Game Thread - New York Knicks at Sacramento Kings - Friday, 10/14/19

Latest game thread of all time.

Knicks win with a big 2nd half comeback. Back to back wins.

Small sample size, but Miller definitely seems to be an upgrade over the lame duck Fizdale.

Kiyaman

Legend

Small sample size, but Miller definitely seems to be an upgrade over the lame duck Fizdale.

2nd Road win for coach Mike Miller .. GO Knicks !!!

If we extend this winning streak it's going to make Fizdale look real-real bad !!!

mafra

Legend
2 in a row? Dare I say, a win streak. Something that went extinct in the early Fizdale Era.

tiger0330

Legend
Definitely 2 different styles of play under the 2 coaches. Miller plays to his team's strengths, has a roster of 4 vet PFs so he says I'll play them and has them attacking the rim to get his points in the paint, Fiz goes small ball with a worse than avg shooting team.

Heard a comment that with their vets the Knicks should not have the record they had which I've been saying when Fizdale was the coach. Let's see over 10 games under Miller but I'd expect assists and rebounds will be up and we'll be winning these close ones and not losing them.

Still don't like this 3 headed PG Miller has installed, can't remember any team running anything like it giving 3 guys equal minutes, Payton should be starting and DSJ and Nits should be fighting for backup minutes and with Miller's emphasis on attacking the paint I'd give DSJ the nod over Nits, maybe give Nits more minutes at the 2 and cut back RJs minutes.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend

Thanks for the game thread htr10. We've had consecutive game threads over a couple of seasons now and it would have been a shame to break the streak.

Definitely 2 different styles of play under the 2 coaches. Miller plays to his team's strengths, has a roster of 4 vet PFs so he says I'll play them and has them attacking the rim to get his points in the paint, Fiz goes small ball with a worse than avg shooting team.

Heard a comment that with their vets the Knicks should not have the record they had which I've been saying when Fizdale was the coach. Let's see over 10 games under Miller but I'd expect assists and rebounds will be up and we'll be winning these close ones and not losing them.

Still don't like this 3 headed PG Miller has installed, can't remember any team running anything like it giving 3 guys equal minutes, Payton should be starting and DSJ and Nits should be fighting for backup minutes and with Miller's emphasis on attacking the paint I'd give DSJ the nod over Nits, maybe give Nits more minutes at the 2 and cut back RJs minutes.

I agree with the dislike of the 3 PG attack but disagree about who should start and get the buck of the minutes. It still Frank for me but my patients is wearing very thin with him. Miller is running the same offense with Frank starting. Last night I did see some aggressive in Frank but not enough and I'm growing tired of it. TAKE THE DAMN BALL TO BASKET!! If he doesn't then bring him to the bench and let him sit. Tell him when he decides to do what is required then he can play. Stop Frank from shooting 3's . He seen to be a much better 2 pt shooter. Lastly when going to the basket do you best to dump the ball.

Not sure why Miller still have RJ playing the 4th quarter. He is a defensive liability. RJ is sagging to basket to rebound(that account for his abnormal reb. total). He is getting lost and somebody else is picking up his man. Buddy was killing him last night. RJ was switch to guard the PG in order that to be to embarrass. Buddy had about 24 before Miller put in Dotson and then switch Frank on him.

Why aren't there any plays for Frank to get into scoring rhythm? None!!

Kiyaman

Legend

Thanks for the Game-Thread htr10 ....
Tiger .. Last night it was the tandem of Frank & Dotson's early 4th quarter run to bring the Kings lead down to 2 pts.
Dotson's 2-Way scoring energy performance off the bench in the 2nd half pave the way for last night Knicks win.
I like the Payton & Dotson tandem, and I like the Frank & Dotson tandem as our back-court guards tandem.
Our rookie RJ Barrett performance has become a individual scoring SF instead of SG, plus RJ defense is weak in so many areas from being under Fizdale's coaching. Our rookie RJ Barrett minute need to be cut until mid-season.
Plus DSJ has to be bench till the start of mid-season.
Trier need to be eased into the rotation, and Dotson should become our 6th Man off the bench.
I'm pulling for coach Miller to do the right thing by getting the Knicks to have a 10 win record before the New Year 2020 hits !!!

