Game thread: New York Knicks vs Dallas Mavericks 8:00 11/14/2019 [Game #12]

Kiyaman

Legend
A nice GRITTY Knicks WIN .. 106 - 103
Let's get another win at MSG vs Honets then Cavs !!!
Well, it look like the Mavs LOSS saved Fizdale job.

Onto the Brklyn Nets vs Denver Nuggets Game .....

tiger0330

Legend
Can't lose them all but having some decent PG play with DSJ snapping his slump and Frank with his defense makes us a lot better. Very entertaining game.

Mavs are learning the hard way that KP is not a star in crunch time. Can?t think of one play he made in the 4th quarter other than the failed flop that let Randle get an easy layup and a failed post-up attempt.

Kiyaman

Legend
Team-Ball gets Game-Ball.

Tonight, the Knicks ran a 10-Man rotation .. the 2nd-unit lineup DSJ Dotson Morris Portis MitcRob .. had steady ball-movement on every offensive possession to keep stretching the Knicks lead, plus their defense was good enough to get 1 time violation turn-over from the Mavs. They played so well i kept hoping Fiz wouldve left the lineup on the court 3 or 4 minute longer than what he did.
Nice Knick Game .. I know everyone is shock and wondering how we Knicks beat the Mavs again ??? I'm wondering and guessing too ??? Fizdale did not change his crazy in-out substitution and 7 different lineup changes each quarter. Nor did the Knick performance look like Frank or DSJ were calling any coaches plays having Randle or Morris hanging out at the top key. However, tonite Randle & Morris did let Frank & DSJ bring the ball up court the majority of the game .. I guess the Knicks 10 man rotation pulled out tonight win on hustle & effort .. It was a nice crunch-time win for the Knicks tonight.

Good coaching job by Fiz tonight. Several things happen that said to me he was seeing potential problems. First of all as soon as Frank good into foul trouble and DSJ enter into the game. On the second defensive series(I think) they went to a zone defense. This was to save DSJ in the man to man and switching. Playing Dotson more in better situation. He suprise me when he pull RJ for Dotson in the closing minutes. But he then put RJ back in during the final minute. Fiz had RJ on Donoic on the last play and if Morris didn't deflect that ball away with 8/10 of a second left this could have been a horrible ending.

I do think he played DSJ to much in last night game. DSJ game wind and conditioning. Trier and Dotson could have give him a breather. Not that I like Trier at PG but he is trying not to be a goal-hawk.

Good coaching job by Fiz tonight. Several things happen that said to me he was seeing potential problems. First of all as soon as Frank good into foul trouble and DSJ enter into the game. On the second defensive series(I think) they went to a zone defense. This was to save DSJ in the man to man and switching. Playing Dotson more in better situation. He suprise me when he pull RJ for Dotson in the closing minutes. But he then put RJ back in during the final minute. Fiz had RJ on Donoic on the last play and if Morris didn't deflect that ball away with 8/10 of a second left this could have been a horrible ending.

I do think he played DSJ to much in last night game. DSJ game wind and conditioning. Trier and Dotson could have give him a breather. Not that I like Trier at PG but he is trying not to be a goal-hawk.

Yeah, good call on how Fizdale adjusted the defense with DSJ out there instead of Ntilikina.

mafra

Legend
First of all, let credit MRob and his impact. Huge getting him back.

DSJ giving the team 13 and 8 with 6 boards, using his athleticism as a weapon.... that was fun.

Dotson got it going in second half.

Morris with big shots.

We want to see that energy and execution consistently... not when they feel like it.

And how great was that, watching Frank prevent KP from stuffing it down.

mafra

Legend
You know the saying, fake it before you make it:

David Fizdale says that Frank Ntilikina came up to him recently and expressed confidence in his game.

Frank: "I feel like I finally understand what the NBA is about. I know I haven't shown it yet, but I'm a dog too"

David Fizdale said it was about two weeks ago when Frank Ntilikina, the soft-spoken point guard, walked into his office.

?He just said, ?Coach, I?ve been through a lot in my two years,?? Fizdale recalled.

