home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

San Antonio SpursNew York Knicks
Derrick White - Left Foot; Soreness (QUEST)Reggie Bullock - Cervical disc herniation (OUT)
-Elfrid Payton - Right hamstring strain (OUT)
--

Game Preview

The San Antonio Spurs have lost eight straight games for the first time since 1996-97, a skid that actually predated Gregg Popovich as the team's head coach.

The Spurs aim to put a stop to their losing ways on Saturday when they conclude their four-game road trip against the New York Knicks.

DeMar DeRozan scored 29 points and Rudy Gay recorded 17 of his 22 points in the first half on Friday as San Antonio dropped a 115-104 decision in Philadelphia.

DeRozan has scored 96 points on 35-of-56 shooting from the floor over his last three games for the Spurs, who have struggled to overcome sluggish starts this season.

"It's the story of our season thus far. It's really tough starts and then having to claw our way back in games. It's tough to do, especially on the road," Popovich said. "... We're just trying to not make as many mistakes, mostly at the defensive end. It always puts us in a bad way. We're working at it."

Unfortunately for Popovich and company, if they don't find a solution relatively fast, their string of 22 consecutive postseason berths will come to an end. That mark serves as the longest active streak in North American professional sports.

New York coach David Fizdale is keeping his guard up against San Antonio, and for good reason.

"Wounded animal and those are the most dangerous," Fizdale said, per Newsday. "They're still the Spurs to us. I don't think we have that luxury to look at any team any other way but with respect."

Knicks point guard Dennis Smith Jr. agreed.

"It's crazy. Thinking about it, hearing it," Smith Jr. said of the Spurs' skid. "It's actually hard to believe. But you know, it happens. It happens to the best of them. We're just worried about getting our win versus them (on Saturday) and that's what's important."

If one is looking for positives for San Antonio, well, it posted the seventh win in its last 10 encounters with New York in a 120-111 season-opening victory on Oct. 23.

Marcus Morris scored 26 points in that contest, all the while getting booed by Spurs fans at AT&T Center after he backed out of a verbal agreement with the team to sign with the Knicks in July.

Morris highlighted his 22-point, 13-rebound performance with four 3-pointers in Wednesday's 109-104 setback to the 76ers.

Taj Gibson has provided a jolt with his offense and has served as a mentor to Mitchell Robinson since signing a one-year, $10 million deal in the offseason.

"He does give that starting lineup a sense of stability," Fizdale said of the 34-year-old Gibson. "He's also been fantastic for Mitch. That relationship has been worthwhile."

Gibson said he has no issues keeping the seat warm for Robinson, New York's second-round pick in the 2018 NBA Draft.

"I'm doing what the team needs and it's needed now (starting), but it's Mitch's seat," Gibson told The New York Post. "I'm just keeping it warm for him. I work out with him every day. Just trying to get him better every day. I'm doing what the team needs and being the veteran."

(Field Level Media / cbssports.com)

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .... This game should be an easy win for the Knicks at MSG .. the Spurs were in Philly last night for their 8th consecutive loss .... Let's Go Knicks !!!
HOLD-UP!
Could Fizdale out-coach Pop for a Knicks win to put in Fizdale's short career book ???

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .... This game should be an easy win for the Knicks at MSG .. the Spurs were in Philly last night for their 8th consecutive loss .... Let's Go Knicks !!!
HOLD-UP!
Could Fizdale out-coach Pop for a Knicks win to put in Fizdale's short career book ???
Surprised that Pop has lost 8 in a row with both LMA and DeRozan being healthy. 8 L in a row sounds like something that would happen when both his star players were injured.

Spurs woes are an opportunity for the Knicks to win one at MSG. In PHI Fizdale on the first play Fiz ran a PnR with Nits getting him an easy layup so Fiz can draw up a play and Nits can get to the rim. I want to see more of that esp Nits attacking and creating.

Tells you everything you need to know about this team that we?re at home playing a team on an 8 game losing streak and we?re still favored to lose.

tiger0330

Legend
Spurs are eventually going to turn this around. They are 28th in ppg allowed, uncharacteristic for a Spurs team and Bellinelli who they picked up for shooting is 27% fg pct. Let's hope the Spurs can stink for one more game and we can get the win.

Broadway

All Star
Fake Hustle...

Got waxed by the raggedy Spurs again an embarrassing loss @ HOME

This team is predictable and garbage

tiger0330

Legend
Great steal by Ntilikina by pressuring the inbounds.
Didn't see most of the game but he had 6 steal and 9 dimes. His defensive stats seem to be improved from when I remarked that for a guy known for his D he never posted steals or blocks.

Not looking good being 0-2 so far in this 11 game stretch that may define the season for us.

43 half time points to a team that's been allowing 122 a game. Pretty sure a GLeague team could score more than 43, that is unwatchable. MSG crowd must have booing like crazy.

The Knicks did their usual fake comeback in the 4th quarter to get the lead to single digits, so that kept the fans from getting too angry.

mafra

Legend
Frank with a 9-3-9-6 line.... with 0 turnovers, was good. Only 2 NyK ever did that... Clyde and Michael Ray

?Though he was quiet in the first half, Frank Ntilikina wound up with extraordinary numbers that only 19 prior players have accomplished. The 21-year-old scored nine points with nine assists, six steals and no turnovers. The nine assists, six steals and no turnovers has only been done 19 times before, and Ntilikina is the youngest player ever to post those numbers in a game. Ntilikina, who stole an inbounds pass in the backcourt for a layup, has also been shooting 40 percent from 3-point land since becoming a starter. ?He had a heckuva game,? Fizdale said. ?He is competing his butt off.?

19 combined points from DSJ-Knox-Dotson-Taj-MItch-Trier group not so good.

RJ stuffed box sheet again...13-5-4-1-1... He needs to improve his shooting but he?s already NBA strong, at 19.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Frank with a 9-3-9-6 line.... with 0 turnovers, was good. Only 2 NyK ever did that... Clyde and Michael Ray

?Though he was quiet in the first half, Frank Ntilikina wound up with extraordinary numbers that only 19 prior players have accomplished. The 21-year-old scored nine points with nine assists, six steals and no turnovers. The nine assists, six steals and no turnovers has only been done 19 times before, and Ntilikina is the youngest player ever to post those numbers in a game. Ntilikina, who stole an inbounds pass in the backcourt for a layup, has also been shooting 40 percent from 3-point land since becoming a starter. ?He had a heckuva game,? Fizdale said. ?He is competing his butt off.?

19 combined points from DSJ-Knox-Dotson-Taj-MItch-Trier group not so good.

RJ stuffed box sheet again...13-5-4-1-1... He needs to improve his shooting but he?s already NBA strong, at 19.

Franks performance reminds me so much of the young Walt Clyde Frazier .. all the Knicks need is head-coach Red Holzman to have a trio of players in every lineup on the same-page.
Last night, the Knicks starter lineup and bench lineup were both out of sync with each of the teammates in their lineup.
The Knicks showed a sloppy performance throughout the first half of the game it made the 2nd half unwatchable for Knick fans.