salary north of $10mil/yr and share in the franchise and whatever compensation the Raptors would ask for. He didn't even flinch

If he became available then it would become a bidding war across the league, suitors would line up everywhere even outside of basketball driving his price up beyond recognition. This is an absolute NO for me unless he contacts us and says "Give Me The Knicks Job"

The Greek Freak rumors ENOUGH guys! Can this franchise every cease to stop chasing stars prematurely...UHHHHHGGGGG! :x

This has been a turnoff for yrs

Broadway

All Star
Mills is selling owner James Dolan on a roster constructed to be highly competitive in the Eastern Conference, leaving Fizdale vulnerable to an ouster only weeks into the second season of a four-year contract that league sources say is worth $22 million.

Days before exiled star Kristaps Porzingis returns to Madison Square Garden with the Dallas Mavericks, Mills delivered the first public salvo on shaping an organizational narrative that the Knicks' struggles aren't born of an overmatched roster, but the lack of a "consistent level of effort and execution."

Rival coaches and executives see a mismatched Knicks roster slow of foot, without legitimate NBA guard play, but Mills is selling Dolan on a poorly coached team that is underachieving at 2-8 to start the season, league sources said. Around Madison Square Garden and the league, the timing and tone of the news conference was met with considerable surprise and dismay -- and it was considered to be a complete undermining of Fizdale.

"Everyone is moving to their positions now," a league source close to management and the coaching staff told ESPN. "This is how they'll make (Fizdale) the fall guy."

Mills has presided over the arrivals and departures of five Knicks coaches. His overall record as team president is 165-337, including 48-126 since taking the job over from Phil Jackson in 2017.

As an organization, the Knicks could have survived missing out on Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving in July free agency -- but the trading of Porzingis to the Mavericks for role players and two first-round picks looms far more devastating to the franchise's future. Porzingis asked for a trade in February after management was unable to correct a rift with him --- or convince him of a path toward competency in the Eastern Conference.

Fizdale chose the Knicks over several other offers in 2018 -- including Atlanta, Charlotte and Phoenix -- under the assumption that he'd eventually coach Porzingis. Fizdale accepted responsibility for the team's struggles in his own postgame news conference Sunday night.

————

Mills is so bad.... if it costs Knox and a couple picks to get Majri.... I’ll trade anything to get rid of Mills.

He's DONE, he won't make it and now the players know it. There's one month of basketball before they can be traded or rumors of who we may be interested in. What a way to essentially put a nail in the coffin on the season after only 10gms

mafra

Legend
Mills has presided over more than 500 games as either GM or team president.... the Knicks are 200 games below .500 under his watch. He needs to go.... pronto!

tiger0330

Legend
Mills has presided over more than 500 games as either GM or team president.... the Knicks are 200 games below .500 under his watch. He needs to go.... pronto!
Mills is bball version of a Teflon Don, managing to always hang on despite seeming incompetence. I think Dolan has seen enough, it started with the Hardaway signing, Ron Baker and now JRandle it seems is another in a long line of overpaid stiffs. Perry may deserve a little more rope but Mills has a long track record of mediocrity and that entire front office is in dire need of reorganization with a new president at the top replacing Mills.

mafra

Legend
Stephen A Smith defending Fiz today.... Mills and Perry throwing him under the bus. He likes Mills and Perry as people but he blasted their actions yesterday. Said he can?t do that unless you fired Fiz.

He was adamant we should?ve hired Mark Jax instead of Fiz, bc MJ is a NYer...

If Mills and Perry expected more from this roster then they should be fired bc this is worst roster in NBA, all new guys, and most not under contract beyond beyond 2020.... As if any free agent is coming to this mess.

If it weren?t for Mills.... KP doesn?t demand a trade. He wanted out bc he didn?t believe in the front office!

SAS said they should give Mills a drug test for issuing that statement.