?Just I think the work I put in all summer and even last season while I was injured, allows me to be more comfortable and everything else in life be more comfortable here in this country, this situation as an NBA player. And everything is set now,? Ntilikina said. ?So my mind is all the way into basketball and do what it takes to get to the next level. So I think that was the mindset ? just get to the next level. And how could I get to the next level? By being a dog, by asking questions, knowing where can I get better, how can I be a better player, how can I bring a lot to a lot to the team.?
Ntilikina was an 18-year-old from a small town in France when he was picked by the Knicks. Within a couple weeks, the team president who drafted him ? Phil Jackson ? was canned. Ntilikina missed his first Summer League with an injury. He was benched. He was overlooked. He was floated as a trade chip. That?s a lot to digest.

?Him coming into my office, saying that was a big step forward from a maturity standpoint,? Fizdale said. ?Him saying, ?This is what I really want.??

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-frank-ntilikina-20191115-27pvjr3n3vcu3ahxfi33357bsq-story.html?outputType=amp

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend

David Fizdale says that Frank Ntilikina came up to him recently and expressed confidence in his game.

Frank: "I feel like I finally understand what the NBA is about. I know I haven't shown it yet, but I'm a dog too"

David Fizdale said it was about two weeks ago when Frank Ntilikina, the soft-spoken point guard, walked into his office.

“He just said, ‘Coach, I’ve been through a lot in my two years,’” Fizdale recalled.

“Just I think the work I put in all summer and even last season while I was injured, allows me to be more comfortable and everything else in life be more comfortable here in this country, this situation as an NBA player. And everything is set now,” Ntilikina said. “So my mind is all the way into basketball and do what it takes to get to the next level. So I think that was the mindset – just get to the next level. And how could I get to the next level? By being a dog, by asking questions, knowing where can I get better, how can I be a better player, how can I bring a lot to a lot to the team.”
Ntilikina was an 18-year-old from a small town in France when he was picked by the Knicks. Within a couple weeks, the team president who drafted him — Phil Jackson — was canned. Ntilikina missed his first Summer League with an injury. He was benched. He was overlooked. He was floated as a trade chip. That’s a lot to digest.

“Him coming into my office, saying that was a big step forward from a maturity standpoint,” Fizdale said. “Him saying, ‘This is what I really want.’”

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...n3vcu3ahxfi33357bsq-story.html?outputType=amp

If we could only play the Mavs 82x . He was way more aggressive than the other day when I called him passive.

Kiyaman

Legend

“He just said, ‘Coach, I’ve been through a lot in my two years,’” Fizdale recalled.

“Just I think the work I put in all summer and even last season while I was injured, allows me to be more comfortable and everything else in life be more comfortable here in this country, this situation as an NBA player. And everything is set now,” Ntilikina said. “So my mind is all the way into basketball and do what it takes to get to the next level. So I think that was the mindset – just get to the next level. And how could I get to the next level? By being a dog, by asking questions, knowing where can I get better, how can I be a better player, how can I bring a lot to a lot to the team.”
Ntilikina was an 18-year-old from a small town in France when he was picked by the Knicks. Within a couple weeks, the team president who drafted him — Phil Jackson — was canned. Ntilikina missed his first Summer League with an injury. He was benched. He was overlooked. He was floated as a trade chip. That’s a lot to digest.

“Him coming into my office, saying that was a big step forward from a maturity standpoint,” Fizdale said. “Him saying, ‘This is what I really want.’”

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...n3vcu3ahxfi33357bsq-story.html?outputType=amp

I still say, put Frank & Dotson in the starter lineup!
And make the rookie RJ the 6th man.
It's obvious the DSJ & RJ guard tandem hasn't been working out to well ..
Last night the DSJ & Dotson guard tandem out-scored and out-defended the Mavs 2nd unit players to stretch the Knicks lead on several occasions.

Sleeping on Dotson to showcase an inexperience rookie RJ Barrett and a FAKE Zion in Randle had a lot to do with the 2-9 record !!!

I still say, put Frank & Dotson in the starter lineup!
And make the rookie RJ the 6th man.
It's obvious the DSJ & RJ guard tandem hasn't been working out to well ..
Last night the DSJ & Dotson guard tandem out-scored and out-defended the Mavs 2nd unit players to stretch the Knicks lead on several occasions.

Sleeping on Dotson to showcase an inexperience rookie RJ Barrett and a FAKE Zion in Randle had a lot to do with the 2-9 record !!!

That hitting the nail squarely on the head!!

If you notice Fiz both in both DSJ and MRob into the game together. This was 2 fold for going into the zone to hide DSJ and to get him some easy success in the offense with MRob. Not to say this was bad but why not help Frank out the same way. Play Dotson & Frank because they are our best defensive and all- around player. They are the most fundamentally sound players on the roster.