Trade Deadline News

mafra

Legend
I felt the only way Miller saves his job is to (1) avoid 50 losses or (2) Dolan will sit a year and wait for his golden child in TOR (and wants him to hire his mgr).

Late Governor of Louisiana 'Hugh Long' said, "The only person that going to help a Knick is another Knick". Not exactly but close. The league has closed ranks on us and not we must build from the inside. Not waiting on super FA signing but growing young hungry players from the inside. Of course that means you need someone with a very, very good eye for talent. Who was the last person that you knew possess that quality?

tiger0330

Legend
I like how the Grizzly have drafted with Ja, JJ, Clarke, Brooks a lot of it is luck if the draw but they recently demoted their former GM Chris Wallace to a scout and promoted a young 30 yr old NY lawyer Zach Kleinman to be in charge of basketball operations. Not sure who had the responsibility of drafting their young players but I would look into whether Wallace should get another shot (being made a scout says something about his eye for talent) or going in the direction both the Grizzly and Lakers made going with a young hot shot lawyer if they can't get a Ujiri or Presti here.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
If this front office had any foresight, it would constantly be looking to accumulate assets to try to find a way to trade for a star. Instead, we expect one to come find us. Our front office learns the wrong lesson from every failure.

How many asset (keeper) players did the Knicks front office (Mills/Perry) put on the Knick team since 2017 offseason?

mafra

Legend
RJ and MRob only keeper building blocks. And even those 2 I would trade for the right return (KAT).

How many asset (keeper) players did the Knicks front office (Mills/Perry) put on the Knick team since 2017 offseason?

Assets don?t have to be real. Good front offices take advantage of perceptions. Sixers got picks trading guys like huge draft bust Nerlens Noel to Dallas. Trade your guys with perceived value to someone else who doesn?t realize they actually stink.

mafra

Legend
Could Lakers Trade Kuzma to Knicks?

That could be fluff spread to the public to raise Morris? value, however. Given the right price, the Knicks would absolutely deal Morris to the Lakers. Through the grapevine, New York apparently values acquiring decent and young-ish players over raw assets like future draft picks. Kyle Kuzma has been thrown around trade proposals. And it?s widely known L.A. approached the Sacramento Kings for wing Bogdan Bogdanovic. Should the Lakers be rebuffed approaching the deadline, it would be smart to discuss a deal with Knicks general manager Scott Perry on Morris? availability.

The question of price is particularly intriguing given the organization and Lakers fans? evaluation of the 24-year-old Kuzma. Kuzma has far from flourished during the 2019-20 season after the arrival of All-NBA power forward Anthony Davis. Morris has actually mostly played at small forward for New York. So given the franchise?s proclivity to play big, it?s not a stretch to suggest plugging Kuzma at the three would be doable.

Should the Lakers prefer solving their Kuzma-Davis headache by trading the former, the Knicks could be a worthy destination in order to acquire the expiring Morris (who turned down a multi-year offer in the summer from in-arena rival Clippers).

mafra

Legend
This trade can?t happen straight up, bc of cap reasons... MM at 15 mil and KK at 2 mil.

About 12-13 mil gap... Unless a third team is in the mix, then LAK is gonna have to eat from their depth to make this trade happen.

Some combination of Quinn Cook, KCP,
&/or Avery Bradley have to be tossed into the mix.

Kuzma, Cook, KCP and a million filler player works for Morris and Bullock.

I would imagine Lakers would want a rotation player to make it easier for their title run.

LJ is basically the PG... They have Rondo, Bradley, Caruso, Cook, KCP, for their guards. SF like Dudley and Green SG types too.

Point is, they want to surround LJ and AD with as many shooters as possible.

I would imagine Lakers would want a G back, maybe even a lottery ticket in a DSJ?

Would Kuzma, KCP, Bradley and for Morris, DSJ, and Bullock be a possible best case scenario for NY?

Get an upgrade at PG and SG for next season and a young asset. Kuzma and MRob a very nice PF/C combo to build around?

tiger0330

Legend
Teams usually also don’t get firsts except in these block buster deals. The last trade that netted a team a first was 3 years ago when the Nets traded Bogdonavich to the Wiz for filler and a protected first.

So don’t get your hopes up too high that any team is going to offer a first for a couple months of service for MM. Now the question is will the Knicks trade him for a second round pick.j

And the rest of the league continues to do what our front office can never seem to do:

Portland trades away Bazemore to shed 12.5 million in salary, as well as save luxury tax money, and gives Sacramento 2 future 2nd round picks for absorbing the salary. Bazemore is an expiring deal.

tiger0330

Legend
[h=1]
Article from The Athletic on the Knicks as we approach the trade deadline.

