Game thread: New York Knicks vs Indiana Pacers 7:30 12/7/2019 [Game #23]

Broadway

All Star
EP stinks. Missed a wide open 5 footer in the lane late then totally bungled the fast break with 10 seconds left. He gave ball up to MRob way too early.... as MRob launches from too far out and has dunk blocked.

If EP is your starting PG then you don’t have a PG.

EP played decent first game he played then stunk. I expect more bad games from EP ahead of us

Here's the thing, we had 5yrs of data on EP...there was literally no reason to sign him, NONE!

The saddest part about bringing him here, it exposes how bad our PG situation is...in that he's likely better than STANK and zero identity MIA DSJ maybe combined

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I believe Michael Kay said that only 40k watched Knicks on MSG against DEN. Less than number watching Islanders and about half as many as who watched Rangers.

It would be so ironic that NBA rigged lottery to save NO, only to have their NY market give up on b-ball. The apathy for Knicks is at an all time high.

NY may sell tix to tourists and fill MsG. But this franchise is on verge of being a team that gets zero TV ratings. Too bad they didn?t have Zion to help boost that for the NBA... but, hey, at least NO won?t have to fold... problem is, re-runs of Golden Girls draw more viewers now than Knicks.

I saw on my phone this was a close game... I didn?t care. I tuned in only bc it was halftime and only watched final 5 minutes. I knew they were losing. I don?t care to watch this team... not taping games, I?m not watching them later when I can. I can barely care enough to check
Box score... I?ll Watch if I am around and game is close under 5... that?s it. They suck!!!!!!

This is why you tank, folks. What worth is it losing with EP, Morris and Randle?

Frank, Dotson, RJ, Knox, MRob should be determining games late. At least you believe that is banking equity. Watching Morris and EP and Randle is seriously depressing.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Blame Fiz for MM, EP and Randle choking down the stretch? Can we fire Perry and Mills please!!!!!!!!!

Knicks Film School
@NYKFilmSchool
The Pacers didn?t score in the final 5:17 minutes of play, on the road, and they beat the Knicks

(MSG actually had a graphic that NY was on a ?4-0 run over 4:40 span)?.

tiger0330

Legend
Payton showing poise .. Payton the MAN in the 4th qtr.
We start Frank and have Payton backs him up !!!
He scored 2 pts. and we haven?t been winning with Nits as the starting PG. They made this coaching switch to see if they can win some games, I'm going with Payton as the starter if I'm Miller to see if he can change things. People are calling for the Knicks to start tanking the season but I don't think Mills and Perry will to see if they can save their jobs.

knicksin60

Starter
If Julius Randle can help us net a top 3 pick for the next three drafts he would have been a better free agent signing than Kevin Durant.

I saw nothing different in last night game than any the other loses. Miller stayed with the same starting lineup. This tell me that F.O. told him not to change the lineup and stay the course. I hear that Fiz was going to have major lineup changes. This would expose the F.O. error in F.A. and the draft. So maybe this was the final straw for F.O. to fire Fiz. The press being denied access to Fiz after draft and F.A. tell me that there was a problem. This could only be one thing and that is that Fiz didn't go only with the draft picks and F.A. signing. He is then expected to win with a bunch of square pegs for round holes. Not resigning Mudiay and Kornet were two player with some chemistry from last season. Not saying that example is correct but along with the other things....Just maybe.

I believe Michael Kay said that only 40k watched Knicks on MSG against DEN. Less than number watching Islanders and about half as many as who watched Rangers.

It would be so ironic that NBA rigged lottery to save NO, only to have their NY market give up on b-ball. The apathy for Knicks is at an all time high.

NY may sell tix to tourists and fill MsG. But this franchise is on verge of being a team that gets zero TV ratings. Too bad they didn’t have Zion to help boost that for the NBA... but, hey, at least NO won’t have to fold... problem is, re-runs of Golden Girls draw more viewers now than Knicks.

I saw on my phone this was a close game... I didn’t care. I tuned in only bc it was halftime and only watched final 5 minutes. I knew they were losing. I don’t care to watch this team... not taping games, I’m not watching them later when I can. I can barely care enough to check
Box score... I’ll Watch if I am around and game is close under 5... that’s it. They suck!!!!!!

This is why you tank, folks. What worth is it losing with EP, Morris and Randle?

Frank, Dotson, RJ, Knox, MRob should be determining games late. At least you believe that is banking equity. Watching Morris and EP and Randle is seriously depressing.

I agree with the last statement 100% even though I wouldn't put RJ in the mix but that a different discussion.

As for statement about rigging the lottery to save NO. The no-Tanking rules to discourage teams from during that...Worked. I certainly understand your cause for concern but let hope for the sake of decency that the rules worked. I'm not for cheating of any kind. I believe you build from the top down with good decisions on F.O personal and players. Not one that believe in buying a championship team. That not competition!!!

mafra

Legend
The obvious change we saw under Miller was defending the P&R... Finally, we stopped switching everything....

?Miller?s a better technician than Fizdale and a better on-court communicator,? said one NBA coaching source.

Yeah, if I?m Miller EP starts... Frank is ailing and DSJ is lost. But, if I am Miller, I know there?s 1 way I earn this gig for next year ? turn around Knox and DSJ. That should be his primary focus, along with ensuring the growth of MItch and RJ, Trier, Dotson and Frank.

Last edited:
They aren't a cohesive team so switching isn't to me a good thing. Plus team are taking away your main defensive player in Frank.

As for turning Knox and DSJ around this season. Knox needs playing time and confident that he isn't going to be bench or taken out of the game. That is a simple fix. DSJ isn't that easy. Leaving NY is the only thing that solve his problem. The expectation are to high for him because of the KP trade. He is all that is left from that disaster.

