Game thread: New York Knicks vs Charlotte Hornets 7:30 11/16/2019 [Game #13]

My opinion is the same as the guy from the Daily Knicks, Graham was his man when the play started and "Ntiikina should have been all over him every inch of the floor."

Nits admitted himself that he could have done a better job and that they knew Graham was most likely going to take the shot because he was the hot shooter. It was one play, we should be just as concerned about the other 8 3s he made for his career night.
Well, I'm trying to understand your opinion and Daily Knicks. I'm not saying Graham wasn't his man. We are all in agreement with that fact.

I ask a series of question and you didn't answer not one. You didn't go back and look at the play. I did review the play 7 or 8 times
before I posted
to make sure I was correct. I didn't juice the story of that play like you did "Graham got a step on Frank". That would mean that Graham was in Front of Frank, huh?

Kiyaman

Legend
My opinion is the same as the guy from the Daily Knicks, Graham was his man when the play started and "Ntiikina should have been all over him every inch of the floor."

Nits admitted himself that he could have done a better job and that they knew Graham was most likely going to take the shot because he was the hot shooter. It was one play, we should be just as concerned about the other 8 3s he made for his career night.

The only thing Frank did wrong was NOTHING!
Fiz should have been yelling for Frank & MitchRob to double PJ up top so the inbound pass could've been thrown to Graham in the back-court, or MitchRob should have been up closer to the top of the key to foul PJ as soon as he touch the inbound pass, or make Graham drive inside to shoot a 2 ball.

The things that bothers and worries me the most bout the game was not the final play, but Fizdale's substitution coaching and the none play calling, especially the X n O play Fiz ran, having the ball, having the 102-100 lead, and having 33.2 seconds remaining in the game to make it a 4 pt Knicks lead. Did Fiz call a timeout after the Hornets scored a 100 pts from the FT line? NO!
Early in the third quarter, it seemed like the Hornets were going to get run out of the gym. They had been losing for much of the game, were struggling to score and had seen the Knicks' advantage grow to 15 points. Fizdale having a 15 pt lead and 6 min remaining in the 3rd qtr. takes Frank and Gibson tandem defense out of the game, and all of a sudden the Hornets 3s started falling, however, and in a six-minute span in the third, they drained as many triples to get back in the game.
Things stayed competitive the rest of the way, but with six seconds remaining, the Knicks held a two-point lead at 102-100. The Hornets had the ball, though, and that was plenty of time to make something happen. That's just what Graham did, taking a nice bounce pass from P.J. Washington and rattling home the three for the win as he fell down.

tiger0330

Legend
Look at the NBA.com highlights. Graham was Ntilikina's man, Nits is guarding him when Graham comes running down the court but then unwisely decides to switch to Washington when Graham gets a step on him. Graham gets the ball and Nits sees Graham is going to be wide open unless he makes a last second challenge, Nits was looking for help when Graham got the step on him but should have stayed in man coverage since he knew DG was the hot hand.

I look at he that play about last about 5 times running it back and forward. Then I look at it this morning for 3 or 4 times and stop and started the play. Could not see where Graham was before the ball was inbound to PJ. From how it look like Graham was in the back court so that is why Frank went to PJ.

Now I ask you where was MRob on the play? Was he on his man? Was Frank closer to his man than him? Graham never got a step on Frank so not sure where that came from. What was Frank to do if there was no one on PJ? Now if MRob was coming to the 3 pt line like he should have because Frank switch to defend PJ from dribbling or passing the ball. MRob could have block Graham shot.

Now you go back and look at it and tell me what you see.
Here's the video of the play. Clearly Nits is covering Graham in the backcourt and when the ball is inbounded, he leaves DG for a second and has his back turned to DG and allows him to catch the pass cleanly for DG to just have enough space to get off the shot. I think a smart defender would have stuck with Graham since he was the hot hand, not sure what Nits was doing in what looks to be an attempt to cover PJ, Nits was damn sure not in front of DG on the play.

MRob was near the 3 pt line so you could say he was defending against the 3, I've seen him come a lot further away to block a guys shot than the distance he was away from PJ. PJ would have had to take about a 30 footer from where he caught the inbounds anyway, you live with an uncontested shot from there.

Last edited:
At the 00.03 mark in the video chip. Frank was closer to both PJ and Graham at that point that all of the other Knick defender but Gibson.

At the 00.04 mark in the video chip. Frank is contesting Graham shot from the front of him not the side or behind.

In today NY Post Fiz acknowledge that Robinson should have been closer to his man. MRob wasn't on his man and Frank was defending two player instead of one. It that simple.

Thanks for the new video chip it showed exactly what I said earlier.

tiger0330

Legend
At the 00.03 mark in the video chip. Frank was closer to both PJ and Graham at that point that all of the other Knick defender but Gibson.

At the 00.04 mark in the video chip. Frank is contesting Graham shot from the front of him not the side or behind.

In today NY Post Fiz acknowledge that Robinson should have been closer to his man. MRob wasn't on his man and Frank was defending two player instead of one. It that simple.

Thanks for the new video chip it showed exactly what I said earlier.
YW but I'm sticking to my guns that you don't leave the guy that already made 8 3s to cover the guy that made 1.