home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

New York KnicksDetroit Pistons
Elfrid Payton - Strained right hamstring (OUT)Sekou Doumbouya - G League assignment (OUT)
Reggie Bullock - Cervical disc herniation (OUT)Blake Griffin - Left hamstring posterior knee soreness (OUT)
Kadeem Allen - Strained right foot (OUT)Reggie Jackson - Lumbar stress reaction (OUT)
Dennis Smith - Personal reasons (OUT)Tim Frazier - Right shoulder strain (OUT)
-Derrick Rose - Right hamstring strain (OUT)

Game Preview

Injuries have forced the Detroit Pistons to move players into different roles. They'll likely be faced with that same predicament when they host the New York Knicks on Wednesday.

Detroit has played its first eight games this season without All-Star forward Blake Griffin, who is awaiting medical clearance after rehabbing hamstring and knee injuries. Starting point guard Reggie Jackson will miss at least a month of action due to a stress reaction in his lower back. Jackson's backups, Derrick Rose (hamstring) and Tim Frazier (shoulder), have missed the past two games.

Second-year guard Bruce Brown, who had been the starting shooting guard, has been moved to point guard during their absences. Swingman Luke Kennard has taken more ball-handling responsibilities as well.

It worked out fine in a victory over Brooklyn on Saturday but the duo faltered in a 115-99 loss at Washington on Monday, combining for nine of the team's 21 turnovers.

"I think we are learning from this. It is definitely a learning experience for me, having the ball a lot more," Kennard said. "So we have to keep on going with it. Just keep on working at it, but we have to take that leadership. It is not easy. Kind of figuring that out right now."

What coach Dwane Casey saw was a lack of ball movement and patience.

"I thought we tried to go a little bit too much one-on-one instead of moving the ball, making the right pass, playing with each other," he said. "And that's the only way we're going to win without our main guys out, is moving the ball, playing together. I thought we did that against Brooklyn but you can't do a once-a-week type approach. You've got to have it each and every night, a consistent approach."

The Knicks haven't played since Sunday, when they were blown out at home by Sacramento 113-92. They trailed by 20 at halftime and couldn't mount a comeback in the second half.

New York was coming off a two-point loss at Boston.

"Can't really learn from it. We weren't five men as a unit," forward Julius Randle said. "We weren't trusting each other. It's a setback and it's discouraging."

Forward Marcus Morris scored 28 points but the other frontcourt starters, Randle and Bobby Portis, combined for 10 points on 5-for-19 shooting.

Since scoring 25 points in the opener, Randle has been in an offensive funk. He's averaged 11.5 points, shot 38.4 percent from the field and missed all 14 of his 3-point attempts.

Randle isn't used to defenses loaded up on him and he's trying to adjust.

"He hasn't seen (teams) running two and three people at him before," coach David Fizdale told the New York Post. "It's just a matter of him learning how to play against those defenses and understanding how to attack them."

The bright spot has been the play of lottery pick RJ Barrett, who has quickly emerged as the starting point guard. Barrett is averaging 18.3 points, 6.1 rebounds and 3.3 assists in 37.1 minutes per game.

Fizdale bristled when reporters questioned why Barrett played 41 minutes in the blowout loss to the Kings.

"We've got to get off this load-management (nonsense)," he said. "Latrell Sprewell averaged 42 minutes for a season. This kid is 19. Drop it already."

Detroit swept the four-game series last season, including the regular-season finale that clinched a playoff berth. The Pistons have the won the past seven meetings.

(Field Level Media / cbssports.com)

tiger0330

Legend
DET starting and backup PGs Reggie and DRose are out, Blake also out. This would be another embarrassment if we lose to them. Well at least the Morris brothers will be happy.

I’m going out on a limb and saying the boys win in Motown tonight.

The realist in me says we get our butt kicked tonight, even with Detroit short handed.

The optimist in me hopes for DSJ to channel himself and get on track tonight to lead this team to a win.

Just read online that this is Steve Mills? 500th game as Knicks GM or president.

We are 164 - 335 with Mills.

Given his longevity, is he the worst executive in sports history?

Kiyaman

Legend
Thank you for the Game-Thread Rady .... I'm jealous of Detroit Pistons at wasting no time in hiring the COY coach Casey, a month after Casey loss his Raptors Job. Our front-office seem to have no intention or no knowledge on how to make the Knicks a winning team.
Our coach Fizdale has been playing a 8-Man rotation since the 3rd Knick game of the regular season, having different players in the rotation each game. And the results are a 1-6 Knick record.
Detroit Piston coach Casey has been playing a 10-Man rotation in all 8 of their regular season games, having 3 of the Pistons starters sideline with injury resulting in a 3-5 record.

Kiyaman

Legend
Oh yeah everyone, Fizdale wasn't Fired after our 2nd BLOW-OUT in MSG, nor was he fired for mentioning one of owner Dolan's nemesis players Latrell Sprewell. Fizdale is coaching tonight game vs the injured Pistons

tiger0330

Legend
The realist in me says we get our butt kicked tonight, even with Detroit short handed.

The optimist in me hopes for DSJ to channel himself and get on track tonight to lead this team to a win.
Thought this was hot news and DSJ was back but I think he's still in NC.

Realistically speaking, most teams could beat us while sitting their entire starting lineup. We trail by 4 late in the 1st quarter.

Kiyaman

Legend
RJ are becoming a ball-Nut .. he should have threw the alley-opp pass to MitchRob loike Snell did for Drumming.

tiger0330

Legend
I guess it's not a coincidence that Nits has the best +/-, as soon as he sits DET takes their biggest lead. Fiz has seen enough and sends him back in RJ sits.

Have to give Taj Gibson credit. He sat for 3 games and comes off the bench ready to go tonight. No crying to the media from him like some other guy whose name sort of rhymes with Penis Manturd.

RJ with what Wally described as a ?grown man? move. Takes solid contact from Thon Maker and finishes at the rim and draws the foul.

Still struggling here though. This team, despite some solid individual performances, is going to get run off the floor most nights.