Starting EP?? WHY?? Frank is ailing? Looked alright last night. Well you know my take on starting PG. Give Frank the same freedom that was given to Trier last year and the case of F.A signed this year.

Miller should started Frank, Dotson, Knox, Morris and Robinson. Let this group form the chemistry needed to be a good team. Morris isn't the long term answer but for now he doing a pretty good job.

I was about to start talking about trades but remember what you said in another post about Mills and Perry making those decisions. They must go before Dec 15 or 16, huh??

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I saw nothing different in last night game than any the other loses. Miller stayed with the same starting lineup. This tell me that F.O. told him not to change the lineup and stay the course. I hear that Fiz was going to have major lineup changes. This would expose the F.O. error in F.A. and the draft. So maybe this was the final straw for F.O. to fire Fiz. The press being denied access to Fiz after draft and F.A. tell me that there was a problem. This could only be one thing and that is that Fiz didn't go only with the draft picks and F.A. signing. He is then expected to win with a bunch of square pegs for round holes. Not resigning Mudiay and Kornet were two player with some chemistry from last season. Not saying that example is correct but along with the other things....Just maybe.

Wow! C'mon, You didn't notice the BIG difference in the coaching-substitution, each Knick player were given a 5 to 7 minute chance to warm up in their lineup, we had 10 less lineup changes in last night game while playing a full 11-Man rotation.
We may have had to hold our breath throughout DSJ 12 min of playing-time, but coach Miller did give DSJ a chance, I'm sure Miller took note in the first half when he sent Frank to the bench and the Pacers went on a quick 12-2 run.
It must be said, when we signed Trier last season we had no need for a player having DSJ skills & talent.
Last night Knicks assists were up, turnovers down, we were good on the boards, and we defended reasonably well inside and outside.
Hopefully we build from this !!!
P.S. Randle's a decent role-player (24 min per) however, Randle's not a star role-player u give 30 min of playing-time every night.
And yes, Randle does have bout 20% of Keven Durant's offensive performance in his skills, that's it.
Dont let the Mills/Perry star $$$ contract to Randle get your expectation to believing Randle's a NBA star-player.

Kiyaman

Legend
He scored 2 pts. and we haven’t been winning with Nits as the starting PG. They made this coaching switch to see if they can win some games, I'm going with Payton as the starter if I'm Miller to see if he can change things. People are calling for the Knicks to start tanking the season but I don't think Mills and Perry will to see if they can save their jobs.

Frank & Dotson should be the Knicks starter tandem guards to improve their chemistry and NBA growth, and veteran Payton & rookie Barrett should be their tandem cleanup backup throughout the remainder of the season.
The Knicks rotation need a veteran starter center (Enes Kanter or DeAndre Jordan), this way Gibson could give us more minute at the 4 spot, and Randle receive less than 27 min per game.

Just edited a previous post that said 'switching is a good thing'. Well I meant 'switching isn't a good thing because the Knicks are a cohesive unit'.

As for "Losers switch". I question that one because switch mean you are constantly moving around picks. Plus the usual problems of mismatches. For a team with good chemistry, Yes. For a team like the Knicks fights over or around picks seen to be a better fit. You would think that they should be very good when using the zone.

Wow! C'mon, You didn't notice the BIG difference in the coaching-substitution, each Knick player were given a 5 to 7 minute chance to warm up in their lineup, we had 10 less lineup changes in last night game while playing a full 11-Man rotation.
We may have had to hold our breath throughout DSJ 12 min of playing-time, but coach Miller did give DSJ a chance, I'm sure Miller took note in the first half when he sent Frank to the bench and the Pacers went on a quick 12-2 run.
It must be said, when we signed Trier last season we had no need for a player having DSJ skills & talent.
Last night Knicks assists were up, turnovers down, we were good on the boards, and we defended reasonably well inside and outside.
Hopefully we build from this !!!
P.S. Randle's a decent role-player (24 min per) however, Randle's not a star role-player u give 30 min of playing-time every night.
And yes, Randle does have bout 20% of Keven Durant's offensive performance in his skills, that's it.
Dont let the Mills/Perry star $$$ contract to Randle get your expectation to believing Randle's a NBA star-player.

No, didn't notice a BIG different. Look the same to me. Now if you going to do something changed the lineup.

mafra

Legend
Marcus Morris called a players' only meeting on Friday before practice, and hours before David Fizdale was fired.

"I just called that meeting so we can, as players, talk it out and decide which direction we're trying to go in. At the end of the day, guys stood up, guys said their piece. I think it was a great meeting," he said Saturday.

Added Julius Randle: "It was what we needed. Nobody's going to turn this around for us except us. We just have to keep doing what we were doing (Saturday) and we're going to win."

Sources confirmed that part of the meeting was focused on playing unselfishly and holding one another accountable, and RJ Barrett and Randle were among the players addressed by Morris in the meeting, as the New York Daily News reported.

Multiple players said they need to pass out of double teams more frequently and it was addressed, SNY learned.

Sources confirmed that all players took the critiques in the meetings constructively.

Those are the things that cause rift in player relationships. It seen to follow Fiz from last year to this year. Players especially the Vet didn't like it that Trier was ISO in the games. Call out by THJ and Burks and they were soon traded. Now we have RJ(another rookie) and Randle hogging the ball. What about the player from last year that remember all that BS. Of course these of the arms and legs of something great growing and it called 'Cancer'.

Cancer must be CUT OUT!!!

An observation that just pop up during the Pacers game. I'll pose them as question... 1. Is RJ fast enough to handle the SG? 2. Does RJ have a quick first step for the SG position? 3. Is RJ explosive going to basket?
I'll stop there and wait for your answers. Asking these questions of all of you but I already know the answers. Never could put my finger on exactly it was about RJ until a play when he had the ball. It all fell into place.