Game thread: New York Knicks @ Philadelphia 76ers 7:00 11/20/2019 [Game #15]

Broadway

All Star
I saw we were up 17pts at one point and appears we collapsed...

Well the schedule isn?t going to get better. The way you lose is just as telling

The team is pulling the good ole Fake Hustle from yrs past

We?ve all seen this playbook before

tiger0330

Legend
Saw some positives though despite the 17 pt folderoo. Got 30 pts from our PG's and Fiz finally has the 10 guys that should be in the rotation. Ben Simmons hitting his first 3 pt shot ever reminds me of DFish first year when it seemed opposing players were setting all kinds of career bests against the team, Broadway is probably right about the fake Knicks and I'm way off about the positives.

Kiyaman

Legend
Tonight Game was a decent watchable game, but the Knicks still showed bad coaching from Fizdale leaving DSJ in for that long, while we were losing a double digit lead .. and this is not the first game Fiz did this. And Randle/Morris ball hogging needs to stop if we are to win close games.
I am really liking Gibson though. The unit with Frank, Dotson, Gibson Mitch was solid defensively ..
hopefully we can see more of that ....

40 baskets on 17 assists for us, vs 39 baskets on 30 assists for Philly.
I understand that these numbers don't tell everything about our offense, of course, but I started looking at the ratio since Fizdale became our coach and noticed that we seemed to be playing too much 1/1 ball. The assist to basket ratio seemed to confirm this for me.
I will keep on saying it until I consistently see something else, but we don't PLAY GOOD TEAM-BALL on the offensive end, and it really shows at times.

It doesn’t help that we have a few guys who just do constant ISO without ever getting reprimanded by the coach so that just kills possessions. There are times where the ball is moving well when we allow our guards to do so but it never lasts because these certain players go back to ISO and since they know they have free reign we lose a ton of leads and momentum. It's the same thing every game !!!

This game were the perfect illustration of what we have been talking about. Took the ball out of the PGs hands down the stretch even though its what led to our lead. Only to do the same thing that has failed us all season. Frank wasn't scared in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarter to gain a 17 pt lead.

mafra

Legend
MRob being in foul trouble, RJ having an off night, the team overall missing some free throws and committing a flurry of brain burn turnovers during the pivotal PHI late third furious run the get back into the game.

Typical Knicks, tho, but for some peculiar reason this season of woe appears to feel like it could be an investment into something worthwhile down the not so distant road.

Or, they?ll lose heart and will and be bottom feeders once again, this proving most are nothing more than barely above average usage players, at best.

mafra

Legend
David Fizdale's decision to substitute Ntilikina late in the third quarter hindered the Knicks during the Sixers' eventual 23-3 run from the 3:20 mark of the third to the 9:00 point of the fourth, turning a 77-60 Knicks lead to an 83-82 Sixers edge, but the third-year point guard defended his second-year head coach's move after the game.

"I was getting a little tired and Fiz' is doing a good job with that, rotating our players in," said Ntilikina, who added a rebound and a block. "We trust everyone on the court -- everyone, from the court to the bench -- everyone is coming in to bring everything that they can to the team and that's what happened tonight."

Fizdale pulled Ntilikina for Dennis Smith Jr., who scored 13 points -- 10 in the first half -- off the bench.

"(Ntilikina had a) huge impact, but I also thought Dennis played a very good basketball game as well," Fizdale said. "I just think that ... we went on our run, they came back, they picked up the pressure against us and they went on their run. And that's just what the game is, is a game of flows and like I keep saying, as long as we give ourselves a chance, I'm always going to be proud of our group."

Ntilikina entered the game against the Sixers with 5.2 points, 3.3 assists, 2.5 rebounds and 1.5 steals on average through 13 games (nine starts).

"It's just getting better and better and better and more confident," Fizdale said. "And like I said, it's -- we've gone through so much noise, (Ntilikina) and I together, and I'm just so proud of him, with the way he's handled everything and now how he's just not even thinking about it. As you could see, he's just out there playing and having fun, and all the team, we all have a lot of confidence in him."

Ntilikina's effort highlighted the recent trend small forward Marcus Morris, who dropped a game-high 22 points, has seen out of his team throughout the past week.

"My biggest thing to my entire team is stay aggressive," he said. "We need (Ntilikina) to stay aggressive and as soon as I said something, he turned it up and it was big for us and he's coming along, man. It's like I said earlier, I'm excited to see how he continues to grow and I'm just here to help him -- I call it putting a battery in his back. I just push him."

??-

Where was Knox last night?

RJ, playing with a sprained thumb, posted an 8-7-3-2 line. Dotson 1-6 shooting.

This RJ vs Dotson debate baffles me. They are almost completely different kinds of players. One is 19 and the other is 25. One is under team control for 4 seasons, the other is a free agent at the end of the season and unlikely to be resigned (what does mafra always say?...last guy to resign was Charlie Ward?).

This isn?t like Ntilikina vs DSJ where one guy is clearly playing at the expense of the other guy?s minutes.

The only thing these guys have in common is that we have barely won with each of them in the starting lineup.

mafra

Legend
I?m against NYK on NYK crimes. It just seems like, there are some, no matter what the thread or topic of conversation, it always morphs back to RJ sux, D-Dot great.

I wish for the latter and abhor reading the former.

tiger0330

Legend
This RJ vs Dotson debate baffles me. They are almost completely different kinds of players. One is 19 and the other is 25. One is under team control for 4 seasons, the other is a free agent at the end of the season and unlikely to be resigned (what does mafra always say?...last guy to resign was Charlie Ward?).

This isn’t like Ntilikina vs DSJ where one guy is clearly playing at the expense of the other guy’s minutes.

The only thing these guys have in common is that we have barely won with each of them in the starting lineup.
RJ vs. Dot like you say I don't think it matters that much who starts as far as the won loss. More important is the PG position and Frank/DSJ look to be getting it.

Frank in particular looks to be more aggressive, an example is one shot he took in the first half where he was wide open but hesitated but put the ball on the floor, stepped back and made the shot, earlier in the season Nits would have passed on the shot. He's gaining confidence and Fiz talks with him to be aggressive seem to be having an effect.
I noticed the vets also encouraging Nits, putting their arm around his shoulder and having a word with him, and I see MM mentioned that he's trying to motivate Nits to stay aggressive.

Yesterday's game was the first of the next 11 with teams that made the playoffs last year, solid PG play on the first and second unit couldn't come at a better time, that's going to have more impact than whether Fiz starts RJ or Dot.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
When a reporter asked Fizdale after the game, point-blank, if Ntilkina just doesn?t give a f?k anymore, the Knicks coach smiled.

?I told you about the meeting we had,?? Fizdale said. ?It was basically: ?F it.? I?m not going to be worried about all that stuff anymore. I think he?s cut back on what he?s reading and helped him keep a clear head. I like the way he?s managing the game and going about attacking.??

Ntilikina was 6-of-8 from the field and ? lo and behold ? his shooting percentage is now up to 40 percent. Last season, Ntilikina heard his name being bandied about on the trading block, even on draft night in June

?(I?m just) working the game, getting easy shots and taking what the defense gives to us,?? Ntilikina said. ?We felt more comfortable moving the ball, and that?s the work that we?ve put in since training camp.??

The 4-11 Knicks are a minus-0.6 points per game when Ntilikina is on the court. When the Frenchman is off the court, the Knicks are minus-6.3 points per game.

tiger0330

Legend
When a reporter asked Fizdale after the game, point-blank, if Ntilkina just doesn’t give a f–k anymore, the Knicks coach smiled.

“I told you about the meeting we had,’’ Fizdale said. “It was basically: ‘F it.’ I’m not going to be worried about all that stuff anymore. I think he’s cut back on what he’s reading and helped him keep a clear head. I like the way he’s managing the game and going about attacking.’’

Ntilikina was 6-of-8 from the field and – lo and behold – his shooting percentage is now up to 40 percent. Last season, Ntilikina heard his name being bandied about on the trading block, even on draft night in June

“(I’m just) working the game, getting easy shots and taking what the defense gives to us,’’ Ntilikina said. “We felt more comfortable moving the ball, and that’s the work that we’ve put in since training camp.’’

The 4-11 Knicks are a minus-0.6 points per game when Ntilikina is on the court. When the Frenchman is off the court, the Knicks are minus-6.3 points per game.
Another thing I like about the kid is he's all about the team. It's always WE, never I, withhim. I would be surprised if both of the kids (Frank DSJ) can keep this up that it doesn't translate to Ws.

Kiyaman

Legend

This isn?t like Ntilikina vs DSJ where one guy is clearly playing at the expense of the other guy?s minutes.

The past two season the Knicks front-office decision-making and moves throughout the season were to TANK TANK the season.
There's not much to be baffled about .. the NBA starter guards are the reason RJ Barrett should be coming off the bench!
Teams like Atlanta Hawks and Memphis Grizzles they Desperate! They need a star (Trae/JMorrant) to bring a fan base. Knicks don't!
If RJ Barrett was a offense or defensive threat on the court to opposing teams they would work on putting RJ Barrett into early foul trouble like they been doing Frank.
When you count the NBA guards that live at the FT line like Hardaway, Curry, Lilard, Lou, CP3, Luka, DM, Booker, Beal, Butler, Kyrie, Vanvleet, Lowry, Dragic, Smart, Kemba, Trae, Brogdon .. these guards are the reason RJ Barrett should be on the bench watching all these guards trick-moves to get defenders to foul them in his rookie season at the start of every game. Instead of falling for these guards trick-moves at the end of the game.

There's nothing to be baffled about ....
Dotson & Frank should've been given a chance to lead a lineup as tandem-guards in their rookie season, and also in their 2nd season, but they weren't because Dolan's Front-office had each head-coach experimenting each game on LOSING by putting in TANKING lineups .. Timmy, Lee, Baker, Session, Jack, Burke, Mudiay, Trier, and hope he make it Kadeem Allen .... True? or False?
There was never any type of development .. until these past few games having Frank & Gibson in the rotation working around ISO Randle/Morris/RJ

Last edited:
The past two season the Knicks front-office decision-making and moves throughout the season were to TANK TANK the season.
There's not much to be baffled about .. the NBA starter guards are the reason RJ Barrett should be coming off the bench!
If RJ Barrett was a offense or defensive threat on the court to opposing teams they would work on putting RJ Barrett into early foul trouble like they been doing Frank.
When you count the NBA guards that live at the FT line like Hardaway, Curry, Lilard, Lou, CP3, Luka, DM, Booker, Beal, Butler, Kyrie, Vanvleet, Lowry, Dragic, Smart, Kemba, Trae, Brogdon .. these guards are the reason RJ Barrett should be on the bench watching all these guards trick-moves to get defenders to foul them in his rookie season at the start of every game. Instead of falling for these guards trick-moves at the end of the game.

There's nothing to be baffled about ....
Dotson & Frank should've been given a chance to lead a lineup as tandem-guards in their rookie season, and also in their 2nd season, but they weren't because Dolan's Front-office had each head-coach experimenting each game on LOSING by putting in TANKING lineups .. Timmy, Lee, Baker, Session, Jack, Burke, Mudiay, Trier, and hope he make it Kadeem Allen .... True? or False?
There was never any type of development until these past games having Frank & Dotson in the rotation.

We?re not going to win regardless of who starts for us. Dotson is gone at the end of the year. I just don?t get the Dotson obsession. He?s an okay player, but we?re losing 55 to 60 games at least this season with him playing 30 minutes a game or him playing 3 minutes a game.

I mean, Dotson played 28 minutes per game for us last season and we were the worst team in the NBA. C?mon at this point with all this Dotson nonsense.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
We’re not going to win regardless of who starts for us. Dotson is gone at the end of the year. I just don’t get the Dotson obsession. He’s an okay player, but we’re losing 55 to 60 games at least this season with him playing 30 minutes a game or him playing 3 minutes a game.

I mean, Dotson played 28 minutes per game for us last season and we were the worst team in the NBA. C’mon at this point with all this Dotson nonsense.

We all know it would be wrong to take decent playing rookie out of the starter lineup after 15 games ..
Fizdale already received a Grade F for failure in the Knicks 2018-19-20 Starter lineup ..
how many times he change the starter lineup?

I'm thinking of what Coach Pop or Doc would have done with our Knick roster ....
It would've been nice to see RJ performance work its way to be the Knicks 6th man off the bench by the 10th game of the season .. RJ should be used at the SG/SF spot (Not PG) at SF having Frank & Dotson depth at guards creating transition lineups .. to take advantage of alot of the weak opposing teams .. Sorry, Knox has to be taken out of the rotation for a few games .... And the long minute of playing-time the Randle & Morris tandem received has to get cut down tremendously until the two players could come up with a few team-ball plays on offense .. their end of the game ISO heroics has the Knicks at 4-11 Knicks !!!