tiger0330

Legend
I agree with the dislike of the 3 PG attack but disagree about who should start and get the buck of the minutes. It still Frank for me but my patients is wearing very thin with him. Miller is running the same offense with Frank starting. Last night I did see some aggressive in Frank but not enough and I'm growing tired of it. TAKE THE DAMN BALL TO BASKET!! If he doesn't then bring him to the bench and let him sit. Tell him when he decides to do what is required then he can play. Stop Frank from shooting 3's . He seen to be a much better 2 pt shooter. Lastly when going to the basket do you best to dump the ball.

Not sure why Miller still have RJ playing the 4th quarter. He is a defensive liability. RJ is sagging to basket to rebound(that account for his abnormal reb. total). He is getting lost and somebody else is picking up his man. Buddy was killing him last night. RJ was switch to guard the PG in order that to be to embarrass. Buddy had about 24 before Miller put in Dotson and then switch Frank on him.

Why aren't there any plays for Frank to get into scoring rhythm? None!!

Thanks for the Game-Thread htr10 ....
Tiger .. Last night it was the tandem of Frank & Dotson's early 4th quarter run to bring the Kings lead down to 2 pts.
Dotson's 2-Way scoring energy performance off the bench in the 2nd half pave the way for last night Knicks win.
I like the Payton & Dotson tandem, and I like the Frank & Dotson tandem as onur back-court guards tandem.
Our rookie RJ Barrett performance has become a individual scoring SF instead of SG, plus RJ defense is weak in so many areas from being under Fizdale's coaching. Our rookie RJ Barrett minute need to be cut until mid-season.
Plus DSJ has to be bench till the start of mid-season.
Trier need to be eased into the rotation, and Dotson should become our 6th Man off the bench.
I'm pulling for coach Miller to do the right thing by getting the Knicks to have a 10 win record before the New Year 2020 hits !!!
Thought that the Payton Dotson pairing was the best backcourt we put out there. Dotson might have the most range of any of the guards we have, only guy that can knock down a 30fter of all the guys we have, his 30fter early in the 4th was big in the comeback and a few minutes later he splashed a shorter 23 ft 3. If you start Dotson and Payton I'm not sure a 2nd unit of Nits/DSJ RJ Knox Portis MRob would be good enough so maybe Dotson needs to come off the bench for his scoring and D.

Nits wasn't a factor in the win, looked to me his teammates didn't trust his play making either, saw numerous times when there was a choice to pass to him or another player even if it was a big like MM the ball wouldn't go to Nits. He still picks up his dribble too early and passes it so others can create.

Don't agree that Buddy victimized RJ alone, a lot of guys covered him during the game including Ntilikina, Taj even got a key block on his jumper in the final minutes that helped seal the game.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
EP clearly demonstrated he should be the starting PG. let him run with it and see what happens.

Dotson and EP and RJ and hot hand should clearly be the 4 G rotation.

MRob is developing nicely... Knox? Trier? Knits? Not as we hoped.

mafra

Legend
In his four games, Miller?s major defensive change has been switching less often on pick and rolls. On Friday, the Knicks finally wore down Sacramento in the fourth quarter, holding the Kings to 21 points as they shot 36.4 percent.

?We just locked into the details of the game,? Julius Randle said. ?Not switching as much. Just getting into the ball, making it tough on their guards. The guards were doing a great job of pressuring them. We?re all communicating and doing our job.?

The Knicks? assist-to-turnover ratio is also improving under Miller. The Kings didn?t have a steal Friday. It?s only the third time in Kings? history they were without a steal. The Knicks committed just eight turnovers.

Thought that the Payton Dotson pairing was the best backcourt we put out there. Dotson might have the most range of any of the guards we have, only guy that can knock down a 30fter of all the guys we have, his 30fter early in the 4th was big in the comeback and a few minutes later he splashed a shorter 23 ft 3. If you start Dotson and Payton I'm not sure a 2nd unit of Nits/DSJ RJ Knox Portis MRob would be good enough so maybe Dotson needs to come off the bench for his scoring and D.