The steals and deals the Knicks should target as NBA’s trade season heats up

[/h]
GettyImages-1190287268-1024x683.jpg

By Mike Vorkunov Jan 20, 2020
comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

We’re less than three weeks away from the NBA’s trade deadline. Feb. 6 will be here sooner than you think. There’s been some action already (Jeff Teague, Kent Bazemore for Trevor Ariza, Jordan Clarkson) but there is lots of time left for more.
The Knicks are an unknown heading into the deadline. Will they really hold on to Marcus Morris for the whole season? How many of the free agents they signed this offseason will they deal? Most of the questions have been around what they’ll do with their roster but the returns matter just as much.
I took some time to think through players who might interest the Knicks based on their roster needs, the player’s contract, and how they’ve gone about player acquisition in the past. The Knicks love to buy low on former lottery picks, aren’t looking to add long-term contracts to eat cap, and still don’t have many long-term pieces in the organization.
With that in mind, here are a few players who could make sense within those parameters.
Jerome Robinson: The Clippers made Robinson the 13th overall pick in the 2018 draft, pairing him with Shai Gilgeous-Alexander as a potential backcourt of the future. Robinson had a rough rookie year, but he’s the only 2018 lottery pick still in Los Angeles. He struggled for playing time last season, while also dealing with injuries, and is averaging just 11.8 minutes per game this season on a deep team. Robinson could make sense as part of a return if the Knicks decide to deal Morris. Some scouts have believed that Morris could net the Knicks a young player and second-round picks. Morris would be a valuable addition to the Clippers, who have title aspirations. But part of the evaluation here is if the Knicks valued Robinson as high as the Clippers did going into the 2018 draft. Every team’s draft board differs and just because Robinson was a lottery pick doesn’t mean every team saw him as one.
Kris Dunn: The Knicks are still in search of a point guard and the Bulls just took one sixth in the draft and signed Tom?š Satoransk?. Dunn, the No. 5 pick in 2016, will be a restricted free agent this summer. He has received ample playing time in Chicago, but has been unable to take the starting job. His offense lags behind his defense. But it would behoove the Knicks to try jump ahead of the restricted free agent market before the summer, especially in an offseason when they could have cap space and there’s expected to be a weak class of unrestricted free agents. Dunn, 25, is worth taking a look at up close, depending on what the price is to trade for him.
DJ Wilson: The Bucks could use a big wing who can create for himself, drain 3s, and defend. The Knicks could use a young, springy talent in the frontcourt. The Bucks make sense as a possible destination for Morris. He could slide into that wing rotation and give them a good defender for the playoffs and give them flexibility with their lineups. The Bucks don’t have their own first-round pick, but they do have the Pacers’ pick, which right now is at No. 22. If they don’t want to part with a pick, the Bucks could try to center a trade around other assets, like Wilson and their 2021 second-round pick (also from Indiana). Wilson, 23, was the 17th pick in the 2017 draft, but hasn’t been able to hold onto a rotation spot in Milwaukee. Maybe a new start would be good for him and the Knicks would have him for the last year and a half of his contract.
Juan Hernang?mez and Malik Beasley: The Nuggets are in an enviable place: they have a lot of good players. That’s made it hard for Beasley, 23, and Hernang?mez, 24, to get a lot of playing time. Neither is averaging more than 17 minutes per game. Both will be restricted free agents this summer and this represents an opportunity for the Knicks to jump the restricted market and get a young talent a half-season early while also getting matching rights. Hernang?mez’s brother, Willy, played for the Knicks before and can give Juan a preview of the organization and the city. It’s an opportunity for the Knicks to get young talent in a different way.
Bogdan Bogdanovic: This would be another way to jump into free agency early. Bogdanovic is a good player stuck behind on the depth chart. The Kings have a deep backcourt with De’Aaron Fox and Buddy Hield, and also just committed nearly $90 million to Harrison Barnes. Bogdanovic, 27, can play either guard spot, is shooting 38 percent on 3s this season, and has size at 6-foot-6. He’d fit into New York’s roster seamlessly and is young enough to be part of the foundation. The Knicks have the cap space to re-sign him, too.
Harry Giles: Giles, 21, would be a classic Knicks buy-low move. He was the No. 2 player in his high school class and a former first-round pick. The Kings didn’t pick up Giles’ fourth-year option, so he will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. The price for him likely wouldn’t be that high and a deal only makes sense if the Knicks want to use the second half as an attempt to get an early look at Giles ahead of the summer. Anything more than a protected second-round pick seems like too much for Giles.
[h=3]Deals[/h] Marcus Morris to Portland: The Blazers are still in the playoff hunt despite a wretched start to the season. They desperately need help in the frontcourt even after bringing in Carmelo Anthony. Morris would give them the type of small-ball four they lost this summer when they traded Mo Harkless and watched Al-Farouq Aminu sign in Orlando. Perhaps a deal of Morris and Taj Gibson for Hassan Whiteside (an expiring) and a top-14 protected first-round pick can get it done. Or Morris and Gibson for Whiteside and rookie Nassir Little. Maybe the Blazers’ 2022 second-round pick can sweeten it for the Knicks.
Marcus Morris to Dallas: The Mavericks need to give Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis help. Morris could slot in to give a big frontcourt more shooting and give Dallas some protection in case Porzingis’ knee injury lingers deep into the season. Perhaps an offer of Courtney Lee, Jalen Brunson, Utah’s 2020 second-round pick, and the Warriors’ second-round pick can get it done?
Sacramento: Bogdanovic and DeWayne Dedmon to the Knicks, and the Mavericks’ 2021 first-round pick, Allonzo Trier, Taj Gibson, Bobby Portis, and a second rounder to the Kings. The Knicks would take on Dedmon, who wants out of Sacramento, as a tax for getting the best player and asset in the deal — Dedmon’s deal is partially guaranteed for 2021-22, so it doesn’t hurt their 2021 cap space. The Mavericks’ 2021 pick should probably be outside the top-18 or so, so it’s not that painful. The Knicks need to add on more to get to this done.

