Trade Deadline News

mafra

Legend
NBA trade rumors: Knicks reportedly interested in Andre Drummond, would be next big (man) mistake

By Sam Quinn (CBS Sports)

Once upon a time, the New York Knicks surrendered three first-round draft picks to build a front-court around Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph. The plan was derided around the league, as teams were already beginning to trend smaller, but Isiah Thomas insisted that zigging while the rest of the league zagged was a wise idea. It wasn't. That combination never made the playoffs. This was 13 years ago.

You would think that the Knicks would have learned their lesson in that time, but alas, this summer's spending spree ended with the Knicks guaranteeing four separate power forwards nearly $80 million combined. Already in place were promising young center Mitchell Robinson, a former lottery pick in Kevin Knox best-suited to be playing power forward, and incoming No. 2 pick R.J. Barrett, who has had to slide all the way down the positional spectrum to shooting guard to accommodate his team's deluge of big men. Amazingly, though, the Knicks don't feel as though they have enough of them.

The Knicks recently inquired about Detroit Pistons center Andre Drummond, according to Shams Charania of Stadium. Talks reportedly didn't go far. The Pistons are apparently asking for one or two first-round picks along with expiring contracts as matching salary, but the price is hardly relevant from the Knicks' perspective. The process that led to asking in the first place is. The Knicks looked at their broken roster, and if only for a second, thought the solution would be more size.

Size is the one thing that the Knicks have an abundance of. Putting aside their fleet of power forwards, Robinson has been arguably New York's player this season. He is shooting 73 percent from the field and averaging nearly two blocks per game since David Fizdale was fired. He is one of the most athletically gifted big men in the league, is under contract for less than $4 million total over the next two years, and he in no way, shape or form fits with Drummond.

The Knicks could theoretically acquire Drummond and keep Robinson as a backup, but Drummond plays 34 minutes per game. That hardly gives Robinson much of a chance to shine. Neither has made a 3-pointer this year, and both take most of their shots near the rim, so playing them together wouldn't work.

Considering their reported disinterest in giving away picks, there is only one realistic structure for a Drummond trade involving the Knicks: expiring salaries, which New York has a plethora of, and Robinson. No team in their right mind would give up a 21-year-old with over two years of team control at essentially a minimum salary for a similar player who is five years older making a near-max salary, especially one with a player-option at the end of the season, but then, who has ever accused the Knicks of being in their right mind?

All reports have indicated that Knicks owner James Dolan needs to see progress in order to bring team president Steve Mills back next season. While the initial returns under Mike Miller playing against lottery teams were promising, the Knicks have now lost five games in a row playing against playoff-caliber competition. Progress is likely to remain elusive with the Knicks set to play against five championship contenders in their next seven games. Given the already flawed nature of this roster, it is probably going to have to be manufactured.

Which is the crux of where this rumor likely comes from: desperation. Adding Drummond makes almost no sense in the context of this roster and the organization's apparent long-term plans, but if Mills needs to win a few extra games to save his job, swapping Robinson for Drummond is a theoretical way to go about it.

Whether Dolan allows Mills to mortgage the future of a franchise he may not work for in a few months is unclear, but Ian Begley of SNY reported that the Knicks are interested in adding a starter-level player.

Mills won't go down without a fight. It's not as if this would be the first move he's ever made out of self-preservation. In the summer of 2017, he used the brief window following Phil Jackson's departure but before David Griffin's interview to replace him to sign Tim Hardaway Jr. to a much-maligned $72 million contract. That deal, and the apparent power it proved Mills still possessed within the organization, led to Griffin losing interest in the Knicks job, according to Frank Isola of The Athletic.

There is no good reason for the Knicks to trade for Drummond, but rarely are Knicks moves made for a good reason. Any trade for Drummond would be made for the benefit of the man running the Knicks rather than the Knicks themselves. At least adding Drummond would help the Knicks avoid the embarrassment of failing to sign a star free agent this summer. His new contract would take away the cap space they'd do it with in the first place.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...andre-drummond-would-be-next-big-man-mistake/

tiger0330

Legend
Perry seems to be drawn by old connections and past deals he’s been involved in, Drummond wouldn’t be the worst player the Knicks could get if you didn’t have to give up MRob but there are other needs for the Knicks like PG instead of a defensive big man. I’d give them Knox and DSJ for him though.

I had hopes about Perry in his first season after he found MRob and Zo, but he’s been a disappointment since esp. working with Mills.

Drummond has a 28 million dollar player option for next season which he is going to decline to pursue a 30+ million dollar a year deal in free agency.

Trading for him using any of our meager assets is insane. Mills and Perry definitely will do this trade.

tiger0330

Legend
i'd throw in a lot more then those 2 turds... i would think salaries gotta match... how about we give em the whole team , keeping 2-3 guys and start the rebuild... AGAIN...
Yeah, you have to include any of those team option contracts, draft picks but the Knicks could get this to work. We had Jordan on the team and I’d take Drum over DJ any day. Not saying its a deal I would pursue because a big man defensive player is not our most pressing need, we need a PG and shooters.

Just read an online report that it was the Pistons who initiated talks with the Knicks and are looking to trade Drummond for Randle and Ntilikina.

mafra

Legend
Just read an online report that it was the Pistons who initiated talks with the Knicks and are looking to trade Drummond for Randle and Ntilikina.

Knicks would have to seriously consider that trade. I would ask for second rounder too, but if nothing else... get out from that Randle contract.

This would let NY slide Knox to PF, to really see if he can develop.

I think that giving up Randle and Ntilikina, who are under contract for next season, for Drummond, who is likely going to walk at the end of the year, would be an unwise move unless we do either get picks or we are looking to completely clear cap space a la The Process.

I know we are going to strike out huge again in the 2020 offseason, so Randle?s contract not coming off the books until 2021 doesn?t bother me.

Broadway

All Star

We've been known the Pistons interest in Stank...don't like that it would cost Randle but Drummond mixed with increased production from others makes this a fair trade. I'd easily do it. Plus we control rights on Drummond

Broadway

All Star
Knicks would have to seriously consider that trade. I would ask for second rounder too, but if nothing else... get out from that Randle contract.

This would let NY slide Knox to PF, to really see if he can develop.

Agree it's not like Randle and Stank are contributing to wins. Drummond is not going to get another max deal. The only team to question is the Hawks. I see him opting in once reality sets in

mafra

Legend
This deal isn?t about Drummond, it?s about dumping Randle. Actually, as the previous article I posted stated, Drummond relegates MRob to back-up C (playing about 14-22 minutes a game).

Randle was a fine gamble... why not.... I?m not trying to run him out of town, but I?d prefer to move on from him bc I don?t want his contract on our books anymore.... He?s not a good fit with RJ and MRob, and he?s blocking Knox.

At the cost of just Frank? Do it.... why not. Drummond is best player in deal.... Morris and Drummond give us 2 quality scorers. We could flip MM for a first rounder too, and pitch brining him back with Drummond. In offseason.

My only 2 concerns and focus, for remainder of season, in order:

Throw kids in deep end to see who can float

Maintain cap flexibility

If we don?t have Randle, that?s more money to throw at Brandon Ingram or something.

mafra

Legend
Ian Bagley:

?New York did indeed touch base with Detroit about a potential Andre Drummond trade. Now, things can and do change quickly here in trade season, because we?re so close to the deadline. But I was told that the Knicks? recent talks with Detroit were indeed more serious than just an exploratory nature.?

He also mentions DSJ as a name DET was interested in.

Randle and DSJ!!!

Drummond is from NY, I think. He?s relatively young.... If Knicks did end up signing him.... MRob becomes a nice trade chip.... not that I?m looking to move him tho, but it depends what piece you?re getting back.

mafra

Legend
According to an NBA source, some members of the front office are leaning toward holding onto Morris at the deadline ? unless they get back a star-type player in a large package.

The source said a minor Morris deal that would net a late first-round pick and force them to take on a non-expiring contract is not an attractive option at this juncture. The Knicks prefer not to diminish their 2020 or 2021 cap space in any deal.

With Morris making $15 million this season, a third team would likely be needed to make the math work. The source said several playoff teams have interest in Morris.

M.Berman (NY Post)

we don't need cap space.... no one wants to sign with us... maybe that changes...maybe not...

I totally agree with this. Cap space just allows us to overpay mid tier free agents. We are years away from enough of a culture change to attract any star free agents.

Broadway

All Star
I totally agree with this. Cap space just allows us to overpay mid tier free agents. We are years away from enough of a culture change to attract any star free agents.

We're always in a state of wanting everything but willing to do nothing. I hate this organization

Last edited:
We're always in a state of wanting everything but willing to do nothing. I hate this organization

If this front office had any foresight, it would constantly be looking to accumulate assets to try to find a way to trade for a star. Instead, we expect one to come find us. Our front office learns the wrong lesson from every failure.

mafra

Legend
I would welcome bringing in bad deals for picks and assets. Yes am fine watching a lineup of Frank, RJ, Knox, Wooten, MRob, with Trier and DSJ and whatever. Just build and develop and wait for lottery to bring a gift.

Kiyaman

Legend
Is anyone thinking bout Coach Miller's future as a Knicks?
Is anyone thinking bout the early NBA growth of future-star RJ and MitchRob as Knicks 5 yrs from now?
Are Mills/Perry gonna keep switching players twice a year?
Will 3rd season Frank and Dotson be a Knick at the end of the season?
Marcus Morris & Gibson complimentary performance are a 4 yr Keeper to help improve the Knicks young-core players.

No to Miller in the future. Reason-- He doesn't recognize the flow of the game when it comes to staying with the player with the hot hand. I said it before 'he is a creature of habit and the 4th quarter shows.

Growth of future stars-- As for MRob there got to be a 'Big man coach' for him. One that can help him develop a mid-range jumper and put the ball on the floor. How about Kevin Garnett. This what I see if we keep RJ. We aren't going where as a team if he is the focal point. He doesn't move the needle, PERIOD.

Mills/Perry should be after thoughts because they should be fired NOW or month ago or last summer or last year. They can't be allowed to make any trades, PERIOD.

If we are lucky and that is saying a lot. New GM & President & Coach will see the benefits of having both(Frank & Dotson). Now that means having all 3 needs to know BB. In this day and time there aren't many of them.

Morris and Gibson -- Morris -Yes: Gibson - Hell NO: I'm not keeping anybody but Morris not even Bullock. A big man coach would be what I want for the center position leaving a roster spot open.