Nits wasn't a factor in the win, looked to me his teammates didn't trust his play making either, saw numerous times when there was a choice to pass to him or another player even if it was a big like MM the ball wouldn't go to Nits. He still picks up his dribble too early and passes it so others can create.

Don't agree that Buddy victimized RJ alone, a lot of guys covered him during the game including Ntilikina, Taj even got a key block on his jumper in the final minutes that helped seal the game.

RJ is the SG... Buddy was their SG, correct. Frank at the point got their PG, correct. Then those 24 pt Buddy drop was on a lot of guys? Why was Dotson rush into the game? Dotson and Frank ran him and them there was Randle on one defensive stop that was perfect. Now tell me when did RJ get one stop close that one or those of Dotson and Frank? That the problem with RJ he is to slow to guard SG. He is getting constantly beat on their 1st step and then he loses them after that and sag to the basket to rebound. That leave other the cover for his mistakes. Of course nobody is saying anything about that and having him on the floor in the final minutes of the 4th quarter.

I totally agree with you about Frank and his teammates don't trust him. Saw on one play he passes the ball to MM and circle around the basket to get open and MM saw him and passed to a someone else that was covered. Agreed again about picking up his dribble. This could be a habit that he was form because they didn't want him to have the ball. Frank seen to me that he is going to follow whatever the play is and not do what he wants. To me it look like everybody but Frank has the green light. RJ and Randle are hogging the ball and it causing problem. Since that meeting that MM called RJ and Randle still are hogging the ball to much for me.

I don't like the 4th quarter lineup.

BTW, Knots is playing very good defense and should be given more minutes.

tiger0330

Legend
RJ is the SG... Buddy was their SG, correct. Frank at the point got their PG, correct. Then those 24 pt Buddy drop was on a lot of guys? Why was Dotson rush into the game? Dotson and Frank ran him and them there was Randle on one defensive stop that was perfect. Now tell me when did RJ get one stop close that one or those of Dotson and Frank? That the problem with RJ he is to slow to guard SG. He is getting constantly beat on their 1st step and then he loses them after that and sag to the basket to rebound. That leave other the cover for his mistakes. Of course nobody is saying anything about that and having him on the floor in the final minutes of the 4th quarter.

I totally agree with you about Frank and his teammates don't trust him. Saw on one play he passes the ball to MM and circle around the basket to get open and MM saw him and passed to a someone else that was covered. Agreed again about picking up his dribble. This could be a habit that he was form because they didn't want him to have the ball. Frank seen to me that he is going to follow whatever the play is and not do what he wants. To me it look like everybody but Frank has the green light. RJ and Randle are hogging the ball and it causing problem. Since that meeting that MM called RJ and Randle still are hogging the ball to much for me.

I don't like the 4th quarter lineup.

BTW, Knots is playing very good defense and should be given more minutes.
Payton guarded Buddy in the 1st qtr as well as RJ. RJ did an OK job of defending Buddy imo, Buddy is a tough cover. Miller went with Nits in the 3rd to matchup with Buddy being the better defender, that's good coaching making in game adjustments, something we didn't get a lot of with Fizdale.

Payton guarded Buddy in the 1st qtr as well as RJ. RJ did an OK job of defending Buddy imo, Buddy is a tough cover. Miller went with Nits in the 3rd to matchup with Buddy being the better defender, that's good coaching making in game adjustments, something we didn't get a lot of with Fizdale.

With all due respect!!! It does take a rocket scientist to know that Buddy was going to be a "tough cover" in the 1st qtr. If RJ did alright then why was Dotson rush into the game so quickly. BTW, that was the 1st quarter when Dotson came in to defend Buddy not Payton. Please don't try to make excuse for coach Miller. When he does the same things Fiz did then there are no excuses. He should have never been starting RJ in the first place. Make the adjustment before the start of the game and start Dotson. PURE AND SIMPLE!!!