Hey Tiger,
U R deep off into it but there is one thing your forgot. Not being disagreeable, just an over site. Mills/Perry can't be allowed to make trades or draft picks. So as good as your in depth cover is there still the one factor they must be fired first.
I like the Portland one for Whiteside and 1st. That would solve the problem of Robinson having a young backup. Beside he played pretty good against us the last time.
Not sure why Knicks didn't look into Dedmon. Watched him with the Hawks and like what I saw they also had the kid Spleman(I think). Not trading Trier just yet!

** Question -- If and when we fire Mills/Perry and new people come in. What if they treat RJ the same way that Mills/Perry treat all of Phil/Gaines picks. He would have no protector outside of the hype. What do you think? BTW, What was the Knicks great need in 2019 draft? SG, SF or PF???

tiger0330

Legend
Said RJ reminded me of DeRozan who is a 4 time AS, DeRozan loves taking that mid-range jumper and only takes the occasional 3. I think RJ will replace what he does in the midrange with a 3 pt shot. Your opinion about RJ is out of sync with what I hear from other teams broadcasts, people have positive opinions about RJ. You're an iconoclast and you're entitled to your opinion about him though.

Right now the Knicks biggest need is a PG that can shoot and push the pace like Ja who I loved before he was drafted. This draft I'm hoping we can get LaMelo, he seemingly came out of nowhere attracting 13 NBA scouts to one of his games Down Under, and they came away impressed enough to make him a projected high lottery pick. He's not the explosive athlete Ja is but the Ball boys can pass the rock and he's got size, if the Knicks get a chance to select him that's who I'd draft.

I don't listen or pay very little attention to other evaluation of players. That I can do on my own. I trust me because of what I know not what someone says they know. Let hope I'm wrong about RJ but have you ever consider what if I'm right? Do you really think those other team broadcaster know anything about player evaluation. They are going to say nice things and go along with whatever the spin is on that player. They don't make waves with like that because they are trying to keep their job. If you want an honest evaluation in this day and time you have to do it yourself. Got know what to look for and you have to purpose the most difficult question about that player. See that something you haven't done about RJ and until you do maybe you will start answering question like the one I have asked you twice in different post. RJ is nothing like DeRozan(who is much faster with a 1st step). See that WISHFUL thinking on your part and I understand you want something to cheer for in a player.

I asked the question for the 3rd time-- What was the greatest need for Knicks in the 2019 draft? I know you done your homework. Answer the difficult question and start your own evaluation of RJ.

The Knicks and the league are in a sorry state because of these so-called people who think they know BB and the game. How do you think this league became a league of 3 pt shooting? Basketball is unique because of one factor that no other sport uses and that is HEIGHT. What the KNOW IT ALL have turn the league into is a league of midget running up and down the floor shooting 3's and no defense. This isn't BB, Tiger!!!

mafra

Legend
Knicks need was PG, SG, and SF.

You don?t draft for need at 3.... that?s foolishness. Best player available, unless all things are equal. RJ was clearly the third pick, just like JA second and Zion first.

You can debate merits of trading back.... which some said before draft.... but you can?t trade if you don?t have a partner. The thinking was 2 picks better than just a risky 1 pick. Now some think we could?ve grabbed 3 first rounders last draft, but that person never says who was offering that package

Why not dream and say we could?ve had 4 or 5 picks? Why stop at 3?

Anyway, anybody who went third.... that team was taking RJ, as he was clearly the third best prospect

Last edited: